Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 26, 2024, 11:40:00 am

Perry

Started by BannerMountainMan, July 17, 2017, 11:32:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: LRHog on July 18, 2017, 10:15:38 am
Either the kid is a loser and is full of darn with every thing he says.... or he's going there to get dad to shut the hell up.

Either way the Perry family is LAME.

And either way, the jewel of that vaunted recruiting class we have been hearing about for 3 years is now saying he will be playing at MSU.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 18, 2017, 10:23:21 am
So he was basically senior Jabril Durham then? Did you think Jabril Durham was a useful player for that disastrous 2015-2016 Razorback team? I bet if you asked Moses Kingsley, he'd say he was. PG that can get the big man the ball. We could have used that last season. Moses could have used it. I said in my post that he wasn't viewed as a miss at the time but he was a solid SEC player. Obviously. And the staff knew there would be a need at guard. I never said they should have gone all-out for him but they could have at least recruited him.
Nope, Jabril Durham was more impactful than him in that one year he was the starter. We just didn't have enough options or depth on that team. Come on dude, do you think Ready was an impactful player for Mississippi State? Was he solid, yes but impactful, no. Of course he was their best PG for them because they didn't have many other options but do you seriously think he was difference maker? You do know that he was benched at some point this past season and wasn't the starting PG for a while right? As a matter of fact I don't think he even started when we played them... :-\

And BTW I don't think that post I wrote was meant for you. It was intended for JayBell. But whatever, it is what it is.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on July 18, 2017, 10:28:19 am
And either way, the jewel of that vaunted recruiting class we have been hearing about for 3 years is now saying he will be playing at MSU.

in today's game i think Isiah Joe is the jewel of the class but that is just me.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 18, 2017, 10:43:07 am
Nope, Jabril Durham was more impactful than him in that one year he was the starter. We just didn't have enough options or depth on that team. Come on dude, do you think Ready was an impactful player for Mississippi State? Was he solid, yes but impactful, no. Of course he was their best PG for them because they didn't have many other options but do you seriously think he was difference maker? You do know that he was benched at some point this past season and wasn't the starting PG for a while right? As a matter of fact I don't think he even started when we played them... :-\

And BTW I don't think that post I wrote was meant for you but whatever.

Jabril Durham was 100% the starter for the Hogs his senior because we had no other options and Beard missed a 3rd of the season.

Ready was benched last season in favor of freshman PG Lamar Peters, who was a 4-star recruit and top 120 player. There was no such promising PG on the Hogs roster to bench Durham his senior year. It sounds like MSU actually had more options than Arkansas had.....

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 18, 2017, 10:43:07 am
And BTW I don't think that post I wrote was meant for you. It was intended for JayBell. But whatever, it is what it is.

Well, you quoted my post and addressed what I said in the post so....

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on July 18, 2017, 10:43:49 am
in today's game i think Isiah Joe is the jewel of the class but that is just me.

He may turn out to be, but he is not "the name" in that class people have been gushing over since they were 8th graders.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Youngsta71701

Quote from: 311Hog on July 18, 2017, 10:43:49 am
Exactly, a shooter that can also do everything else. If they don't know they will. Kid is severely underrated. About as solid a player as you can get at his age. Never in a hurry or anything, just plays the game the right way.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 18, 2017, 10:45:05 am
Jabril Durham was 100% the starter for the Hogs his senior because we had no other options and Beard missed a 3rd of the season.
Dude, what are you talking about? I was talking about Ready.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 18, 2017, 10:45:55 am
Well, you quoted my post and addressed what I said in the post so....
I quoted JayBell's post. See the bottom of page 3. Now I did quote you when I made the irrelevant statement. Maybe irrelevant was a strong word but you get what I'm trying to say. Ready was a solid player but not a world beater or an impact player.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on July 18, 2017, 10:45:56 am
He may turn out to be, but he is not "the name" in that class people have been gushing over since they were 8th graders.
I didn't know who the hell Perry was until last year. Now I knew who Malik Monk was in the 7th grade. Hmmm...see the difference.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 18, 2017, 10:47:19 am
I quoted JayBell's post. See the bottom of page 3.

And you quoted me first in reply #145 on Page 3.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 18, 2017, 10:50:47 am
And you quoted me first in reply #145 on Page 3.
See reply #159 then I think we'll be on the same page.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 18, 2017, 10:46:45 am
Dude, what are you talking about? I was talking about Ready.

I get that. But I'm making the comparison to Durham based on your description of Ready. A player only starting because of a lack of options. That was Durham. I knew I'd get you with that one. The problem here is that you're needlessly tearing down Ready when all that was said that he was a solid option for a recruiting class that the staff knew needed a guard and he was an in-state kid that wanted a Hog offer. He was a solid SEC player. That's all anyone is saying but you want to turn him into a garbage because MSU sucks but you say it wasn't Durham's fault Arkansas sucked his senior year. He sat the bench his junior year when the Hogs were good. It's the same thing. You can't think Ready wasn't any good while also thinking Durham earned his opportunity as a starter.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 18, 2017, 10:47:19 am
I quoted JayBell's post. See the bottom of page 3. Now I did quote you when I made the irrelevant statement. Maybe irrelevant was a strong word but you get what I'm trying to say. Ready was a solid player but not a world beater or an impact player.

I never touted him to be anything other than solid but, if you'll remember, we were unable to sign ANY guard for that class. He was definitely better than a ZERO.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 18, 2017, 10:55:51 am
I never touted him to be anything other than solid but, if you'll remember, we were unable to sign ANY guard for that class. He was definitely better than a ZERO.
We didn't even offer him.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 18, 2017, 10:58:45 am
We didn't even offer him.

I know. I'm saying we probably should have. It would seem easier to go after a 3-star guard from Arkansas than a 3 or 4-star guard for outside the state. They knew they'd be losing Powell and Young to the pros, and they had to have some kind feeling that Mickelson was transferring. That's two spots opening up. They could have taken on Ready, had their guard in hand, and still gone after the same guards they whiffed on. It was never in doubt that B.J. Young and Marshawn Powell were 100% leaving. They weren't going to change their minds.

But, again, it was not obvious miss at the time but I would say it was more confusing than the staff not offering Payton Willis for the 2016 class. I was just giving a backstory on I.J. Ready in my original post because some posters seemed to be unaware that he was from LR.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 18, 2017, 11:07:54 am
I know. I'm saying we probably should have. It would seem easier to go after a 3-star guard from Arkansas than a 3 or 4-star guard for outside the state. They knew they'd be losing Powell and Young to the pros, and they had to have some kind feeling that Mickelson was transferring. That's two spots opening up. They could have taken on Ready, had their guard in hand, and still gone after the same guards they whiffed on. It was never in doubt that B.J. Young and Marshawn Powell were 100% leaving. They weren't going to change their minds.

But, again, it was not obvious miss at the time but I would say it was more confusing than the staff not offering Payton Willis for the 2016 class. I was just giving a backstory on I.J. Ready in my original post because some posters seemed to be unaware that he was from LR.
Oh yeah, your right. I was thinking that myself when he and Beard were playing together in high school. But then I forgot about him until I seen him suited up for Mississippi State. He would have been a solid PG for us but he wasn't nearly on the same level as those top Arkansas kids that we offered but lost to the Kentucky's and Florida's of the world. Someone tried to put his name in the same category as them and it's just not the same.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 18, 2017, 10:54:19 am
I get that. But I'm making the comparison to Durham based on your description of Ready. A player only starting because of a lack of options. That was Durham. I knew I'd get you with that one. The problem here is that you're needlessly tearing down Ready when all that was said that he was a solid option for a recruiting class that the staff knew needed a guard and he was an in-state kid that wanted a Hog offer. He was a solid SEC player. That's all anyone is saying but you want to turn him into a garbage because MSU sucks but you say it wasn't Durham's fault Arkansas sucked his senior year. He sat the bench his junior year when the Hogs were good. It's the same thing. You can't think Ready wasn't any good while also thinking Durham earned his opportunity as a starter.
Like I said earlier irrelevant may have been a bit too strong I admit. He was a solid player indeed but when people try to put him in the same category with Goodwin, Monk, and Allen I'm just not seeing it. They were trying to build Ready up to make Mike look bad. Mike is a Razorback while Ready is not and was not.

JayBell

July 18, 2017, 12:18:09 pm #168 Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:36:49 pm by JayBell
Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 18, 2017, 11:44:03 amLike I said earlier irrelevant may have been a bit too strong I admit. He was a solid player indeed but when people try to put him in the same category with Goodwin, Monk, and Allen I'm just not seeing it. They were trying to build Ready up to make Mike look bad. Mike is a Razorback while Ready is not and was not.

Wow, you are just all over the place.  I didn't group Ready with Goodwin, Monk and Allen.  I grouped Ready with Ross, Reaves, Curry and Willis.  My point is that fans are already getting hit by this staff constantly missing out on elite recruits.  Missing in-state players who are starters and impact players for other D-1 programs is only going to further annoy fans, especially when they're getting looked over for Babb, Kapita, Whitt and even players the staff can't even land.

If you weren't just blindly defending anything and everything Anderson does, we could have a rational conversation about it without insulting players, especially Arkansas natives who started for SEC opponents.

hogsanity

Quote from: JayBell on July 18, 2017, 12:18:09 pm
Wow, you are just all over the place.  I didn't group Ready with Goodwin, Monk and Allen.  I grouped Ready with Ross, Reaves, Curry and Willis.  My point is that fans are already getting hit by this staff constantly missing out on those elite guys.  Missing in-state players who are starters and impact players for other D-1 programs is only going to further annoy fans, especially when they're getting looked over for Babb, Kapita, Whitt and even players the staff can't even land.

If you weren't just blindly defending anything and everything Anderson does, we could have a rational conversation about it without insulting players, especially Arkansas natives who started for SEC opponents.

It further annoys Hog fans, but sadly the guys you are trying to reason with are Mike fans above all, including the program they claim so dearly to love, all while crying fake tears just glad their hero is given $2mil a year for doing jack squat.

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogsanity on July 18, 2017, 12:32:56 pm
It further annoys Hog fans, but sadly the guys you are trying to reason with are Mike fans above all, including the program they claim so dearly to love, all while crying fake tears just glad their hero is given $2mil a year for doing jack squat.

What a crock of shiz.  Doing jack squat?  Give me a break.  The guy is rebuilding our program and has done a really good job, actually.  We're on track to get even better.

hogsanity

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 18, 2017, 12:44:09 pm
What a crock of shiz.  Doing jack squat?  Give me a break.  The guy is rebuilding our program and has done a really good job, actually.  We're on track to get even better.

2 ncaat appearances in 6 years, simply awesome.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: JayBell on July 18, 2017, 12:18:09 pm
Wow, you are just all over the place.  I didn't group Ready with Goodwin, Monk and Allen.  I grouped Ready with Ross, Reaves, Curry and Willis.  My point is that fans are already getting hit by this staff constantly missing out on those elite guys.  Missing in-state players who are starters and impact players for other D-1 programs is only going to further annoy fans, especially when they're getting looked over for Babb, Kapita, Whitt and even players the staff can't even land.

So your saying Ross (who was committed to Arkansas BTW but had to go another route because of grades), Reaves, Curry, and Willis are elite?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on July 18, 2017, 12:32:56 pm
Don't forget that you are a bash Mike fan above all. I am for whoever is the coach at Arkansas period until they aren't anymore. I even defended Pelphrey until he was no more. So don't even try it. And if I'm not mistaken Joe even defended Pelphrey until he was gone also. Whoever is the coach at Arkansas at that moment is MY GUY. WooDamnPig!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 18, 2017, 01:03:01 pm
Don't forget that you are a bash Mike fan above all. I am for whoever is the coach at Arkansas period until they aren't anymore. I even defended Pelphrey until he was no more. So don't even try it. And if I'm not mistaken Joe even defended Pelphrey until he was gone also. Whoever is the coach at Arkansas at that moment is MY GUY. WooDamnPig!!!

No, Joe turned on Pelphrey not long after Joe's famous tirade bout " better lock him up long term before Kentucky comes to take him as their coach ".

I really want Mike to be successful because that means the Hogs are, but he is not going to bring the program back to national relevance. Like it or not, today's college basketball is about getting elite players, it is more about recruiting than ever, and Mike just is not a good recruiter.

lynbug

OK, OK our recruiting endgame is weak.....for whatever reason.  But, we're gonna have to live with it cause it's probably not gonna change.  Next topic, please.

tophawg19

mikes classes are running in the top 20 and this one is easily top 10 . so yeah he can recruit
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on July 18, 2017, 01:09:34 pm
No, Joe turned on Pelphrey not long after Joe's famous tirade bout " better lock him up long term before Kentucky comes to take him as their coach ".

I really want Mike to be successful because that means the Hogs are, but he is not going to bring the program back to national relevance. Like it or not, today's college basketball is about getting elite players, it is more about recruiting than ever, and Mike just is not a good recruiter.
He did, lol, guess I wasn't on here for that part. However I do agree with you but I guess I give Mike more credit than you do. Is he a Calipari type recruiter? No. But is he as bad as you make him out to be? Hell no. And I know for a fact he is a much better coach than you choose to give him credit for.

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on July 18, 2017, 01:09:34 pm

Cough 'bull$hit' cough cough

Youngsta71701

Quote from: azhog10 on July 18, 2017, 01:49:42 pm
Cough 'bull$hit' cough cough
"but he is not going to bring the program back to national relevance."

Man I can't wait until he eats these words.

tophawg19

I think i read where he is a Ref . Lord i hope not because he is as biased as a person can be . Let one coach disagree with a call and he would be after him for life . I was getting mad at Mike at the half way point of the season and even started looking to see who was available . but MA turned it around and now is doing a great job recruiting
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 18, 2017, 01:53:15 pm
"but he is not going to bring the program back to national relevance."

Man I can't wait until he eats these words.

Well, he's had 6 seasons so far and hasn't sniffed national relevance. Got to make the sweet 16 AT LEAST a couple of times in a short span to be nationally relevant.

Quote from: lynbug on July 18, 2017, 01:40:26 pm
OK, OK our recruiting endgame is weak.....for whatever reason.  But, we're gonna have to live with it cause it's probably not gonna change.  Next topic, please.

The problem is recruiting is THE ENDGAME because if you can't get the talent you cant win the important games.

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 18, 2017, 01:46:50 pm
He did, lol, guess I wasn't on here for that part. However I do agree with you but I guess I give Mike more credit than you do. Is he a Calipari type recruiter? No. But is he as bad as you make him out to be? Hell no. And I know for a fact he is a much better coach than you choose to give him credit for.

Mike is a good coach, not bad, not great. I have consistently said that.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on July 18, 2017, 01:58:54 pm
Well, he's had 6 seasons so far and hasn't sniffed national relevance. Got to make the sweet 16 AT LEAST a couple of times in a short span to be nationally relevant.

The problem is recruiting is THE ENDGAME because if you can't get the talent you cant win the important games.

Mike is a good coach, not bad, not great. I have consistently said that.
So you want us to get rid of Mike and just go pluck the next GREAT coach? Just like that? It's that simple?

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 18, 2017, 02:02:21 pm
So you want us to get rid of Mike and just go pluck the next GREAT coach? Just like that? It's that simple?

I never said get rid of anyone, nor did I say it was ever simple. A school could go hire a guy that has been to 3 straight final 4's and there is no guarantee he will come close to that at his next stop. But the question is how long does a guy get? Lets suppose for a minute that this years team does not make the ncaat? That would be 5 out of 7 years. Just to get to .500 of making the ncaat Mike would have to make it in year 8 9 & 10. 10 years to make the nccat 5 times.

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on July 18, 2017, 02:23:36 pm
I never said get rid of anyone, nor did I say it was ever simple. A school could go hire a guy that has been to 3 straight final 4's and there is no guarantee he will come close to that at his next stop. But the question is how long does a guy get? Lets suppose for a minute that this years team does not make the ncaat? That would be 5 out of 7 years. Just to get to .500 of making the ncaat Mike would have to make it in year 8 9 & 10. 10 years to make the nccat 5 times.
I get upset when I think about how far Pel took the program as well...... :puke:

JayBell

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 18, 2017, 01:01:24 pmSo your saying Ross (who was committed to Arkansas BTW but had to go another route because of grades), Reaves, Curry, and Willis are elite?

I'm not, haven't and won't.  Everyone else who has read my posts knows that.