Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bret Bielema: 'Only a couple teams have that, and they're the elite teams'

Started by gchamblee, July 16, 2017, 06:26:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gchamblee

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Bret-Bielema-Only-a-couple-teams-have-that-and-theyre-the-elite-teams

"I've coached 51 games at Arkansas. The first 20, I was tied for dead last with Kentucky for the worst record (in the SEC). In the last 20, we're tied for fourth, second in the West," he said. "Alabama is No. 1, and we're tied with LSU for the fourth spot, Florida and Georgia above us.

"To go from 14th to fourth, it's not where I want to be, but it's a great push in the right direction."

presidenthog

It makes me wonder how Bobby had 4 good linemen. Literally when bret got here the 2013/14 line was considered the step best unit by far.

How could an offense only guy get more than a defense guy.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: presidenthog on July 16, 2017, 06:50:45 pm
It makes me wonder how Bobby had 4 good linemen. Literally when bret got here the 2013/14 line was considered the step best unit by far.

How could an offense only guy get more than a defense guy.

Because before he was fired he was actually building the defense up. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HamSammich

I think I support CBB more than the average fan here but I cringed when I read that article. Changing the defense because you can't evaluate the three star defensive linemen better seems poor. Then the excuse making as to why the defense was down.

Newsflash CBB, it want just the defensive linemen. The linebackers unable to shed blocks and be in position as with our safety's looking lost on some plays had a YUGGGE part to play.

PossumFan

Quote from: HamSammich on July 16, 2017, 07:11:09 pm

Newsflash CBB, it want just the defensive linemen. The linebackers unable to shed blocks and be in position as with our safety's looking lost on some plays had a YUGGGE part to play.

You really think he doesn't know this?

wildhogman

fourth place the last two years. That ain't too bad.  Course I'll leave the actually tally and facts to those that like arguing them.  I prefer to take it as good news.  A lil hope.  I'd thought more then Bama would have been ahead of us in the west. Even just using the last two years

luke hawg

This is a very good sign shows Bret is not to stubborn for growth. I think finding ways to field a more competitive defense has been a problem for years. The idea of changing the defense to minimize our weakness is a positive.

PorkRinds

I think I support CBB more than the average fan here but I cringed when I read that article. Changing the defense because you can't evaluate the three star defensive linemen better seems poor. Then the excuse making as to why the defense was down.

I mean, he's right. The big, elite DL aren't all that easy to stack up.  It's easier to find athletes you can turn into DB's and hybrid LB's.

gchamblee

i lol'd

LZH

Quote from: wildhogman on July 16, 2017, 10:07:02 pm
fourth place the last two years. That ain't too bad.  Course I'll leave the actually tally and facts to those that like arguing them.  I prefer to take it as good news.  A lil hope.  I'd thought more then Bama would have been ahead of us in the west. Even just using the last two years

Sounds like he'd flash an SECW Championship ring if he had one.

Even though what he said is true, it comes across sounding like he's saying "fifty!, fifty!"

gchamblee

Quote from: LZH on July 17, 2017, 05:32:15 am

Even though what he said is true, it comes across sounding like he's saying "fifty!, fifty!"

it bothers you when he answers a question and doesn't apologize doesn't it

GuvHog

Sure he would. That would be a great accomplishment that he hasn't come close to achieving at Arkansas..........Yet.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

prattville pig

Life's too short to last long.

hogsanity

This is not new news, it has been that way since the Hogs joined the SEC. The teams that seemingly dominate have quality DLmen stacked 3 deep, and a majority of them come from close to campus/in state.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Polecat

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 16, 2017, 10:34:28 pm
I mean, he's right. The big, elite DL aren't all that easy to stack up.  It's easier to find athletes you can turn into DB's and hybrid LB's.

truth
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: gchamblee on July 16, 2017, 06:26:18 pm
http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Bret-Bielema-Only-a-couple-teams-have-that-and-theyre-the-elite-teams

"I've coached 51 games at Arkansas. The first 20, I was tied for dead last with Kentucky for the worst record (in the SEC). In the last 20, we're tied for fourth, second in the West," he said. "Alabama is No. 1, and we're tied with LSU for the fourth spot, Florida and Georgia above us.

"To go from 14th to fourth, it's not where I want to be, but it's a great push in the right direction."
Of course CBB is spinning his tenure in the most positive light, but on the other hand I don't disagree. I don't really hold the first year against him, and that was 0-8. (I do think they should have won a game or two, though, mainly the two Miss school games in LR that year). He did inherit a tough situation.
Another great number is that I believe about 27 of those 51 games were against ranked teams. I use this number sometimes when people want to compare football vs basketball. I would like someone to crunch the same numbers for hoops.
I'm not the most huge CBB fan, but there is no doubt he does a good job.

PorkRyan

The problem with just focusing on the SEC record is that you leave out the Texas Tech and Toledo debacles and the collapse vs Va Tech.

EastexHawg

He tied for next to last in the West last year, but if we subtract out BOTH the first and the last years...

gchamblee

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 17, 2017, 03:02:30 pm
He tied for next to last in the West last year, but if we subtract out BOTH the first and the last years...

He compared his first 20 games to his last 20 games. If you would like to change the data to make it look bad enough for your stamp of approval I would be happy to see it. No matter how hard you try, you can't turn what he said into a lie.

gchamblee

Quote from: PorkRyan on July 17, 2017, 03:02:18 pm
The problem with just focusing on the SEC record is that you leave out the Texas Tech and Toledo debacles and the collapse vs Va Tech.

I get it, you won't be happy until he answers every question asked of him by a reporter with "I suck". But, some of us are still interested in what is really happening with the program and what is being done to address issues.... this thread is for those people. There are a few threads you will enjoy if you look.

hogsanity

Bobby isnt coming back, but I am sure Louisville has a message board you could follow him on.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawgon

Well, he is doing a bang up job of "giving us something we've never had before."

PorkRyan

Quote from: gchamblee on July 17, 2017, 03:19:34 pm
I get it, you won't be happy until he answers every question asked of him by a reporter with "I suck". But, some of us are still interested in what is really happening with the program and what is being done to address issues.... this thread is for those people. There are a few threads you will enjoy if you look.

What does anything you posted have to do with me and others pointing out that Bielema cherry picked his stats?   

LZH

Quote from: gchamblee on July 17, 2017, 08:19:09 am
it bothers you when he answers a question and doesn't apologize doesn't it

Immensely. I'll keep you posted.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on July 17, 2017, 03:34:14 pm
Bobby isnt coming back, but I am sure Louisville has a message board you could follow him on.

You made excuses for Nutt year after year, so it's not surprising our recent SEC records are right up your alley.

tophawg19

you do know we changed out several coaches to fix this issue right . HOTH has been giving inside insight into all that went on but a number of people either won't listen, don't want to hear it or have an agenda that doesn't fit it. Mike Irwin is pretty much telling you the same thing
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

MuskogeeHogFan

So many on this board just absolutely love having a "snarky take" on what we have seen so far. Does it make you feel superior to do so, as if you all know something that all of the rest of us haven't witnessed?

I don't think that any of us are completely satisfied with what we have seen on the field.

To me, this season is a "truth telling" year. 5th season at the helm, plenty of time to recruit your way out of problems despite our recruiting disadvantage. You have a OC in whom you have confidence, a DC who it seems that you have confidence in and a change to a 3-4 that fits our defensive personnel better. This is the year that we need to achieve better things. Need to win 9 in the regular season or at least 8 with every single game being absolutely competitive and not just giving games away after building a lead.

No reason to win less than 7 this year in the regular season, top end being 10. Need to get focused and get it done.
Go Hogs Go!

TNRazorbacker

Hey if you carve out the games that were lost in years 1 - 4 he's 25-0. Impressive.

BoarnSupremacy

(notOM)Rebel123

In Bobby's best year he couldn't get within 3 TD's of Bama & LSU.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

HamSammich

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 17, 2017, 07:02:22 pm
you do know we changed out several coaches to fix this issue right . HOTH has been giving inside insight into all that went on but a number of people either won't listen, don't want to hear it or have an agenda that doesn't fit it. Mike Irwin is pretty much telling you the same thing

lol I know we've changed several darn coaches every darn year. It was "fixed" once with Robb smith and Hogville had forum parades in his honor. Two years later it was firing and more excuses.

Gonzo

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 17, 2017, 10:18:17 pm

Absolutely correct (and one of HV's favorite drumbeats, along with 21-5 to be fair).........but don't fail to mention that outside of each other, only 2 teams did that year, MSU to both and Penn St to Bama, all road games for them rather than in Tuscaloosa or Baton Rouge. Looks to me like the Hogs that year played both as tough as anyone in the country. Yeah, they were only the third best team in the division, how awful. They still may very well have been the third best team in the country.

Go Hogs!

pigmailyen

Quote from: hawgon on July 17, 2017, 03:35:43 pm
Well, he is doing a bang up job of "giving us something we've never had before."

It is uncommon.

HamSammich

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 17, 2017, 07:45:02 pm
and a change to a 3-4 that fits our defensive personnel better.

Really? I mean really? You seem like a smart guy..... really?

ZERO

Technically he did if it's three TD's and three successful conversions :-P
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

presidenthog

Quote from: HamSammich on July 18, 2017, 12:50:15 am

How do you not see how sosa is a prototypical 3-4 end?

Maybe you haven't noticed, but bijon for sure seems like a NT to me. Also Randy Ramsey fits better in this scheme.

Also to give you a heads up, but every defensive end we have signed over the years have been agim's size.  I posted a thread at the beginning of last season claiming we had a DE issue. We had plenty of seniors last year but I couldn't see where there was any more because we had recruited big DE's and they all bulked up to DT size. You might not see it, but I've seen this coming over the last 2 years of recruiting.

My issue is I'm not sure that it was on purpose. It seems to have been done by accident, and it just so happens we have the pieces to complete the set.

gchamblee

Quote from: Gonzo on July 17, 2017, 10:54:31 pm

Absolutely correct (and one of HV's favorite drumbeats, along with 21-5 to be fair).........but don't fail to mention that outside of each other, only 2 teams did that year, MSU to both and Penn St to Bama, all road games for them rather than in Tuscaloosa or Baton Rouge. Looks to me like the Hogs that year played both as tough as anyone in the country. Yeah, they were only the third best team in the division, how awful. They still may very well have been the third best team in the country.

Go Hogs!

you're just makin excuses

gchamblee

Quote from: presidenthog on July 18, 2017, 02:06:28 am
How do you not see how sosa is a prototypical 3-4 end?

Maybe you haven't noticed, but bijon for sure seems like a NT to me. Also Randy Ramsey fits better in this scheme.

Also to give you a heads up, but every defensive end we have signed over the years have been agim's size.  I posted a thread at the beginning of last season claiming we had a DE issue. We had plenty of seniors last year but I couldn't see where there was any more because we had recruited big DE's and they all bulked up to DT size. You might not see it, but I've seen this coming over the last 2 years of recruiting.

My issue is I'm not sure that it was on purpose. It seems to have been done by accident, and it just so happens we have the pieces to complete the set.

ill help you with that. all hamm knows about football is that the team with the most points at the end of the game is the winner. that is literally all he knows.

LZH

But if you remove those games, we were undefeated!

Tusks

Here's the thing, finishing #5 in the country is the new bar.  Hog fans experienced it, cheered it and loved it.  I don't care what snippets or window of games CBB wants to look at.  He needs to start closing out the games the hogs are in and work his way to a #5 ranking in the next couple of years.

If he loses to bama I don't care, he needs to get the hogs back in the top 10.  And yes 'insert hogville name here' finishing in the top 10 matters.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HamSammich on July 18, 2017, 12:50:15 am

I'm really smart enough to know that a 3-4 fits our current personnel better than a 4-3.
Go Hogs Go!

ImHogginIt

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Gonzo

factchecker

Mississippi State ran a 3-4 last year - it seems like they change DC's every year so I don't know what they will run moving forward:

http://static.hailstate.com/custompages/pdf/fb/fb_notes_arkmsu16.pdf

I believe Kentucky runs a 3-4 hybrid under Coach Mark Stoops.  They list one of the defensive ends as a d-end/outside linebacker:

https://kty-platform-secure-prod.silverchalice.co/v3/files/58331a55e4b0d2586f3476f6

Even though they got beat by Southern Miss early in the year - Kentucky was able to beat a pretty good team late in the season:

Oklahoma runs a 3-4 defense as well.  We can only hope our defense can perform as well as this:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: tusked on July 18, 2017, 06:51:53 am
Here's the thing, finishing #5 in the country is the new bar.  Hog fans experienced it, cheered it and loved it.  I don't care what snippets or window of games CBB wants to look at.  He needs to start closing out the games the hogs are in and work his way to a #5 ranking in the next couple of years.

If he loses to bama I don't care, he needs to get the hogs back in the top 10.  And yes 'insert hogville name here' finishing in the top 10 matters.
Agreed.
I made a wager in 2013 of $1000 that Arkansas would not finish in the Top 5 in the country within the next four years. That was the tenure of Petrino's time, four years.
I knew how well we had it. I appreciated it for all it's worth. I knew how special it was. Hadn't happened in 34 years, that's all you need to know.
I knew Bielema was a good coach but he wasn't in Petrino's class.
Funny no one took me up on it.
Four years has passed now.
Guess they knew they were going to losing that $1000. Everyone 'shut up' instead of 'put up'.

gchamblee

You act like he cherry picked stats. Comparing his first 20 games, which looked horrible, to his last 20 games is a fair comparison. You guys simply get pissed if the data EVER contradicts your disdain for the man. You expect the man to hang his head in shame and do nothing but apologize and grovel every time a reporter asks him a question and he is not that type of man. I don't think any coach is, at least not any that will ever win anything. I could understand being pissed if he wasn't taking steps to correct issues and trying to improve, but you are critical of him for doing EXACTLY that.

When he discusses the steps he has taken to correct poor performance, some of us want to read it and follow the progress. This thread is for those fans, not you cheap shot artists.

gchamblee

Bacons Rebellion

Sounds like he'd flash an SECW Championship ring if he had one...

It reassures me to know that if we win a SECW Championship, people will still have a reason to complain about CBB.

ZERO

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 18, 2017, 10:15:34 am
I made a wager in 2013 of $1000 that Arkansas would not finish in the Top 5 in the country within the next four years. That was the tenure of Petrino's time, four years.
I knew how well we had it. I appreciated it for all it's worth. I knew how special it was. Hadn't happened in 34 years,

I wouldn't have made any kind of wager or bet that Bobby Petrino would have finished #5 or better within four years of 2011. It's fair to expect a bit more than we're getting now, but only Alabama and Ohio State can have those kinds of reasonable expectations right now. Maybe also Michigan moving forward. In other words, not even the full top five programs in the country right now should expect to end in the top five every year.

Here's the thing, finishing #5 in the country is the new bar.

I really hope most of our fans don't agree with this. New "bar"? It was a one-time personal best. A personal best does not equal a standard. He was here four years and finished in the top ten one time. I'm not trying to downplay what Petrino accomplished, but I feel like he's benefiting a bit from a James Dean effect. He got fired at the peak of his bell curve, we didn't see the more grounded 9-4/#20ish  year that 2012 was probably going to be after opening the season at #10. I believe he's ten times the gameday coach Bielema is, but he was the best coach we've had since Hatfield, not the best coach we've ever had since the 1800s. Maybe I wouldn't hold this opinion if I thought Bobby would have been here until he won the SEC, but I know with a person like Petrino, it's just a matter of time. Why would I make excuses for that?
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."