Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reggie Perry has officially decommited

Started by BannerMountainMan, June 24, 2017, 05:06:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on July 17, 2017, 07:44:13 pm
Happened. Saw a tv show about it. A guy named Bo Darvill helped in a black Trans Am

Must of have been the same guy that wrote about them old cotton fields back home, "it was down in Louisiana, just about a mile from Texarkana".  I live in Texarkana and the Louisiana line is at least 20 to 25 miles at it's closest point. 
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

TexArkHogFan

There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 18, 2017, 07:45:38 am
Because unless you grow up in Arkansas and are a Hog fan, Mike Anderson cannot recruit you to Arkansas.

Michael Qualls, Jaylen Barford, Jacorey Williams, Moses Kingsley, Anthlon Bell, and Jabril Durham have been solid to very good players for the Razorbacks.

azhog10

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on July 18, 2017, 09:16:28 am
Michael Qualls, Jaylen Barford, Jacorey Williams, Moses Kingsley, Anthlon Bell, and Jabril Durham have been solid to very good players for the Razorbacks.
Just ignore him. He's pouting like a big baby. Everything is Mike's fault because it's not like he had the kid fully committed. To the point the kid wrote a long letter about how this is his Kentucky/Kansas. This was where he wanted to go and win a 'ship at. No one forced him to say that, and then out of the blue he changes his mind. Either very fickle or had $ome $upport to change hi$ mind.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 18, 2017, 07:45:38 am
Because unless you grow up in Arkansas and are a Hog fan, Mike Anderson cannot recruit you to Arkansas.

Ignore the 4 "posters" who still think Mike Anderson is a HOF coach. The rest of us knew what the program was getting when he was hired, and that is exactly what he turned out to be. A good man, a average coach, and a poor recruiter that would get the Hogs around the bubble most years, and every 3 or 4 years have a season like last year ( which only got them a 8 seed ).
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 17, 2017, 09:57:09 pm
I leave you to re-writng history. The year we won National Championship how many players off that team went on to a successful NBA career?
Stop dancing around the question. I listed a litany of great recruits...all signed by Nolan...as an example of 'great recruiting then' versus 'average recruiting now'.
And that is the reason we were an elite program then versus now.
You're changing the subject into 'how many played in the pros'. Different discussion.
Does it matter if Darnell Robinson was a great pro? Ron Huery? Corliss?
Generally speaking, we all should know the more McDonald's and Parade type recruits you sign the more success you will have. That was certainly true in our case. It's true today also. Hard to make the Final 4 without some of those guys.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on July 17, 2017, 10:05:27 pm
One. Corliss.  Beck and McDaniel spent a season or two in the league. Darnell Robinson was drafted but never played in the NBA.
That would be like saying how many Tar Heels from the 2009 championship team, or whatever, went on to become great pros.
Certainly wasn't Tyler Hansbrough.
Doesn't matter, though. Hansbrough, like Corliss, was a top recruit in his time and was a terrific college basketball player. Doesn't matter what happened in the pros.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 18, 2017, 08:02:14 am
Making way too much sense for Hogville to adopt this fact.
What really has changed that much?
Duke and UNC are still winning championships at times.
They have a few one-and-dones, and a mixture of other good players.
K and Williams I'm sure are old-school and hate the one-and-done, but they adapt and have a few.

The bottom line is this: Coach A would take a one-and-done in a heartbeat. Like Monk. He just hasn't gotten one yet.

LRHog

Lmao. What a loser. If this is the kids mentality then good riddance. "My kentucky, duke, and kansas" kid is so full of darn it's disgusting. Dont wish him luck anywhere and hope he blows against every opponent. Kid is mentally weak and a liar to boot.

"Gotta help my sick daddy from florida"
*Flies to mississppi state*

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 18, 2017, 07:56:39 am
What I said had nothing to do with recruiting. It has everything to do with Mike doing it the right way rather he gets all the best recruits or not he's not going to do anything shady or shameful to the program to get them. We might not get many 5 stars but we do however get plenty of 4 stars. And the last time I checked 4 stars are not too bad. ;)

Maybe some of us just want a Bobby Petrino repeat or something IDK...
And I believe Nolan did it the 'right way'. Did he not? I don't think he was cheating.
Not buying the premise that you can't have integrity today and recruit well at the same time.
Mike recruits fairly well (Kingsley, Portis, Barford, etc), just not at Nolan's level.
Or even Avery Johnson. I'm always skeptical about Alabama basketball being consistently good, but he's bringing in some boys. I think Avery has integrity.

ArkansasI

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 18, 2017, 08:01:17 am
Wasn't many Arkansas kids at the time that were good enough to even play for Arkansas so why would Kentucky want them? Nolan did however recruit a lot of Memphis kids. Come again?

Razorback basketball starts and ends in the State of Arkansas.  Any hope of being nationally competitive demands that the University of Arkansas sign the best players from Arkansas.  Until the fence is built, we should expect to be no better than mediocre.

This is not about Reggie Perry.  Reggie is not from Arkansas.

This is about every player from Arkansas that is contributing positive minutes to a school in another state that competes at the highest level of college basketball.  If you can't convince the best to stay home, then you have no reasonable expectation for an out-of-state recruit to come to your university.

Eddie built his program with great in-state talent.  He may have missed out on a few, but the rare group of Arkansans that became known as "The Triplets" attracted national attention that allowed him to build a sustainable program.

Nolan built his Arkansas program by recruiting "over" the in-state talent.  He grabbed what talent was here, but Nolan took what Arkansas had to offer and added better players - most from nearby.  In-state players hoped to be a part of the good that was happening on the Hill.

Until this year, Mike has done neither of the above.  I'm happy that the best Arkansans appear to be staying home this year.  My excitement is tempered by the fact that there may be no Corliss or Joe in this class that required Mike to compete for their signatures.

Maybe this class will become that rare group that puts Arkansas back on the map.  I hope so.  Until they do, it is clear that we are no where near relevant to elite basketball players - regardless of where they come from.

My concern is that players may not consider Arkansas (or end up leaving Arkansas) for reasons that have little to do with the University of Arkansas.  If this is true, then we must look to the head coach.

FWIW, I believe this is the reason Nolan lost some Arkansas recruits.  It seemed many players that Nolan recruited had little hope for success outside of basketball.  Recruits see that...

The one and done conversation is laughable.  Cal has nearly everyone smoked on this issue.  It should take about 10 minutes to deconstruct his argument that Kentucky is the best place for these players - just as Memphis was before Kentucky...  Whatever.  Truth is the kids are star struck.  But Cal worked hard to develop a brand and become the star that moves the needle.

Mike has to do the same thing... he must be able to convince Arkansans that he has known for years to stay home.  It's his job.  And Mike had the benefit of starting his journey on top of a Hall of Fame coach.

Hawg Red

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 18, 2017, 10:03:34 am
What really has changed that much?
Duke and UNC are still winning championships at times.
They have a few one-and-dones, and a mixture of other good players.
K and Williams I'm sure are old-school and hate the one-and-done, but they adapt and have a few.

The bottom line is this: Coach A would take a one-and-done in a heartbeat. Like Monk. He just hasn't gotten one yet.

You're severely out of touch you can't see how much recruiting has changed since the mid 90s or even early 00s.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 18, 2017, 10:18:01 am
You're severely out of touch you can't see how much recruiting has changed since the mid 90s or even early 00s.
The usual suspects are still recruiting well. Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Mich St.
Arkansas was, but not so much anymore.
Yet you blame the 'changing of the times' as the problem, rather than the coach. Not buying it.
How come those schools still recruit well then?

Recruiting was then, and always will be, all about who the head coach is. Period. Kids take a shine to a certain coach and they decide they want to play for him. Nolan had that appeal for a while. It's not any different today.

I know what you're saying. One-and-done makes it different now. But to me it's not the rule. Kids still go to the coach they want to play for. Calipari is going to recruit well in whatever era he's in, because kids gravitate to him for some reason. He's a great recruiter. I don't even believe he loves the one-and-done rule. But that's the rule and he embraces it and has built this machine. He recruited great at Memphis too. Even had Amare Stoudemire committed to there(Memphis?).

Hawg Red

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 18, 2017, 10:23:56 am
Yet you blame the 'changing of the times' as the problem, rather than the coach. Not buying it.

Recruiting was then, and always will be, all about who the head coach is. Period. Kids take a shine to a certain coach and they decide they want to play for him. Nolan had that appeal for a while. It's not any different today.

I know what you're saying. One-and-done makes it different now. But to me it's not the rule. Kids still go to the coach they want to play for. Calipari is going to recruit well in whatever era he's in, because kids gravitate to him for some reason. He's a great recruiter. I don't even believe he loves the one-and-done rule. But that's the rule and he embraces it and has built this machine. He recruited great at Memphis too. Even had Amare Stoudemire committed to there(Memphis?).

Show me where I blamed the changing times of Arkansas not recruiting well. Just echoing that it's hard to compare Nolan's recruiting to Mike's because circumstances are so much different. Nolan was flat-out a better recruiter and coach than Mike. I'm not blaming anything away. That's just want you want me to be saying, I guess.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 18, 2017, 10:07:17 am
And I believe Nolan did it the 'right way'. Did he not? I don't think he was cheating.
Not buying the premise that you can't have integrity today and recruit well at the same time.
Mike recruits fairly well (Kingsley, Portis, Barford, etc), just not at Nolan's level.
Or even Avery Johnson. I'm always skeptical about Alabama basketball being consistently good, but he's bringing in some boys. I think Avery has integrity.
Are you going to sit here and tell me that you don't think a lot of the coaches and programs today aren't cheating or at least toeing the line? if not then you are very naïve my friend.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 18, 2017, 10:09:47 am
Razorback basketball starts and ends in the State of Arkansas.  Any hope of being nationally competitive demands that the University of Arkansas sign the best players from Arkansas.  Until the fence is built, we should expect to be no better than mediocre.

This is not about Reggie Perry.  Reggie is not from Arkansas.

This is about every player from Arkansas that is contributing positive minutes to a school in another state that competes at the highest level of college basketball.  If you can't convince the best to stay home, then you have no reasonable expectation for an out-of-state recruit to come to your university.

Eddie built his program with great in-state talent.  He may have missed out on a few, but the rare group of Arkansans that became known as "The Triplets" attracted national attention that allowed him to build a sustainable program.

Nolan built his Arkansas program by recruiting "over" the in-state talent.  He grabbed what talent was here, but Nolan took what Arkansas had to offer and added better players - most from nearby.  In-state players hoped to be a part of the good that was happening on the Hill.

Until this year, Mike has done neither of the above.  I'm happy that the best Arkansans appear to be staying home this year.  My excitement is tempered by the fact that there may be no Corliss or Joe in this class that required Mike to compete for their signatures.

Maybe this class will become that rare group that puts Arkansas back on the map.  I hope so.  Until they do, it is clear that we are no where near relevant to elite basketball players - regardless of where they come from.

My concern is that players may not consider Arkansas (or end up leaving Arkansas) for reasons that have little to do with the University of Arkansas.  If this is true, then we must look to the head coach.

FWIW, I believe this is the reason Nolan lost some Arkansas recruits.  It seemed many players that Nolan recruited had little hope for success outside of basketball.  Recruits see that...

The one and done conversation is laughable.  Cal has nearly everyone smoked on this issue.  It should take about 10 minutes to deconstruct his argument that Kentucky is the best place for these players - just as Memphis was before Kentucky...  Whatever.  Truth is the kids are star struck.  But Cal worked hard to develop a brand and become the star that moves the needle.

Mike has to do the same thing... he must be able to convince Arkansans that he has known for years to stay home.  It's his job.  And Mike had the benefit of starting his journey on top of a Hall of Fame coach.
I agree with this 100% but the truth is we have way more top players coming out of Arkansas these days than we did when Nolan was the coach. That's all I'm saying. We didn't have many players in those days that Kentucky even wanted. And I do agree we need to find every way possible to keep the top kids in our state from going elsewhere outside of cheating.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 18, 2017, 10:23:56 am

You do know he cheated at UMass and Memphis just like he's doing now don't you? Examples: Marcus Camby - UMass, Derrick Rose - Memphis. I'm sure there are others that just haven't come out yet. Just saying...A zebra can only hide it's stripes for so long.

kp72204

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on July 17, 2017, 07:44:13 pm
Happened. Saw a tv show about it. A guy named Bo Darvill helped in a black Trans Am
Didn't ever happen!!! That ain't never been done before!!!

zebradynasty

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 18, 2017, 10:00:47 am
That would be like saying how many Tar Heels from the 2009 championship team, or whatever, went on to become great pros.
Certainly wasn't Tyler Hansbrough.
Doesn't matter, though. Hansbrough, like Corliss, was a top recruit in his time and was a terrific college basketball player. Doesn't matter what happened in the pros.

The point I was making was that the 1994 team was not loaded with 4 and 5 star players. Yet we won it all. Nolan was telling the truth he never had superior talented teams he got kids that could run HIS system. The 1990 final four team IMO had more overall talent than the 1994 Championship team. It also had more nationally ranked players on it. Mike needs more talent because his (Nolan) system isn't as exotic anymore. It will still work but needs more talent.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 18, 2017, 11:06:30 am
The point I was making was that the 1994 team was not loaded with 4 and 5 star players. Yet we won it all. Nolan was telling the truth he never had superior talented teams he got kids that could run HIS system. The 1990 final four team IMO had more overall talent than the 1994 Championship team. It also had more nationally ranked players on it. Mike needs more talent because his (Nolan) system isn't as exotic anymore. It will still work but needs more talent.
The fact is that a lot of schools have caught up with that style of play. As a matter of fact a lot schools have adopted it that's why it's not as successful or new as it used to be. Do you think Kentucky runs a lot of plays? No. They just have a lot of better players to do basically the same thing that we do. That's why it's plain and simple now days. You have to have better players and if we keep on winning that will take care of itself.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 18, 2017, 11:47:21 am

You have to have better players and if we keep on winning that will take care of itself.

Yes, I am sure top level recruits are enamored with a program that has gone to the ncaat twice in Mike's 5 years, as a 5 seed and a 8 seed, and both times won 1 game.

We have heard this in basketball and football for over a decade " Win and they will come " usually right after we hear " you gotta have players to win ". Well, which is it?

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on July 18, 2017, 11:55:48 am
Yes, I am sure top level recruits are enamored with a program that has gone to the ncaat twice in Mike's 5 years, as a 5 seed and a 8 seed, and both times won 1 game.

We have heard this in basketball and football for over a decade " Win and they will come " usually right after we hear " you gotta have players to win ". Well, which is it?
Exactly, that's why I said we have to keep winning and if we do that the better players will start to come and we will win even more. Mike has won at a pretty good clip with mainly 3 stars. But have you not noticed lately how we are starting to sign more 4 stars than 3 stars. Hmmm...starting to make sense now? It's called building. We aren't nearly a finished product yet my friend. And that's the point we haven't won in basketball in a while and now we are starting to. Hopefully Beilema can get us back to that Petrino level in football. If you expect Mike to ever get us back to the Sutton and Nolan era you can go ahead and fire him now because it may never happen. Not saying he can't but the odds are against him

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogsanity on July 18, 2017, 11:55:48 am

So considering the shape the program was in when he got it (So bad that NO big name coaches submitted a resume) Where did you expect him to be after 5 years. Losing to North Carolina in the NCAAT is a failure? Not even Kentucky has that high of standard!

The Hogfather

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 18, 2017, 12:13:31 pm
So considering the shape the program was in when he got it (So bad that NO big name coached submitted a resume) Where did you expect him to be after 5 years. Losing to North Carolina in the NCAAT is a failure? Not even Kentucky has that high of standard!

Got screwed by the zebras!  :)

zebradynasty

hogsanity

So considering the shape the program was in when he got it (So bad that NO big name coaches submitted a resume) Where did you expect him to be after 5 years. Losing to North Carolina in the NCAAT is a failure? Not even Kentucky has that high of standard!

Well, with the highest rated recruiting class the program had seen in over a decade coming in with Mike it really was not in bad shape. Pelphrey had fixed alot of the apr issues too.

That aside, I expected going into year 6 to be right where they are because they have a coach that is a great guy, a good coach, and a poor recruiter.

What's really funny though is some of his most ardent backers continually point out how much talent there is in state, and how we need to just wait until that talent comes to the hill, yet much of it only comes to the hill wearing another schools uniform.

The Hogfather

I'm still excited for the future.  We have a good nucleus coming back.  The guys we have coming in will help and will be really good for us in the future.  We have some other studs still committed from future classes.  Just sucks that a guy that made just about the most solid, convincing commitment statement when committing to the Hogs can turn do a 180 just like that.  Nobody will convince me there is not $hady $tuff going on behind the $cene$.

Will someone start a thread with the full commitment statement from Perry when he committed to the Hogs?  I think everyone needs to read it to see where his head was just several months ago.  I saw it in here somewhere last night.  If you read that, look at what has happened since he got back from overseas, what he has said since then, and where he is going, I really don't think you can honestly say everything is on the up-and-up.

Youngsta71701

July 18, 2017, 12:44:22 pm #477 Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:57:58 pm by Youngsta71701
Quote from: The Hogfather on July 18, 2017, 12:40:03 pm
I'm still excited for the future.  We have a good nucleus coming back.  The guys we have coming in will help and will be really good for us in the future.  We have some other studs still committed from future classes.  Just sucks that a guy that made just about the most solid, convincing commitment statement when committing to the Hogs can turn do a 180 just like that.  Nobody will convince me there is not $hady $tuff going on behind the $cene$.

Will someone start a thread with the full commitment statement from Perry when he committed to the Hogs?  I think everyone needs to read it to see where his head was just several months ago.  I saw it in here somewhere last night.  If you read that, look at what has happened since he got back from overseas, what he has said since then, and where he is going, I really don't think you can honestly say everything is on the up-and-up.
When you dislike someone the way hogsanity dislikes Mike it's hard to give them credit when they deserve it but it's very easy to blame anything that doesn't go wrong on them. Don't you know? It's Mike fault Arkansas didn't repeat in 95. ;D

Atlhogfan1

Why would they have submitted a resume when we didn't do a coaching search?   Long hired who he had to hire.

Arkansas Razorbacks (Southeastern Conference) (2011–present)
2011–12   Arkansas   18–14   6–10   9th   
2012–13   Arkansas   19–13   10–8   7th   
2013–14   Arkansas   22–12   10–8   5th   NIT Second Round
2014–15   Arkansas   27–9   13–5   2nd   NCAA Round of 32
2015–16   Arkansas   16–16   9–9   T–8th   
2016–17   Arkansas   26–10   12–6   T–3rd   NCAA Round of 32

Considering the schedules we have played, after 6 seasons I expected to be a little better than this.  Not much as I knew what we were getting as a recruiter and coach.  But I did give him a little more credit in being able to get players capable of playing how he wants and in coaching.  Early constraints delayed his roster rebuilding.  But recruiting misses, mistakes and reaches kept his rosters from having what he needed especially at guard and wing.  His ability to make adjustments and get his team playing how they should has taken too long to happen most every season leading to a few more losses and affecting NCAAT seeding(when we made it those 2 times) especially when those losses are combined with so few impressive wins and such blah non conference scheduling.  This past season was a half away from being a miserable failure rescued just in time.  I expected in season 6, for actual attendance to be well over 50% of the capacity of BWA instead of the pathetic attendance we saw.  "Hawg Ball! is back"  That was promised and the excitement with it.  Yet 6 seasons in and that excitement part was a miserable failure as far as the regular season.

Oh well, things are finally looking a little up.  Although as a few other posters have mentioned in the last couple of days, that question of the program's ceiling with Anderson should be asked.  Asked if it matters.  Which it doesn't when it comes to Anderson because he will do good enough which is all that matters.  Because in the end, him being coach is the most important thing and why, tying it back to the start of the post, is why no other coaches bothered to waste their time pursuing this job.  Maybe in season 8 or 9, things will come together for him as they did Nutt in his 9th season.  Stay around long enough and a great player or good combo of players may come through and have a great season.  Do good enough based on who you are to stick around. 

As far as Perry, it would be disappointing if I didn't expect this type of event from our basketball program.  It is what it is with it right now.  Seems to be a lot of ways one could go about explaining this away - parents, shoe companies, style of play or whatever other conspiracy.  Not going to be critical of the staff over this one specifically. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

LRHog

Go home you're drunk.

Theres a laundry list of schools MULTIPLE TIMES closer than MSST. His daddy is fine and aint the reason he left. He left cuz he's a fool.

hogsanity

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 18, 2017, 12:40:03 pm

Again, if it were just Perry, that would be one thing, but it is a pattern. Mike recruits a in state or guy with state ties, and if that guy is a big time recruit, Mike does not get him here. Monk, Allen, Goodwin, and now Perry. Add in a guy like Whitt ( who the Mike backers swore was the recruit that would open the gates and take the program up a notch ) washing out here, and then seeing nice role guys either tranfer out ( Babb ) or a guy being recruited from in state go to places like MN, Witchita, TT, then you see it is far from just being Perry.

I actually think next years team is going to be pretty good. How good depends on how well someone picks up for MK and Dusty. The tough part is that while they are trying to find their chemistry early they will be playing some really tough teams.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on July 18, 2017, 12:57:22 pm
Again, if it were just Perry, that would be one thing, but it is a pattern. Mike recruits a in state or guy with state ties, and if that guy is a big time recruit, Mike does not get him here. Monk, Allen, Goodwin, and now Perry. Add in a guy like Whitt ( who the Mike backers swore was the recruit that would open the gates and take the program up a notch ) washing out here, and then seeing nice role guys either tranfer out ( Babb ) or a guy being recruited from in state go to places like MN, Witchita, TT, then you see it is far from just being Perry.

I actually think next years team is going to be pretty good. How good depends on how well someone picks up for MK and Dusty. The tough part is that while they are trying to find their chemistry early they will be playing some really tough teams.
BTW where did Whitt transfer to? I want to see how much playing time he gets for his new team. The days of playing 35 plus minutes a night in college basketball are almost over. Unless of course you transfer to a lower level school being top D1 player.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 18, 2017, 01:08:41 pm
BTW where did Whitt transfer to? I want to see how much playing time he gets for his new team.

SMU, I believe.

Youngsta71701

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: kp72204 on July 18, 2017, 10:38:00 am
Didn't ever happen!!! That ain't never been done before!!!

You got to quit thinkin so negative son

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: hogsanity on July 18, 2017, 09:52:12 am
Ignore the 4 "posters" who still think Mike Anderson is a HOF coach. The rest of us knew what the program was getting when he was hired, and that is exactly what he turned out to be. A good man, a average coach, and a poor recruiter that would get the Hogs around the bubble most years, and every 3 or 4 years have a season like last year ( which only got them a 8 seed ).
in the last 3 seasons he's been no. 19 in the Country In recruiting. So I'm not sure that's average
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

NoogaHog

Wow, what is this? Reggie Perry thread #14? I know the guy is a stud, but this kid is really taking up a lot of real estate in the collective Hogville brain. Even the TJ Moss thread is about him.

I thought 4 Luke Ford threads was a lot, but fellas we have outdone ourselves.

Football season can't come soon enough.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on July 18, 2017, 09:52:12 am
I don't think anyone here is saying he's a HOF coach. But if you are going to get on your knees for our football coach then you better sure as hell accept a coach with recruiting classes far better than what we have been getting for football. Mike is an average recruiter who is doing a great job of late getting the top Arkansas talent. Reggie wasn't an akransas kid, he was someone who we had connections through and believe it or not got the kid to commit. HE committed in a way that left many believing it was a done deal. Not sure what you want to fault this staff for, he was committed up until Pangos and his Italy trip. In my eyes he didn't get better, more people took notice of him, but he's always been this good of a player.

But to come at Mike when he's done a heck of a job the last two classes in recruiting, because a kid got mixed in with different folks and dad wanted him to play at his alma mater (if that's really it) is dumb. You've made runs at Mike for a lot of stupid ish before but this has to be one of the worst. No one is saying he's the best coach ever, i've been critical and just about everyone has at some point. But he's done a phenominal job (for arkansas standards in the last 20 years) recruiting in hopes of building a consistent NCAAT team. The great thing is the Perry commitment doesn't have an impact on this years results, and if we perform well enough we may be able to snag a late commit or grad transfer that can pick up the one and only year we were gonna get Perry anyways.

farfromgroovins

What difference does it make?
None whatsoever. He hasn't scored one basket for the Hogs and apparently he never will. He wasn't a Hog just because he said he was. It's the way it works nowadays.

What matters is CMA's results on the court and what are those expectations.

It's a fruitless debate.
If RP signs with Miss St, he will not be a Hog.
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his rear when he hopped.
If my aunt had nuts, she'd be my uncle.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 18, 2017, 10:30:00 am
Are you going to sit here and tell me that you don't think a lot of the coaches and programs today aren't cheating or at least toeing the line? if not then you are very naïve my friend.
Cheating has gone on forever. They were cheating in Nolan's day too.
Do we have all day? We could go through the history books and walk through each decade talking about schools to get hit with sanctions.
Wasn't even Kentucky busted in the late 80s?
There were point-shaving scandals in the 1950s.
There is nothing new under the sun.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 18, 2017, 10:35:03 am
You do know he cheated at UMass and Memphis just like he's doing now don't you? Examples: Marcus Camby - UMass, Derrick Rose - Memphis. I'm sure there are others that just haven't come out yet. Just saying...A zebra can only hide it's stripes for so long.
No, I don't 'know' that he cheated. Calipari is a little too slick for me so he does come across as a con man.
I hope he is cheating and I hope he's thrown under the jail.
But until someone officially busts him for violations, isn't it a little too easy to put it all on cheaters and crooked refs?
Surely if it's common knowledge to the world he's a massive cheater that of all the programs other than Kentucky someone can dig up some dirt on him?

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 18, 2017, 01:08:41 pm
BTW where did Whitt transfer to? I want to see how much playing time he gets for his new team. The days of playing 35 plus minutes a night in college basketball are almost over. Unless of course you transfer to a lower level school being top D1 player.
Was Whitt the next MJ?
No.
But the main issue with Whitt and Kapita is that some people got on here when they signed crowing about 'see, who said Mike can't recruit? Look at these guys'.
When anyone should have known that Kapita was a known academic risk which scared some suitors away and enabled Ark to get him. He never made it to campus. Then Whitt who appeared as solid as solid can be(considering Mizzou was within walking distance), transfers out. No one saw that coming. Leaving an empty 'great' recruiting class.

Same thing happened with the 2018 class. (Which is still pretty good). Perry was the stud. Same group of guys crowing about these upcoming recruits. When they should know that nothing is guaranteed that far down the road.

If people would just stop boasting, crowing, and talking when so often proven offbase, it would help.

JayBell

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 18, 2017, 02:37:44 pmSame thing happened with the 2018 class. (Which is still pretty good). Perry was the stud. Same group of guys crowing about these upcoming recruits. When they should know that nothing is guaranteed that far down the road.

If people would just stop boasting, crowing, and talking when so often proven offbase, it would help.

Before the strong finish last season, the main argument for keeping Anderson was "LOOK AT HOW STRONG THE UPCOMING RECRUITING CLASSES ARE."  Even without the Kapitas and Whitts, that was such a weak argument when Perry and everyone else can go elsewhere any time they want before they actually sign.

ErnestHamingway

At best it is a 6 hour, 55 minute drive from Thomasville, GA to Stankvomit. That is a loooong drive, especially if someone is ill. How many games does pops plan on attending? If there was a medical emergency I betcha Perry, Jr. will hop on an airplane instead of driving.

I don't buy the Perry to MS because of proximity excuse. This doesn't pass the smell test. It stinks.

I hope deep-down that this is a heart-felt, honest and pure decision, but I don't think it is.

And by the way, I was VERY close to my father before he passed in 2008. I miss him every day. I passed up many job opportunities that would have taken me an hour away because he was in poor health. One hour. Not seven.

If this Perry kid really wanted to be close to home he would have chosen one of the Florida schools. That is, if they would have taken him.

tophawg19

Adidias camp then commits to an Adidias school . Coincidence ??? His father and family were thrilled with hogs , he even committed on his dads birthday to honor his father . Then he comes back from the Adidias camp in Europe and moves to an Adidias team.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

daBoar

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 17, 2017, 01:40:32 pm
Perry going to Miss St only makes sense because of his dad.

Valdosta State, Florida State, Auburn, Georgia Tech, UGA, Alabama, Mercer, Georgia State, Kennesaw State (and maybe a few others)...........are all much closer to Thomasville than Stankville.

The Boar War

July 18, 2017, 10:15:21 pm #496 Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 10:29:18 pm by The Boar War
Quote from: daBoar on July 18, 2017, 08:32:15 pm
Valdosta State, Florida State, Auburn, Georgia Tech, UGA, Alabama, Mercer, Georgia State, Kennesaw State (and maybe a few others)...........are all much closer to Thomasville than Stankville.

There's little chance this family is staying in Thomasville.  I'm sure a specialist will pop up in the Starkville area.

EXSPAHOG

Wasn't it for Coors since they didn't sell it east of TX then??

HogFoo

Lost my dad 2yrs ago.  But one thing he taught me was if you give your word, then your honor it.  That's all you really have and all anyone really can judge you by.  Is if you are true to your word.

Sorry, anyone that believes that this is 'close to home' bs is just a fool.  Anyone who believes he did this to honor his father?  sorry.  again, a fool.   Now, it will be easy for them to be on the take and say its all to honor his father, it's about his father... etc..etc..  but, everyone know's it's not.    He committed on his fathers birthday to honor his father to arkansas!   geez!  it's pretty easy to draw the lines.   speculation looks pretty clear.  TopHawg has a pretty good idea already.    Dont forget that seth greenberg turd, an addidas guy was also in RP's ear the whole time while in europ.  Also that Seth and Howland are long time buddies.  I mean, it's like how obvious is this?    Seriously though, if they were so hardup for $$ then RP should have just went to europe and signed a contract for a year like that recruit from arizona did, that kid got nearly 500k for 1year!  then he came back and entered the NBA draft and was selected.   I mean, that's what RP should have done.  But it's ok.  i doubt that MSU is quite as good as UK is at buying players and keeping it quiet.  So, i fully expect MSU to get burned.   
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Hawg Red

One of the arguments for keeping Mike when people were losing their heads after the Vanderbilt and Mizzou losses was that we would "definitely" lose Reggie Perry.