Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sad Sooner Fans

Started by pigbreath, February 25, 2017, 10:23:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawganatic

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 28, 2017, 10:04:46 am
Getting arrested in public makes it a public act. The public has a right to know if anyone getting arrested and convicted has to endure any "punishment" from the judicial system.

We aren't talking about the judicial system.  We are talking about how OU should handle it.

247Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 28, 2017, 10:11:21 am
No one would care if it wasn't someone that might be considered a public figure. If it were "Joe Schmo", a regular student, everyone would have heard about it, shook their head and uttered "Moron", and just moved on with their lives, not caring whether the kid got probation or whatever. But it is an OU starting QB so everyone is on it like white on rice, when it really isn't that big of a deal. How it will be handled at OU isn't any different than how Bielema would have handled something similar here at Arkansas. I'm just glad it wasn't one of our guys.

He is/was probably the front runner for the Heisman. Has a million kids looking up to him and watching every action he makes. He represents the University, players, coaches, Alumni and most of the state. So of course he isn't just a "Joe Schmo" and shouldn't be compared to.

Joe Schmo represents himself, family and friends if he does something dumb.

Don't try to pretend that his actions shouldn't be in the news and talked about on message boards.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 247Hog on February 28, 2017, 11:14:23 am
He is/was probably the front runner for the Heisman. Has a million kids looking up to him and watching every action he makes. He represents the University, players, coaches, Alumni and most of the state. So of course he isn't just a "Joe Schmo" and shouldn't be compared to.

Joe Schmo represents himself, family and friends if he does something dumb.

Don't try to pretend that his actions shouldn't be in the news and talked about on message boards.

I never said any of this. As I pointed out, that is the only reason it is in fact "news" and of course it is going to be talked about on message boards, especially those with a profound dislike for OU. That's certainly understandable. And you are right that fame and notoriety should bring with it some level of responsibility with regard to personal conduct in the community. I totally agree with this. Unfortunately, many players in college and the professional ranks don't share our viewpoint.

You probably need to read more of the thread to get a better feel for what has been discussed. I'm not taking up for the kid at all. If you read some of the above, you would know that.
Go Hogs Go!

jvanhorn

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 26, 2017, 08:42:39 am
But hey, woman beating? That's cool for OU.
[/quoi

I see you can read, but comprehension seems to be a stretch for you.  You missed the point completely.  But then this is Arkansas, so.

ricepig

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 28, 2017, 10:30:36 am
Well the kid is going to have to go to court so whatever they decide to do to him, is up to them. As for OU and what they do to him, that really isn't any of our business, no matter how lenient or severe. Unless any of us have relatives going to OU, I'm not sure why we should care?

I have a great niece who is on the training staff over there so I hear all about these players at OU and how they act as ordinary people outside of the media spotlight and how the coaching staff handles them. The vast majority of them sound as if they are good kids pursuing their dreams and an education, with some less good, less self-disciplined bad apples mixed in, just like you would find on any team.

I brought up the Baylor thing due to Stoops getting a reputation for not being a strict disciplinarian when things DO happen. Yes most teams players are good people.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

kodiakisland

March 10, 2017, 07:45:12 pm #156 Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 08:50:18 pm by kodiakisland
Looks like his head took a beating on that wall.

QuoteAt the end of the video, the officers are heard joking and laughing about Mayfield being the quarterback at OU.

"Is he really?" an officer says. "He's not very fast."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18878786/dash-cam-video-shows-oklahoma-sooners-quarterback-baker-mayfield-running-being-tackled-police
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

PorkRinds

The best part is how outraged he is. He tried to run from the cops and they tackled him. Then he starts in on "are you kidding me I didn't do anything?"  What a class a doucher.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Großer Kriegschwein

I take a serious "ZERO FOOTBALL" break from the bowl game until fall camp.

This is funny.
This is my non-signature signature.

jbcarol

Ryan Aber‏Verified account @ryaber 20h20 hours ago

OU announces Baker Mayfield will participate in alcohol education & serve 35 hours community service as a result of Arkansas arrest
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net