Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fishing Outing Help

Started by Oklahawg, June 11, 2016, 07:54:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

So glad we have this forum where experts can chime in and provide advice.

My father is getting up in years and has balance/stamina issues. He looks like he is on a 3-day whiskey drunk and anything resembling stairs makes him uncomfortable. We spent a few days together on a family vacation and (typical) he had his spirits rejuvenated. We did a guided trout outing with some luck (Missouri).

I am looking for either:

1. dock fishing for trout (or other panfish; Dad LOVES crappie) where the summer heat is not excessive (we were comfortable on the water earlier this week but the water temp was about 52 and the air temp not much above that when we put in) with minimal walking to the site. Or,
2. guided trout (or panfish) outing where the boats are easily boarded and offer a hint of comfort (we were spoiled last time out, we had a pontoon to fish out of).

We don't necessarily need a host of amenities but none in our group will want to camp. Clean cabins with running water and A/C is a must. Hotel in a nearby larger town is fine.

To summarize it all:
1. we are in Tulsa area, so we will value locations closer to the NWA metro area
2. we need easy-access (it is ok to think of handicap access) fishing
3. we are good with a dock or a guided tour
4. we don't need it to be for trout, any panfish will do (we are not into stripers or catfish, if that helps)
5. while I am fine with adventure, I need this to be user-friendly and "cushy" - A/C where we stay, for example - we are not wanting to rough it this round.

Are we too late to avoid hot weather if we go in the morning later this month?

Thanks for the replies. Hope you guys have some good suggestions.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Albert Einswine

I don't know anything about the Beaver Lake tailwater, whether or not there are trout docks established there like exist on the White, North Fork and Little Red rivers, but if there are you should be able to find a dock that could set y'all up with comfortable seating arrangements in a trout boat.

If not drive another hour and a half east to the White River establishments which are numerous.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

snoblind

check these resources

http://www.agfc.com/resources/Pages/ResourcesPublicationsGuidebookTrout.aspx

http://www.agfc.com/fishing/pages/fishingprogramstpwhere.aspx

http://www.cottertroutdock.com/directions.htm

http://www.riverridgeinn.com/dry-run-creek/kids-at-dry-run.htm

Okla, the last one might accommodate an elderly parent.  Over the years I am pretty sure I have ran into another place or two that would work but they aren't coming to mind at the moment.

Shores lake has a great fishing area, but really don't know how good the fishing be.  Haven't fished it in years.  And it doesn't have AC cabins.

Calling the folks at Spider Creek might be a good idea, they might be able to set something up for you.

http://www.spidercreek.com/

Ex-Trumpet

When I lived in NWA I used to go to Newland's a lot...they have a variety of packages and it's always been a great time.

http://www.newlands.com/
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Oklahawg

Good info!

While I can certainly read a weather forecast I am unfamiliar with how trout, in particular, relate to the weather. Have I missed good fishing weather? What is the weather going to be like on the water - will we notice any humidity that might exist away from the water?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

snoblind

Quote from: Oklahawg on June 12, 2016, 01:44:17 pm
Good info!

While I can certainly read a weather forecast I am unfamiliar with how trout, in particular, relate to the weather. Have I missed good fishing weather? What is the weather going to be like on the water - will we notice any humidity that might exist away from the water?

Advice you really shouldn't follow, but I've always done really well right before all hell breaks loose.  Since I got to walk away from the event one of my favorite fishing stories is roaring down the White below Beaver Dam with lightening coming down in every direction and a tornado rolling in.  Pretty sure the fish biting has to do with Barometric pressure dropping.

Seriously, water release has as much to do with trout biting as anything.  Always had better fishing when level is stable (and generators are not running) or when it starts rising as opposed to dropping.  The advantage of trout over pan fish is the cold water.  Taking a quick dip is always refreshing.  And because of the water temp we've had days in the heat of August where we caught as many as we cared to catch.

I've been trying to remember a place we stayed over 15 years ago on the North Fork with no luck.  It is rRight before it runs into the White.  Great cabins and I think there was a fishing dock back then.  it's also just down river from the Dry Creek link I posted.

snoblind

Oklahawg

snoblind

Quote from: Oklahawg on June 12, 2016, 02:26:59 pm
Great option.

See your PM.  Sent you another place we've stayed.  And the one folks know about, Gaston, below Bull Shoals was great also.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: snoblind on June 12, 2016, 02:17:51 pm
Here it is.  Not sure why I was calling North Fork,

http://norforkriverresort.com/new/#!BIRDSEYE4

It is the North Fork river. The lake is Norfork, the town is Norfork, but the river is the North Fork of the White.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Oklahawg

Quote from: Albert Einswine on June 12, 2016, 06:43:44 pm

It is the North Fork river. The lake is Norfork, the town is Norfork, but the river is the North Fork of the White.

Do locals pronounce both, one, or none of the "R" is "Norfork"? (I want to sound well-educated and polite!)

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Oklahawg on June 12, 2016, 10:07:12 pm
Do locals pronounce both, one, or none of the "R" is "Norfork"? (I want to sound well-educated and polite!)

Everybody I've ever known pronounced both R's in it. It's Arkansas, not Virginia or the Carolinas, haha.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Albert Einswine on June 12, 2016, 10:59:38 pm

Everybody I've ever known pronounced both R's in it. It's Arkansas, not Virginia or the Carolinas, haha.

And we are not in Alerbammer. :)

I live in that part of OK that adds an "R" where one isn't wanted. As in, "ifn't doesn't rain soon I'll hafta warsh muh car."

Ex-Trumpet

You can catch trout year round, as previously mentioned, highly dependent on the water release.

Hot weather isn't that big of a deal...dip your feet in the water and you will cool off!

I've stayed at both Gastons and Newlands and like both.  Get a guide!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

SultanofSwine

Quote from: Oklahawg on June 13, 2016, 09:31:54 am
And we are not in Alerbammer. :)

I live in that part of OK that adds an "R" where one isn't wanted. As in, "ifn't doesn't rain soon I'll hafta warsh muh car."

So your sayin the r in warsh is spose ta be silent?

Oklahawg

Quote from: SultanofSwine on June 13, 2016, 06:57:15 pm
So your sayin the r in warsh is spose ta be silent?

Don't know how you-ins pru-nounce it but we-ins har in Oklahoma include the "r" in warsh. (*spit*)

Oklahawg

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on June 13, 2016, 05:23:47 pm
You can catch trout year round, as previously mentioned, highly dependent on the water release.

Hot weather isn't that big of a deal...dip your feet in the water and you will cool off!

I've stayed at both Gastons and Newlands and like both.  Get a guide!!

Of course we'll get a guide. I am too old to not get a guide :)

PonderinHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on June 13, 2016, 11:07:09 pm
Of course we'll get a guide. I am too old to not get a guide :)
That ain't you in the picture, then...

Oklahawg

Opted for Cotter Trout Dock, and stayed at the Cotter Trout Lodge. Fantastic experience all the way around.

Went the day after the election and stayed through Friday. No TV, no newspaper, and no internet (although I didn't ask about access). Man, talk about reinvigorating!

Dad and I caught a lot of trout, took a lot of deep, relaxing breathes, and enjoyed each other's company. Everything was top-notch but I have to brag most about the hospitality - first rate and then some.

Might look for other options in the future but will likely return here - it was an A+ experience. Thanks for all who chimed in!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 14, 2016, 08:33:12 pm
Opted for Cotter Trout Dock, and stayed at the Cotter Trout Lodge. Fantastic experience all the way around.

Went the day after the election and stayed through Friday. No TV, no newspaper, and no internet (although I didn't ask about access). Man, talk about reinvigorating!

Dad and I caught a lot of trout, took a lot of deep, relaxing breathes, and enjoyed each other's company. Everything was top-notch but I have to brag most about the hospitality - first rate and then some.

Might look for other options in the future but will likely return here - it was an A+ experience. Thanks for all who chimed in!

Glad you had a wonderful outing.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Oklahawg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 15, 2016, 02:34:05 pm
Glad you had a wonderful outing.

HV is amazing - a lot of great advice in this thread as well as via PM or email.

snoblind

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 14, 2016, 08:33:12 pm

Glad you had a great trip.  I'll file that place in the memory file for future reference.  Hard to have a bad trip on the White. 

In almost 40 years, I've experienced everything from 80+ fish days in perfect weather or being buzzed by an eagle 20 feet over my head to watching a whole tree float by when the flood gates are open or riding out a tornado at the Beaver general store. wouldn't trade any of those trips.     

LSUFan

Ok

try familyfishingtrips.com

I have been taking this guid since my babies were babies (Now 23,18, & 18)

We always catch fish, he specializes in crappie and has well over 400 crappie hotels set up, he'll even give you the coordinates free of charge.

His name is Darrel, he's pretty cheap, last time was $400 for a 6 hour trip.

He cleans and bags the fish.

There are places to stay on property where he launches.

Easy on and off the boat for your pops (My dad is 76 and he's able to get on an off no problem)

There's a common area down by the lake with a fire pit and grill with a covered awning.

If you get rained out, he'll apply the deposit to a future trip.

Enjoy this time with your pops

Drawback is it's in Hot Springs, maybe a little further than you want to travel.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Oklahawg

Quote from: LSUFan on January 06, 2017, 06:45:01 pm
Ok

try familyfishingtrips.com

I have been taking this guid since my babies were babies (Now 23,18, & 18)

We always catch fish, he specializes in crappie and has well over 400 crappie hotels set up, he'll even give you the coordinates free of charge.

His name is Darrel, he's pretty cheap, last time was $400 for a 6 hour trip.

He cleans and bags the fish.

There are places to stay on property where he launches.

Easy on and off the boat for your pops (My dad is 76 and he's able to get on an off no problem)

There's a common area down by the lake with a fire pit and grill with a covered awning.

If you get rained out, he'll apply the deposit to a future trip.

Enjoy this time with your pops

Drawback is it's in Hot Springs, maybe a little further than you want to travel.

Thx, LSU.

Dad and I both love crappie fishing, so that is a possibility.