Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown X

Started by McKdaddy, February 19, 2016, 11:21:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on March 31, 2016, 04:36:35 pm
Just heard about this. I was told it was a groin. Not sure which is worse. I've done both. I think the quad actually took longer to heal. Groin hurt worse though.

I guess that means Gyorko is the opening day SS?

Yep, it's looking like Gyorko will be the starter on Sunday, I think Matheny has confirmed it. I'm not real sure about him starting at SS. I know he can do it, but there's likely a reason he hasn't played it much previously. I hope he can cover it well enough until somebody gets healthy. Greg Garcia is the other option, I do believe that either available option is better than Kozma in an extended role. I'm worried about quad injuries after the travails of Adams and Holliday last season, hoping this one is minor.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

pigture perfect

Yeah, I'm thinking we're going to see a lot of Greg Garcia in April and May.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 31, 2016, 05:41:56 pm

They seem to be pretty high on him for the future. This could be some great experience for him. Hope he's ready for it.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 31, 2016, 05:41:56 pm

Yep, we also may see Aledmys Diaz if he's torching the PCL and Gyorko and/or Garcia are struggling. This year has next to no margin for error.

pigture perfect

I agree. Our pitching will have to carry us again.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 31, 2016, 06:17:43 pm

Going to miss having early season Lance Lynn. He's usually really good before the all-star break. Pitching should still be stout though.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 31, 2016, 06:17:43 pm

Likely so, and there's nothing wrong with that. Great pitching and stingy defense has long been a winning formula, we saw it last year. Granted the team didn't finish as we would have liked, but it was a tremendous season. A marginal increase in offensive output is all they need to not only hang in the Central, but win it. I think there is more in the tank for this offense than what we saw last year.

Grichuk being more disciplined at the plate will help and if everything breaks right Piscotty could become a terrific #2 hitter. Of course they're young so who really knows what they'll do. But there are wagon loads of potential in those two.

Holliday is playing for his last contract and probably really would like to close his career in STL; I would think that he wants to kick in the vesting option on his contract and remove some doubt.

1B was a black hole offensively last year, if Adams/Moss/Holliday (or some combination thereof) can hit about 15 homeruns and have 70ish RBI while playing there you're looking at a tremendous improvement. 

Wong was hideous at the plate in the second half last season, and he may have just been worn out from overuse last year. Hopefully he gets more rest this year and that's the ticket to turn it around for him.

That's 6 guys that could have just average seasons at the plate and the offense becomes more dynamic than last year. Peralta being out hurts though, but I read somewhere that he may be back quicker than initially expected.

I see reasons for optimism on the offensive side. Oquendo being out may adversely affect the defense more than I can anticipate though.

pigture perfect

I did read your whole post and agree. I'll just comment on the Oquendo thing. He is not only a tremendous defensive coach. He's also one f the best, most aggressive 3rd base coaches in baseball. No telling how many extra runs he's accountable for.

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 02, 2016, 11:12:13 pm
I did read your whole post and agree. I'll just comment on the Oquendo thing. He is not only a tremendous defensive coach. He's also one f the best, most aggressive 3rd base coaches in baseball. No telling how many extra runs he's accountable for.

I agree. As a coach, I can't even begin to explain how valuable a great 3rd base coach really is.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 02, 2016, 11:12:13 pm

Very true. An aggressive 3rd base coach really can make a huge difference in run production. And I'm not really sure if it's something that can be adequately taught. It sure seems like it's more art than science. I'm really looking forward to getting some answers on what this team may look like today.

jrulz83

Here's the opening day lineup. Of note; Holliday starts the season as a first baseman:

1] Carpenter 3b
2] Pham lf
3] Holliday 1b
4] Grichuk cf
5] Piscotty rf
6] Molina c
7] Wong 2b
8] Gyorko ss
9] Wainwright p

We'll miss Peralta against Liriano, he crushes him. Also of note; David Freese will bat third for the Pirates today.

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 03, 2016, 10:27:20 am
Very true. An aggressive 3rd base coach really can make a huge difference in run production. And I'm not really sure if it's something that can be adequately taught. It sure seems like it's more art than science. I'm really looking forward to getting some answers on what this team may look like today.

I think it's more instinct than something that can be learned.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on April 03, 2016, 10:47:16 am
I think it's more instinct than something that can be learned.

That's my feeling on it as well.

clutch

I hope today was not a sign of what's ahead with this offense.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on April 03, 2016, 04:16:42 pm
I hope today was not a sign of what's ahead with this offense.

No kidding, 14 strikeouts isn't going to work.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Liriano owns us. I want a larger sample before I state a trend.  ;D

jrulz83

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on April 03, 2016, 06:11:44 pm
Liriano owns us. I want a larger sample before I state a trend.  ;D

It's over. 0-162 is a sure thing.  >:(

jbell96

For the record, I'm not going to overreact to the loss. It's one game, and we actually got the tying run to the plate in the 9th, so we didn't quit, which is more than I can say for the Razorback baseball team yesterday. That said, a lot of my concerns for the season reared their ugly head yesterday.

Pham pulling a muscle in the arctic conditions of Pittsburgh screwed up our lineup, but 14 strikeouts was ridiculous. What is also ridiculous is that Wong still has zero plate discipline. We had many opportunities to score yesterday, but just couldn't get the big hit to get us in the game. 

jrulz83

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

hogcard1964

Quote from: jbell96 on April 04, 2016, 08:39:03 am
For the record, I'm not going to overreact to the loss. It's one game, and we actually got the tying run to the plate in the 9th, so we didn't quit, which is more than I can say for the Razorback baseball team yesterday. That said, a lot of my concerns for the season reared their ugly head yesterday.

Pham pulling a muscle in the arctic conditions of Pittsburgh screwed up our lineup, but 14 strikeouts was ridiculous. What is also ridiculous is that Wong still has zero plate discipline. We had many opportunities to score yesterday, but just couldn't get the big hit to get us in the game.

Wong, Piscotty, Pham, Moss and Grijuck are going to K a lot this year.

jbell96

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 05, 2016, 12:43:06 pm
Wong, Piscotty, Pham, Moss and Grijuck are going to K a lot this year.

Well Moss isn't going to play much, as it stands right now, I disagree on Piscotty, but you're definitely right about Wong & Grichuk. I'm not so sure about Pham, tough to judge a guy off one at bat in which he got hurt.

Hogtropolis™

I need some help with how to watch Cardinals games.

I recently switched to Dish (around October 2015). I can't seem to find Fox Sports Midwest anywhere and I pay for the extra sports package. Has anyone else ever had this issue so I know exactly what to say when I call Dish? This is really the first time I've been frustrated with Dish. I've been very pleased with them up to this point. Thanks for any help.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on April 05, 2016, 09:16:13 pm
I need some help with how to watch Cardinals games.

I recently switched to Dish (around October 2015). I can't seem to find Fox Sports Midwest anywhere and I pay for the extra sports package. Has anyone else ever had this issue so I know exactly what to say when I call Dish? This is really the first time I've been frustrated with Dish. I've been very pleased with them up to this point. Thanks for any help.
When I had Dish, I remember FSMW being on 418. Hopefully they haven't changed it, it's been a few years. That sports package was a lifesaver, though. And the price you really can't beat.
ched come back pls

jbell96

My take on the 1st two games:

Offense: Way too many strikeouts & awful situational hitting.

Starting Pitching: Waino was solid, but Wacha is a major concern, and I don't think he's worthy of being our #2 right now.

Bullpen: Easily the best aspect of this team right now. A lot of quality depth and Oh has been as good as advertised so far.

I know we're just two games in right now, and against a quality opponent on the road, but unless we make strides on offense this year, it's going to be a struggle for us.

Dropkick

I believe on the post game show they said the last time STL started the season 0-2 they won the World Series.

jrulz83

Quote from: jbell96 on April 06, 2016, 08:58:12 am
My take on the 1st two games:

Offense: Way too many strikeouts & awful situational hitting.

Starting Pitching: Waino was solid, but Wacha is a major concern, and I don't think he's worthy of being our #2 right now.

Bullpen: Easily the best aspect of this team right now. A lot of quality depth and Oh has been as good as advertised so far.

I know we're just two games in right now, and against a quality opponent on the road, but unless we make strides on offense this year, it's going to be a struggle for us.

Can't disagree, the offense is a concern. Before anybody says, "It's only two games!" Let me say this; I'm talking about the continuation of a trend from last year and a couple seasons before that, not two games worth of at bats.

I can see the reasons the Cardinals site for optimism in the offense as legitimate, believable points. However, after seeing 3-4 seasons of the same things occurring it may be time for a change. Maybe that change is the young guys getting their opportunity at season long production. Maybe it's an organizational philosophy that needs to change. I personally don't think it will require anything very drastic to make this team better offensively.

I agree, the offense only needs to get a little something going in a game, have a lead by the start of the 7th inning, and the game is effectively over. This bullpen is going to be filthy.

pigture perfect

I agree. This is not just a this year problem. Our farm system is mediocre, and we have whiffed of key players and free agency. I think John Mozaliak is the responsible party.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 06, 2016, 10:56:12 am
I agree. This is not just a this year problem. Our farm system is mediocre, and we have whiffed of key players and free agency. I think John Mozaliak is the responsible party.

I understand the frustration, but I disagree on the source. I think it's just the up and down manner of farm systems. Look how many prospects the Cardinals have graduated to MLB. That will cause the farm to sink in the rankings. Picking towards the end of the round for most of the last decade or so also limits the impact players an organization is going to pick up. But I get where you're coming from on all that.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Makes you wonder if we might be starting a little 4 or 5 year dip like the Yankees are climbing out of. Might need a couple of those can't-miss top 10/15 picks to revamp.
ched come back pls

McKdaddy

McKdaddy

From Table Rocker

"not sure what's more inexcusable re: Mo: keeping Mabry employed or not signing a decent bat when Hey left?"

McKdaddy

Per StLPD today.....Cards have started 0-3  20 times since 1900, reaching the postseason 2x, 1985 (started 0-4, made the WS) and 2001.

pigture perfect

I don't understand trading a young pitcher for cash consideration, when you know good and well Mo won't spend it.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 07, 2016, 05:29:50 pm
I don't understand trading a young pitcher for cash consideration, when you know good and well Mo won't spend it.

That's unfair. How much did he offer Heyward? How much did he offer Price? Both received $200 million offers (Heyward $200+ milllion). They decided to play elsewhere, Mozeliak spending $$$ wasn't the problem. I know, I know, he didn't get the deals done so it doesn't matter what he offered.

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 07, 2016, 05:29:50 pm

Trading the young pitcher isn't actually hurting the team. It's the fact they can't score runs. I agree. Use that cash and find a bat.

pigture perfect

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 07, 2016, 06:25:21 pm
That's unfair. How much did he offer Heyward? How much did he offer Price? Both received $200 million offers (Heyward $200+ milllion). They decided to play elsewhere, Mozeliak spending $$$ wasn't the problem. I know, I know, he didn't get the deals done so it doesn't matter what he offered.
He put all his eggs into 1 basket. It's like he never has a pan B.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Really starting to look like Luhnow was the mad scientist behind our run, looking at where we are projecting and where Houston is.
ched come back pls

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 08, 2016, 01:26:40 am
He put all his eggs into 1 basket. It's like he never has a pan B.

Piscotty was Plan B to Heyward. The other free agent options were unpalatable cost wise. Mike Leake was Plan B to David Price. That's two Plan B's.

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 08, 2016, 08:46:14 am
Piscotty was Plan B to Heyward. The other free agent options were unpalatable cost wise. Mike Leake was Plan B to David Price. That's two Plan B's.

There just weren't really many good plan B options out there this year.

jbell96

Quote from: Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson on April 08, 2016, 08:17:04 am
Really starting to look like Luhnow was the mad scientist behind our run, looking at where we are projecting and where Houston is.

I love all of you arm chair GM's criticizing Mo and his decision making. He's made mistakes, and frustrated me the past few years by not being more aggressive, but he offered huge money to Price & Heyward, however they decided to go elsewhere. Stuff like that happens from time to time.

To be honest, we are due for a down year, and this year is probably that year. To look on the bright side, a lot of talented young position players are going to get valuable experience at the big league level.

I understand singing Luhnow's praises a little, and I will admit he does a great mind for baseball, but that said, the guy isn't without fault. He is the same guy that wasted a 1st round draft pick on PETE KOZMA in 2007 when guys like Todd Frazier & Rick Porcello were taken not long after Kozma.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on April 08, 2016, 09:15:42 am
There just weren't really many good plan B options out there this year.

Not really.

pigture perfect

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 08, 2016, 08:46:14 am
thats probably the fewest plan B's in the league. Would we have signed Leake or gone after Price had it not been for the injury to Lance Lynn? Would we have gone after Heyward had he not already been on our team? Piscotti was already here. He didn't have to spend any extra money to get him here, which was my original point. Why can't we upgrade our roster, just for the sake of the roster especially offensively?

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 08, 2016, 10:24:20 am
thats probably the fewest plan B's in the league. Would we have signed Leake or gone after Price had it not been for the injury to Lance Lynn? Would we have gone after Heyward had he not already been on our team? Piscotti was already here. He didn't have to spend any extra money to get him here, which was my original point. Why can't we upgrade our roster, just for the sake of the roster especially offensively?

Im guessing it's because really the only way we have to do it is by spending lots of money. We don't have anything to offer prospect wise to get the job done. So the only way to really upgrade is to spend money on FA's.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 08, 2016, 10:24:20 am

I think Price was a target regardless of Lynn, Leake became a necessity after the Price deal fell through. Piscotty is quite possibly an upgrade over Heyward offensively, time will tell. I think they might have been players on Heyward regardless of the team he previously played for, but not afraid to let Piscotty run with it.

Now it's becoming clearer that you wanted a splash trade or signing. Well clutch is right, the farm system doesn't have the type of talent to pull off the "big" deal in a trade and I think that is a fair criticism of Mozeliak and the organization as a whole. Remember, Pete Kozma and Tyler Green were both first round picks back in the day.

They tried to make two big free agent deals and for whatever reasons they didn't work out. I just don't get the gripe about that. If the reports are accurate, they offered money that they thought would get the deal done and not hamstring the organization. What's wrong with that?

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 08, 2016, 04:32:14 pm
I think Price was a target regardless of Lynn, Leake became a necessity after the Price deal fell through. Piscotty is quite possibly an upgrade over Heyward offensively, time will tell. I think they might have been players on Heyward regardless of the team he previously played for, but not afraid to let Piscotty run with it.

Now it's becoming clearer that you wanted a splash trade or signing. Well clutch is right, the farm system doesn't have the type of talent to pull off the "big" deal in a trade and I think that is a fair criticism of Mozeliak and the organization as a whole. Remember, Pete Kozma and Tyler Green were both first round picks back in the day.

They tried to make two big free agent deals and for whatever reasons they didn't work out. I just don't get the gripe about that. If the reports are accurate, they offered money that they thought would get the deal done and not hamstring the organization. What's wrong with that?

I think they were players on Heyward, but weren't too worried about him leaving either. I think they knew they are due for a down year. I look for them to make a big FA signing soon though when the market is better. That's why I don't think they were too worried about it. They know they will have better options than Heyward eventually. Don't throw all your money in that basket.

Don't get me wrong. I liked Heyward. I wasn't too big on throwing $200 mil at him though. I know he's a great defensive player, and a really good baserunner, but I just don't think his bat is ever going to be elite if it isn't yet. I'd much rather see them hold out and sign an elite bat.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on April 08, 2016, 06:29:08 pm
I think they were players on Heyward, but weren't too worried about him leaving either. I think they knew they are due for a down year. I look for them to make a big FA signing soon though when the market is better. That's why I don't think they were too worried about it. They know they will have better options than Heyward eventually. Don't throw all your money in that basket.

Don't get me wrong. I liked Heyward. I wasn't too big on throwing $200 mil at him though. I know he's a great defensive player, and a really good baserunner, but I just don't think his bat is ever going to be elite if it isn't yet. I'd much rather see them hold out and sign an elite bat.

I don't disagree on Heyward, or anything really.

pigture perfect

I agree with that as well.

popcornhog

It's good to have baseball back! I have been swamped lately and have only gotten to watch a few innings here and there.

Starting pitching hasn't been up to snuff so far, but it's a small sample size.

How bout Hazlebaker and Diaz early?! Those two are exciting.

Anybody going to Busch this week?
WPS

popcornhog

What were the Braves thinking there?

I'll take it though. 7-6 lead with two outs in the 8th.

This has been one sloppy series.
WPS