Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anybody notice any wild quail anymore?

Started by LSUFan, April 15, 2015, 08:47:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porkys Revenge

Southeast Kansas is LOADED with quail this year. I've had a farm up there since 2002 and never seen anything like it. Last yeah was very wet too, not sure how that correlated with such an awesome hatch, but it did.
Growing up, my dad and I used to hunt them around the dirt roads of Drew and Ashley counties, those birds been long gone.

Wayne Watson

Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

jrulz83

Had a quail cross the highway in front of me the other day.

If a sasquatch had crossed in front of me I don't think I would have been more surprised; I about put the truck in the ditch. :)

First quail I've seen or even heard in 5 or so years.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Rzbakfromwaybak

June 07, 2015, 06:43:50 pm #53 Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 07:09:04 pm by Rzbakfromwaybak
Quote from: Porkys Revenge on June 07, 2015, 09:01:28 am

Southeast Kansas is LOADED with quail this year. I've had a farm up there since 2002 and never seen anything like it. Last yeah was very wet too, not sure how that correlated with such an awesome hatch, but it did.
Growing up, my dad and I used to hunt them around the dirt roads of Drew and Ashley counties, those birds been long gone.

Yep, brings back memories.  Found a great place to deer hunt, back in the mid to late 60's. It was just outside of Hamburg a few miles, off Hwy 8 on timber company land.  Killed several nice bucks there.  The reason I found it, was a friend of my Dad's was a big quail hunter, & hunted that area.  He told Dad & I about all the deer he saw & jumped while hunting quail with his dogs.  It was easy to find covey's down there, back then. Deer hunting was very good too.....& you didn't have to lease to hunt anything.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Rzbakfromwaybak

June 07, 2015, 06:50:09 pm #54 Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 07:10:33 pm by Rzbakfromwaybak
Quote from: jrulz83 on June 07, 2015, 01:52:50 pm

Had a quail cross the highway in front of me the other day.

If a sasquatch had crossed in front of me I don't think I would have been more surprised; I about put the truck in the ditch. :)

First quail I've seen or even heard in 5 or so years.

Lol.  Well, if the BFRO heard this story, they would probably claim a Sasquatch chased the quail across the hwy.  You just didn't see the Squatch...but he was there.... :)

jrulz83

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on June 07, 2015, 06:50:09 pm
Lol.  Well, if the BFRO heard this story, they would probably claim a Sasquatch chased the quail across the hwy.  You just didn't see the Squatch...but he was there.... :)

That's the problem with the quail population; it's the squatches running them into roads to get run over!

We have to get Chris Money-spinner on this now!
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

LSUFan

My dad said he hasn't seen any in about 20 years.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: jrulz83 on June 07, 2015, 10:26:09 pm

That's the problem with the quail population; it's the squatches running them into roads to get run over!

We have to get Chris Money-spinner on this now!

Yep, them squatches are just mean.....& smart.  Moneymaker claims they do the same thing with possums & armadillos.  They are both slower than quail, & get hit by cars more often.  That's why we hear of all these reports of squatches being seen around roads.  They are there picking up all that road kill.....that they caused.

LSUFan

Heard one calling in Calico Rock today.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: LSUFan on April 26, 2016, 10:57:06 pm
Heard one calling in Calico Rock today.
It's funny, when humans write them off, they come back.  Maybe, just maybe, the human is the problem.  Nah, couldn't be that.

WWWWD?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

LSUFan

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on April 26, 2016, 11:15:42 pm
It's funny, when humans write them off, they come back.  Maybe, just maybe, the human is the problem.  Nah, couldn't be that.

WWWWD?
With as scarce as they seem, I honestly wouldn't shoot one these days, probably won't ever again.

Now them damn ugly turkey buzzards? Give me my trusty 22 and a 6 pack........

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: LSUFan on April 26, 2016, 11:28:29 pm
With as scarce as they seem, I honestly wouldn't shoot one these days, probably won't ever again.

Now them damn ugly turkey buzzards? Give me my trusty 22 and a 6 pack........
I feel the same way about the humming birds.  If they would just sit still for a minute, you could aim up on one.  Aw, the struggles of life.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

DeltaBoy

Dad been hearing them regularly down in South Monroe County.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Albert Einswine

I was out back doing some routine maintenance on my old John Deere this Tuesday evening and I heard Bobwhite down by the creek for over an hour. First quail I've heard in the 12 years I've been up here in Indiana. It was sweet music to these ears.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

LSUFan

Quote from: Albert Einswine on April 28, 2016, 10:53:51 am
I was out back doing some routine maintenance on my old John Deere this Tuesday evening and I heard Bobwhite down by the creek for over an hour. First quail I've heard in the 12 years I've been up here in Indiana. It was sweet music to these ears.
Heard one in Batesville yesterday.

Gotta be breedin' time  :D

DeltaBoy

Dad said they are several coveys along the Woodruff Electric Transmission Lines though out the County.   
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Großer Kriegschwein

Fort Polk has quite a few. Just have to hunt between rotations.
This is my non-signature signature.

Buff

I have some in my backyard here in Oklahoma from time to time.  I marked off an area near my back fence that I am going to let grow, to create a roosting habitat.

Rocket23

I bumped four different covey during deer season out west off Highway 10.  I asked around for someone that had a bird dog and couldn't find Anyone.

LSUFan

Quote from: Rocket23 on May 01, 2016, 02:53:40 pm
I bumped four different covey during deer season out west off Highway 10.  I asked around for someone that had a bird dog and couldn't find Anyone.
Last damn bird dog I went huntin' with in 94 only liked to jump armadillos, he got some #8 birdshot in his ass.

DeltaBoy

I miss my beagle Red who for what ever reason would lift his right front paw and stand still when he smelled quail.  I would tell him get them and he would bust that covey out of their cover.  He was the only Beagle I ever had that would do that.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Ryland grass farm just north west of cotton plant, has several big coveys on and around it.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on May 03, 2016, 05:36:34 pm
Ryland grass farm just north west of cotton plant, has several big coveys on and around it.

It great to come home to Eastern Arkansas and hear the Bobwhite while sitting on the porch.

OldCoot

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on June 09, 2015, 01:08:47 am
Yep, them squatches are just mean.....& smart.  Moneymaker claims they do the same thing with possums & armadillos.  They are both slower than quail, & get hit by cars more often.  That's why we hear of all these reports of squatches being seen around roads.  They are there picking up all that road kill.....that they caused.

I had one follow me once, I thought I was going to get violated.  I threw my slim Jims down and he seemed more concerned with those. Lucky I got away.

OldCoot

Ok so hold on,  is a bob white the same as a quail?

I was never much on birds but I could tell a bob white and a whippoorwill.  I used to HATE whippoorwills being raised in the country.  I haven't heard one of them in years but of course I'm a city boy now.

LSUFan

Quote from: OldCoot on May 15, 2016, 03:49:04 pm
Ok so hold on,  is a bob white the same as a quail?

I was never much on birds but I could tell a bob white and a whippoorwill.  I used to HATE whippoorwills being raised in the country.  I haven't heard one of them in years but of course I'm a city boy now.
Bob White = Quail

Yes sir.

PonderinHog

I saw a quail yesterday on our CRP land in Lawrence County.  First one in ten years.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 21, 2016, 10:51:26 am
I saw a quail yesterday on our CRP land in Lawrence County.  First one in ten years.

Feels good to see one doesn't it? Makes me feel better about the world.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

DeltaBoy

I am pumped to get home this summer to see the folks and my 86 year old Grandmother plus sitting on the porch and listening to the Bob White.  I had some behind the house last year here in Texas but I not seen them this year.

DLUXHOG

Haven't seen the WildHog in a while either........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

DeltaBoy

Quote from: DLUXHOG on May 23, 2016, 09:42:27 am
Haven't seen the WildHog in a while either........

Prayers for you cause ole Bob White one of the traditional sounds of South.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 24, 2016, 07:41:03 am
Prayers for you cause ole Bob White one of the traditional sounds of South.
Yep, "Whip-or-whil".... heard it much as a kid growing up on a lake in the Ozarks.............. (I was actually, tongue-in-cheek, referencing the "WildHog" formation the Hogs used to use when DMAC and Felix were in the backfield)....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

DeltaBoy

I was blown away last week to be hearing the ole Bob White here at my house in Johnson County Texas.  It the first time in 15 years  I believe all the flooding pushed them up here.

Boarslab

Planting of fescue and love grass, loss of family farm, explosion of bush hogs, finish mowers, zero turn, round up, housing development where the back forty used to be, loss of wild grasses, SERICEA LESPEDEZA, and all the chemicals we use that can affect egg development.  Plus, add in the predators--but habitat is the major factor as other's have stated.  40 yrs ago people didn't keep their farms looking like a golf course.  However, I have seen a few pairs this spring and I can still hear them whistling in the mornings.  There's still a few coveys in North Arkansas.

OldCoot

Quote from: Boarslab on June 19, 2016, 10:12:46 am
Planting of fescue and love grass, loss of family farm, explosion of bush hogs, finish mowers, zero turn, round up, housing development where the back forty used to be, loss of wild grasses, SERICEA LESPEDEZA, and all the chemicals we use that can affect egg development.  Plus, add in the predators--but habitat is the major factor as other's have stated.  40 yrs ago people didn't keep their farms looking like a golf course.  However, I have seen a few pairs this spring and I can still hear them whistling in the mornings.  There's still a few coveys in North Arkansas.

We were on a fairly large to me anyway (200 acres) farm growing up.  Cut, raked and baled in May/June, cows kept everything cut pretty well down all the time though.  I would assume most land south of Little Rock outside the city still can maintiain birds.

I thought DDT had something to do with bird droughts.

DeltaBoy

DDT Been off the market since the late 1960's. Habitat loss what hurt them more than anything.

bolo

seen one cross the road yesterday. klenc rd in tontitown right where the grapevines are. they havnt mowed there in awhile
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ
2023 March Maddest Champion with a little help from my friends

The Boar War

I hear them almost every morning here in northern Independence County. 

DeltaBoy

Still hearing them around dusk down here.

DeltaBoy

Dad reports that he see several coveys the last few weeks in Monroe County.

HogBreath

AGFC doing radio spots saying they are serious about getting these wonderful birds back again.

I would really like for that to happen.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Pigasaurus

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on June 07, 2015, 06:43:50 pm
Yep, brings back memories.  Found a great place to deer hunt, back in the mid to late 60's. It was just outside of Hamburg a few miles, off Hwy 8 on timber company land.  Killed several nice bucks there.  The reason I found it, was a friend of my Dad's was a big quail hunter, & hunted that area.  He told Dad & I about all the deer he saw & jumped while hunting quail with his dogs.  It was easy to find covey's down there, back then. Deer hunting was very good too.....& you didn't have to lease to hunt anything.

When I left to go to college in 81, you could whistle and get a response on Hickory St. in Crossett. 
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

DeltaBoy

Dad said he been seening about 12 of them around his bird feeder .

DeltaBoy

I heard them when I was down for Christmas.

LSUFan

The Boar War

Quote from: HogBreath on October 28, 2016, 08:32:56 pm
AGFC doing radio spots saying they are serious about getting these wonderful birds back again.

I would really like for that to happen.

I hope they're successful but so much of what hurts the population are things that are (or have become) out of their control. 

hawgon

We don't have any in SWA either and as far as I can tell, the habitat is the same, if not better than it was in the 1970s when we had two or thee coveys in our yard.  We never had many row crops then or now and there are lots more absentee land owners these days with grown up places and all that.  Habitat might be the reason in some places, but it isn't in SWA I don't think.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: LSUFan on January 18, 2017, 01:36:50 am
Down where?

South Monroe County Arkansas  Mom and Dad keep the bird feeders going year around.

LSUFan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 19, 2017, 08:30:33 am
South Monroe County Arkansas  Mom and Dad keep the bird feeders going year around.
Don't kill 'em

DeltaBoy

Quote from: LSUFan on January 19, 2017, 10:52:02 pm
Don't kill 'em

Dad doens't hunt them any more plus 60% of Monroe County is in either a State WMA or National WMA.