Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ark is only program in FBS to not have a Field Goal

Started by HognotinMemphis, October 02, 2017, 08:21:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

KennyForAD

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 02, 2017, 10:51:57 am
lol I don't know what to tell ya. The program has integrity now and welcome to Hogville. These same guys were guaranteeing a 10 win season as well if that tells you the mentality that goes on on the internet.

Special teams...especially the kicking game, have overall been awful for the Bielema era. Think of all those fg blocks. Where we are today, probably best just to go for it on 4th down.

They aren't alone.  Its a mass insanity that runs through our fanbase and to my knowledge does not exist anywhere else.  This is astounding:

No one will argue that any of the following is incorrect:
1. Oline is HORRIBLE
2. Defense has been HORRIBLE and appears to be just as bad this year
3.  Special teams have been HORRIBLE for years.

Yet, if you dare criticize the people responsible for it (Long and BB) the same people who acknowledge how bad the team is ... will fight you.  Bizarre.

KennyForAD

Quote from: jcbville on October 02, 2017, 10:55:24 am
Youre talking to the wrong guy bud. I dont blindly worship anyone. Least of all CBB. If he was fired tomorrow my opinion would be, "Not sure it was the right move due to timing etc but hes "the guy", and when youre "the guy" you take the hit when things arent going well." That being said however, I do prescribe to logic and reason over hysteria. And last but not least, Ive been around a number of years now and you calling anyone a nut is like a prostitute calling someone else a hoe.

Well, she would know..

PonderinHog

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 02, 2017, 11:02:43 am
They aren't alone.  Its a mass insanity that runs through our fanbase and to my knowledge does not exist anywhere else.  This is astounding:

1. Oline is HORRIBLE

Yet, if you dare criticize the people responsible for it (Long and BB) the same people who acknowledge how bad the team is ... will fight you.  Bizarre.
Final solution?  Let's kill Kenny!

J-Five

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 02, 2017, 10:29:16 am
This is the problem.  A huge number of our fans suffer from some weird condition that makes them think fans should never be critical.  = Cuckoo

Reading is fundamental...I NEVER said fans can't be critical, I merely gave the definition of the word "fan".  Smh
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

KennyForAD

PonderinHog

KennyForAD

Quote from: J-Five on October 02, 2017, 11:13:16 am

Reading is fundamental...I NEVER said fans can't be critical, I merely gave the definition of the word "fan".  Smh

wrong.  Its an apparatus with rotating blades that creates a current of air for cooling or ventilation

Your definition of fanatic was crazy wrong too... and made up.  'Fanatic' has nothing to do with 'support.'   Fanatic = "Zeal"  "Extreme interest"  etc.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: cjack on October 02, 2017, 09:41:15 am
It didn't take long for me to realize why I took a 7 year break from Hogville.  There are too many people in here that believe whoever is the head coach is all-knowing, the best man for the job, should never be second guessed, and is an acceptable coach in the SEC.  CBB has averaged the same amount of SEC wins per season as John L.  If that's ok with the pro-Bielema crowd, why was John L. let go?  At some point in the NMSU game, we needed to attempt a FG.  That's not SEC coaching level knowledge.  It's common sense, which is something this place needs a lot more of.
Go back to another 7 year hiatus. You make too much sense and are too rational for 90% of the commenters here.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 02, 2017, 10:43:34 am
This coach is in his fifth year and his special teams can only be described as atrocious.  At OU, they were about to fire Barry Switzer for losing 3 games one year.  Nothing wrong with any of his coaching.  Offense great, defense great, special teams great.  Just... lost 3 games. 

Here, at Arkansas...

Our defense was among the worst in the country last year, and its not much improved, if at all.
Our Oline IS the worst in the country.
Our special teams have been ATROCIOUS for years.
We average 2 SEC wins per year....

Yet, if you dare complain about the HORRIFICALLY BAD coaching, a herd of Bizarro World weirdos jumps down your throat.   Weird.  Bizarre.  Freaky.  Strange.  Brainwashed.  Nitwits.
Even considering all of those FACTS, I still think Bielema deserves his $4 million per year income as head coach of the Razorbacks. He should probably get a raise of $500,000 for next year since he has to work so hard.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

KennyForAD

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 02, 2017, 11:45:29 am
Even considering all of those FACTS, I still think Bielema deserves his $4 million per year income as head coach of the Razorbacks. He should probably get a raise of $500,000 for next year since he has to work so hard.

Yeah.

Drop the Mike

Quote from: hogsanity on October 02, 2017, 10:01:16 am
Kicking a FG in a game in hand against NMSU no more prepares a FG kicker to go in late in a close SEC game than does having the backup throw some passes up 40+ against some hapless FCS team.

You obviously have never played sports. I would love you to make this statement to Coke kelley or our kickers and see if they agree.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 02, 2017, 11:52:34 am
You obviously have never played sports. I would love you to make this statement to Coke kelley or our kickers and see if they agree.

Hoping that's a typo, not a nickname

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 02, 2017, 08:21:50 am
That is weird, right?
Hell, we have high school kickers in the state that can go up there and make a 40yd field goal. This is just crazy.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Inhogswetrust

1. Oline is HORRIBLE

Mass insanity in a fanbase is common for ALL teams.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

factchecker

Quote from: rhames on October 02, 2017, 12:13:35 pm
Don't ruin their fun!!

Ok..... well, it's not good that we missed 2 field goals.  Those 2 field goals wouldn't have won the game but would have been a positive.

Does anyone know how many field goals Oklahoma has made on the year?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on October 02, 2017, 08:41:11 am
Our kicking has been atrocious for years. It is very frustrating. It's hard to blame Bielema on the Hedlund miss, though. He was the best kicker in the country and just couldn't keep it together. It sucks for him and it sucks for the program, but I doubt you could blame Bielema for it.
Correct. I don't blame CBB at all for Hedlund not panning out, you can't know everything.
However, I do blame him for trotting out the same kicker three years in a row. I had moved on from Hedlund mentally in 2015. I had seen enough at that point. No many 'low' kicks resulting in blocks, and distance/accuracy wasn't terribly good either. No offense to the kicker, but that was my conclusion, that it may be time to move on.

So to not possibly recruit another kicker, or possibly a recruited walk-on, or explore any other viable alternatives, is a fail and a head-scratching moment of why a coach seemingly doesn't recognize how critical a good FG kicker is.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 02, 2017, 12:13:15 pm
Mass insanity in a fanbase is common for ALL teams.

Yeah, but we have an odd strain here = coach worshipers

factchecker

We are also 15/18 in red zone conversions.  2 of which were the missed field goals.

So in 18 trips to the red zone we have scored a touchdown 15 times.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category27/sort04.html

I do agree that we need to find a field goal kicker.  We sorely miss a Hocker type kicker.  We need another walk-on to come in and replace the scholarship kicker.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

KennyForAD

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on October 02, 2017, 12:24:05 pm
Correct. I don't blame CBB at all for Hedlund not panning out, you can't know everything.
However, I do blame him for trotting out the same kicker three years in a row. I had moved on from Hedlund mentally in 2015. I had seen enough at that point. No many 'low' kicks resulting in blocks, and distance/accuracy wasn't terribly good either. No offense to the kicker, but that was my conclusion, that it may be time to move on.

So to not possibly recruit another kicker, or possibly a recruited walk-on, or explore any other viable alternatives, is a fail and a head-scratching moment of why a coach seemingly doesn't recognize how critical a good FG kicker is.

Right on!

FANONTHEHILL

They  attempted 2 and missed 2 against TCU.  They then replaced the kicker.  In the two games since the team has scored 43 and 42 points and not missed a PAT.  They're also 2 for 3 on fourth down attempts since TCU.  The fact that there hasn't been a FG attempt has more to do with the fact one hasn't been necessary than a lack of faith in Limpert or Mazza.  Would it be better if they started intentionally stalling drives on the 25 so we can get those FGs attempts in?
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

factchecker

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 02, 2017, 12:25:07 pm

Quit making yourself out to be a martyr.

Just because people don't bitch and complain NON-STOP doesn't mean they worship the coaches.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

EastexHawg

So if we're trailing 23-21 at South Carolina Saturday and have the ball on their 18 yard line with three seconds left...we're going to try to throw the ball into the end zone instead of attempting a 35 yard field goal to win it?

factchecker

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 02, 2017, 12:30:40 pm
So if we're trailing 23-21 at South Carolina Saturday and have the ball on their 18 yard line with three seconds left...we're going to try to throw the ball into the end zone instead of attempting a 35 yard field goal to win it?

How has our protection been all game?

What is Austin's numbers?

Do we have a mismatch at wide receiver we can exploit?

How many timeout do we have left?

With 18 seconds left we can a good pass and get out of bounds or take two shots at the endzone.  Might be a better option than a field goal.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

EastexHawg

Quote from: factchecker on October 02, 2017, 12:32:56 pm

With 18 seconds left we can a good pass and get out of bounds or take two shots at the endzone.  Might be a better option than a field goal.

18 yard line.  3 seconds.

PonderinHog

If we do, we had better score...

or else.

Heck, we'll probably be out of timeouts and the clock will run out.

factchecker

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 02, 2017, 12:35:34 pm
18 yard line.  3 seconds.

My bad - read it backwards.

Are we on the middle of the field, left or right hash?

Limpert is a left footed kicker so that might play a role.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on October 02, 2017, 12:10:12 pm
Hell, we have high school kickers in the state that can go up there and make a 40yd field goal. This is just crazy.
There's a kid from LR Catholic I believe they call 'Thunderfoot', he's quite impressive.
Don't know if he's kicking off grass or a tee, though.
I don't think Hedlund ever adjusted to kicking off the ground.

EastexHawg

October 02, 2017, 12:44:54 pm #79 Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 03:02:14 pm by EastexHawg
Quote from: factchecker on October 02, 2017, 12:37:38 pm

How does an SEC football program get to the point that anyone...fans, coach, anyone...would consider not kicking a 35 yard field goal on the last play of the game when trailing by two points?  And if we do send him out onto the field in that situation, would it be a nice thing if he had ever attempted a field goal in a game?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 02, 2017, 12:25:07 pm

Nobody worships coach. They either think he's doing good or they don't.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Bubba's Bruisers

I've gone blank.  Was there a situation in the A$M game where we were in FG range, but went for in on 4th down and missed?  I just can't recall.

I'm finding it difficult to use the OP's fact as a way to criticize BB...the TCU game notwithstanding.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on October 02, 2017, 12:10:12 pm
The Catholic High place kicker made a 54 yd FG against Bryant Friday night.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: factchecker on October 02, 2017, 12:37:38 pm

I see you as one of the more competent posters, so I'm surprised with this response.  Is it a result of you having zero confidence in us making a 35 yard FG?  I mean this is such a no-brainer regardless of who's kicking. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

hogsanity

1. Oline is HORRIBLE

No, but pointing it out over and over with the only solution offered is just firing everyone is tiresome. For those who want people fired, surely you know who should be hired, and how they can do something no coach here has done in 50 years or so - get top level players here, in sufficient numbers, to have the depth and talent necessary to win the sec.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 02, 2017, 12:44:54 pm
How does an SEC football program get to the point that anyone...fans, coach, anyone...would consider not kicking a 35 yard field goal on the last play of the game when trailing by two points?  And if we do sent him out onto the field in that situation, would it be a nice thing if he had ever attempted a field goal in a game?

No coach would forgo the FG attempt regardless of the struggles.  Even if the coach is 99% sure he'll miss the FG, I seriously doubt he'd chunk it into the EZ instead of attempting the FG.  Could you imagine the response from just about anyone if a couch chose to instead throw to the EZ and miss?  Talk about looking stupid.  No coach would risk that.  At least I'd think no sane coach would.

PorkRinds

It sure does suck that our red zone offense has improved.

J-Five

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 02, 2017, 11:20:34 am
wrong.  Its an apparatus with rotating blades that creates a current of air for cooling or ventilation

Your definition of fanatic was crazy wrong too... and made up.  'Fanatic' has nothing to do with 'support.'   Fanatic = "Zeal"  "Extreme interest"  etc.

This is amusing...that's all I can say. 
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

J-Five

Quote from: factchecker on October 02, 2017, 12:29:14 pm
Quit making yourself out to be a martyr.

Just because people don't bitch and complain NON-STOP doesn't mean they worship the coaches.

Concur...some folks are just rational and don't live and die by Arkansas football.  LOL

razorsharptusk

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 02, 2017, 10:59:43 am
The past 5 years has been abysmal. This year has started off the same. The fact that people can completely ignore that and put on a happy face is crazy to me as well.

This is easily the worst stretch since joining the SEC. Gotta be one of the worst stretches in school history.

I agree totally.   I mean the sheer fact that we cannot and will not kick field goals should be a huge red flag as to Coach B's recruiting efforts.  No wonder we are the laughing stock of the SEC.   And whatever you do, don't laugh at LSU.  Troy would beat us as well.   Afterall, we are Alabama's homecoming game.   :puke:
GO HOGS!!

East Clintwood

Quote from: LRHawg on October 02, 2017, 09:17:21 am
Fixed that for you.

Anyone of average intelligence or higher would understand the kicker needs some live-game practice before the SEC games start.

So, our coach fits into this category?
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

East Clintwood

Quote from: hogsanity on October 02, 2017, 10:01:16 am
Kicking a FG in a game in hand against NMSU no more prepares a FG kicker to go in late in a close SEC game than does having the backup throw some passes up 40+ against some hapless FCS team. 

Baby steps. Have to start somewhere.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

jcbville

Quote from: razorsharptusk on October 02, 2017, 01:15:25 pm
I agree totally.   I mean the sheer fact that we cannot and will not kick field goals should be a huge red flag as to Coach B's recruiting efforts.  No wonder we are the laughing stock of the SEC.   And whatever you do, don't laugh at LSU.  Troy would beat us as well.   Afterall, we are Alabama's homecoming game.   :puke:

The guy was an all american kicker coming out of high school. Like I think he was the #1 rated guy in the country at the time. He just lost it between the ears.

Hawg414

Quote from: factchecker on October 02, 2017, 12:32:56 pm

is it safe to assume we are the only team in all of football that would have to consider all of these things?

Redhogs

Quote from: cjack on October 02, 2017, 09:41:15 am
It didn't take long for me to realize why I took a 7 year break from Hogville.  There are too many people in here that believe whoever is the head coach is all-knowing, the best man for the job, should never be second guessed, and is an acceptable coach in the SEC.  CBB has averaged the same amount of SEC wins per season as John L.  If that's ok with the pro-Bielema crowd, why was John L. let go?  At some point in the NMSU game, we needed to attempt a FG.  That's not SEC coaching level knowledge.  It's common sense, which is something this place needs a lot more of.
Welcome back...too much common sense in this post, it's much needed here. Just call him Bert, they will act like you just hit on their wife...
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

factchecker

Quote from: Hawg414 on October 02, 2017, 01:54:17 pm
is it safe to assume we are the only team in all of football that would have to consider all of these things?

Maybe.... Maybe not.

Maybe Alabama should have considered not kicking a field goal vs. Auburn a couple years back.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Jim Harris

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on October 02, 2017, 12:38:10 pm
There's a kid from LR Catholic I believe they call 'Thunderfoot', he's quite impressive.
Don't know if he's kicking off grass or a tee, though.

No one I've seen in HS is kicking off the ground. They all use a tee. But on another note, the kick also kicked off from his 40 and it went through the uprights in a recent game.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: gchamblee on October 02, 2017, 09:13:28 am
id rather go for it on 4th down against the cupcakes to improve our offense in hopes that we won't need to kick field goals later. It is obvious you guys are just manufacturing reasons to be upset now.

That is flawed logic. The best time to build kicker confidence is at home against an inferior opponent. We will almost certainly be put in a position to "kick field goals later".  You seem to be manufacturing reasons to defend BB's poor coaching at all costs.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Rzbakfromwaybak

October 02, 2017, 03:01:08 pm #99 Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 03:12:13 pm by Rzbakfromwaybak
Quote from: jkstock04 on October 02, 2017, 10:26:31 am
A lot of truth here...people worship coaches instead of the program.

I would say though....if we can't kick field goals why try to? Bielema himself said we may just go for it on 4th down from now on. If we can't kick field goals that's probably the best strategy. We needed the win on Saturday, not to practice field goals.

Start missing field goals in those situations and we end up with Toledo part 2.

So far, I believe we have only tried field goals with one kicker. Not trying field goals any more, is like failing to run the ball well, & to stop trying....while only using one RB. Same thing with the passing game, & only throwing to one receiver that drops the ball too often. Do we stop trying the passing game....or try another receiver?  Every team in the NCAA needs a field goal kicker.  We're the only team that hasn't kicked one this year.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.