Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Precarious Situation

Started by Potosihog, November 24, 2017, 12:12:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Potosihog

Currently ranked in the 60's in recruiting.  I know this relates to only having 11 commitments.  With CBB's plan for retention and development it was explainable.

However, with the coaching change we are likely to see some movement on the 85.  Either players leaving on their own (not many) or being helped to find another place by the new coach. 

That could leave us with another "NCAA sanction" type year.  I could see this transition triggering another rebuild.  I believe it is necessary because the current one isn't looking good.

If you build a team on retention, you better be able to develop players.  I suspect the next coach will take a more "catch and cull" approach as most teams do.

Bubba's Bruisers

Probably.  BB's recruiting hasn't been measurably better than previous HC's, but that's somewhat to be expected. 

The poor OL recruiting alone will extend the "rebuild" timeframe.

I bet the next coach finds a way to get to 20+ in the current class, but I admit I'm not up on the 85 rules and how culling creates addition space for the current class.

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

King Kong

Next coach should sign 25 and work it out.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 24, 2017, 12:42:52 pm
Probably.  BB's recruiting hasn't been measurably better than previous HC's, but that's somewhat to be expected. 

The poor OL recruiting alone will extend the "rebuild" timeframe.

I bet the next coach finds a way to get to 20+ in the current class, but I admit I'm not up on the 85 rules and how culling creates addition space for the current class.
Keep saying it won't make it true, the numbers say it is better measurably and the retention is two or three fold better.
So rankings are "measurably " better and those measurably better ranked players also stay and contribute instead of washing out.

3kgthog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 24, 2017, 09:25:45 pm
Keep saying it won't make it true, the numbers say it is better measurably and the retention is two or three fold better.
So rankings are "measurably " better and those measurably better ranked players also stay and contribute instead of washing out.

Re-rank them after they've graduated or gone pro and these Bielema classes will lag behind.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: King Kong on November 24, 2017, 07:29:32 pm

I bet it's larger than it was going to be...

Pork Ranger

Quote from: King Kong on November 24, 2017, 07:29:32 pm

Yeah I see what you mean. I think we should take every worthy recruit we can until Signing Day whether that he 16 or a full 25. If we can get 25, trim the fat

havok

Unless you are 100% committed to a School... why would any player sign their LOI in early signing period.

SO many things could change between then and the next season.  One could end up being on a team that hires a new coach that you have no position.  I'd wait till the actual signing date in Feb, to ensure all the dominoes have fallen, the pieces are in place, and I know exactly who/what I am signing up for..

jgphillips3

I personally think this staff was hammering square pegs in round holes and the same players make look very different in a scheme that Better fits their abilities.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 25, 2017, 01:18:02 am
Re-rank them after they've graduated or gone pro and these Bielema classes will lag behind.
than how did he have the 4th most NFL guys drafted in the SEC in the last 5?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

online-with-swine

Retaining without developing will lead to your coach getting fired.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 25, 2017, 11:29:51 am
than how did he have the 4th most NFL guys drafted in the SEC in the last 5?

We've had like 21 players drafted over the last 5 years and like 2/3 of them were Not signed by BB.  We still need to have a couple more drafts to truly gauge who many of his recruits were drafted.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 25, 2017, 01:18:02 am

Do you really have so much venom for the guy to just throw out a complete lie and hope no-one researches it...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 25, 2017, 02:31:36 pm
We've had like 21 players drafted over the last 5 years and like 2/3 of them were Not signed by BB.  We still need to have a couple more drafts to truly gauge who many of his recruits were drafted.
fair enough, baw. But I do think we will recruit to our traditional spot pretty much regardless, aka ~22. vould jump up or down 10 spots depending on the coach. I think Norvell will have us in the top 20 most years, tbh.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Großer Kriegschwein

BBs recruiting successes were limited, with very scattered exceptions, to his first recruiting class.

Once they left early or graduated, he got swamped.
This is my non-signature signature.

Bacons Rebellion

The bad players leave because they can't play, and the good players leave because they can.

And then you play freshmen.