Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Seriously Jimmy Garapollo?

Started by 311Hog, May 09, 2014, 10:55:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

311Hog

Over a guy who won 2 National Championships.  Sometimes the draft makes no sense to me.

Break & Run

Quote from: 311Hog on May 09, 2014, 10:55:52 pm
Over a guy who won 2 National Championships.  Sometimes the draft makes no sense to me.

Bill Belichick >>> 311Hog

Just saying....
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

311Hog

Quote from: Break & Run on May 09, 2014, 10:56:35 pm
Bill Belichick >>> 311Hog

Just saying....

When was his last superbowl victory?  just sayin.  I am not saying i am anywhere close to that guy, but are you telling me you think a guy from Eastern Illinois.  Is a better prospect then Aaron Murray or Aj McCarron?

I have no idea why he drafted Garrapollo maybe the kid is really good at holding a clip board or going long for donuts, just odd to me that a kid like McCarron who has the physical tools and won at a level unseen in modern college football still isn't drafted by anyone. 

When you start seeing kids names coming off the board from Pittsburg State.... well they are all fliers at this point.

Break & Run

Quote from: 311Hog on May 09, 2014, 10:59:50 pm
When was his last superbowl victory?  just sayin.  I am not saying i am anywhere close to that guy, but are you telling me you think a guy from Eastern Illinois.  Is a better prospect then Aaron Murray or Aj McCarron?

I have no idea why he drafted Garrapollo maybe the kid is really good at holding a clip board or going long for donuts, just odd to me that a kid like McCarron who has the physical tools and won at a level unseen in modern college football still isn't drafted by anyone. 

Good lord, McCarron won those championships because of his team's defense and a great running game.  McCarron was only a game manager.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

311Hog

Quote from: Break & Run on May 09, 2014, 11:01:39 pm
Good lord, McCarron won those championships because of his team's defense and a great running game.  McCarron was only a game manager.

you cannot possibly think that Garrapollo inserted into Bama line up wins 2 outa 3 NC's.  Call him what you want so Eddie Lacy only ran for rookie of year because he was on bama, Ha ha Dix so on and so forth.

Just saying if looking at both QBs same size both same arm strength both arguable the same football IQ, but one won at the highest possible level in college the other played infront of a total of 5000 people in his entire career.

Who do you pick in the 3rd round?  the guy completing passes against future pro's or against future fry cooks?

btw i don't just mean to just stick up for McCarron there are probably at least 3 other QB's that come to mind before a kid from Eastern Ill.

Beantown Razahback

So then why isn't Greg McElroy good?

JansterZ71

I wouldn't draft AJ as a third string QB.  Murray on the other hand will be a started somewhere.  Teams are staying away because of his knee.  Someone will get a steal and train him up.  I also wod draft Mett.
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

311Hog

Quote from: Beantown Razahback on May 09, 2014, 11:05:29 pm
So then why isn't Greg McElroy good?

No idea still doesn't change my surprise that a Murray or Mettenburger or McCarron etc. would probably at this point go undrafted but that D2 kid playing against 5 8 4.8 forty corners he gets called up. just more mystery that is the draft i suppose.

HiggiePiggy

http://www.eiupanthers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3406

I would say he has had a pretty good career.   This could be why they took him. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Paul Swinebaum

It's a head scratcher for sure. I remember the mid-eighties...some dude out of Mississippi Valley State named Jerry Rice got drafted to catch passes. I still haven't figured it out.

HiggiePiggy

Yeah. People that evaluate talent go to more than just division 1 football teams. 

HogFanatic

Murray will have a career in the NFL, McCarron will not. Simple as that.

They are looking at versatility, play making, etc. McCarron was a system QB in a run-heavy offense.
Nick Saban has never had a QB that went on to great things in the NFL.

Tom Brady says hello.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on May 09, 2014, 11:53:15 pm
Murray will have a career in the NFL, McCarron will not. Simple as that.

They are looking at versatility, play making, etc. McCarron was a system QB in a run-heavy offense.
Nick Saban has never had a QB that went on to great things in the NFL.

Tom Brady says hello.

Both will probably be back ups there entire careers. 

Hogarusa

Is it possible that you have never seen Garrapollo play before? its tough to call it a headscratcher when you have no information. 
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

HogFanatic

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 10, 2014, 12:01:51 am
Both will probably be back ups there entire careers.

Nah. Not in Murray's case.
The guy set records as a tempo quarterback in CFBs toughest conference. He has shown toughness, poise, playmaking ability, etc.
He is a damn good quarterback.

You're right about McCarron though.

yraciv

Quote from: lowberh on May 10, 2014, 12:03:57 am
Is it possible that you have never seen Garrapollo play before? its tough to call it a headscratcher when you have no information. 

This! Tony Romo did alright for himself out of Eastern Illinois.  All the Illinois people up here say Garop was the better college QB.  Who knows how it will translate, but Garop has skills and it certainly wasn't  a reach. I still think Mallett keeps the backup role if they keep him around, but I really think was just the plan to open up Mallett for trade. You and I both know you have to basically drag Tom Brady off the field to make their backup QB matter.

bennyl08

Murray and Wilson were very similar qb's, IMO. AJ is much more than just a game manager at the college level. He won several big games on his arm. He and Murray will both start for at least half a season at some point in their first few years, but I don't think either will be extended starters, though both could easily have 10+ years in the league.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Paul Swinebaum

Quote from: lowberh on May 10, 2014, 12:03:57 am

My post was tongue in cheek. I can't speak for others but I had never seen Buck Buchanan, Walter Payton, Howie Long, or Jared Allen play in college just to name a few.

I don't participate in fantasy leagues and I don't make player personnel decisions for the pro teams. I'd venture to say that if Mel and Todd were better at evals, one of them, if not both, would be scouting in the NFL.

I love it when hype and hoopla gets trumped by grit and determination. Hooray for the underdog!

yraciv

Quote from: Hogworth W-900 on May 10, 2014, 12:53:11 am
My post was tongue in cheek. I can't speak for others but I had never seen Buck Buchanan, Walter Payton, Howie Long, or Jared Allen play in college just to name a few.

I don't participate in fantasy leagues and I don't make player personnel decisions for the pro teams. I'd venture to say that if Mel and Todd were better at evals, one of them, if not both, would be scouting in the NFL.

I love it when hype and hoopla gets trumped by grit and determination. Hooray for the underdog!

I have a feeling ESPN scouting pays better than no name NFL scout is getting. Just saying.

Paul Swinebaum

I can agree with ESPiN paying better than what either of them could pull from the league.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Break & Run on May 09, 2014, 11:01:39 pm

So was Tom Brady at Michigan, but I don't think Brady wanted to be a thug as much as McCarron; not that McCarron pulled it off mind you...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: yraciv on May 10, 2014, 01:04:27 am
I have a feeling ESPN scouting pays better than no name NFL scout is getting. Just saying.

You would be wrong...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

BorderPatrol

The OP obviously knows very little about the NFL, and football in general.

bp

LRRandy

This pick represents the highest that the Patriots have ever drafted a QB. It looks like the end of the line for Mallett.
This is fun, isn't it.

Burt B.

I hope Mallet gets traded and gets a shot.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Choctaw Hog

And that's why you are posting on a message board for free instead of making decisions for an NFL team. Belichick craps more football knowledge every day than you know. 

Mike_e

Quote from: yraciv on May 10, 2014, 01:04:27 am

Plus a nationwide audience is the smallest thing that will fit Mel's ego.

The few times I've watched him if anybody cuts him off he looks like he's about to throw a tantrum.  The guy's as brittle as his hair.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Hoggish1

Did you watch those six films of him?  BB sees quick release, good feet and nice touch. 

May mean that Mallett will be traded so his career can, finally, get started.  I'd love to see him go to Houston!   

HoopS

Highly intelligent and accurate.  That's why. 

Hogarusa

Quote from: Hogworth W-900 on May 10, 2014, 12:53:11 am

I appreciate your explaining but i understood your post perfectly seeing how you used the greatest WR in history as your example.  I was referring to the OP.

I am sure it was the headscratcher part of my post that threw you off

Pork Twain

Quote from: 311Hog on May 09, 2014, 10:59:50 pm

When you start seeing kids names coming off the board from Pittsburg State.... well they are all fliers at this point.
Being successful in the NFL is about more than just winning a SB and being a good qb is about more than being on a winning team.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

311Hog

Quote from: Pork Twain on May 10, 2014, 11:05:56 am
Being successful in the NFL is about more than just winning a SB and being a good qb is about more than being on a winning team.

some of you are funny, the draft is just like recruiting.  To me AJ and Murray would be 5 star recruits IE top level comp, high level of success and Garop would be that little known 3 star at best.

Some of you who in the same breath would bad mouth the 3 star because you didnt land the 5 star.  The only difference is that it is a draft you are the person choosing the player not the other way around.

I was simply making a statement about something that i thought was interesting to me.  That a team making a choice would by pass "5 star players" in favor of a 3 star guy diamond in the ruff.  Sure this guy may turninto the next "Tom Brady" and obviously i am not an NFL scout or coach just a guy on the internet like ALL of you.  And if you asked me to make a bet on a guy who is being drafted to be a "project" back up i would take the more proven product i guess when it comes to QB's  especially when they are all about the same size etc.

Shrug i would love it for a guy named Jimmy Garroppollo to make it big just so people would have to say his name over and over

Arthur pigby sellers.

I love this tread.  It reminds me of the espn commercial where the Pittsburgh fans are making fun of Cowher for drafting Roethlisberger.

Poker_hog

Quote from: 311Hog on May 09, 2014, 11:04:03 pm
you cannot possibly think that Garrapollo inserted into Bama line up wins 2 outa 3 NC's.  Call him what you want so Eddie Lacy only ran for rookie of year because he was on bama, Ha ha Dix so on and so forth.

BA could have had the same record at bama.  That line he had was a brick wall.  He mostly threw to wide open WRs.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

atekido

you really going to question the guy who seen the potential in Brady that no-one else did?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogworth W-900 on May 09, 2014, 11:46:00 pm
It's a head scratcher for sure. I remember the mid-eighties...some dude out of Mississippi Valley State named Jerry Rice got drafted to catch passes. I still haven't figured it out.

Haha! Nice touch.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pork Twain

Quote from: 311Hog on May 10, 2014, 12:16:32 pm
some of you are funny, the draft is just like recruiting.  To me AJ and Murray would be 5 star recruits IE top level comp, high level of success and Garop would be that little known 3 star at best.

Some of you who in the same breath would bad mouth the 3 star because you didnt land the 5 star.  The only difference is that it is a draft you are the person choosing the player not the other way around.

I was simply making a statement about something that i thought was interesting to me.  That a team making a choice would by pass "5 star players" in favor of a 3 star guy diamond in the ruff.  Sure this guy may turninto the next "Tom Brady" and obviously i am not an NFL scout or coach just a guy on the internet like ALL of you.  And if you asked me to make a bet on a guy who is being drafted to be a "project" back up i would take the more proven product i guess when it comes to QB's  especially when they are all about the same size etc.

Shrug i would love it for a guy named Jimmy Garroppollo to make it big just so people would have to say his name over and over
In your mind they passed up a 5* for a 3*, obviously they thought you were wrong.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

311Hog

Quote from: atekido on May 10, 2014, 02:28:24 pm

you really going to question the guy who seen the potential in Brady that no-one else did?

sorry but some of you give Belichik to much credit.  Brady was riding the pine until he had no choice but to play him.  And honestly got lucky IMHO.  He took Brady in what the 7th round it was a flier.  And honestly all i am saying is that he could have gotten Garrappollo in the 7th round to, as you can see all these SEC Qbs coming off the board in the 6th and 7th rounds.

If he knew Brady would end up being the Brady we know (btw Brady benefited greatly from a great team around him much like another QB that you all are trashing McCarron).  He would have started Brady over Bledsoe.

Fact is know one would know who Tom Brady is if he was drafted in the 2nd round and went to the Detriot Lions or Jacksonville Jaguars or any other terrible team strugging to get to .500.

husker71

Tommy Frazier came within a missed field goal of winning 3 straight NCs  He did win 2 (his jr and senior years)   had maybe the best overall game as a college qb vs Florida to win the last one 62-24. (go youtube and  most all the experts  picked Florida)  then was MVP in the East West Shrine game. HIs 1995 team was considered by most to be the best of all time    he went undrafted

Hogarusa

Quote from: 311Hog on May 10, 2014, 12:16:32 pm

Your problem is that only you would rank Murray and AJ as 5 stars for the draft as the teams and scouts clearly didnt. You're stuck on the helmet and uniform they wore in college and not what they are now.  If the NFL worked the way you think it does, Tim Tebow would be a multi year MVP and Super Bowl champ.

311Hog

Quote from: lowberh on May 11, 2014, 06:52:51 pm
Your problem is that only you would rank Murray and AJ as 5 stars for the draft as the teams and scouts clearly didnt. You're stuck on the helmet and uniform they wore in college and not what they are now.  If the NFL worked the way you think it does, Tim Tebow would be a multi year MVP and Super Bowl champ.

Umm no i wouldnt everyone knows that Tebow was a runner he was a runner in college.  McCarron and Murray were both highly rated PRO STYLE QBs in HS and achieved a high level of success in the toughest conference in college.  if you stood Murray McCarron, and Garrappollo side by side they would be all but identical physically.  Almost everything about them is very similar maybe Garrap is more mobile.  It isn't just the helmet maybe i look back on this thread in 5 years when Garappollo is a Pro Bowler and admit i was wrong to question the infallible Bill Belichik....

it still does not change the point i am ttrying to make.  Almost no one would PICK the 3 star QB over the 5 star QB in college recruiting, so why are so many of you surpised when someone questions choosing the 3 star QB over the multitude of 5 star QBs who have proven results against top flight competition in the NFL draft?  so far the only reason anyone has given is "because Bill Belichik doesn't make mistakes"  sounds like solid reasoning to me .....

pillowhog

You seriously need to wake up and get a clue.  What Bama QB has ever been anygood in the NFL in the last 30 years?  Zero! None!  Why?  Because they play with the best talent every year.  I wouldnt dream of drafting a Bama QB.  They are in shock in the NFL when their line cant hold everyone off for 3 seconds or more.  Its that plain and simple.  AJ will be awful in the NFL. 

pillowhog

Quote from: atekido on May 10, 2014, 02:28:24 pm

LMAO did he really see the potential in Brady?  If he would have he would not have waited for the 6th round.  He had no freakin clue Brady was anygood. 

Hogarusa

Quote from: 311Hog on May 11, 2014, 10:52:24 pm

it still does not change the point i am ttrying to make.  Almost no one would PICK the 3 star QB over the 5 star QB in college recruiting, so why are so many of you surpised when someone questions choosing the 3 star QB over the multitude of 5 star QBs who have proven results against top flight competition in the NFL draft?  so far the only reason anyone has given is "because Bill Belichik doesn't make mistakes"  sounds like solid reasoning to me .....

It will get there eventually for you.  Again, McCarron and Murray were not considered "5 star talents" to NFL scouts and organizations.  You are assigning a grade to them that nobody else is (with the exception of Bama/Georgia fans). Garoppolo was the higher ranked NFL prospect heading into the draft.  Until you realize this, your confusion will remain

pillowhog

Quote from: lowberh on May 12, 2014, 02:10:16 pm
It will get there eventually for you.  Again, McCarron and Murray were not considered "5 star talents" to NFL scouts and organizations.  You are assigning a grade to them that nobody else is (with the exception of Bama/Georgia fans). Garoppolo was the higher ranked NFL prospect heading into the draft.  Until you realize this, your confusion will remain
LOL exactly.  Mitch Mustain was the number 1 ranked QB out of highschool yet he shouldnt have been in the top 100

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: pillowhog on May 12, 2014, 02:24:28 pm
LOL exactly.  Mitch Mustain was the number 1 ranked QB out of highschool yet he shouldnt have been in the top 100

Huh? Just because he sat behind two other 5* QBs at USC doesn't mean he wasn't a talented college QB. Back then even the USC backups were making NFL squads.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

pillowhog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 12, 2014, 05:33:39 pm
Huh? Just because he sat behind two other 5* QBs at USC doesn't mean he wasn't a talented college QB. Back then even the USC backups were making NFL squads.
You must have not watched him play at Arkansas.  Mediocre.  Yea I know I know he won some games.  If you watched the games you saw he was not good.  I knew it when he was in H.S.  I told everyone then and got killed.  Average arm, skinny weak, no mental game, and floated balls.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: pillowhog on May 13, 2014, 08:25:58 am
You must have not watched him play at Arkansas.  Mediocre.  Yea I know I know he won some games.  If you watched the games you saw he was not good.  I knew it when he was in H.S.  I told everyone then and got killed.  Average arm, skinny weak, no mental game, and floated balls.

I certainly did watch him as a true freshman in the SEC, playing in a conservative offense where he shared equal snaps in practice with Dick while working among clashing offensive coaches.

I can see your distaste for the kid began well before he enrolled @ Arkansas, but he was far more talented than you give him credit for. Pete Carroll & Steve Sarkisian should agree, as they are the ones who brought him in with the other elite QBs at USC.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

311Hog

Quote from: lowberh on May 12, 2014, 02:10:16 pm

Umm both McCarron and Murray were 4/5 star rated recruits going into College.  And both of them performed well enough in College that i would say they justified their rankings wouldn't you?

Now if you want to argue whether or not their "game" or "athletic abilities", health concerns what have you is why other NFL teams passed on them over say a probably unranked recruit in HS QB in Garrappollo i can follow that logic, but i really do not think so at least not for there to be 4 rounds difference in their draft positions.

And honestly if you are trying to "sell" that NFL GM's etc. know what they are doing when it comes to drafting QB's and you are pointing to Tom Brady.  Let me ask you all weren't there something like 8 other QBs taken BEFORE someone took Brady? and that story plays out more often then not.  The story of NFL execs usually from bad teams get caught up in "combine numbers" and take people that do not pan out in the pros?

I dunno i still stand by my line of thought that there isn't much else a kid like McCarron can do to gain some of you people's respect.  Highly rated HS kid, he won about as much as you can win in College at the highest level, his stats are insane, he isn't small he isn't unathletic same for Murray and Mettenburger etc.

/shrug