Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long AD of the Year

Started by WilsonHog, May 20, 2015, 09:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

The award was presented by the Sports Business Journal and Daily. The other nominees were Mitch Barnhart, Kentucky; Ian McCaw, Baylor; and Dan Radakovich, Clemson.

Congratulations! More positive publicity for UA!

Hog N Bama

Contratulations to Jeff Long. Much deserved. I hope he stays at Arkansas till retirement.

Steef

reddogjcss

Congradulations. More great publicity for Razorbacks.

NuttinItUp

Dugann

By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

sickboy

RazorFlix

Love it.  Chairman of Playoff committee.  AD of the year.  Representing Arkansas.

titsonboar

fineswine

Hopefully, all of the people who moaned about him will now admit they had misconceptions.  Long is doing an outstanding job.

Iwastherein1969

Not a huge fan of Jeffy, but I must give kudo's where they are due.  Great job Jeff, although I still think you were attempting to bolt for Stanford going on 4 years ago leaving us in the lurch. But, I can't prove those rumors and Jeff, well, you are still here. So good luck on raising more money for the Razorback foundation and congratulations on the award.

ad: please go back to Coca-Cola as the official beverage of the UA....Pepsi and Crown Royal ?  well that's just too sweet, coke goes down much better with whiskey
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Hawgzinbowlz

Congratulations to Mr. Long.

He's continually working on building/improving our sports programs and raising/distributing money for The Razorbacks continued success.

An excellent businessman who happens to be passionate about Hog sports.

" WOO PIG "

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: Tom Bennett on May 20, 2015, 09:02:39 pm
The award was presented by the Sports Business Journal and Daily. The other nominees were Mitch Barnhart, Kentucky; Ian McCaw, Baylor; and Dan Radakovich, Clemson.

Con Man of the Decade. He already used both Texas and Stanford even though neither were interested in him for leverage to get undeserved raises from Arkansas. May be this award will get him that Next Job that he really wants at a very Liberal institution that will appreciate him more for what he is.

Harley_Hawg

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on May 21, 2015, 06:53:40 am
Con Man of the Decade. He already used both Texas and Stanford even though neither were interested in him for leverage to get undeserved raises from Arkansas. May be this award will get him that Next Job that he really wants at a very Liberal institution that will appreciate him more for what he is.
Bless your heart.

trippigs

He is indeed very good....congratulations!

hawgsalot

LOL if your not being sarcastic then I guess I feel really sorry for you.

Tequilin' Time

Bless your heart X2

Congrats Jeff Long!   Thanks for being here and all your hard work.

PorkRinds

There are still a few of you left.  Every year it gets harder to keep the faith though, and most sane people see Long for what he is, which is a strong AD that's done a great job. 

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 21, 2015, 08:24:45 am
There are still a few of you left.  Every year it gets harder to keep the faith though, and most sane people see Long for what he is, which is a strong AD that's done a great job.

I am not rejecting the Fact that JL has done some very good things since he came to Arkansas. I don't believe that I trust him given the flirtations with Texas and Stanford both initiated by him. His "Public Persona' is all about promoting Jeff Long, not The University of Arkansas. His handling of the John L. Smith hiring was a Train Wreck. The replacement of John McDonnell could have been handled much better. CBB was a solid hire of a Fine Man and if he can win in this League it becomes a Great Hire. Basketball? I am not sure anyone would have done much better and they would have sure received criticism for not hiring Mike Anderson. All in All, I don't see him as the Second Highest Paid A.D. in the SEC based on his results up till now. I would rate him with a High C or possibly an Incomplete based on 2 Things: #1 Is he really Loyal to the U of A for sure? Personally I don't think so. #2 Results since becoming A.D. We have not been exceptional in anything thus far in his Tenure as Chancellor as Athletics and A.D.

Things are stable and are trending in the Right Direction so there is No Way that any move for change should be made given the given Condition of our Athletic Department as of Today. He deserves time. CBB is a very good man and appears to be a great fit for us.

Pardon me for NOT just Jumping Up and Filling my Kool Aid Jar. I will continue to cautiously observe what Jeff Long does, not the illusion that he carefully crafts. I respect everyone of your opinions and how you feel about him. You may be right on Target, I am just not there quite yet.

Inhogswetrust

May 21, 2015, 08:54:08 am #19 Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:38:06 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: fineswine on May 21, 2015, 03:21:03 am
Hopefully, all of the people who moaned about him will now admit they had misconceptions.  Long is doing an outstanding job.

Agree. I was one of those at first but I was wrong. At first he had some issues with some boosters and other fans but I should have realized with any change that was to be expected. His style is different from what we had for so many years it took a while to warm up to him. I started to change my mind several years ago during the spring game when he went out of his way to speak to my wife and was very cordial. I started to think maybe he wasn't like what I had been told at first. I started to give it a fresh look after that. Nobody's perfect especially me but he has done an outstanding job. Congrats Jeff.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RazorPiggie

^^^^ Example that you can't fix stupid ^^^^

PorkRinds

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on May 21, 2015, 08:51:16 am
I am not rejecting the Fact that JL has done some very good things since he came to Arkansas. I don't believe that I trust him given the flirtations with Texas and Stanford both initiated by him. His "Public Persona' is all about promoting Jeff Long, not The University of Arkansas. His handling of the John L. Smith hiring was a Train Wreck. The replacement of John McDonnell could have been handled much better. CBB was a solid hire of a Fine Man and if he can win in this League it becomes a Great Hire. Basketball? I am not sure anyone would have done much better and they would have sure received criticism for not hiring Mike Anderson. All in All, I don't see him as the Second Highest Paid A.D. in the SEC based on his results up till now. I would rate him with a High C or possibly an Incomplete based on 2 Things: #1 Is he really Loyal to the U of A for sure? Personally I don't think so. #2 Results since becoming A.D. We have not been exceptional in anything thus far in his Tenure as Chancellor as Athletics and A.D.

Things are stable and are trending in the Right Direction so there is No Way that any move for change should be made given the given Condition of our Athletic Department as of Today. He deserves time. CBB is a very good man and appears to be a great fit for us.

Pardon me for NOT just Jumping Up and Filling my Kool Aid Jar. I will continue to cautiously observe what Jeff Long does, not the illusion that he carefully crafts. I respect everyone of your opinions and how you feel about him. You may be right on Target, I am just not there quite yet.

You drank some Kool aid alright.  The anti-Jeff Long kool aid.  The only thing you left out was calling him a carpetbagger Yankee.

GolfnHog

Bless your heart x 3. You ever thought of turning in your Razorback card and seeking professional counseling?

Congrats Jeff Long on a great reward and more importantly bringing the UofA to the forefront of national recognition in all facets of intercollegiate athletics.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Inhogswetrust

I'm sorry that someone running a multi, multi, multi million dollar enterprise isn't perfect, as you think they should be.

P.S. How do you know for a fact that he initiated contact with those other schools? By all means provide some proof. I bet you can't. Even IF he did then that's fine with me, since as an employer of people I know that that happens all the time and have no problem with it. I guess you think it is professionally moral for a company to initiate contact with your people but not your employee to do so with them. It should be a two-way street.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

BPsTheMan

this is such An Excellent Troll

BPsTheMan

Hogwall, are you Frank In Hackett?

younghog

Congratulations Jeff Long and the UofA

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

OTTER

The above post proves that when people post something about things they know nothing about, their post is pointless or asinine.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkRinds

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 21, 2015, 09:32:01 am
Good for Jeff!

You used to be one that called him a carpetbagging yankee and talked all kinds of smack about him.  Change your tune yet?

bigdaddyhawg

Yep, not bad for a Yankee!!  Way to go Jeff!!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

SooiecidetillNuttgone

90% agree with Hogwall.  Awfully sad that fellow Hog fans are belittled for voicing a dissenting view.   It still seems to me that JL is good/heavy on the $$ and weak/light on the athletics and 100% good at JL.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

KY Hog Man

This honor was tainted by the inclusion of Mitch Barnhart as a finalist.  The only thing he has done at Kentucky is hire Cal, and he was forced to do that.

PorkRinds

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on May 21, 2015, 10:22:16 am

90% agree with Hogwall.  Awfully sad that fellow Hog fans are belittled for voicing a dissenting view.   It still seems to me that JL is good/heavy on the $$ and weak/light on the athletics and 100% good at JL.

Tends to happen when the dissenting view is complete BS. 

hogfanshan

DukeOfPork

Why would Long need to go to a "very liberal institution"?  Seriously, what does that have to do with anything?  You appear to have carefully crafted a fantasy about Jeff Long that includes politics.

Your whole opinion is silly, but I especially got a kick out of that part.

sickboy

Logical dissent against the misguided majority is admirable and self sacrificing. Dissent in the face of overwhelming fact to the contrary is egotistical.

The Kig

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on May 21, 2015, 06:53:40 am.. . for leverage to get undeserved raises from Arkansas.

So,  does he deserve a raise now?  Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.  Smart people take advantage of situations when they actually have (wait for it....) leverage.  Maybe the people who sign his check realized exactly the valuable commodity they had and raised the stakes to keep him here.

Whatever pepole think he may be doing behind the scenes, he has represented the university well in the court of public opinion comprised of the vast majority of the viewing public and sports media. 
Poker Porker

Inhogswetrust

I have no problem with dissenting views when they come from a position of facts, knowledge, open-mindedness and in-depth thought processes and not strictly from a negative nannie viewpoint, hidden agenda, pot stirring, comparing to others, Etc, Etc, Etc. If I've learned one thing is that don't believe everything you hear even if from people you know that are considered friends when they talk about others. I will not make that mistake again.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: KY Hog Man on May 21, 2015, 10:23:18 am
This honor was tainted by the inclusion of Mitch Barnhart as a finalist.  The only thing he has done at Kentucky is hire Cal, and he was forced to do that.

Unless you are the one that forced him to hire Cal then you don't know if he was or wasn't forced too. I'm betting he wasn't. Prove me wrong.

razorbackfaninar

I see it said on here a lot that "fellow hog fans aren't allowed to have a dissenting opinion on this board". I find there to be a lot of differing opinions, but sometimes people say things that in my opinion are ignorant. If I happen to say that they are ignorant, that doesn't negate your or anyone else's right to that opinion. Just because someone thinks your idea is without merit doesn't mean you aren't allowed to have it, but you also cant expect to say things that are devoid of reason and have people go "hey great point" or at the very least not try to refute you with their own opinion. I personally think Jeff Long has been good for the university. He's had to negotiate us through some tricky times and it looks like we have come out the other side no worse for wear, or maybe  a little better off. I also find it odd that on a board that i would assume is dominated by Republicans, or at the very least Capitalists, that people would hold it against Long for using circumstances to better his position.  He has a commodity to sell, himself, his skills as an administrator, and the he is getting paid what the market will bear.  Isn't that good business? Would we all like him better if he tried to give back some of his money at the end of each year? Everyone says he's good with $$$$ but not athletics. His job is to bring in money for athletics. Would we rather that he was bad at that part of it. what would it look like if he was good at athletics? We could do a lot worse than Jeff Long.

zane

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 21, 2015, 08:57:24 am
The only thing you left out was calling him a carpetbagger Yankee.

Dang you PR! I was just about to post this.
RIP LSUfan

HogMantheIntruder

But I heard he was a bad Athletic Director from some very reliable sources. They don't give Hogville accounts to just anyone, you know.  According to these sources, he only promotes himself and cares nothing for the university.  I don't get it.

Edit:  It has come to my attention that, apparently, they DO give Hogville accounts to just anyone (who knew?).  Oh, and it turns out any positive press JL receives is, in turn, good for the University.  Sorry for any confusion.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

phadedhawg

Gratz Jeff Long!!! 

I think it will speak well for Razorback athletics.  Good coaches will know they will be dealing with a man of integrity.  Hopefully that pays off over the years.

Cinco de Hogo

Proof positive that if you drive a jeep into a mudhole, never fear, you can get it out.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 21, 2015, 09:45:14 am
You used to be one that called him a carpetbagging yankee and talked all kinds of smack about him.  Change your tune yet?

Probably just a lull while he gets ready to fight the next civil war battle.............................doesn't want to rile them up to much.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on May 21, 2015, 12:40:58 pm
I see it said on here a lot that "fellow hog fans aren't allowed to have a dissenting opinion on this board". I find there to be a lot of differing opinions, but sometimes people say things that in my opinion are ignorant. If I happen to say that they are ignorant, that doesn't negate your or anyone else's right to that opinion. Just because someone thinks your idea is without merit doesn't mean you aren't allowed to have it, but you also cant expect to say things that are devoid of reason and have people go "hey great point" or at the very least not try to refute you with their own opinion. I personally think Jeff Long has been good for the university. He's had to negotiate us through some tricky times and it looks like we have come out the other side no worse for wear, or maybe  a little better off. I also find it odd that on a board that i would assume is dominated by Republicans, or at the very least Capitalists, that people would hold it against Long for using circumstances to better his position.  He has a commodity to sell, himself, his skills as an administrator, and the he is getting paid what the market will bear.  Isn't that good business? Would we all like him better if he tried to give back some of his money at the end of each year? Everyone says he's good with $$$$ but not athletics. His job is to bring in money for athletics. Would we rather that he was bad at that part of it. what would it look like if he was good at athletics? We could do a lot worse than Jeff Long.

Agree completely.   Disagreement is different from being called B.S. and badgering.   BTW, see my statement above.   I didn't say not allowed to....I said belittled for.

It's not easy to be a dissenting voice when you want others to agree with you, especially when you're all on the same team.   It's doubly so when attacks vs debates coupled with being the lone survivor in the Alamo sets in.

I accept it cause I do it plenty, but it's still not fun, especially when you can't even seem to get others to even entertain the possibility that you may have some weight to your statements.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on May 21, 2015, 01:27:37 pm
Agree completely.   Disagreement is different from being called B.S. and badgering.   BTW, see my statement above.   I didn't say not allowed to....I said belittled for.

It's not easy to be a dissenting voice when you want others to agree with you, especially when you're all on the same team.   It's doubly so when attacks vs debates coupled with being the lone survivor in the Alamo sets in.

I accept it cause I do it plenty, but it's still not fun, especially when you can't even seem to get others to even entertain the possibility that you may have some weight to your statements.

The easiest way to have gain some weight in your statements in the eyes of others is to have some facts, figures, firsthand knowledge or logical and rational thoughts involved.............................

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 21, 2015, 01:30:25 pm
The easiest way to have gain some weight in your statements in the eyes of others is to have some facts, figures, firsthand knowledge or logical and rational thoughts involved………………………..

Thanks.
His response to me: