Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stop Resurrecting Old Threads to Argue

Started by WilsonHog, February 22, 2015, 12:55:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

We're 22-5, winners of 9 of our last 10, and enjoying our best season in almost 20 years.

If you can't find something new and positive to discuss in all of that, get on down the road.

Dr. Starcs

Totally agree.

I've always stood by the belief that 4 years is enough time. Clearly CMA is getting it done this year and we should all be happy.

There will inevitably be more losses this year, but as a whole, its been a fun ride and we are back in the national conversation. I'm satisfied with that.

Go Hogs

TNhawgfan

Thanks wilson, I couldn't agree more. All of the so called hater and hugger nonsense is tiring. We're all hog fans
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

1highhog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 22, 2015, 12:59:03 pm
Totally agree.

I've always stood by the belief that 4 years is enough time. Clearly CMA is getting it done this year and we should all be happy.

There will inevitably be more losses this year, but as a whole, its been a fun ride and we are back in the national conversation. I'm satisfied with that.

Go Hogs

Same here, I've had to reevaluate some this Season because I to think 4 years is plenty long enough for a Coach to resurrect a BBall program, and I didn't know If CMA had it in him, but even though like you said, I know more losses are coming, but I'm happy with what this team has done so far this year, they've won some really tough games on the road.  Go get'm Hogs!

elksnort

Good thread. 

So what if some of us had doubts whether CMA was going to turn it around. 
We all love the hogs. 
This season for me is turning out just liked I hoped it would. 

I'm enjoying now.  No telling about next year. 

Athog

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 22, 2015, 12:55:46 pm
We're 22-5, winners of 9 of our last 10, and enjoying our best season in almost 20 years.

If you can't find something new and positive to discuss in all of that, get on down the road.

nuff said!!

lefty08

I think it was done more to show people not to judge too quickly, there is plenty of arguing in here as it is. The game threads are proof. Anything goes in there. I know u didn't seem to be a MA fan Wilson, what's your opinion now?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: lefty08 on February 22, 2015, 01:47:54 pm
I think it was done more to show people not to judge too quickly, there is plenty of arguing in here as it is. The game threads are proof. Anything goes in there. I know u didn't seem to be a MA fan Wilson, what's your opinion now?
+1000000000000

Porkys Revenge

This thread wouldn't never be seen in MMQB. But since it's Anderson and jump ball, oh well..

98hogs

I've been a MA fan since day 1 and never jumped off the boat. I agree with you and I am not one that does this,  but no one should be dictating what should be discussed and  what should not. Trying to control speech is un American.

PharmacistHog

That's crap. It's strictly done for an "I told ya so" just like most of the threads after a win or a loss.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

k.c.hawg

I have a real dislike for all the bad threads on the board. However, I think people shouldn't put strong opinions about our coaches and players in writing and not be held accountable if their strong opinions that are often stated as facts, turn out to be wrong. It is easy to get on here and burn this coach down, burn this team down, when they lose two games in a row. I find it very good reading when a thread is resurrected so I can see who had the best grip on a particular situation. It gives me insight into what posters opinions I might should trust and what posters opinions I might ignore.

I don't see as much arguing in those threads as I see fact checkers looking for posts that were factual or posts with spewed venom. One reason for the lack of arguments are the poster that posted the opinions with no insight are no where to be seen. Oh well, I will miss some of the fact checking that has been going on.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

mykidsdad

I could not disagree more. We have had to put up with posters spewing hate and idiotic nonsense for so long in basketball. If people want to point out those poster stupid comments then I say do it. They are the ones that posted that crap in the first place so they can live with what people drag up. You don't think they will be back spewing the same garbage at the first opportunity? Think again. Posting the old negative crap may help shut them up in the future. Don't give them a pass.

lefty08

Quote from: mykidsdad on February 22, 2015, 02:06:40 pm
I could not disagree more. We have had to put up with posters spewing hate and idiotic nonsense for so long in basketball. If people want to point out those poster stupid comments then I say do it. They are the ones that posted that crap in the first place so they can live with what people drag up. You don't think they will be back spewing the same garbage at the first opportunity? Think again. Posting the old negative crap may help shut them up in the future. Don't give them a pass.

i agree, unless you agreed to begin with
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

Adam Stokes

While I'm not the one bringing back threads, I think it serves as a good reminder to not be so negative to the program.  There is nothing wrong with predicting we will go 9-9 in conference, the problem is when people say Mike has no clue or that Alandise is a terrible shooter after one bad game.  Such threads bring to light that we shouldn't react as quickly as a hungry, tired, ovulating woman.  If bringing back those threads prevent even one future post as the ones found in such threads, I feel even more should be brought back.  I use my real name as my username to check myself against posting crap, but others don't have anything holding them back and don't seem to think twice before pressing post.

k.c.hawg

Man I would love to be able to go behave badly without any chance of being held accountable by my peers. No chance of someone filming what I was doing, no chance of someone recounting my stupid behavior. I guess then the only thing that would hold one back would be personal accountability. We all know everyone on Hogville holds themselves accountable for what they post. I'm sure they are all lining up to come on and admit they were out of line, had an agenda, were posting out of anger rather than thinking first, aren't really hog fans....etc.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

lefty08

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 22, 2015, 02:00:54 pm
That's crap. It's strictly done for an "I told ya so" just like most of the threads after a win or a loss.

Somebody has their posts in there somewhere I'm guessing

Swinesong1

Still not understanding the rationale.  You're allowed to post negative and agenda driven crap.  It won't be taken down ever.  But, if I bring it back up, I'm causing an argument.  Seems fair.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 22, 2015, 02:06:30 pm
I have a real dislike for all the bad threads on the board. However, I think people shouldn't put strong opinions about our coaches and players in writing and not be held accountable if their strong opinions that are often stated as facts, turn out to be wrong. It is easy to get on here and burn this coach down, burn this team down, when they lose two games in a row. I find it very good reading when a thread is resurrected so I can see who had the best grip on a particular situation. It gives me insight into what posters opinions I might should trust and what posters opinions I might ignore.

I don't see as much arguing in those threads as I see fact checkers looking for posts that were factual or posts with spewed venom. One reason for the lack of arguments are the poster that posted the opinions with no insight are no where to be seen. Oh well, I will miss some of the fact checking that has been going on.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

HogPound

regi

Quote from: mykidsdad on February 22, 2015, 02:06:40 pm

I agree, posters here have ripped players and Anderson for 2 years or more. You should be held accountable for your posts.

razortv

Lanny

Great words of Wisdom from Wilsonhog.  What is wrong with you guys
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

lefty08

PharmacistHog

Quote from: lefty08 on February 22, 2015, 02:25:59 pm
Somebody has their posts in there somewhere I'm guessing

Go hunt for them. You won't find any. Just tired of all the crap. Half the folks starting all the crap are the ones who were yelling for Long's head, and he's the one that hired these coaches. Just one argument after another.
Millennials suck...

Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Thank you. I've seen 10-12 old and irrelevant threads revived. ;)

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: Lanny on February 22, 2015, 02:50:05 pm
Maybe some people are tired of others posting crap about Anderson and the team and want them to be held accountable?

Maybe if they get called out they may refrain from doing so in the future?

GatorHog

If no resurrection, can we just pick out about 20 choice quotes and have them stickied until the season is over?

Lanny

Nobody likes "I told you so".  Move on and enjoy this season
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

forrest city joe

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on February 22, 2015, 01:52:17 pm
This thread wouldn't never be seen in MMQB. But since it's Anderson and jump ball, oh well..

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on February 22, 2015, 01:52:17 pm

Bingo. notice how it was ok to bash Mikr and want Greg Marshall. now those of us who supported Mike doing the bashing, should not pull up old threads. what a joke. we should all just forget the BS post that were allowed here at the time. give me a break. GO HOGS, AND GO MIKE ANDERSON.

hawgfan4life

Who made Wilsonhog dictator of the board?  Oh wait..... Yes!  I totally agree.

Kidding aside, anyone not content at the moment must have a really sad life.

TRUHOG718

Bringing up old posts helps to show those who expect our coaches and players to be perfect by posting idiotic remarks of doom and gloom after every loss that they are not perfect as well. I recall a hogville moderator using the words "Mike Anderson is done here" after a 2 game loss. You can't fix stupid. If people are forced to re read their own garbage maybe they wouldn't post trash like that in the first place making your job easier Wilson and co. But that's just my opinion of course.

TH
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Lanny on February 22, 2015, 03:04:48 pm
But we all like the "fire Anderson", he'll never get the Hogs to the tourney", "hire a new coach", "he's a better coach than Anderson, "this team has no heart" posts huh?

lefty08

There have been several mods posting things like that. Of course there were 50X more of us regular guys. I think being reminded of ones stupid decisions can be positive

Letsroll1200

Supporting MA on this board after a tough ending to last season and some adversity early this season produced threads about Marshall, MA coaching etc...... Meanwhile a few posters like myself keep saying MA will get the job done and the program continues to improve under his leadership.

At the same the negative and pessimistic posters where in full force about the lack of improvement under MA, and every negative thing they could find to downgrade this team. I'm not interested in bringing back old threads because they already know who they are. Success is silencing the majority of the pessimist.

Just seem strange to me that now the tables have turned that threads can not be brought back up!

Steef

Quote from: lefty08 on February 22, 2015, 03:31:07 pm
There have been several mods posting things like that. Of course there were 50X more of us regular guys. I think being reminded of ones stupid decisions can be positive

Malice is never constructive.

sickboy

Quote from: Lanny on February 22, 2015, 03:04:48 pm

While I agree, if posters are allowed to be so patently negative in the face of logic, then you're going to have posters on the other side who will inevitably feel the need to bring back threads to prove their points.

You can't have one without the other. It is a chemical reaction.

lefty08

Quote from: steefhog on February 22, 2015, 03:38:31 pm
Malice is never constructive.

I agree with that Steef, just wonder what the motives are to not wanting old threads drug back up. It certainly isnt to keep the peace, that was ruined a long time ago. So what are the reasons? Ive got some ideas, but ill keep them to myself

Swinesong1

Quote from: lefty08 on February 22, 2015, 03:41:36 pm
I agree with that Steef, just wonder what the motives are to not wanting old threads drug back up. It certainly isnt to keep the peace, that was ruined a long time ago. So what are the reasons? Ive got some ideas, but ill keep them to myself
Things that make you go hummmmmm.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: Lanny on February 22, 2015, 02:50:05 pm
Lanny, I know that we are all here by the grace of you and I thank you for that.  That being said, I don't agree with Wilson on this.  I know he gets tired of cleaning up the crap afterwards, and I truly understand that.  But there are some on this site that have been irrationally critical of Anderson, Bielema etc. and they never get called on it.  Pulling back up their actual words and making them look at them again serves a very good purpose of letting them know that sometimes it is better to just keep your mouth shut if you don't have ANYTHING constructive to say.  A few owned up and made fun of their earlier posts and that was the point.  Others doubled down on the stupid and said, just wait til next year and we won't be any good then.  I guess some just love to be hateful and negative because that is their personality.

I think humble pie is a useful teaching tool sometimes.  JMHO

Nipsey Mussle

I don't have any interest in drudging up old threads but I can't imagine why an "I told you so" wouldn't be appropriate. There were so many on here who adamantly refused to even give the guy a chance and every little loss was met with unbelievable criticism. The hardest part is that the criticism can be so stupid that it isn't even worth arguing, ie. when BP and Qualls missed repeated lay ups against aTm last season and the narrative on HV was "MA didn't have them ready to play."

I told everyone to give BB a chance because he would certainly get it done and I had the exact same message about MA. I don't get why the haters can't take the same approach. Why bash a coach unmercifully from the beginning, well before the jury is out on them? I guess I'm just not cut like that.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 22, 2015, 03:35:41 pm
Supporting MA on this board after a tough ending to last season and some adversity early this season produced threads about Marshall, MA coaching etc...... Meanwhile a few posters like myself keep saying MA will get the job done and the program continues to improve under his leadership.

At the same the negative and pessimistic posters where in full force about the lack of improvement under MA, and every negative thing they could find to downgrade this team. I'm not interested in bringing back old threads because they already know who they are. Success is silencing the majority of the pessimist.

Just seem strange to me that now the tables have turned that threads can not be brought back up!
It's pitiful. but it's not by board. just wait until the Hogs start losing again. you won't see anyone on here saying don't bash the coach. they will be free to post that same crap again. let me say again. this is not my board. so the people who own it and run it can do as they please. but this is just wrong.

GatorHog

Gais, gais, just put your favs in your sigs

secfan30

+1

Steef

Quote from: lefty08 on February 22, 2015, 03:41:36 pm

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but yes, 'keeping the peace' is exactly my hope.

Well, that and laziness. I/we (staff) have to cruise threads to watch for rules violations and move them. By definition, calling up old threads for "I told you so" is going to get into a cat fight. Name calling.

It's LOOKING for a fight. JUST...a fight.

secfan30

Quote from: sickboy on February 22, 2015, 03:38:51 pm
While I agree, if posters are allowed to be so patently negative in the face of logic, then you're going to have posters on the other side who will inevitably feel the need to bring back threads to prove their points.

You can't have one without the other. It is a chemical reaction.

Action/Reaction

This is science

Swinesong1

Quote from: steefhog on February 22, 2015, 03:50:20 pm
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but yes, 'keeping the peace' is exactly my hope.

Well, that and laziness. I/we (staff) have to cruise threads to watch for rules violations and move them. By definition, calling up old threads for "I told you so" is going to get into a cat fight. Name calling.

Can I please get my concern/question addressed?  What does the coach and player bashing do?  Promote unity?  This team is off to one of the best starts in YEARS but you wouldn't know it by posts on here.  Even after wins. 

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: steefhog on February 22, 2015, 03:50:20 pm

And what is "Pay Gregg Marshall whatever he wants..." trying to do?

forrest city joe

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on February 22, 2015, 03:46:03 pm
Lanny, I know that we are all here by the grace of you and I thank you for that.  That being said, I don't agree with Wilson on this.  I know he gets tired of cleaning up the crap afterwards, and I truly understand that.  But there are some on this site that have been irrationally critical of Anderson, Bielema etc. and they never get called on it.  Pulling back up their actual words and making them look at them again serves a very good purpose of letting them know that sometimes it is better to just keep your mouth shut if you don't have ANYTHING constructive to say.  A few owned up and made fun of their earlier posts and that was the point.  Others doubled down on the stupid and said, just wait til next year and we won't be any good then.  I guess some just love to be hateful and negative because that is their personality.

I think humble pie is a useful teaching tool sometimes.  JMHO
Good post. it's Lanny board, and he can run it however he wants. but i 100% disagree with Wilson on this one. but i am not shocked one bit that he wants this. those of us who defended Mike Anderson should just forget the crap that was posted about Mike during the hard time.(just act like it never happen?)just pitiful. if we want to keep posting here, we have no choice but to stop pulling up old post now that Lanny has said so.but this is just sad.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 22, 2015, 03:47:03 pm
It's pitiful. but it's not by board. just wait until the Hogs start losing again. you won't see anyone on here saying don't bash the coach. they will be free to post that same crap again. let me say again. this is not my board. so the people who own it and run it can do as they please. but this is just wrong.

Mmqb isnt littered with all your old " fire jeff long" and " bring back bobby" crap. This is no different.
Millennials suck...