Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

One disturbing stat today

Started by LJHOG, February 21, 2015, 05:45:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LJHOG

Rebounding!  We have got to stop being out rebounded by double digits come tournament time.

Swinesong1

Quote from: LJHOG on February 21, 2015, 05:45:22 pm
Rebounding!  We have got to stop being out rebounded by double digits come tournament time.
Huh?

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

rude1

It's only disturbing when you lose. Would you rather win the rebounding battle but lose the game?

chiefhawg

If it ain't one thing it is another.

regi

http://www.covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/ncb/results/2014-2015/boxscore888526.html

34-27 say these guys....over react much? we more than made up for that with a plus 9 TO margin. Only reason game was close, was 35% from field, 20% from three, and missed a lot of bunnies. Life on the road

davril98

ishankem

As long as we win, I could care less how fewer rebounds we get

BigoBoys

Getting your arm cut off is disturbing

HSVhogfan2

Rebounds are extra possessions. AR got 7 less RBs but had 9 less TOs. I think that is 2 extra possessions.

BTW, for all of the "just box out" crowd, it is not as easy to box out a guy, who has great lateral quickness and a 36" vertical, as it was in the movie Hoosiers. Not to mention, the "over the back call" has, largely, went away.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

regi

davril98

And led blocks 11-3 and made 10 more free throws than them

ishankem

azhog10

Got out rebounded by 7. We forced them into 9 more turnovers than us. So we came out on top.

Breems

Don't care. Turnovers are rebounds.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

rljjr

We also made more free throws than they shot -- on their court -- even though the number of fouls called we pretty even. So that's a positive stat.

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

HawgnCorona

We probably get out rebounding each game. But we are 22-5! So it dont matter.

So long as we can score points off the TO. And To does NOT stand for time out.

Although we like to score out of the TO. Wait, What?!

regi

Quote from: HawgnCorona on February 21, 2015, 05:57:03 pm
We value TOs more than Reb...

Some will never except this fact. It is what the program is based on, defense and winning the turnover battle. It is what it is, and the way we are going to play. Period

secfan30

A road game that we won after being down the majority of the game with a sick Portis......... Come on man

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

popcornhog

Quote from: rude1 on February 21, 2015, 05:49:45 pm
It's only disturbing when you lose. Would you rather win the rebounding battle but lose the game?

It can be disturbing in a win.

But the W is the bottom line.

What the OP fails to note is that, despite inconsistencies, we are greatly improved on the glass.

Defensive rebounding was disturbing today though.
WPS

Hogfaniam

Quote from: ishankem on February 21, 2015, 05:51:49 pm
As long as we win, I could care less how fewer rebounds we get

But why make it so hard on ourselves.  Rebound and win by 14 instead of 4.  Why give a team 16 extra scoring opportunities needlessly.  That's living dangerously. 
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

ricepig

HawgnCorona

Quote from: regi on February 21, 2015, 06:00:58 pm
Some will never except this fact. It is what the program is based on, defense and winning the turnover battle. It is what it is, and the way we are going to play. Period

It is a fact and those that dont except it, don't...

HamHands

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on February 21, 2015, 05:52:29 pm
Rebounds are extra possessions. AR got 7 less RBs but had 9 less TOs. I think that is 2 extra possessions.

BTW, for all of the "just box out" crowd, it is not as easy to box out a guy, who has great lateral quickness and a 36" vertical, as it was in the movie Hoosiers. Not to mention, the "over the back call" has, largely, went away.

11 blocked shots is also a potential 22 point swing as well.

We won in the Hump. Proud of the fight in this team.
One day at a time.

b_stackhouse

The rebounding stat was 42-31. The link to the box score that was posted didn't have team rebounds accounted for.

A big reason for the discrepancy today was that Arkansas missed so many shots. Those are usually defensive rebounds.

Additionally, the Hogs will lose the rebound margin most games. They make up for it with the turnovers they face. Also, I think 2nd chance points is by far a much more important stat. That was 8-7 in favor of Miss St.

BadHog

Let's face it - someone has got to have something to bitch about. It was ugly, but it was one the road, team wasn't 100%, but they got it done! HAPPY!
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

HawgnCorona

Quote from: ricepig on February 21, 2015, 06:03:58 pm
Only if you need it.

Kinda like the guy who go his hand mashed by a boulder and had to sever his hand in order to live!?

Swinesong1

Quote from: b_stackhouse on February 21, 2015, 06:06:09 pm
The rebounding stat was 42-31. The link to the box score that was posted didn't have team rebounds accounted for.

A big reason for the discrepancy today was that Arkansas missed so many shots. Those are usually defensive rebounds.

Additionally, the Hogs will lose the rebound margin most games. They make up for it with the turnovers they face. Also, I think 2nd chance points is by far a much more important stat. That was 8-7 in favor of Miss St.
Why pick this game to be disturbed though?  Hogs have done pretty well on the boards all season.

jesterzzn

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on February 21, 2015, 05:52:29 pm

A turnover is an extra possession.  An offensive rebound is an extra possession.  A defensive rebound is only 3/5 an extra possession because by definition it follows a shot.

So it almost takes two defensive rebounds to equal one turnover.

ishankem

Yes, it was ugly.  We like it ugly, that's how we win and we like to win UGLY!!

b_stackhouse

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 21, 2015, 06:09:01 pm
Why pick this game to be disturbed though?  Hogs have done pretty well on the boards all season.

You would have to ask the OP. I never said I was disturbed about it.

Like I said, the Hogs make up for it most nights by forcing more turnovers. And, in my mind, 2nd chance points is more important.

HawgnCorona

We out turned them over 22 times to there 13. That should cheer you up. Now if some one knows the point off TO to add to the terrific stat would be great.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: ishankem on February 21, 2015, 06:11:18 pm
Yes, it was ugly.  We like it ugly, that's how we win and we like to win UGLY!!

Vandy and Miss St usually are ugly games for us...

BadHog

Only one stat matters - 65-61...
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

choppedporkextrasauce

Hog_One_Stop

b_stackhouse

Quote from: HawgnCorona on February 21, 2015, 06:17:29 pm
We out turned them over 22 times to there 13. That should cheer you up. Now if some one knows the point off TO to add to the terrific stat would be great.

23-16 Ark

idochog

Road win dude. We won the only stat column that mattered
I love Jesus!

choppedporkextrasauce

b_stackhouse

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on February 21, 2015, 06:36:01 pm
Well since you're correcting... it was 23-14.

I'm not talking about turnovers. I'm talking about points off turnovers.

code red

Today was a win.  We are underachieved fundamentally but that happens on the road.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Biggus Piggus

When they focus on rebounding their defense slips. It will always be a juggling act.
[CENSORED]!

LJHOG

Good teams (MsSt is not one) don't turn the ball over.  Our defensive rebounding will need to be better come tournament time.

TomasPistola

Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

joco

It's not just rebounding versus turnovers.  The key is offensive rebounding difference versus turnover differential.  That leads to extra possessions.

mhuff

Quote from: azhog10 on February 21, 2015, 05:54:50 pm
Got out rebounded by 7. We forced them into 9 more turnovers than us. So we came out on top.

mhuff

Speaking of rebounds..... Harris got a key rebound and a blocked shot near the end of this game..... This with four fouls on him.