Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bud Walton Will Never Be As Exciting As It Used To Be

Started by collins4heisman, February 20, 2015, 12:59:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

collins4heisman

Only as long as they keep electronically playing music over the PA speaker system during timeouts instead of the band controlling the crowd. It's such a buzz kill and literally kills the energy and momentum. It happens every game now, we'll get on a run and the opposing team will call timeout because the crowd starts to become a factor- but instead of segueing directly into an exciting pumped up band song like William tell overture (or something similar like they used to) now they just play some stupid song over the speakers and the crowd just looks perplexed and sits down and goes back to being quiet. Who made these changes and why were they made? It really makes a noticeable difference. As long as this problem is not addressed and fixed bud Walton will never be as exciting as it used to even if we're consistently a top 25 team year after year

fanofthehog

collins4heisman

And this is not me just nit picking trying to be negative. This is a legitimate problem that I'm brainstorming solutions for. Any other ideas and feedback would be great. Thanks

collins4heisman

In wonder if we started a petition and got enough people to sign it if Jeff long would have to make a change. I really can't think of any explanation that reasonably justifies the way they have it set up now

Ham Sandwich

Quote from: collins4heisman on February 20, 2015, 12:59:42 pm
Only as long as they keep electronically playing music over the PA speaker system during timeouts instead of the band controlling the crowd. It's such a buzz kill and literally kills the energy and momentum. It happens every game now, we'll get on a run and the opposing team will call timeout because the crowd starts to become a factor- but instead of segueing directly into an exciting pumped up band song like William tell overture (or something similar like they used to) now they just play some stupid song over the speakers and the crowd just looks perplexed and sits down and goes back to being quiet. Who made these changes and why were they made? It really makes a noticeable difference. As long as this problem is not addressed and fixed bud Walton will never be as exciting as it used to even if we're consistently a top 25 team year after year

Bc the people in charge of that stuff are out of touch with what we've done in the past.

They really have made it like an NBA atmosphere. Why?

Why don't we make the atmosphere more appropriate for the students? That's what I don't get.

Everything doesn't have to be about making a damn buck all of the time. Move the older crowd from the front of the arena and that's a start.

People in La z boys, etc. It's a joke.

Hollywood_HOGan45

I agree.
Ive been going to games there since 1995 and its just maddening how stale the atmosphere is compared to what it used to be.

Alot of that is because of the overall success of the program. We have had very very very little success. Zero s16 appearances since 1996 and only three NCAAT appearances since Nolan left in 02.
I would have thought since we FINALLY have a good team BWA would be rocking again. Not so much.
My biggest complaint is the lack of involvement of the band. The band never has any good routines on the basketball floor any longer. They play piped in music during the starting lineup.

The fans want to call the hogs, clap to the fight song, and dance to william tell. Not hear some ridiculous NBA stadium music piped in like everybody else does.

PorkRinds

Quote from: collins4heisman on February 20, 2015, 01:07:34 pm
In wonder if we started a petition and got enough people to sign it if Jeff long would have to make a change. I really can't think of any explanation that reasonably justifies the way they have it set up now

He doesn't HAVE to make a chance for any reason.  Much less a petition.

fred ziffel

Agree. Recorded music is generally a bad idea at any college sporting event unless the band is that bad.
"Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs."

collins4heisman

Quote from: Ham Sandwich on February 20, 2015, 01:07:39 pm
Bc the people in charge of that stuff are out of touch with what we've done in the past.

They really have made it like an NBA atmosphere. Why?

Why don't we make the atmosphere more appropriate for the students? That's what I don't get.

Everything doesn't have to be about making a damn buck all of the time. Move the older crowd from the front of the arena and that's a start.

People in La z boys, etc. It's a joke.
I know and what's crazy is that they are so out of touch they don't even realize they would be making more money of they did it the other way. The more the crowd is involved the more exciting the games are. The more exciting the games the more fans will come. It's a win win for everybody. Just amazing they could be that out of touch

collins4heisman

1 hog n eldo

Fire up that loud another round of shots! Turn down for what!!! I would rather hear the band.

MikePiazza

I explained this in a different thread, but I will also explain it here.

Since 1996, the program hasn't been relevant. Once the PTB fired Nolan in 2002, that alienated a healthy portion of the fan base that may have never come back, not even now that Mike is back.

As for students, they grew up on Razorback basketball led by Stan Heath and John Pelphrey. Not Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson. They don't know what a ranked Razorback team looks like, because the Hogs went 14 years only (2000 to 2014) being ranked in the AP Top 25 twice.

Arkansas hasn't won a SEC Tournament or NCAA Tournament game since 2008. This year's freshman class at the UA was in sixth grade the last time the Hogs saw their name on the screen on Selection Sunday.

They don't know what 20,000 looks like at Bud Walton Arena because they've never experienced that. They have experienced Arkansas losing to East Tennessee State and South Alabama at Bud Walton Arena in front of 5,000, though.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

BadHog

Hit Long's twitter account with suggestions. Can't hurt.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Ham Sandwich

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 20, 2015, 01:16:29 pm

Since 1996, the program hasn't been relevant. Once the PTB fired Nolan in 2002, that alienated a healthy portion of the fan base that may have never come back, not even now that Mike is back.

As for students, they grew up on Razorback basketball led by Stan Heath and John Pelphrey. Not Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson. They don't know what a ranked Razorback team looks like, because the Hogs went 14 years only (2000 to 2014) being ranked in the AP Top 25 twice.

Arkansas hasn't won a SEC Tournament or NCAA Tournament game since 2008. This year's freshman class at the UA was in sixth grade the last time the Hogs saw their name on the screen on Selection Sunday.

They don't know what 20,000 looks like at Bud Walton Arena because they've never experienced that. They have experienced Arkansas losing to East Tennessee State and South Alabama at Bud Walton Arena in front of 5,000, though.

What in the world does that have to do with making the atmosphere at the games better?

It has nothing to do with it.

People go to these games now to be entertained, especially early in the season. It's all about being entertained and not getting your team jacked up for some reason.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: collins4heisman on February 20, 2015, 01:07:34 pm

Just observe the pre-game atmosphere from year's past. The band actually did routines to get the crowd involoved more. There were some years where the band would enter the floor from the concourse area. It was a very neat deal. You knew Arkansas basketball was about 20 minutes away from giving some team 40 minutes of hell when the band entered the floor and blasted the fight song.  A HUUUUUUGE part of what made the barn and BWA special is the hogwild band. The HWB participation has tapered off severely.

No piped in music during the starting lineups. No more of that. Fight song or william tell, hog calling, swing march, etc etc....

collins4heisman

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 20, 2015, 01:16:29 pm

ok but what does that have to do with the band playing less and the people in charge playing terrible music over the speakers instead? You don't have to have a good team to do fix this problem

GoHogs1091

It could be if they did what Tennessee did, and that is to make one side on the upper deck nothing but luxury suites. 

Hoggish1

So, who's responsible for such crowd killing decisions?!

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 20, 2015, 01:23:24 pm
It could be if they did what Tennessee did, and that is to make one side on the upper deck nothing but luxury suites. 

I don't know how it is today, but unlike football and baseball with waiting lists for a suite, you could get one in basketball a few years ago.

phadedhawg

I miss the band being a feature of gameday.  Now they seem an afterthought. 

I wonder how the students who are in the band feel about it.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 20, 2015, 01:10:27 pm
I agree.
Ive been going to games there since 1995 and its just maddening how stale the atmosphere is compared to what it used to be.

Sounds like a corporate $-making thing.  Pepsi, Sodexo, canned music, pettit Jean meats, naming rights.  That stupid song/chant I first head at allbarn that now is heard everywhere...

Isn't there anything that's authentic anymore?

1 hog n eldo

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 20, 2015, 01:25:24 pm
So, who's responsible for such crowd killing decisions?!
It seems like it is the culture as a whole. We are following the crowd. I have noticed it even at high school games more rap music and less band. Not just a razorback thing.

MikePiazza

Fans in seats make the atmosphere.

You can play all the annoying music before, during, and after the game you want, but if there's 18,000 or more in there during the game, it's going to be loud and intimidating and hard for the opponent to play well with the style the Hogs employ.

The one time this year that it was loud and intense like it should be, the Hogs lost, and so a good portion of fans said, "I'm not going to another game," as evidenced by crowds since then other than Mississippi State.

I agree that William Tell and the fight song and NFL Today and Jim Robken, all that stuff was great and got fans into it. But when all that stuff was popular, there was also 18,000-20,000 people in the arena, and in Barnhill, there was 9,000-9,500 every night.

Figure out a way to get 18,000-plus in BWA for every single game, and the exciting factor will take care of itself, even if there's a DJ and "piped-in music" during timeouts.

Ham Sandwich

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 20, 2015, 01:32:10 pm
Fans in seats make the atmosphere.

You can play all the annoying music before, during, and after the game you want, but if there's 18,000 or more in there during the game, it's going to be loud and intimidating and hard for the opponent to play well with the style the Hogs employ.

The one time this year that it was loud and intense like it should be, the Hogs lost, and so a good portion of fans said, "I'm not going to another game," as evidenced by crowds since then other than Mississippi State.

I agree that William Tell and the fight song and NFL Today and Jim Robken, all that stuff was great and got fans into it. But when all that stuff was popular, there was also 18,000-20,000 people in the arena, and in Barnhill, there was 9,000-9,500 every night.

Figure out a way to get 18,000-plus in BWA for every single game, and the exciting factor will take care of itself, even if there's a DJ and "piped-in music" during timeouts.

Sorry but that's stupid if you really don't think the people in charge of the atmosphere at Bud Walton couldn't do anything to change it.

You get the right guy and he can make the changes needed.

cityhog

I disagree. I like the fresh music. Band is lame and have been playing the same stuff for 25+ years. Now I will admit the production coordination is horrible.

collins4heisman

Quote from: cityhog on February 20, 2015, 01:43:24 pm
I disagree. I like the fresh music. Band is lame and have been playing the same stuff for 25+ years. Now I will admit the production coordination is horrible.
just because you might like it doesn't mean it's better for everyone. You really think the majority of fans agree with you? It's not even up for debate

WxHog

I can understand the ads for making money but I don't see the reason for piped in music.  As Tim Brando said yesterday on Bo's show, we need to stop trying to marry college basketball with the NBA.  Keep college basketball unique and that includes the atmosphere.

ricepig

Quote from: collins4heisman on February 20, 2015, 01:47:00 pm
just because you might like it doesn't mean it's better for everyone. You really think the majority of fans agree with you? It's not even up for debate

How many are complaining? When it sucked at RRS there was lots of twitter activity to those in charge, I've yet to see a tweet on this.

cityhog

Quote from: collins4heisman on February 20, 2015, 01:47:00 pm

I'm 47 by the way. Not some young poster. Perhaps I'm easily bored hearing the same song I heard when I was in grad school 25 years ago. My god. The stuff we hang on to in the name of tradition is truly mind numbing at times. Keep the hog call. Keep the fight song and alma mater. Everything else can go away imho. And the entertainment should be for the students not the old farts like me. Here's a novel idea. Ask the students what they want.

Razorhogger

It's all about the money.  TV commercials during timeouts.......Dropping coupons attached to parachutes from the rafters........30 seconds of friggin Aaron Peters telling us to watch Razorback Nation killing the crowd's attention and participation........some dude trying to make a couple layups and free throws instead of the hogwild band running onto the floor keeping us engaged.  The almighty dollar is what rules the atmosphere and the people in charge are so dang money hungry they don't care.  I boo every time the Razorback Nation promo comes on and people look at me weird.  I am booing because I want to cheer and yell with the band and crowd.  I get an email from the UofA at the end of the season since I am a season ticket holder asking about the atmosphere and how to improve the overall situation.  I do not hold back.  I wish everyone would boo when we have to watch commercials to send a message.......and I wish we would all blow up Long's twitter account.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: WxHog on February 20, 2015, 01:47:23 pm
I can understand the ads for making money but I don't see the reason for piped in music.  As Tim Brando said yesterday on Bo's show, we need to stop trying to marry college basketball with the NBA.  Keep college basketball unique and that includes the atmosphere.

The regular season atmospheres are pretty much the only thing College Hoops has on the NBA outside of March Madness.

Razorhogger

Also......for the love of all that is holy give the students more floor space.  Even if it is just giving them the other section behind the goal.  Every night on TV you see in every other gym the students have more floor coverage and/or are behind the goal disrupting the free throw shooters. 

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: phadedhawg on February 20, 2015, 01:27:15 pm
I miss the band being a feature of gameday.  Now they seem an afterthought. 

I wonder how the students who are in the band feel about it.

The Hogwild Band was one of the many reasons I enjoyed going to basketball games when they were apart of the game atmosphere.

I still love going to see hawgball espcially since it appears we are going again but it would be nice to see the band more involved with the game instead of canned music.

HF#1

200,000 folks up there and we can't put 19k in BWA a couple times a week during the fall....

Still think our student section is one of the weakest in college hoops.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

MikePiazza

Quote from: Ham Sandwich on February 20, 2015, 01:43:14 pm
Sorry but that's stupid if you really don't think the people in charge of the atmosphere at Bud Walton couldn't do anything to change it.

Nothing's going to get changed. Everything is corporate now. Have you been asleep for the last ten years? They're not just going to say 'hey let's go back to how things were in 1994 and 1995 because some fans on Hogville and Twitter say we should.'

Even if you get "the right guy" it's not going to get changed.

Hogimus Prime

Blame IMG.  I think they are the ones that do the gameday stuff.

MikePiazza

I'm coming from the background of I don't like these changes either, but they're the reality of the situation.

Only way to combat it is having big crowds making lots of noise. When all that shows up to SEC games is 10-12K, then it becomes a lot more noticeable.

Rawker

Quote from: Ham Sandwich on February 20, 2015, 01:43:14 pm

oKAY, oKAY....jeez already....I'll do it.  But I want free nachos and beer.

hobhog

The people who coordinate the music don't go to Hog games. Probably never have.

WarPig88

High school games do the same thing now. Canned music during timeouts, etc.

The current crop of students up there would think that the old way of doing things is weird if they reverted back to it, though I am all for it.

It's a video game mentality. Same thing that drives one and done garbage. The college game has abandoned it's roots to be more like the NBA. College football is still strong because it isn't like the NFL.

College basketball should work harder to differentiate itself from the NBA as well.

Thepigdoctor

HF#1

I do not think the problem has anything to do with music.  The problem lies in the placement of students and the number of students.

Sorry but our student section sucks and we have made it clear we'd rather put the wine and cheesers up front rather than the students.

Other than those two things, it's the fact that people in general don't give a sh*t about Arkansas Basketball.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Atlhogfan1

"corporate", "clean", "comfortable" is how describe some of the newer venues and atmospheres -  Not all bad and great for revenue. 

I like how OM and AU designed their new arenas.  Kind of a Camden Yards type thinking.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

wildturkey8

If things stay on the present trajectory, the Bud will come back.

MikePiazza

Quote from: HF#1 on February 20, 2015, 02:53:06 pm
I do not think the problem has anything to do with music.  The problem lies in the placement of students and the number of students.

Sorry but our student section sucks
and we have made it clear we'd rather put the wine and cheesers up front rather than the students.

Other than those two things, it's the fact that people in general don't give a sh*t about Arkansas Basketball.

The students are not the problem, I can guarantee you that.

If your second bolded statement were true, then Jump Ball wouldn't exist.

opineonswine

Quote from: HF#1 on February 20, 2015, 02:53:06 pm

Sorry but our student section sucks and we have made it clear we'd rather put the wine and cheesers up front rather than the students.

Dumbest post of the month.

HF#1

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 20, 2015, 02:59:09 pm
The students are not the problem, I can guarantee you that.

If your second bolded statement were true, then Jump Ball wouldn't exist.

haha Jump Ball is a small small small sector of the fan base. 

We were 20-5, about to honor arguably the greatest Razorback of all time, and only drew 12.5k 

You serious? 

wildturkey8

Quote from: HF#1 on February 20, 2015, 03:00:47 pm
haha Jump Ball is a small small small sector of the fan base. 
So is all of Hogville but it is a significant sample of the fan base and Yes, Most Razorback fans do care very much about basketball.

HF#1

Quote from: wildturkey8 on February 20, 2015, 03:03:31 pm
So is all of Hogville but it is a significant sample of the fan base and Yes, Most Razorback fans do care very much about basketball.

They don't show up though.  There's no excuse to not show up this season.  We are good.