Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why The Navy Goat?

Started by Hogfaniam, December 13, 2014, 08:40:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogfaniam

"Pacing the sidelines at the weekend's Army-Navy game will be the U.S. Naval Academy's famous goat mascot, Bill XXXIII. At first blush, a goat seems to be an unusual mascot for the Navy as opposed to something fiercer and maritime — like a shark or barracuda — but goats have a long history with sailors that led to their revered position at USNA."

http://news.usni.org/2014/12/12/brief-illustrated-history-navy-goat#more-10360

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

DeltaBoy

The Goat is a beloved Mascot.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

I've wondered about that with the Tar Hills moreso................

BUT if you really have to wonder about a mascot try the rebel black bears.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 16, 2014, 01:46:04 pm
I've wondered about that with the Tar Hills moreso................

BUT if you really have to wonder about a mascot try the rebel black bears.

Just FYI, Tar Heels is a nickname that began during the Civil War.  A North Carolina regiment was renowned to be so tough to force back, that it was like their "heels were stuck in tar."  The regiment was known as the Tar Heels.

Here's what UNC has to say about it: 

http://www.unc.edu/about/history-and-traditions/whats-a-tar-heel/
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Inhogswetrust

December 17, 2014, 11:00:04 am #4 Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 01:32:07 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: The Chief on December 16, 2014, 01:59:58 pm
Just FYI, Tar Heels is a nickname that began during the Civil War.  A North Carolina regiment was renowned to be so tough to force back, that it was like their "heels were stuck in tar."  The regiment was known as the Tar Heels.

Here's what UNC has to say about it: 

http://www.unc.edu/about/history-and-traditions/whats-a-tar-heel/

I knew the Tar Heels story but I didn't know about why a Ram (goat) mascot until I looked it up after this thread started. It was a nickname for one of their guys a long time ago.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi