Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When all is said and done, the one overriding factor in the Hogs/Horns relationship... (Wait 'til '2

Started by JIHawg, December 16, 2014, 01:47:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

We left the SWC first.  We left the Horns and the rest of them high and dry.  Our departure signaled the demise of the SWC.  We wound up in the ultimate college sports conference, Texas wound up in a mess.

Whatever else has happened, whatever attitude they want to pretend to have, it all pales in comparison to this one overriding decision.

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: JIHawg on December 16, 2014, 01:47:55 pm
We left the SWC first.  We left the Horns and the rest of them high and dry.  Our departure signaled the demise of the SWC.  We wound up in the ultimate college sports conference, Texas wound up in a mess.

Whatever else has happened, whatever attitude they want to pretend to have, it all pales in comparison to this one overriding decision.

We shoved it where the sun don't shine-sideways.

On the performance since we came to the SEC (in football), I didn't really know what we were getting into, but on the decision to leave the SWC, I was never happier. If only Texas would complete their implosion with their greed ruining the Big XII. I don't hate Texas the state, but I have a warm place in my heart for the feelings I get when UT loses.
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Agree with both of the above....

Texas bite..! Texas bite..! Texas jump up and bite my...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

code red

I think...the proximity of Dallas.  Its a city of potpourri Arkansas and Texas fans a like.  And.....both are excepted with open arms.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: code red on December 16, 2014, 02:00:43 pm
I think...the proximity of Dallas.  Its a city of potpourri Arkansas and Texas fans a like.  And.....both are excepted with open arms.

I think both may be excepted, but that usually comes at the point of a gun; not with open arms... Just accept it... ;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

DeltaBoy

For me it is them beating us in the great shootout.  My Hate for UT will never dim or die.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

26.2Hog

Absolutely, and as Hootie would say, boy we got 'em good.

Torqued pork

Coach Broyles and Darrell Royal were great friends and real gentlemen. There was a great deal of respect between the two and it carried over into the athletic departments.

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Hoggie17

Texas is just another team to beat, the hate I once had for them has faded over time.  When we were first in the in SEC I was still keeping up with the old SWC schools, but not any more, that's all in my rear view mirror.

nchogg

I always felt the  southwest conference was a Texas conference. I was very happy to see us join the southeast conference. I can still remember some of the songs that were played on UT game days. One thing has not changed. I want us to beat them every time we play. Go Hogs, take them by their horns!

Inhogswetrust

I never thought of it that way. Good post!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MiHogsMi

I have been to every Texas game in Fayetteville since I can remember so I know the disdain for the Longhorns.

However, the "moral victory" mentality by so many fans these days leaves me shaking my head.

If it's all the same to you, I'd say their 2005 national championship kinda trumps us leaving the SWC. 

Let's just beat the some-beeches. :razorback:
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

Torqued pork

Quote from: Hoggie17 on December 16, 2014, 03:27:51 pm
Texas is just another team to beat, the hate I once had for them has faded over time.  When we were first the in SEC I was still keeping up with the old SWC schools, but not any more, that's all in my rear view mirror.

I feel the same way. They only matter because they're next.

Hogarusa

I don't think Texas cares.  They rule their conference and make more money than everyone else in the country.  And they have won a national title in the past 10 years. 
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

TexHog188

I hate the whornes but the $110M of football revenue per year is quite the consolation prize for us leaving them high and dry.  I'm sure they're okay with us leaving.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

johnsonswitch

I agree with OP.

I'm not in the media, but I was actually at the press conference when Broyles announced we were joining the SEC. I said to my boss "What?, no more games with Texas? Well, I guess we'll get to play Alabama every year. Maybe that will make up for it." It didn't, but I still agree with the OP regardless. I never did like being in a league with all Texas teams. It was the right move and everybody knows it.

Regarding the bitterness of the rivalry: My band was once booked to play a show in Midland, TX. We showed up and a few extremely arrogant Texans with big huge cowboy hats came out to give us a hard time. They said "we heard there's some Arkies out here." I laughed and said "yep", but when I looked in their eyes I saw that they were dead serious, and they were wearing guns! Midland, TX is one of the dirty armpits of America, to be avoided at all costs.

The arrogance of Texas fans cannot be matched. And some of them still can't stand Arkansas.

Baylor should be sending Arkansas thank you letters every year. If we hadn't joined the SEC they'd be in the AAC or Conference USA.

GolfnHog

Quote from: johnsonswitch on December 16, 2014, 06:23:07 pm

Regarding the bitterness of the rivalry: My band was once booked to play a show in Midland, TX. We showed up and a few extremely arrogant Texans with big huge cowboy hats came out to give us a hard time. They said "we heard there's some Arkies out here." I laughed and said "yep", but when I looked in their eyes I saw that they were dead serious, and they were wearing guns! Midland, TX is one of the dirty armpits of America, to be avoided at all costs.

I guess it's all about perspective but at one time Midland had more millionaires per capita than any other place in the US. I spent several years out there in the lates 80's and I was known to be from AR and never had any problems. Could be I carried a gun as well.  8)
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

hawg IQ

I always felt one of the reason we left SWC was because of bias officiating, but washing my mouth out with soap, SEC is worse still.
    In a time when it looks like everything wrong with our country and its upside down and backward. WE live in a place where we can't fly USA flag in every school, we can't say Jesus, we can't pray, we can't call Christmas, Christmas.
  where looting and pillaging is alright because of bad police and grand jury, a place we where wrong is right and right is wrong, well there is the SEC officiating and replay folks practicing the same also..oh well just another rant I guess.
go hogs go !

jswineberiaskirk

Quote from: GolfnHog on December 16, 2014, 07:21:15 pm
I guess it's all about perspective but at one time Midland had more millionaires per capita than any other place in the US. I spent several years out there in the lates 80's and I was known to be from AR and never had any problems. Could be I carried a gun as well.  8)

When I was in HS in the 70's, class of 79, the same was true of Batesville - the part about more millionaires per capita anyway.

arlhog

I will be a hog fan until the day I die, but you'd be a fool not to trade places with the horns.  Even if things aren't that great right now you know they will turn around.  Look at the history  they have won about 3 1/2 times to our 1 in our history of head to head.  They have more national championships.  They have more money than they know what to do with.  They are the biggest fish in the biggest pond and everybody wants a piece of them.  They have more d1 recruits to choose from than any other state and they normally get first shot at them.  A&M won't get them forever, trust me.  Espn pays them a gazillion dollars.   Yea it must suck to be them.  I hope the hogs kick their butts up and down the field,  but it ain't bad to be a long horn  even as much as i hate them. 

rlamb

Partly causing th demise of the SWC with us leaving is at least partly true. I always thought Zero U should have lured into the SWC. Now since we've joined the mighty SEC,how many overall football championships do we have after 23 seasons there==0.
At least we had 13 true SWC titles and another one dethroned because of a questionable player in 33' I think? That's 1 title on the average every 5 years or so since we were in the SWC from 1933 or so thru 1991.

I'd rather be e big duck in a mid sized pond than a perinneal mid pack team like we are in Paul Finebaum's SEC. At least we might have pulled some Baylor's and TCU's and gone 12-0 or 11-1 and have been in the National Title conversation every few years or so had we stayed in the SWC abd helped keep it afloat.

You put Bama, Tenner, GaGa all together and they don't budge the pot of hatred I have for the Wrhorns!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hawg IQ on December 16, 2014, 09:07:58 pm
I always felt one of the reason we left SWC was because of bias officiating, but washing my mouth out with soap, SEC is worse still.
    In a time when it looks like everything wrong with our country and its upside down and backward. WE live in a place where we can't fly USA flag in every school, we can't say Jesus, we can't pray, we can't call Christmas, Christmas.
  where looting and pillaging is alright because of bad police and grand jury, a place we where wrong is right and right is wrong, well there is the SEC officiating and replay folks practicing the same also..oh well just another rant I guess.

Yes we get shafted by more teams now days.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rlamb on December 17, 2014, 02:18:49 am
Partly causing th demise of the SWC with us leaving is at least partly true. I always thought Zero U should have lured into the SWC. Now since we've joined the mighty SEC,how many overall football championships do we have after 23 seasons there==0.
At least we had 13 true SWC titles and another one dethroned because of a questionable player in 33' I think? That's 1 title on the average every 5 years or so since we were in the SWC from 1933 or so thru 1991.

I'd rather be e big duck in a mid sized pond than a perinneal mid pack team like we are in Paul Finebaum's SEC. At least we might have pulled some Baylor's and TCU's and gone 12-0 or 11-1 and have been in the National Title conversation every few years or so had we stayed in the SWC abd helped keep it afloat.

You put Bama, Tenner, GaGa all together and they don't budge the pot of hatred I have for the Wrhorns!

Zero U was in the SWC asa charter member but left. Then they became a part of the Big8. Screw them and their cheating mascot moniker. IF you want a team to cheer for in the little pond twelve go ahead you can have them.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi