Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Otis Kirk states that he heard that Venables is in fact coming to Arkansas as DC

Started by DuckTalesLOL, December 05, 2017, 05:30:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ChitownHawg

Quote from: RazorWhacker on December 08, 2017, 09:45:08 pm
LOL. You're funny. You can't have logic. You're a girl!

Yeah my wife didn't laugh either.

I'll just go to bed now.

Going on 35 years anniversary - you have to learn some jokes are not worth it. It is a risk-to-reward calculation.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

HotlantaHog

Venables: ``He basically gave us his word that he is not going to leave. He loves Clemson. His kids love it. He loves the area. He knows when he goes home (back to Clemson from Florida) he is going back to the same coaching staff. He just loves not having those type of worries." https://www.tigernet.com/update/recruiting/Venables-message-about-his-future-to-4-star-commit-28967?ref=front

The Boar War

Quote from: HotlantaHog on December 11, 2017, 08:28:59 am
Venables: ``He basically gave us his word that he is not going to leave. He loves Clemson. His kids love it. He loves the area. He knows when he goes home (back to Clemson from Florida) he is going back to the same coaching staff. He just loves not having those type of worries." https://www.tigernet.com/update/recruiting/Venables-message-about-his-future-to-4-star-commit-28967?ref=front

I don't think Venables is coming but how do you "basically" give someone your word?

jgphillips3

Quote from: The Boar War on December 11, 2017, 08:35:05 am
I don't think Venables is coming but how do you "basically" give someone your word?

How can a coach ever say "I will be there" with all the uncertainties in coaching?  No coach can ever say with certainty that they will be there, much less that they will be there all four to five years of the kids career.  What if Saban retires and takes Bama?  Does Venables elevate to head coach, go with Dabo or go somewhere else?  It would seem the most that they can ever say is that they are really happy where they are and have not taken another job...yet.

hawgon

I don't think Venables comes, but I don't think it would be a bad career move nor do
I think he cares much.  His reputation is made.  If he comes to Arkansas and improves the defense greatly, it is only enhanced.  If it doesn't work, unless the results are disastrous like we've had the last few years, his reputation isn't damaged.

He is still young.  He may have lots of personal reasons for wanting to come here.  It might be in twenty years that we look back and see that his reputation ended up being that of a defensive hired gun of a guy who changed programs four or five times over his career looking for new challenges and so on and so forth.

I don't know.   But I don't think it is quite as far fetched as some may think.

ElDawgHawg

Quote from: Dannyluvssonic on December 05, 2017, 05:34:19 pm
The media is putting this out there to try to spin this turd.  Venables isn't leaving Clemson to coach with this loser.

Your life must really suck!
#WPS

ArkansasI

I don't understand why Venables hasn't taken a head coaching job.  He's obviously an excellent DC - a little surprised he hasn't captained his own ship yet.

Continued good luck to him at Clemson.  I'm sure Chad will find a man that wants the Arkansas DC job.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: ArkansasI on December 11, 2017, 10:15:25 am
I don't understand why Venables hasn't taken a head coaching job.  He's obviously an excellent DC - a little surprised he hasn't captained his own ship yet.

Continued good luck to him at Clemson.  I'm sure Chad will find a man that wants the Arkansas DC job.

I know Venables has interviewed and his name always come up.  He was my first choice.  None of us will ever know why he's still a Coordinator.  He may be waiting for the right job to open, or he may be one of those guys like Bud Foster at VT that makes tremendous living and does an amazing job while not having to deal with the issues that an HC does.  Hopefully in a few weeks he'll be in Fayetteville and someone can ask him!
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

GuvHog

Quote from: hawgon on December 11, 2017, 08:44:53 am
I don’t think Venables comes, but I don’t think it would be a bad career move nor do
I think he cares much.  His reputation is made.  If he comes to Arkansas and improves the defense greatly, it is only enhanced.  If it doesn’t work, unless the results are disastrous like we’ve had the last few years, his reputation isn’t damaged.

He is still young.  He may have lots of personal reasons for wanting to come here.  It might be in twenty years that we look back and see that his reputation ended up being that of a defensive hired gun of a guy who changed programs four or five times over his career looking for new challenges and so on and so forth.

I don’t know.   But I don’t think it is quite as far fetched as some may think.

Agreed, it isn't far fetched. If Venables comes to Arkansas, the money will only be a small part of the reason. The biggest reason would be that he wants to get back closer to his parents and family.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ArkansasI

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on December 11, 2017, 10:18:49 am
I know Venables has interviewed and his name always come up.  He was my first choice.  None of us will ever know why he’s still a Coordinator.  He may be waiting for the right job to open, or he may be one of those guys like Bud Foster at VT that makes tremendous living and does an amazing job while not having to deal with the issues that an HC does.  Hopefully in a few weeks he’ll be in Fayetteville and someone can ask him!

Good morning Fan,

It's good to have you back on the board.

It's hard for me to watch the crazy money being thrown around college football these days.  To see a guy that seems able to double (or more) his already huge salary, but unwilling to act...  Perhaps he has found his legacy as a great DC - Good for him!  I envy that he may have found his calling.

Of course, I'll always believe that most of these guys know their jobs.  How complicated can defense be - especially after you've been coaching for X number of years?  Would Brent be as accomplished had he not coached with Bob Stoops and Dabo Swinney?  We may never know...

One thing I do know, if Chad Morris is able to win a conference championship at Arkansas, he will be the first to do so since we joined the SEC.  I think Chad gives us that opportunity - and I'm excited to learn who is going to run his defense for him.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: GuvHog on December 11, 2017, 10:20:18 am
Agreed, it isn't far fetched. If Venables comes to Arkansas, the money will only be a small part of the reason. The biggest reason would be that he wants to get back closer to his parents and family.

Think it was stated earier in the thread that his parents have passed.

A theory I heard today (not sure I agree) was that he's getting closer to KState as the heir apparent. Of course everyone thinks that Snyder Jr. will be the next guy there, so who knows?
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

OkieBack

Quote from: GuvHog on December 11, 2017, 10:20:18 am

If Venables would entertain coming back this way and coach in Fayetteville then I would suspect that it would be because (A) he wants to be closer to family, (B) he loved coaching with Morris, (C) he could double his salary or possibly more, (D) he is happy being a DC and not HC, and (E) for reasons unknown he would not want to remain at Clemson. 

I would say Arkansas has a 20% chance to bring him to town but hey, stranger things have happened.  But whomever Morris hires as DC though has to have had ranked defenses in the top 20 at some point over the last 5-10 years.  That is, IF Morris is going to be able to make a run at an SEC Title.  I'm just glad he is talking about titles instead of the old "shucks, darn we will see what we can do" mentality.  Arkansas is a great school with great facilities and the football team CAN be a great program.

idochog

Give this a thought.....

Last 2 hires in the SEC were SEC defensive coordinators.  The year before that Muschamp was hired both as Florida and South Carolinas coach as a previous DC

Maybe Venables sees his path to a head coaching job of any substance is as DC of a SEC school
I love Jesus!

OkieBack

Quote from: idochog on December 11, 2017, 01:21:31 pm
Give this a thought.....

Last 2 hires in the SEC were SEC defensive coordinators.  The year before that Muschamp was hired both as Florida and South Carolinas coach as a previous DC

Maybe Venables sees his path to a head coaching job of any substance is as DC of a SEC school

There are allot of questions surrounding Venables that only he can answer.  Once Clemson gets through the playoffs I think we will see what he really wants to do.  But I feel if Morris is keeping quiet on the DC front, and if Venables is keeping quiet preparing for the playoffs then that is a good sign that may be there have been substantive talks between the two.

But if Venables is NOT in the picture at all then I would suspect Morris will name his DC before too much longer.

GuvHog

Quote from: HenduHog on December 11, 2017, 01:14:26 pm
Think it was stated earier in the thread that his parents have passed.

A theory I heard today (not sure I agree) was that he's getting closer to KState as the heir apparent. Of course everyone thinks that Snyder Jr. will be the next guy there, so who knows?

The guy is only 46. That's awfully young to have lost both Parents. I'm not sure I buy that.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: GuvHog on December 11, 2017, 01:53:50 pm
The guy is only 46. That's awfully young to have lost both Parents. I'm not sure I buy that.

That would put his parents at 66 if he was the first child or 76 to 86 if he was the baby. That's if they were 20 when he was birthed
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

OkieBack

Not sure about his parents.  He was raised in Kansas and the last I knew he had siblings living in the area so that may be one of the factors to get back to the Midwest.  But you would think if Snyder Jr. wasn't in the picture that Kansas State might be where Brent wants to end up, but who knows.  I just hope he has Arkansas on the map for at least a few years stint.  I say if Arkansas makes the money happen, then bring on the V.

TexArkHogFan

Welcome to the real world.  My dad got killed in an auto accident when I was four years old. He was 33 years old.     My mother died from cancer when I was sixteen.  She was 45 years old.  Joined the Navy at 17.  Life goes on.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

GuvHog

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on December 13, 2017, 01:49:41 pm
  Welcome to the real world.  My dad got killed in an auto accident when I was four years old. He was 33 years old.     My mother died from cancer when I was sixteen.  She was 45 years old.  Joined the Navy at 17.  Life goes on.

I was 34 when my dad died in 1990 and my mom died in April of this year.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I'm 46 and child #5. My parents were both 28 yrs old when I was born. I still have my dad, but my best friend in elementary school had parents in their 60's when we were 10. He was a surprise. Matter of fact his nephew was two years older than us...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: SlickWilly on December 05, 2017, 05:31:44 pm
Otis Kirk is less credible than Wally.

The Venables rumor is just to make the underwhelming Morris hire seem exciting.
Really?

Here is an old live chat from 1999 with Otis Kirk:

Aug 24th Chat with Otis Kirk
By: Otis
Date: 08/24/1999
This is an archive of the Chat on the Hawgs Illustrated Chat room with Otis Kirks on Aug. 24, 1999 from 9:00AM to about 9:45PM

Chat with Otis Kirks on 8/24/99

Chat joined in progress.....

Ewart: We are waiting on Otis Kirk, I am told that he's going to be running a few minutes late, so everyone hang on.
otis has entered the chat room
Ewart: Hey Otis.
otis: Hey. I was surfing around, and my name is all over the internet, I figured I need to show up for this, and so here I am.
Ewart: Your popularity is spreading.
otis: I guess so.
ElDoHog: Do we need a change in assitant coaches for better recruiting?
otis: Are you asking me?
ElDoHog: Yea.
otis: How the hell would I know that?
LRHOG: For the last few years Brad Dunn has been the subject of a great deal of criticism/rumors regarding the programs troubles. Are they deserved?
otis: All I know is Danny Dunn. I never met Brad. I heard that Brad cut three fingers off in a saw mill a few years ago and is drawing workers' comp. Danny said Brad's wife wasn't happy about the scheduled payments. That's all I know. You'll have to ask him.
LRHOG:LOL!
otis denied entry. Name in Use!
otis: what's so funny about that?
ElDoHog: How good is Joe johnson?
otis: He's good. He's just not going to be as good as Leon will ever be, that's for sure, but he is good. Of course, the reason why Leon is where he is at today, in monster trucks, is because of vo-tech, which Joe didn't have the luxury of getting.
LRHOG: Is Arkansas in on any centers of signifigant talent?
otis: Wherever Mark Martin is from, probably, is a good area of that part of the country, as any. But, as far as that being the center of anything over there, I don't know. I guess I'd have to go visit.
ElDoHog: Do you think we'll see the most up tempo team Nolan has ever had this year?
otis: I guess that depends on who his pit crew chief is this year. Not many of them have really stayed with Nolan Hill's team, after that Charlotte crash.
LRHOG: Are Gomez, Lane, and Baker good enough to hold down the fort inside enough to get to the NCAA Tourney?
otis: I have never heard of them. I know a Chad Lane. Chad is about four hands high, and, if he had any kids playing basketball, other than playing in a midget's league, that would be a sight.
ElDoHog: ROTFLMAO!
LRHOG: Thanks Otis, gotta go!
otis: Later
Ewart: Any one having problems with the server removing you, (timed out) I will address this issue with Rivalnet to get this issue resolved, it seems that a lot of people are geing kicked off by our server. This happens wher the limit for inactivity is reached. The limit for activity must be set very low, something like 10-15 mins. I'll get that changed
DLW: What's your feelings about Rice? Is he the best prospect that we will actually have a decent chance to sign this year?
otis: By we, are you talking about Motorola's Winston team?
DLW: What?
otis: That's what I am asking you?
DLW: I have no idea what you are talking about Otis.
otis: That's obvious.
DLW has left
klp: Have any other in-home visits been set up?
otis: In-home visits?
klp: Yea.
otis: What the hell are you bringing that up for?
klp: What, I have no idea...
otis: I don't even have the kids anymore. You can send all the social workers you want out to the house. Go talk to Brenda. She's got the kids, now. It's in the lawyer's papers.
HOGFAN1: otis, how do we subscribe to your newsletter?
otis: My newsletter! Are you crazy? I have to read my neighbors newspaper before he wakes up. Do I have a newsletter. What kind of crazy place is this?
HOGFAN1: Are you Otis Kirk, the reporter and football recruiting guru?
otis: K-I-R-K-S.
HOFAN1: I think we have a problem, Tom.
OTIS has entered the chat room
OTIS: Hello.
otis: hey.
Ewart: Hold on a minute, Otis.
OTIS: Okay.
otis: alright.
Ewart: No, I'm talking about the real Otis Kirk
otis: huh?
Ewart: otis has been kicked from the chat room
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: OkieBack on December 11, 2017, 01:29:46 pm
There are allot of questions surrounding Venables that only he can answer.  Once Clemson gets through the playoffs I think we will see what he really wants to do.  But I feel if Morris is keeping quiet on the DC front, and if Venables is keeping quiet preparing for the playoffs then that is a good sign that may be there have been substantive talks between the two.

But if Venables is NOT in the picture at all then I would suspect Morris will name his DC before too much longer.

I agree, he would have already named one.

Ragnar

The Otis Kirks thread..... I was in my office in LR and remember that entire dialogue......that was indeed funny. Also remember................. It's Tulane dork.