Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

53 man Razorback Roster

Started by bennyl08, August 14, 2017, 08:00:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

What would your 53 person razorback roster look like? Who would be the 10 on the practice squad? Keep in mind that players not on the roster can taken up by another school. Further, while this thread is assuming a setup similar to the NFL, the eligibility of college remains in play. So youth is a factor as well.

QB: Allen, Kelley
RB: Whaley, Chase, Maleek
FB: Jackson
WR: Cornelius, Jones, Nance, Pettway, Jackson, Hammonds
TE: Cantrell, O'Grady/Patton, Gunter
LT: Jackson, Ramirez
LG: Froholdt
C: Ragnow, Rogers
RG: Gibson, Heinrich
RT: Wallace, Clenin, Adcock
(25)

DE: Sosa, Taylor
DT: Jackson, Capps, Watts
DE: Smith, Guidry

OLB: Ramsey, Paul
ILB: Harris, Morgan, AJB
ILB: Greenlaw, LaFrance
OLB: Eugene, Fisher

CB: Toliver, Challoway
S: Coley, Brown
S: Ramirez, KR3, Curl
CB: Pulley, Curtis
(25)

K: Mazza
P: Johnson
LS: Decker

Practice Squad
Patton/O'Grady
Hayden Henry/Richardson
Marshall
Porter
Tutt
Dalton
Clary
Proctor
Cross
Warren/Martin
(10)

IR
Wagner

Some very good players have naturally been left out. Key and glaring omission here would be David Williams. If I thought he'd be a 1k yard rusher for us this season behind Whaley, I'd probably put him in the 53, Maleek Williams on the practice squad, and bump off Dalton. I'm skeptical that David will be that productive and while I don't think he'll be 4th on the depth chart this year, youth is again a factor. On the OL, I definitely am low on interior OL players and high on tackles. The though process being it is much easier for a tackle to play guard than vice versa and much more important to have high quality tackle play. I think there is some really good potential there with our tackles so keeping a disproportional amount in order to let the cream rise to the top. Plus, Rogers can play anywhere inside. I left off some guys like Roesler and Richardson at LB who both appear to be heavy in our rotation. Roesler is an older player who just hasn't done anything yet so I went in favor of youth and I may be making a mistake with Richardson but it is what it is.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

TebowHater

I gotta have Brandon Martin in the mix. He is the best looking receiver I can ever remember us having here. Looks just like Julio Jones - is massive - got to be a good blocker if nothing else, but something tells me if he can learn the playbook/stay healthy he will be a monster for us

bennyl08

Quote from: TebowHater on August 14, 2017, 08:25:29 pm
I gotta have Brandon Martin in the mix. He is the best looking receiver I can ever remember us having here. Looks just like Julio Jones - is massive - got to be a good blocker if nothing else, but something tells me if he can learn the playbook/stay healthy he will be a monster for us

I had him in their initially, but I also want to avoid having a Reed scenario happen as well. If he will learn the playbook, he'd be in the 53 in a heartbeat. On paper, he'd be there right now. It really becomes a question of how serious are his issues? In spring, coaches were lauding his reliable catching and precise route running, but if you were to listen to coach interviews today, he's become fat, out of shape, isn't running precise routes and struggles with the playbook.

If it is that bad, then he isn't going to be taking up a spot on the 53. However, it could also just be the way the coaches think might motivate him to be great instead of just really good. Hard to really know.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

onebadrubi

Richardson is a captain and went to see media days.   He will
Be on the roster unless I've missed something?

I also think cross and o Grady get in the mix but wow, more names on that practice squad that we thought would be contributors. 

Also, has Wallace solidified RT?  Or are you making a calculated guess?

Martin may very well be on PS early if he's still a little banged up and a step slow mentally with the playbook.  I just can't imagine his talents letting him be there all year though

Thanks for this Benny, kind of puts a lot into perspective this early with it laid out that way!

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

howie76

Good list... but I counted 26 in ur first group boss

bennyl08

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 14, 2017, 09:16:21 pm
Richardson is a captain and went to see media days.   He will
Be on the roster unless I've missed something?

You missed something. He's on there.

QuoteI also think cross and o Grady get in the mix but wow, more names on that practice squad that we thought would be contributors. 

Who on the 53 man roster would you take off in order to have Cross? O'Grady is in the mix. One of him and Patton would make the 53 man roster, the other would go to the PS.

QuoteAlso, has Wallace solidified RT?  Or are you making a calculated guess?

He literally started the last 10 games of the season last year, spent 100% of the spring, summer, and so far, fall camp as the starting RT. If projecting Wallace as the starter is a calculated guess, the calculation would appear to be 2+2=?.

QuoteMartin may very well be on PS early if he's still a little banged up and a step slow mentally with the playbook.  I just can't imagine his talents letting him be there all year though

I sincerely hope he wouldn't be. I think he can truly be like a Brandon Marshall or a Demaryus Thomas for our team this year. He fits a role for this team that nobody else can fill.

QuoteThanks for this Benny, kind of puts a lot into perspective this early with it laid out that way!

Lucky for us, we get to have more than twice a 53 man roster size when the season actually starts, and our "limited roster" is almost exactly double 53. Making an exercise like this about as meaningful for the hogs as a thread about who'd be a better cricket player.

That said, there are three really useful lessons in doing something like this. First and foremost is an appreciation for general managers and such in the NFL. They have to make some incredibly tough decisions. Even tougher considering players with the talent of Morgan, Hatcher, and Skipper are the NFL equivalent of walk-ons and they are having to decide who to keep on their roster out of basically Knile, JWill, Collins, McFadden, Cobbs, and Felix. And only three of them make the roster. Or, Henry, Derby, DJ Williams, Gragg, and Sprinkle, which two will make your roster? The second useful thing, IMO, is with depth. Somebody like KR3, Eugene, Guidry, and Rogers can be very useful because they can provide depth for a multitude of positions. Lastly, it makes you consider the razorbacks themselves. Who are the guys we can't live without? Who are the guys we could? How much is youth valued? This really shows itself in the RB group. Can't really afford to keep 4 unless we completely leave off the FB and hope that TE's can fill that role. Coaches seem to be expecting a lot of out David Williams yet he didn't even make my practice squad. I think our team absolutely needs him this year. However, it becomes a case of sacrificing his skill set this year in order to have sustained depth for the years to come.

rzrbackramsfan

KlubhouseKonnected

I think that Arkansas signing the #1 JUCO TE and the #1 JUCO WR in the same class and having neither of those guys solidly make the 53 man roster could possibly be the most modern history of Arkansas Razorbacks football thing to ever happen in the modern history of Arkansas Razorbacks football.

I am kidding but also a little mystified IRL.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

bennyl08

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 15, 2017, 12:17:11 am
I think that Arkansas signing the #1 JUCO TE and the #1 JUCO WR in the same class and having neither of those guys solidly make the 53 man roster could possibly be the most modern history of Arkansas Razorbacks football thing to ever happen in the modern history of Arkansas Razorbacks football.

I am kidding but also a little mystified IRL.

At the end of spring, Martin was solidly the #2 behind Cornelius. I have no doubt he can get there again, it's just a matter of him putting in the work.

As for Patton, that's just a case of not knowing who is best. Judging from Patton's highlights out of JUCO, O'Grady's highlights out of HS, and the progression we've seen from Cheyenne over the years here, I fully expect that O'Grady will be able to hold his own in a competition against Patton. Patton was the #1 JUCO, sure, but O'Grady was a 4* HS recruit. I mean, it's like signing the top TE from the Canadian Football League and being surprised if a 2nd round draft pick in his third NFL season isn't giving up his spot on the depth chart. Now, I have no clue if Patton is going to be better than O'Grady as I haven't seen any practices, and Patton's been out for the Scrimmages. Hard to say much. However, 4 TE's is too much in a 53 man roster IMO. 3TE's and knowing who your fourth one will be if you lose one to injury is the way to go. Why not Patton, O'Grady, and Cantrell? Gunter has the youth aspect first and foremost. Any other team could sign Gunter off of our practice squad if they wanted. Two, Gunter has received a lot of praise from the coaches this offseason. Despite the backlog of depth, he proved to be too talented to redshirt. O'Grady and Patton have a similar skill set, so I diversified.

P.S. I know you kidding, but I find it interesting to go into the weeds and details. Not trying to preach to you or anything like that. You bring up some very interesting points that I think posed some interesting problems. Would love to see what other people think and what theirs would look like.

KlubhouseKonnected

I know they have been hampered by injury and at least at TE you can't deny that the depth at least athletically has been very highly regarded I suppose I was just indulging in what I believe to be a terminal case of "waiting for the other shoe to drop" that a lot of us have. I know it's probably not the case but it seems like we get more than our fair share of tough breaks.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

nwahogfan1

August 15, 2017, 09:50:22 am #11 Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:16:30 am by nwahogfan1
I am glad I am not making out a 53 man roster because like you said some good players would not be on it.  But we will find out pretty quickly about our travel roster the 1st game.  I forget how many we can take but isn't it something around 65 or so but that will tell us something about who coaches are going to be depending on early any our depth. 

Looking ahead of who may or may not be on it and who will be RS. 

I am looking forward to the depth chart before the 1st game like many of you guys.  For fun how many true freshmen will help early? 
I think Chase will play for sure at RB and maybe Maleek Williams but probable only if he can help on one of the special teams
I would say a couple true freshmen DB will play very early.  Kurl and Hernandez are making great leaps.   
I think they will play at least 2 True Freshmen WRs.
I think all the true Freshmen OL and DL will probable RS. 
I think all the true freshmen LBs will probable RS unless one or two can make a contribution to one of the special teams.   

razorbacksnum1

Hayden Henry will make 53 and end up being the most surprising true freshman.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: razorbacksnum1 on August 15, 2017, 10:23:35 am
Hayden Henry will make 53 and end up being the most surprising true freshman.
Grant Morgan is going to have something to say about that. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

bennyl08

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 15, 2017, 09:50:22 am
I am glad I am not making out a 53 man roster because like you said some good players would not be on it.  But we will find out pretty quickly about our travel roster the 1st game.  I forget how many we can take but isn't it something around 65 or so but that will tell us something about who coaches are going to be depending on early any our depth. 

Looking ahead of who may or may not be on it and who will be RS. 

I am looking forward to the depth chart before the 1st game like many of you guys.  For fun how many true freshmen will help early? 
I think Chase will play for sure at RB and maybe Maleek Williams but probable only if he can help on one of the special teams
I would say a couple true freshmen DB will play very early.  Kurl and Hernandez are making great leaps.   
I think they will play at least 2 True Freshmen WRs.
I think all the true Freshmen OL and DL will probable RS. 
I think all the true freshmen LBs will probable RS unless one or two can make a contribution to one of the special teams.

Did a quick google search and as of 2013 at least, the travel roster was 70. Home team can dress out more, but only 70 can actually participate.

1. Definitely.
2. I think Maleek plays more than people will be expecting. Namely, Bielema has had power backs with JWill and RW3 lately and to a decent degree Collins as well. I'm using power backs a bit loosely in that Green and Walker are true power back types, but among the feature back category, the the Williamses were both more on the power side of the do it all type. Whaley has a surprising amount of power, but Maleek is a feature back who has a lot of power. He reminds me of a Marcus Lattimore type. Chase has quickness that none of the other backs on our roster have as well. Maleek isn't the only one special, but I wouldn't count out Maleek just yet.
3. Agree, but the name's I'd mention would be Challoway and Curtis. I think Curl will definitely play as well. Not sure about Hernandez yet.
4. I'm not so sure on this one, but I wouldn't be shocked if it happened. Cornelius, Jones, Pettway, Nance, and Stewart have done nothing but impress. Matin impressed in the spring but it seems from the coach's interviews fell off some during the summer. Add in guys like Cross and Warnock and that we also have some good TE's with more experience than our receivers atm as well as several RB's who can catch and that's assuming that Hammonds is out, we are pretty good in the receiving department. I mean, we could put Cross, Warnock, Nance, and Enlow as our starting group of receivers and I'd have zero hesitation betting that barring injury, Austin throws for over 3,000 yards with that group. That's to say, we in no way, shape, or form IMO NEED any of our true freshmen to play. We are deep with bodies and deep with SEC level talent ahead of the true freshmen. If any of them do play, which I'd bet at least one will, it is not out of need (which I fully recognize that you never claimed that, but others may gripe and moan), but simply because those players are that good. Kolian Jackson immediately comes to mind. Jordan Jones and Brandon Martin are the only two guys I currently see who have NFL WR1 type skill sets, so I hope those guys can end up becoming our best guys before their careers here finish, but I see Kolian challenging Jones. Behind Jackson, Warren/Barnes who judging from their HS tapes are virtually the same players to me could end up playing on special teams and then just because their redshirt was removed, a couple snaps at WR where they otherwise wouldn't have gotten any.
5. Disagree here. One of our tackle's will end up playing IMO. First, we signed three so it is good to have some separation in class between them. Further, we lose a lot of scholarship OL players in the next 2 years, almost half of them. We'll need some playing time for them.
6. Fisher is going to be too valuable to RS. Paul is Ramsey 2.0 and outside of Gabe Richardson (and Taylor who's playing DE and possibly Bell who's out this year with injury), we don't have any other LB's with that toolset. So, I can definitely see Paul playing.

Cletus

Y'all talking about Kevin Challoway?
See, what had happened was........

bennyl08

Quote from: Cletus on August 15, 2017, 07:02:44 pm
Y'all talking about Kevin Challoway?

He's the new Kniles Davis.

razorbacksnum1

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on August 15, 2017, 10:36:56 am
Grant Morgan is going to have something to say about that.
Come back in two weeks when the official depth chart is released and we'll see who is correct.