Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SDS says even our bye week is a loser........

Started by ricepig, May 16, 2017, 07:35:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on May 16, 2017, 07:35:51 am
Of course, we all know it's too early in the season.......

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-bye-week-winners-losers-2017/

Yes, way too early in the season for a bye week but, if it helps them have a better game plan for A&M and beat them in Dallas, good for them. And without even taking a look at A&M's returning personnel, I'm sure we already know what to expect.
Go Hogs Go!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

SDS has very little respect for the Arkansas program. The only positive article they've written this year wasn't even about the program, it was about the bravery of Rawleigh Williams. Unless you are a fan of Bama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, or LSU theres no reason to read anything on that site  ::)
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

daBoar

At USCe, At Bama, Auburn, At Ole Miss............no break in between.  Versus:  Home against TCU, break, neutral site versus A&M.  Hard to believe anyone would think that was well planned.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on May 16, 2017, 08:14:07 am
SDS has very little respect for the Arkansas program. The only positive article they've written this year wasn't even about the program, it was about the bravery of Rawleigh Williams. Unless you are a fan of Bama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, or LSU theres no reason to read anything on that site  ::)

So, perrenial contenders.

ricepig

Quote from: daBoar on May 16, 2017, 08:14:14 am
At USCe, At Bama, Auburn, At Ole Miss............no break in between.  Versus:  Home against TCU, break, neutral site versus A&M.  Hard to believe anyone would think that was well planned.

You realize "we" didn't plan it? The SEC sets our conference schedule and bye week.

Vantage 8 dude

So you actually think the Hog's administration planned that.....uhhh, might want to think long and hard on that one.  :-X

GuvHog

Scheduling Coastal Carolina later in the season helps in that regard. That's a game that should allow CBB and his staff to give the starters some rest.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 16, 2017, 08:21:05 am
So, perrenial contenders.
Georgia hasn't really been a contender since Stafford left. They get those 9/10 wins and bow out. Florida hasn't been much better, but the rest of the east has been such a mess that the gators have been able to back their way in. They are all media darlings and have been for quite some time
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Hogwild

Quote from: ricepig on May 16, 2017, 09:46:30 am
You realize "we" didn't plan it? The SEC sets our conference schedule and bye week.

Are you sure about that? 

I know they do the conference games, but I thought that they other 5 weeks were up to the school's AD.  I remember the "controversy" a few years ago when all the teams in the West & Tennessee had their bye week right before they played Bama.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogwild on May 16, 2017, 11:50:10 am
Are you sure about that? 

I know they do the conference games, but I thought that they other 5 weeks were up to the school's AD.  I remember the "controversy" a few years ago when all the teams in the West & Tennessee had their bye week right before they played Bama.

The schools set their off week by setting their ooc schedule. Problem is, there may be a day you just can not get a suitable opponent, so that ends up being your off week. Or, you may choose to not have a game on a certain date for some reason. Add in that some of you ooc games are set years in advance, and its not as easy as it looks. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Quote from: Hogwild on May 16, 2017, 11:50:10 am
Are you sure about that? 

They could have scheduled us a conference game in week 3, there's no written rule that we open SEC play in week 4. We opened at Auburn in 2014.

Hogwild

Quote from: ricepig on May 16, 2017, 12:44:58 pm
They could have scheduled us a conference game in week 3, there's no written rule that we open SEC play in week 4. We opened at Auburn in 2014.

I understand that, sometimes there is a conference game in week 1. 

What I was asking is are you sure that the conference office tells us when our Bye week has to be?

ricepig

Quote from: Hogwild on May 16, 2017, 01:11:26 pm
I understand that, sometimes there is a conference game in week 1. 

What I was asking is are you sure that the conference office tells us when our Bye week has to be?

They set our conference schedule which sets our bye week. If not, please tell me our bye week for 2018.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on May 16, 2017, 01:58:24 pm
They set our conference schedule which sets our bye week. If not, please tell me our bye week for 2018.

Well it sucks and I am sure that we would have loved to have shifted N. Mexico State from 9/30 to the 3rd week of our season instead but their conference has them scheduled to play Troy that weekend. But even if that had worked out we would still have had an 8 game stretch without a break.
Go Hogs Go!

daBoar

Quote from: ricepig on May 16, 2017, 09:46:30 am
And all the other teams are just "fortunate"?  Argh.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: daBoar on May 16, 2017, 06:24:12 pm

I'm sure you've heard Bielema ask about that "computer" in Birmingham that puts out these unbiased schedules.

Rocket23

.   Our open date for 2018 is the week in the schedule we don't play anyone!  😂   Sorry rp, couldn't resist.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on May 16, 2017, 06:54:21 pm
I'm sure you've heard Bielema ask about that "computer" in Birmingham that puts out these unbiased schedules.

Totally random....

ricepig

Quote from: Rocket23 on May 16, 2017, 07:01:26 pm
.   Our open date for 2018 is the week in the schedule we don't play anyone!  😂   Sorry rp, couldn't resist.

I think you're on to something.......

Hawgar The Horrible

How many other SEC teams can you name that had to play Auburn in their place for two consecutive years?
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Hawgar The Horrible

I asked you a question that you have repeatedly ignored. Please acknowledge it so I know you won't continue to post absolute BS.

Hawgar The Horrible

lakecityhog

Our schedule sets up very nicely for us this year and most of you know it.
We get the opener on a Thursday night which gives us 2 extra days to prepare for TCU.
We then have a bye week to get ready for probably the most pivotal game of the season, Texas A&M.
We then have a very winnable OOC game with NMSU and that  is great for a potential let-down.

Then we travel to South Carolina, another very winnable game. So we could potentially start off 5-0.

Our least winnable games are on the road, Bama and LSU which means that our tougher winnable games are at home(a BIG +)!

So, we have a 4 game stretch after an OOC game and then we have Coastal Carolina for a second break before we finish with with 2 of our final 3 at home.

How is that not a favorable schedule???

Al Boarland

Quote from: lakecityhog on May 16, 2017, 09:46:03 pm
We get the opener on a Thursday night which gives us 2 extra days to prepare for TCU.
We then have a bye week to get ready for probably the most pivotal game of the season, Texas A&M.
We then have a very winnable OOC game with NMSU and that  is great for a potential let-down.

Then we travel to South Carolina, another very winnable game. So we could potentially start off 5-0.

Our least winnable games are on the road, Bama and LSU which means that our tougher winnable games are at home(a BIG +)!

So, we have a 4 game stretch after an OOC game and then we have Coastal Carolina for a second break before we finish with with 2 of our final 3 at home.

Considering SCar is a toss up along with the Ms Schools and we'll likely be dogs the rest of the conference games I wouldn't really call it favorable. More like less sucky than other years.

Hogwild

May 17, 2017, 08:37:30 am #27 Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 08:56:28 am by Hogwild

I have no idea, not privy to the correspondence between the SEC & our athletic dept.

What I was asking you, are you sure the conference now assigns the bye weeks for the teams,  and is it a change from the past method of 6 reserved weeks? 

Back in 2010, Bama threw a fit when teams manipulated the schedule, where 6 teams had a bye week before playing Bama. That was when the schools were able to chose their bye weeks in advance, has that changed?

Last year we were accused a manipulating our schedule, and was curious if the SEC office was trying to get pay back by giving us such an early bye week, or did our OOC scheduling dictate the bye week?

scooby21322

Exactly.  This schedule is as favorable as we could ask for as a SEC West team.

Dominicanhog

LRHog

It will be somewhere between september and december in the year 2018.

Hogwild

What I don't like about our schedule is that come week 12, the Saturday before Thanksgiving, we will have played only one conference game at home (Auburn)

code red

Quote from: Hogwild on May 17, 2017, 11:12:38 am
What I don't like about our schedule is that come week 12, the Saturday before Thanksgiving, we will have played only one conference game at home (Auburn)
We better make hay with that outta conference schedule.  If we lose to the Hornfrogs it could get ugly.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Steef

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 16, 2017, 03:01:09 pm
Well it sucks and I am sure that we would have loved to have shifted N. Mexico State from 9/30 to the 3rd week of our season instead but their conference has them scheduled to play Troy that weekend. But even if that had worked out we would still have had an 8 game stretch without a break.

The operative word you left out bud, is....'again'.

We would still have a LONG (no pun intended) stretch of games...again.

'we' may not be scheduling this. But 'we' are doing a pretty lousy job of getting anything changed. The SEC screws us over a lot.

LZH

Quote from: Steef on May 17, 2017, 02:43:13 pm

'we' may not be scheduling this. But 'we' are doing a pretty lousy job of getting anything changed. The SEC screws us over a lot.

Everyone hates us....

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Steef on May 17, 2017, 02:43:13 pm

Oh believe me, I got the "again" part, but it just keeps getting worse.
Go Hogs Go!

Steef

Quote from: LZH on May 17, 2017, 02:44:44 pm
Everyone hates us....

I don't think they hate us.

I think they just disdain us.

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 17, 2017, 02:57:13 pm
Oh believe me, I got the "again" part, but it just keeps getting worse.

Yup.

(sigh)

ChicoHog

Quote from: Hogwild on May 17, 2017, 11:12:38 am
That's what I think is unacceptable.  As someone who lives in CA and comes to one game a year I want to see a quality SEC game in either september or early october when weather is still warm.    Can't do it this year.  Instead I'm going to the TCU game.  The odd numbered years just don't set up for a good home game schedule for the fans going to the games.

HeathWimp

As usual, bent over by the SEC Office with respect to scheduling.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

woodhog14

woodhog14

May 18, 2017, 01:58:49 pm #40 Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 02:25:13 pm by woodhog14
Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 16, 2017, 07:14:39 pm
How many other SEC teams can you name that had to play Auburn in their place for two consecutive years?

Who did? The Hogs? When?