Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBB... #7 on Coaches Hot Seat

Started by moses_007, May 13, 2017, 04:08:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 21, 2017, 04:51:40 pm
So some dude at coacheshotseat.com knows a guy from Ft. Smith who told him over dinner in San Francisco that Bret Bielema must have a voodoo hex on Hog fans to keep his job with such a crappy SEC winning percentage? And this is the basis for a thread that has 7,200 hits and 550 responses?

What if a guy from upyournose.com knew a guy from Hogeye who, over lunch in Piggott, said the guy in Ft. Smith who knew the dude at coacheshotseat.com was a complete fruitcake? How many hits would that thread get?

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hawgon on May 23, 2017, 06:51:46 pm
It is easy to say that now, but Ford was a disinterested drunk who couldn't even remember the players' names on his show while he was at Arkansas.  Yeah, in hindsight maybe it would have been better if he had gotten another year, but no thinking person can fault the decision to fire him.
Yes, I was beyond ready for a change. 1998 wouldn't have been anything like it was if Ford had stayed.
In the same season 1997, I sat through the 'did we score a touchdown?' fiasco in Shreveport in yet another loss to SMU(three in a row), and a rag-tag, who-cares? effort in a 39-18 loss in LR to South Carolina. Embarassing.
Danny did some good things, but it was time for a change.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 23, 2017, 06:54:45 pm
In hindsight, no thinking man would agree to his next hire. Compare the resume's of Nutt and Bielema. Who do you think performed more due diligence?
Funny, if CBB is here ten seasons, it says here he will do well to duplicate Nutt's records.
I said that on hiring day...that we were heading for another Nutt-like regime, record-wise. Which was actually pretty good by Arkansas standards.
I believe Nutt's W-L was 75-48 overall, and I'm not what his SEC overall record was.

GuvHog

It is easy to say that now, but Ford was a disinterested drunk who couldn't even remember the players' names on his show while he was at Arkansas. 

Agreed. The man should never have been hired as the head Hog in the first place. What Frank Broyles did to Joe Kines was just plain dirty. Joe deserved a legit chance at Arkansas but he never got it.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogcard1964

Quote from: hawgon on May 23, 2017, 07:51:34 pm
You know you've hit rock bottom in defending a coach, when you down to using Danny Ford's tenure at Arkansas.

Yea, that's bad.  Oooh, that's really bad.

But who has a better winning percentage at Arkansas, Ford or Bielema?

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on May 23, 2017, 11:28:46 pm
Funny, if CBB is here ten seasons, it says here he will do well to duplicate Nutt's records.
I said that on hiring day...that we were heading for another Nutt-like regime, record-wise. Which was actually pretty good by Arkansas standards.
I believe Nutt's W-L was 75-48 overall, and I'm not what his SEC overall record was.
Nutt sec record 42-38

hogcard1964

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on May 24, 2017, 08:52:38 am
Nutt sec record 42-38

Nutt was a bit better.  As much as that pains me to say it, because he was an absolute embarrassment.

870hogfan

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 24, 2017, 08:54:40 am
Nutt was a bit better.  As much as that pains me to say it, because he was an absolute embarrassment.

In a weaker SEC....

hawgon

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 24, 2017, 08:54:40 am

I think Nutt was actually a lot better.  Even if you remove Bielema's first season, Nutt still had a better winning percentage.  If you cut Nutt the same slack that some want to give Bielema, and remove those two losing seasons that Nutt claimed were the result of Frank's buddy getting us investigated and killing recruiting, then Nutt averaged over 8 wins a year.

Without those two years Nutt  AVERAGED what has Bielema's best effort so far.

hogcard1964

Quote from: hawgon on May 24, 2017, 09:34:10 am
I think Nutt was actually a lot better.  Even if you remove Bielema's first season, Nutt still had a better winning percentage.  If you cut Nutt the same slack that some want to give Bielema, and remove those two losing seasons that Nutt claimed were the result of Frank's buddy getting us investigated and killing recruiting, then Nutt averaged over 8 wins a year.

I'd argue "a lot".  He was "better".  Let's leave it at that.

RazorWest

It is easy to say that now, but Ford was a disinterested drunk who couldn't even remember the players' names on his show while he was at Arkansas.  Yeah, in hindsight maybe it would have been better if he had gotten another year, but no thinking person can fault the decision to fire him.

It's funny you say that.  I work with a guy who was recruited by Ford, and then was there thru the changing to Nutt.  He said he was on a recruiting visit and went to Fords office where Ford called him the wrong name multiple times.  How do you screw up someone's name who is sitting in front of you in a one on one trying to recruit them?  I know we had talent on that time Nutt inherited but I'm not convinced  Ford was a "special" recruiter or coach in any way 

RazorWest

Quote from: hawgon on May 24, 2017, 09:34:10 am

If Nutt hadn't been such a fool his last few years he would be remembered much more fondly.  He wasn't terrible when you look at his Wins and Losses.  He just was a tool. 

hawgon

Quote from: RazorWest on May 24, 2017, 10:02:33 am
If Nutt hadn't been such a fool his last few years he would be remembered much more fondly.  He wasn't terrible when you look at his Wins and Losses.  He just was a tool.

Nutt's biggest problems were wasted chances.  And then when he started to get some heat for it, he went full on batshart crazy and doubled down.  Had he let things be, that 2006 team could have played for an NC even after losing the first game to USC.

It is easy to say Bielema is a lot better person Nutt, but he has been on extended four year honeymoon and has had no pressure at this point.  Let's see what happens when the heat gets turned up.

hogcard1964

Quote from: RazorWest on May 24, 2017, 10:00:40 am
It's funny you say that.  I work with a guy who was recruited by Ford, and then was there thru the changing to Nutt.  He said he was on a recruiting visit and went to Fords office where Ford called him the wrong name multiple times.  How do you screw up someone's name who is sitting in front of you in a one on one trying to recruit them?  I know we had talent on that time Nutt inherited but I'm not convinced  Ford was a "special" recruiter or coach in any way

I'm not sure about that RazorEast.

Pig In The City

Not all people who can blog should blog. Just saying.

MuskogeeHogFan

May 24, 2017, 08:33:25 pm #615 Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:13:35 pm by MuskogeeHogFan

HC's are rarely the guys who are the main recruiters. However, they should be a "closer" on a kid that you want. What you are saying happened, may have happened, but it sounds weird if that was actually the case. 99% of HC's have more on the ball than that.
Go Hogs Go!

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 24, 2017, 08:33:25 pm
HC's are rarely the guys who are the main recruiters. However, they should be a "closer" on a kid that you want. What you are saying happened, may have happened, but it sounds weird if that was actually the case. 99% of HC's have more on the ball than that.
Danny was in the 1%.
He ain't no scientific rocket.
His heart was, and is, in South Carolina.
I don't think he was just cashing a paycheck, because he did some good things, but it was the next thing to that.

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 24, 2017, 08:33:25 pm

Danny Ford was a "has been". College football had passed him by but he couldn't let go and the Arkansas Razorback football program paid the price for it. He should have retired after his tenure at Clemson and stayed in South Carolina. His hiring was one of Frank's few mistakes.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HognitiveDissonance

Ford was the same way on his TV show.
They'd be showing some highlights and once he said 'that was a good play by number 44 there....uh...uh...what's his name....Smith'   (Mark Smith)
He was probably the best defensive player we had at the time.

Another time it was one of those games (1996 or 1997) where Bill Clinton attended a Hog game in Little Rock. A pretty momentous occasion, regardless of politics, considering it's rare in U.S. history for a sitting President to attend football games. On the coach's show, they showed a clip of the Presidential motorcade leaving the stadium. All Danny could think to say was 'uh...well, there he goes there...' That's all he could think of to say at the moment.

I don't think Danny knew his own name half the time.

It was like watching Comedy Central. Except it was unintentional.

hawgon

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on May 25, 2017, 01:56:25 pm
Danny was in the 1%.
He ain't no scientific rocket.
His heart was, and is, in South Carolina.
I don't think he was just cashing a paycheck, because he did some good things, but it was the next thing to that.

I think Danny was an awesome coach and he was knew what it took to win and was good enough just half arsing it to get some good players here.  But yeah, his heart wasn't here.  It was on his farm in South Carolina.

Hogwild

Quote from: LZH on May 21, 2017, 05:04:31 pm
Good for 11th in the SEC.....

He fell to #12 in the most recent release, was in my paper this morning. It just goes to show you how crazy SEC fans are.

#1 Saban is a no brainer, but with CBB, Gus, and Sumlin as the bottom 3 were surprising.  Freeze at 6 & Stoops in 4th are baffling to me.

Some of the quotes are interesting-

QuoteBest coach we've had in some time. Nobody, I repeat, nobody has recruited at a level up to par with Stoops in years. I think stoops will build his legacy here and he's doing it the right way.
QuoteHe deserves a fair chance. He could be the best thing that happens to us or a bust. One thing for sure he gets an A for work ethics! Give the man four or five years to prove himself! He needs at least a couple recruiting classes of his own.
QuoteI like Bret in terms of how he comes across in interviews. I also really think he genuinely cares about the players, but at the end of the day for $4.1 million/year, the 10-22 in the SEC over 4 years speaks for itself. We need to win more games, plain and simple.
https://www.seccountry.com/sec/sec-coaches-approval-ratings-may-2017