Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Today's scrimmage

Started by ricepig, April 15, 2017, 11:49:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

Quote from: Ironhawg on April 15, 2017, 07:29:38 pm
So our punter has done something stupid to get himself hurt AND to get put on double secret probation?  That must have been quite the escapade.

Rolled an ankle tackling Baker Mayfield.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: Al Boarland on April 15, 2017, 08:38:53 pm
I'm surprised it's not discussed more that CBB only wants to take 1 QB per class. HUGE risk.

It is a normal risk - most schools nationwide take only one QB per class.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Paul

Quote from: TeufelHog on April 15, 2017, 07:23:38 pm
Look guys, no agenda on my part with respect to the foot injuries.  I'm just dumbfounded by the fact that it seems like every year since Knile Davis in 2011 we have lost key players to foot related injuries.  Look, I get it . . . we're dealing with 250-300+ lb. young men who are pummeling, falling on, crawling over, stepping on each other.  I just do not understand the "well it's inevitably going to happen" attitude that seems to exist.

For heaven's sake, redesign the upper/tongue of the cleats to include a flexible deflector or pad, use a softer material or reshape the cleat prongs, check our ankle taping methods to see if they're causing an issue, review our weight-lifting exercises/techniques for possible causal effects, review supplement or nutrition deficiencies related to bone density . . . heck if nothing else, get NIKE to come in and do a study related to their footwear.  These annual foot injuries are just REDONKULOUS.
for reelz

colbs

Quote from: Al Boarland on April 15, 2017, 08:38:53 pm
I'm surprised it's not discussed more that CBB only wants to take 1 QB per class. HUGE risk.
Pretty much the norm across cfb.  Only get 25 signees per year and only one can see the field at a time. 

PorkRinds

Sounds like Storey is securing his spot as back up QB.

JIHawg

Taking one a year means at any given time you have four quarterbacks on campus.  How many do you want?

tusksincolorado

April 15, 2017, 09:37:07 pm #56 Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 09:50:52 pm by tusksincolorado
Quote from: Styflin on April 15, 2017, 03:18:02 pm
We were told that part of the punishment was he would not take first team reps this spring. So was the punishment made under the assumption he wouldn't do everything that was asked of him? I didn't hear the coaches say he could work his way back to first team this spring. Did you? The question was a legitimate one.

and if one read the scrimmage notes, one would see where CBB address the question and answered the question.

1964 has been carrying a agenda concerning CBB for some time now.

as I previously stated....

Read more...post less.

And yes I did comprehend when CBB stated he EARNED his way back to 1st team....and during the 1st week of practice when his absence was addressed....he had lost his trust with teammates.

Apparently he completed all his requirements to EARN THAT TRUST BACK.

So maybe CBB should put out a "Dick and Jane Post Practice/Scrimmage Press notes" explaining everything for The Simple?

See Allen pass the ball.

See TJ catch the ball.

Run TJ run.

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 15, 2017, 09:22:35 pm
Sounds like Storey is securing his spot as back up QB.

For this week.......

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on April 15, 2017, 09:02:20 pm
Rolled an ankle tackling Baker Mayfield.

If I had to guess, it was "Row" last weekend according to my daughter, big time parties, haha.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: ricepig on April 15, 2017, 09:48:29 pm
If I had to guess, it was "Row" last weekend according to my daughter, big time parties, haha.

discipline being applied....

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on April 15, 2017, 09:46:39 pm
For this week.......

Kelley is the better thrower for sure, but from the sounds of things, Ty has a significantly better command of the pocket.

Now, no matter what else happens, Cole is going to have the superior firepower at qb. However, Ty has all the talent to be a very good SEC qb himself. His biggest problem was the speed of the game in the SEC vs HS. Sounds like that has cleared up for him while it is still an issue for Cole (relatively speaking).

Which leaves us with the question of the backup QB. How much better is Ty's command than is Kelley's arm? Based on HS tape which is all most of us have, if Derby's arm is 1 and Mallett's is a 10, then I'd put Kelley's at an 8.7 and Storey's at a 7.4. Keep in mind, that while Derby won't be remembered as a great qb, he was far from the reason we lost to Rutgers. Basically, most SEC qb's arm strengths would fall in the 3-7 range with NFL minimum being 5-6 or better.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: Ironhawg on April 15, 2017, 07:29:38 pm
So our punter has done something stupid to get himself hurt AND to get put on double secret probation?  That must have been quite the escapade.

Streaking through the quad to the gymnasium, I think yes.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: RaisinHog on April 15, 2017, 07:28:18 pm
Well I for one hope we never find out what the back up QB situation is..

You have to prepare for that. Under Bret whenever the hogs had to utilize the back up QB it's been a disaster.

bennyl08

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 15, 2017, 10:37:59 pm
You have to prepare for that. Under Bret whenever the hogs had to utilize the back up QB it's been a disaster.

Remember when BA got knocked out of the OM game? What a disaster that 30-0 victory was.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HogHomer

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 15, 2017, 10:39:26 pm
Remember when BA got knocked out of the OM game? What a disaster that 30-0 victory was.
No you have to look at the games where we looked horrible with the backup QB in like 90 percent of the other college teams.

factchecker

"Dat dam Berlema was lucky to win that game.  We were close to loosing it.  If it wasn't raining da rebels wuld of spankd our butts.  Bunch of mediocrity loosers."   ----- Some Hogville Realist 
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Letsroll1200

Rutgers, Missouri etc... Our receiving corps is not going to save Allen this season. They're talented but inexperienced. Elite running game is the only chance to win 7 games.

a0ashle

Didn't we have a thread earlier in CBBs tenure complaining that one QB per year was too many, causing QBs to leave?

bennyl08

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 15, 2017, 10:55:07 pm
Rutgers, Missouri etc... Our receiving corps is not going to save Allen this season. They're talented but inexperienced. Elite running game is the only chance to win 7 games.

So you admit that it isn't whenever we need to rely on the backup qb. Also no comment from you on the virtually every team doing poorly when the backup is needed.

Austin doesn't need saving, considering he's rated as one of the top 10 returning players in the SEC regardless of year or position by profootballfocus.

Agree with the third sentence.

7 wins would be a disappointment even if our running game doesn't improve. We are set up to win 9 games this coming season with a chance at even more.

Styflin

Quote from: tusksincolorado on April 15, 2017, 09:37:07 pm
and if one read the scrimmage notes, one would see where CBB address the question and answered the question.

Read more...post less.

And yes I did comprehend when CBB stated he EARNED his way back to 1st team....and during the 1st week of practice when his absence was addressed....he had lost his trust with teammates.

So maybe CBB should put out a "Dick and Jane Post Practice/Scrimmage Press notes" explaining everything for The Simple?

See Allen pass the ball.

See TJ catch the ball.

Run TJ run.

I don't have an agenda against Coach and apparently I'm not smart enough to keep up. Here's to hoping the offensive line is a strong point this season. Cheers

hawgmasta

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 15, 2017, 05:23:17 pm

Because of this intricate structure, the human foot can sustain decades of use with remarkable resilience, especially with the support of roomy, well-cushioned shoes.[/i]"

https://www.sharecare.com/health/parts-of-the-skeletal-system/how-many-bones-in-foot

I see what you did there.

TomasPistola

Remember the time Bobby Boucher showed up at halftime and the Mud Dogs won the Bourbon Bowl? ;)
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

bennyl08

Quote from: TomasPistola on April 16, 2017, 12:23:37 am
Remember the time Bobby Boucher showed up at halftime and the Mud Dogs won the Bourbon Bowl? ;)

Didjou jus make a joke Bobby?

PorkRinds

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 15, 2017, 10:01:06 pm
Kelley is the better thrower for sure, but from the sounds of things, Ty has a significantly better command of the pocket.

Now, no matter what else happens, Cole is going to have the superior firepower at qb. However, Ty has all the talent to be a very good SEC qb himself. His biggest problem was the speed of the game in the SEC vs HS. Sounds like that has cleared up for him while it is still an issue for Cole (relatively speaking).

Which leaves us with the question of the backup QB. How much better is Ty's command than is Kelley's arm? Based on HS tape which is all most of us have, if Derby's arm is 1 and Mallett's is a 10, then I'd put Kelley's at an 8.7 and Storey's at a 7.4. Keep in mind, that while Derby won't be remembered as a great qb, he was far from the reason we lost to Rutgers. Basically, most SEC qb's arm strengths would fall in the 3-7 range with NFL minimum being 5-6 or better.

Your made up stats make me lol. In a totally good way.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 16, 2017, 01:21:28 am
Your made up stats make me lol. In a totally good way.

Your post is a 6. :)

Letsroll1200

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 16, 2017, 12:04:50 am
So you admit that it isn't whenever we need to rely on the backup qb. Also no comment from you on the virtually every team doing poorly when the backup is needed.

Austin doesn't need saving, considering he's rated as one of the top 10 returning players in the SEC regardless of year or position by profootballfocus.

Agree with the third sentence.

7 wins would be a disappointment even if our running game doesn't improve. We are set up to win 9 games this coming season with a chance at even more.

Tyler Wilson played a solid game when Ryan got hurt against Auburn. That's the level of coaching and preparation I would like to see. It's the small things with Bret coaching that concerns me.

FANONTHEHILL

In regard to the backup QB spot, Ty did have a better day.  The defense put a lot more pressure on the pocket and the pressure came from multiple angles.  Kelley is by no means immoblie, but Ty does move better.  Like all quarterbacks, it's not just the arm, its the feet.  Ty did a better job of getting his lower half in better position and made better throws yesterday.  Enos was coaching that on the field and I'm sure it will be a point of emphasis this week. 

I thought that it was great to see the defense step up.  Last week was more of a focus on just being in the right place.  This week, they turned up the pressure up front while maintaining their assignments and playing a few different lineups.  From week to week it was as you would expect.  You have to be assignment sound before you get aggressive. 

Of course since this is Hogville, if the offense plays well, the defense is awful and if the defense plays well, the offensive line is awful.  In reality no one will know anything about anything until August 31in Little Rock.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

secneahog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 15, 2017, 02:04:19 pm
Gibson's back with the first team.  Not sure if that's truly good or due to desperation due to a lack of depth?

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

secneahog

Quote from: Hogs run wild on April 15, 2017, 04:04:27 pm
false starts and giving up sacks...gonna be a short season.

Were using 4 different qbs, thats 4 different voices. Refs was told to call the game close .  . . are you wanting perfection, while were still in spring football?...good gosh, some of you guys on here are ridiculous.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

secneahog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 15, 2017, 07:54:01 pm
Probably not a joking matter. The kid obviously screwed up big time if they are making a decision over the weekend as to his future status with the team.

After Easter weekend, he will be back with the team, kid rolled his ankle doing something outside of football. Pump the brakes a lil bit, Bielema wont dismiss the guy..... Did you watch his Post scrimmage interview??

FANONTHEHILL

The emphasis on the false starts was not only that they happened, but where they happened.  No penalties in the red zone.  Coach Bielema was very direct, very loud, and very clear that those things cannot happen.  It happened with the ones and the twos and the twin players that jumped got an earful.  My wife commented that she'd never seen coach get on a guy like that (she doesn't attend that may practices) and I told her that if you do it all the time it's meaningless.  If you do it when necessary, it makes the point.  Coach Bielema made his point loud and clear.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

secneahog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 15, 2017, 10:55:07 pm

Wr core wont save Allen this year?....Have you seen the Wrs 40 times?  What did Hatcher run?  What did Drew Morgan run?  Who else?  D. Reed ran a 4.5 but he was non existent bc he would run wrong routes and not strong enough to get off the  blocks vs elite dbs. 

We had ZERO speed threats at Wr,  which is astonishing to me. That means to me, Allen will prolly have to hang on to the ball longer, waiting for those guys to get open,  Which in return will get you sacked. 

We needed alot more SEC speed at the Wr position and now we have that.
Jordan Jones, Deon Stewart, Brandon Martin are all three burners. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on April 16, 2017, 07:51:39 am
In regard to the backup QB spot, Ty did have a better day.  The defense put a lot more pressure on the pocket and the pressure came from multiple angles.  Kelley is by no means immoblie, but Ty does move better.  Like all quarterbacks, it's not just the arm, its the feet.  Ty did a better job of getting his lower half in better position and made better throws yesterday.  Enos was coaching that on the field and I'm sure it will be a point of emphasis this week. 

I thought that it was great to see the defense step up.  Last week was more of a focus on just being in the right place.  This week, they turned up the pressure up front while maintaining their assignments and playing a few different lineups.  From week to week it was as you would expect.  You have to be assignment sound before you get aggressive. 

Of course since this is Hogville, if the offense plays well, the defense is awful and if the defense plays well, the offensive line is awful.  In reality no one will know anything about anything until August 31in Little Rock.

Ah, you know us well.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on April 16, 2017, 08:03:48 am
The emphasis on the false starts was not only that they happened, but where they happened.  No penalties in the red zone.  Coach Bielema was very direct, very loud, and very clear that those things cannot happen.  It happened with the ones and the twos and the twin players that jumped got an earful.  My wife commented that she'd never seen coach get on a guy like that (she doesn't attend that may practices) and I told her that if you do it all the time it's meaningless.  If you do it when necessary, it makes the point.  Coach Bielema made his point loud and clear.

When CBB first came here they use to take them off the field and run them for making a dead ball foul. Did he get away from that?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 15, 2017, 02:04:19 pm
Gibson's back with the first team.  Not sure if that's truly good or due to desperation due to a lack of depth?

Damn. Just stop.
[CENSORED]!

FANONTHEHILL

Has more to do with a shuffle on the Oline with Paul Ramirez being gone and attending his grandmother's funeral. 

Steef

Quote from: tusksincolorado on April 15, 2017, 09:37:07 pm

Read more...post less.

See Allen pass the ball.

See TJ catch the ball.

Run TJ run.

'Styflin' was posing a legitimate question. Coach B did in fact state...more than once...that Gibson would not play with the ones this Spring.

Then suddenly, he does.

Coach is entitled to change his mind, but he didn't SAY anything about it...when he HAD mentioned the punishment.

So it's a fair question to wonder 'what changed'.

Meantime, you're being a butt about it.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Steef on April 16, 2017, 08:33:48 am
'Styflin' was posing a legitimate question. Coach B did in fact state...more than once...that Gibson would not play with the ones this Spring.

Then suddenly, he does.

Coach is entitled to change his mind, but he didn't SAY anything about it...when he HAD mentioned the punishment.

??? Not sure what you are saying as CBB did state why he let Gipson run with the 1s.

secneahog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on April 16, 2017, 08:33:00 am
Has more to do with a shuffle on the Oline with Paul Ramirez being gone and attending his grandmother's funeral.

Yep, anyone with a head on their shoulders and watched the post scrimmage Bielema interview would understand.

When Bielema touched base on the shuffling, it was apparent the shuffling slowed the oline unit down, bc of Ramriez being gone and not taking the 2nd team reps at LT. They through a true freshman in there etc.

The_Bionic_Pig

Sack's are being called that wouldn't have counted in TOUCH FOOTBALL. 

They are purposely being exaggerated with Blitz's Stunts coming from every direction.  It may not be Alabama 5 star player's on Defense but that is a 3/4 Alabama scheme in attack mode.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

HamSammich

Quote from: Styflin on April 15, 2017, 03:38:38 pm
I haven't seen the line play since last season. Would I call the line last year a problem? Absolutely. No idea what it looks like right now. It didn't sound like a good performance today. You didn't like the way he asked the question. That's ok...  still somewhat of a concern. My eyebrows raised when I saw Raulerson starting the spring at with the first team. 3 weeks in and we have said player being punished rolling first team.

Agreed

HamSammich

You guys should know you can not have opinions or questions that make you  appear to be anything other than zombie razorback fans that pop red colored pigs around here.

PorkRinds

Quote from: HamSammich on April 16, 2017, 09:21:46 am
You guys should know you can not have opinions or questions that make you  appear to be anything other than zombie razorback fans that pop red colored pigs around here.

You can have any opinion you want and express it. Just like others can express their opinions about some of the more dumbass opinions that go around this time of year.

ricepig

Quote from: HamSammich on April 16, 2017, 09:21:46 am
No, but saying the "offensive line sucks", the week after the same posters had said, "the defensive line sucks", doesn't render any credibility either. It's spring practice, if you've watched any of the other SEC teams games, or caught any of their PC's, we all suck. It's spring practice, that's all it is. We'll know a little about us the first game, and a whole lot more in week two. If some posters wish to get excited for the season, let them, what difference does it matter to you? They're fans, they want to see the good in the team, not be constantly told "that we suck".

Kevin

Then suddenly, he does.

it is spring, he made the decision, and told everyone. looks bad to change now, no matter the situation.

never make those bold punishments public, if in the end they don't get enforced.

it is a spring scrimmage, in which he sat ragnow. don't think it was that important to run Gibson with the ones. it is just a bad look
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ricepig

Quote from: Kevin on April 16, 2017, 10:15:00 am
it is spring, he made the decision, and told everyone. looks bad to change now, no matter the situation.

never make those bold punishments public, if in the end they don't get enforced.

it is a spring scrimmage, in which he sat ragnow. don't think it was that important to run Gibson with the ones. it is just a bad look

Looks bad?? Nah, what looks bad is to let guy's that beat women, never miss play.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Styflin on April 16, 2017, 12:09:42 am
I don't have an agenda against Coach and apparently I'm not smart enough to keep up. Here's to hoping the offensive line is a strong point this season. Cheers

Never stated YOU had the agenda....

reading comprehension.

tusksincolorado

oldhawg

Quote from: Kevin on April 16, 2017, 10:15:00 am

Bad look only to fans who want it to look bad.  Personally, regardless of what Bielema may have previously said, I think it is encouraging to see the young man work himself back into a competitive position.  Shows a bit of character on his part.

tusksincolorado

Then suddenly, he does.

Oh man!

I stated 1964 had an agenda which is very obvious...not Styflin.

And just to let folks know....CBB does not have to share internal decisions.

He deemed Gibson "fit" to rejoined the 1st team. In the meantime, Raulerson received valuable practice time with the 1st team! Seems to me that this was a "win, win" situation for the Razorbacks.

I'm just waiting for the next topic posted stating "we had a punter running though the gym naked...and some rocket scientist screaming that we have a "Baylor problem" on the Hill.