Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Post Spring SEC QB Power Rankings

Started by southeasthog, May 10, 2017, 03:48:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

southeasthog

1. Austin Allen, Arkansas

"This'll probably rile up the Crimson Tide fans but, let's be honest, Hurts had and continues to have a lot of help around him."

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/sec-qb-power-rankings-2017-spring-practice

Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

Al Boarland

Quote from: southeasthog on May 10, 2017, 03:48:19 am

"This'll probably rile up the Crimson Tide fans but, let's be honest, Hurts had and continues to have a lot of help around him."

We have a good one. That's for sure.

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: southeasthog on May 10, 2017, 03:48:19 am

Hurts is great at extending plays, but he hasn't demonstrated he can win with with the pass.  Clemson forced his hand, and he came up short.  He is just a freshman though.

MultipleScoreGasms

BTW, sorry to derail the thread.  AA is a good one.  Would love to see how far he could take a team that could create a short field with D, and surround him with offensive weapons.  Don't know how that will work out this year.

IMABIELEMA

Only part of the list I agree with is Austin at #1.   Stidham and Bentley should be in the elite category.  I can see why everyone likes Hurts but he wouldn't start at any other SEC school.  He can't pass downfield well at all.  Not a huge fan of the Miss State QB, but he is good not elite.

DeltaBoy

He a good kid but needs better protection this fall.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bphi11ips

Agree.  About time he is recognized for his talent. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: IMABIELEMA on May 10, 2017, 12:16:15 pm
Only part of the list I agree with is Austin at #1.   Stidham and Bentley should be in the elite category.  I can see why everyone likes Hurts but he wouldn't start at any other SEC school.  He can't pass downfield well at all.  Not a huge fan of the Miss State QB, but he is good not elite.
I think whats props up fitzgerald at Moo state is Dan Mullens ability to develop dual threat qb's. Dak wasn't the first, he was just the best
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

phadedhawg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 16, 2017, 10:20:31 am
He a good kid but needs better protection this fall.

yes sir...any improvement in protection will pay huge dividends

gmarv

AA is the best of the lot for sure.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: IMABIELEMA on May 10, 2017, 12:16:15 pm
as much as I am pulling for Austin Allen, I would not classify him as "elite" either. Dont get me wrong, he is good and the article points out the adversity he faced and how he kept his composure.  Its just that "elite" might be pushing it a bit.  Maybe its all relative in that as far as the SEC goes, he looks to be the best and therefore elite but I would not consider him an elite QB on a national scale--at least not yet. I am pleasantly surprised that he got that much love from someone ranking the SEC QBs.  Sure hope he has a great season.