Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UCLA's Ben Howland:Official Thread, All Thoughts, Discussion Here Please

Started by mmhogs17, March 19, 2011, 12:12:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mmhogs17

Sources say he may want out of UCLA, and SPORTSbyBROOKS said today Howland may be in the mix at Arkansas.

Born: May 28, 1957 (1957-05-28) (age 53)

Northern Arizona
1994:9-17(4-10)
1995:7-19(3-11)
1996:21-7(13-1) NCAA First Round
1997:21-8(12-2) NCAA First Round

1998:21-8(12-4)

Pittsburgh
1999:13-15(5-11)
2000:19-14(7-9) NIT Second Round
2001:29-6(13-3) NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2002:28-5(13-3) NCAA Sweet Sixteen

UCLA
2003:11-17(7-11)
2004:18-11(11-7) NCAA First Round
2005:32-7(14-4) NCAA Runner Up
2006:30-6(15-3) NCAA Final Four
2007:35-4(16-2) NCAA Final Four

2008:26-9(13-6) NCAA Second Round
2009:14-18(8-10)
2010:23-9(13-5) NCAA Second Round**

Overall Career Record:345-176(66%)
Career Conference Record:179-101
7 Conference Titles
5 Sweet Sixteens
3 Elite Eights
3 Final Fours
1 National Championship Game

**Current Season

Homerun?

rogersvillemohog

Wouldn't be a bad hire AT ALL.
Kinda under the radar. Don't know much about him, but it looks like he knows what he's doing.
I'm all for it.
:razorback: :razorback:
Arkansas Football: It's the players running through the A, Hog Hats, and Big Red. It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

Arkansas Football: It's the State of Arkansas banding together behind one team, and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are... chosen. They wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks.

Together we stand as tall as the towers of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walk. And our blood flows Razorbacks Red. For 100 years we've been Hogwild and today we continue the tradition.

We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Ugly Uncle

Is this the possible silent name that no one has been talking about?  I'm clueless and confused.
Retired Radio Host

High Octane Hog

Ugly Uncle

Did his time at Pitt overlap with Jeff's?  It would have been short if so, but I bet they did/do know each other.
Retired Radio Host

JONAS

High Octane Hog

A possible scenario would be Larry Brown to UCLA and Ben Howland to Arkansas......

rogersvillemohog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on March 19, 2011, 12:34:42 am
Did his time at Pitt overlap with Jeff's?  It would have been short if so, but I bet they did/do know each other.
If I'm not mistaken, JL was post hiring of Dixon, so to answer your question, no.
Arkansas Football: It's the players running through the A, Hog Hats, and Big Red. It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

Arkansas Football: It's the State of Arkansas banding together behind one team, and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are... chosen. They wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks.

Together we stand as tall as the towers of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walk. And our blood flows Razorbacks Red. For 100 years we've been Hogwild and today we continue the tradition.

mmhogs17

"UCLA bears watching. Even after DePaul debacle, Howland continues to make it known to people that he'd move for a job. People are connecting Arkansas AD Jeff Long (former Pitt AD) to Howland but I haven't confirmed that there's anything to that"

From SportsbyBrooks

mmhogs17

Quote from: High Octane Hog on March 19, 2011, 12:32:54 am
I am glad you started this thread.

Well, there was one for every coach on god's green earth, so why not? Haha.

rogersvillemohog

Howland hire = Petrino hire?
But my question is, how much is he getting at UCLA? JL's made it clear that he won't pay a basketball coach more than Petrino.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 19, 2011, 12:38:37 am
Well, there was one for every coach on god's green earth, so why not? Haha.

Yeah, but this one isn't just out of the blue.  There are people that have brought this up.  This is a good thread and might be a real possibility.  Again, I have no clue, but I wouldn't hate this hire.  Would love it actually.
Retired Radio Host

mmhogs17

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on March 19, 2011, 12:40:28 am
Yeah, but this one isn't just out of the blue.  There are people that have brought this up.  This is a good thread and might be a real possibility.  Again, I have no clue, but I wouldn't hate this hire.  Would love it actually.

I know this could be something, but I don't know. I'm with you, Would be a awesome hire. Great recruiter also.

rogersvillemohog

Tony Perkis

mmhogs17

Quote from: rogersvillemohog on March 19, 2011, 12:40:02 am
Howland hire = Petrino hire?
But my question is, how much is he getting at UCLA? JL's made it clear that he won't pay a basketball coach more than Petrino.

I googled, and found this.

http://www.therichest.org/sports/highest-paid-college-basketball-coaches/

2 Million Per

mmhogs17

Spider-Pig

Have a hard time believing this one

Howland will be available after tomorrow when Florida spanks UCLA (again)

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Oliver

Quote from: Lanny on March 19, 2011, 06:59:50 am
Pay attention to this coach

I hope to be for the next 5 to 7 years or so.  He's the best candidate out there maybe outside of Self.

edt

firejunky

My "source" told me a couple of days ago that this is our guy.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.

The Truth

If Long orchestrates this hire, it will be an absolute masterpiece.

WPS!
The Truth hurts.

wildcathawg

ben howland is not leaving the # 2 most prestigious coaching job in the country, especially after winning a tourney game.

linuspfs

Great coach.  He's where Jamie Dixon learned.  Not sure how much possibility there is of this.  But, it's definitely a homerun.
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

chortle

PorcineSublime

Quote from: wildcathawg on March 19, 2011, 08:42:35 am
ben howland is not leaving the # 2 most prestigious coaching job in the country, especially after winning a tourney game.
So if we assume that Duke is No 1, you are placing UCLA above NC, KY, and Kansas? Wow, very interesting take.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Boarford T. Justice

#FreeMarquel

mmhogs17

Quote from: wildcathawg on March 19, 2011, 08:42:35 am

Multiple sources disagree.

Billy Bayou

jbcarol

QuoteUCLA player press conference had no one there. Finally got three media members to come in the room.

-- Larry Vaught

Underappreciated, much?
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

ballhog™

Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

bosshog84

This is a name that I haven't thought about.  An experienced coach who went to 3 consecutive final fours with UCLA.  This would be an excellent hire!  Great coach!

Hugo Bezdek

There doesn't have to be overlap for them to know some of the same people. Howland also has Weber State ties which don't directly overlap with Petrino or John L. but again they probably know some of the same people.

Howland would be huge win for Arkansas in my opinion.

firejunky

It looks like there is 4 or 5 years left on his contract. Does anyone know what his buyout would be\?
A closed mouth gathers no feet.

ChicoHog

The problem with UCLA, as with most west coast schools (mainly California), is lack of fan passion unless you are constantly winning. Plus the Lakers rule LA and California is a professional sports state.  USC football is fairly popular only because LA has no professional team and they win a lot.  Even when the Bruins went to 3 straight final fours a couple of years ago they did not consistently sell out.  Too many people from other states, other countries to have that continual support and passion that you see in the south or mid-west.    I would love to have Howland come to Arkansas.  that would be a home run!

jbcarol

There are pros and cons with this.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Divot

While it's probably not likely, don't underestimate this move. Unpredictable moves do happen: Petrino, Saban, Tubby from UK to Minny, Alford from Iowa to New Mexico, etc.

Yes, there's always a story behind it but we usually don't know the story until after the fact, not before.

Marat

Quote from: PorcineSublime on March 19, 2011, 08:58:56 am
So if we assume that Duke is No 1, you are placing UCLA above NC, KY, and Kansas? Wow, very interesting take.

ESPN All Time College Basketball Rankings
assets.espn.go.com/photo/2009/1004/cbe1.pdf

mmhogs17

Pigneous Rock

I would want out of LA too. I moved out there a few ago...for 2 months. I couldn't breathe that nasty air and I didn't like it taking me 1 hour to drive 4 miles.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: Marat on March 19, 2011, 12:26:56 pm
ESPN All Time College Basketball Rankings
assets.espn.go.com/photo/2009/1004/cbe1.pdf
So I now know what you were basing it on. When I was thinking prestigious jobs, I wasn't thinking of wins in the last 75 years. I apologize on misunderstanding your point. I was thinking prestigious as in current top programs and I just don't see them as a current top program. However if I were to be honest, our last glory days was around the same time as theirs. At least they have visited the NCAA's the last few years. Bottom line is that he would be good hire and you never know till you ask.

Break & Run

Quote from: PorcineSublime on March 19, 2011, 01:13:34 pm
So I now know what you were basing it on. When I was thinking prestigious jobs, I wasn't thinking of wins in the last 75 years. I apologize on misunderstanding your point. I was thinking prestigious as in current top programs and I just don't see them as a current top program. However if I were to be honest, our last glory days was around the same time as theirs. At least they have visited the NCAA's the last few years. Bottom line is that he would be good hire and you never know till you ask.

Except UCLA went to 3 consecutive Final Four's from 05-07...
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

PorcineSublime

Quote from: THE BAND GEEK on March 19, 2011, 01:21:49 pm
Except UCLA went to 3 consecutive Final Four's from 05-07...
Point taken, consider me corrected. ;D I still would argue that few would consider UCLA more prestigious at this point in history than Duke. That was my point before I picked up a shovel and started digging myself a hole.

jbcarol

Break & Run

Quote from: PorcineSublime on March 19, 2011, 01:30:15 pm
Point taken, consider me corrected. ;D I still would argue that few would consider UCLA more prestigious at this point in history than Duke. That was my point before I picked up a shovel and started digging myself a hole.

Take John Wooden out of the woodworks of UCLA basketball history and I wouldn't consider them a Top 20 all-time basketball school.  I would consider them up there with Duke, UNC, UK, IU and even Illini though...
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

mmhogs17

Billy Bayou

Even with their final fours and 95 NC since Wooden, if I recall correctly, UCLA has chewed up and spit out every coach that has been there since Wooden.

It would not be surprising at all that Howland might want out.  Eventually, UCLA might just find it tough to get a coach besides an up and comer.