Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'14-'17 Mike Anderson Better Than Late '90s Nolan?

Started by edemire, March 10, 2017, 07:57:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

edemire

His 2014-15, 2015-16 and 2016-17 teams have produced the program's best three-year winning percentage since the mid 1990s.

Below are the total records for the Hogs over the last three regular and postseasons.

2016-17: 23-8  (12-6 SEC)

2015-16: 16-16 (9-9)

2014-15:  27-9  (13-5)

Overall winning %: 66.7%

The last time Arkansas produced a winning percentage over a three-year span at 66.7% or higher was 1994-1997 (i.e. the national runner-up and Sweet 16 appearance years):

1996-97: 18-14 (8-8)

1995-96: 20-13 (9-7)

1994-95: 32-7 (12-4)

Overall winning %: 67.3%

More at:
http://onlyinark.com/sports/mike-anderson-has-delivered/

Of course, late 90's Nolan was still putting his teams annually into the NCAA Tournament, even if they never again broke into the third round or higher. We'll see if Anderson starts doing the same, though it's hard to argue he's now firmly established that expectation with this season and the recruiting classes he has coming in.

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes."
-Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

NuttinItUp

latrops

Better?  I wouldn't say that because we at least knew Nolan had it in him to get to the Final 4 and even win it...though things certainly seemed to have slipped toward the end.   CMA hasn't yet built things up to where we are almost sure to make the tournament every year, and his ceiling may not be as high as Nolan's.  We missed last year, there were times this year we were questionable to make it, and we certainly aren't a lock next year with replacing Hannahs and Kingsley, though projected returning players and incoming freshmen look promising.

jesterzzn

Well, if you needed any proof statistics lack nuance, we thank you for this thread.

94-95 Top 2 finish, then a decent year in 95-96 followed by NCAA sabotage.  Not really comparable situations, but I guess similar numbers when aggregated. 

I mean the last three years have been decent.  This year still has the opportunity to be special.  In other words, its still too early.  Let's see how they finish. 

I am hoping we go to Tulsa, cause if we do I'll be able to watch them live.

Rawker

Quote from: jesterzzn on March 10, 2017, 06:28:52 pm
Well, if you needed any proof statistics lack nuance, we thank you for this thread.

94-95 Top 2 finish, then a decent year in 95-96 followed by NCAA sabotage.  Not really comparable situations, but I guess similar numbers when aggregated. 

I mean the last three years have been decent.  This year still has the opportunity to be special.  In other words, its still too early.  Let's see how they finish. 

I am hoping we go to Tulsa, cause if we do I'll be able to watch them live.

I'll agree with the OPs point that I think you missed.  You're making a different comparison.  You're comparing those 2 3-year spans, and that's not the OP's point. His stat points out that this is the best 3-year span SINCE...SINCE those three years, which denotes a comparison to the 20 years AFTER those three. 27 and 24(at least) win seasons out of 3 is better than anything since 97.

3kgthog

Well, it wouldn't take much to be the best three year span since the late 90s. Come on, man. All this celebration and we're still a distant third place in the league.

I'll celebrate when we're back on top, putting Florida back in their place, and actually giving Kentucky a good game on a Sunday in the SECT.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 11, 2017, 12:47:41 am
Well, it wouldn't take much to be the best three year span since the late 90s. Come on, man. All this celebration and we're still a distant third place in the league.

I'll celebrate when we're back on top, putting Florida back in their place, and actually giving Kentucky a good game on a Sunday in the SECT.

You can't get happy about the rise of the program from a self imposed death penalty?

Biggus Piggus

MA has had better big men than Nolan did in his latter years. No doubt.
[CENSORED]!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 11, 2017, 01:21:02 am
MA has had better big men than Nolan did in his latter years. No doubt.

Yep and more on the way.

Given his track record ain't UAB and Missouri, this surprises the heck out of me.

razorsharp94

Since Portis' freshman year Arkansas has posted a better record than Pat Bradley, Kareem Reid, and Derek Hood did while in school.

The_Iceman

The_Iceman

Quote from: razorsharp94 on March 11, 2017, 05:24:37 am
Since Portis' freshman year Arkansas has posted a better record than Pat Bradley, Kareem Reid, and Derek Hood did while in school.

Those teams went to the Sweet 16 and the 2nd Round twice.

Let's not get carried away with these stats and forget context. What were the strength of schedules of those teams vs ours?