Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Norvell, Arkansas connections!

Started by Ghost Writer in the Sty, November 08, 2017, 10:53:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost Writer in the Sty

Current University of Memphis coach Mike Norvell is maybe the hottest coaching candidate presumed to be available to major schools searching for a new HC.  Tennessee and Florida are rumored to be interested among others.  He has an innovative offensive mind and turns out high scoring but also winning teams.  He is 37 years of age.

He played in college for four years at Central Ark in Conway where he was/is the school's all time reception leader.  His wife Maria Chiolino Norvell is a native of Ft. Smith Ark.  They apparently have a vacation place on Beaver Lake.

With these connections, U of A has an advantage against Tenn, Fla and others. The U of A should act quickly to sew this guy up before another SEC team does.

DeltaBoy

If we don't get him we will be in worse shape.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Ā 

Razorbackers

Wait, you're telling me the hc at Memphis is from Arkansas?

How have we not been informed of this?

GoPigs69

Quote from: Ghost Writer in the Sty on November 08, 2017, 10:53:48 am
Current University of Memphis coach Mike Norvell is maybe the hottest coaching candidate presumed to be available to major schools searching for a new HC.  Tennessee and Florida are rumored to be interested among others.  He has an innovative offensive mind and turns out high scoring but also winning teams.  He is 37 years of age.

He played in college for four years at Central Ark in Conway where he was/is the school's all time reception leader.  His wife Maria Chiolino Norvell is a native of Ft. Smith Ark.  They apparently have a vacation place on Beaver Lake.

With these connections, U of A has an advantage against Tenn, Fla and others. The U of A should act quickly to sew this guy up before another SEC team does.

Wow what an original compelling argument.  This has only been repeated about TWO HUNDRED times on here.

BigK_HogHeaven

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 08, 2017, 10:55:52 am

It's news to me!!!!! I had no clue! ???

Razorbackers

Tusks

He's not FROM Arkansas, he's from Dallas.  Which is just another reason to get this guy hired.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 08, 2017, 10:55:52 am

I'm pretty sure he's from Texas but he certainly has some nice AR connections.

ipigsooie

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on November 08, 2017, 11:00:31 am
I'm pretty sure he's from Texas but he certainly has some nice AR connections.

If it's like it is in my family, he may be from Texas but his wife is from arkansas and that's really all that matters.

Tusks

You know all the BB lovers need to get a room and stop trashing all the threads.

Look your guy is going down in flames in a historic manner.  You got nothing.  Take your nothing and go away.

hogsanity

Who is this Mike Norvell, where is this Memphis, and why are we just now hearing about him?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: tusked on November 08, 2017, 11:06:31 am
You know all the BB lovers need to get a room and stop trashing all the threads.

Look your guy is going down in flames in a historic manner.  You got nothing.  Take your nothing and go away.

Bielemers are living in your head rent free. Nobody said anything about him until you.

Tusks

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on November 08, 2017, 11:14:08 am
Bielemers are living in your head rent free. Nobody said anything about him until you.

And yet here you are.

Ā 

code red

Would be better than what we got.  But, timing is everything.  And....a bidding war for sure.  Gus gone, Sumlin gone, Butch gone...I am sure he has already been contacted with hopes of being in place for the early signing period.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

BearsBisonsBoars

November 08, 2017, 11:30:36 am #14 Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 12:02:22 pm by BearsBisonsBoars
Quote from: tusked on November 08, 2017, 11:25:25 am
And yet here you are.

Still jumping at shadows. I've been prerty vocal about how he needs to go.

Seebs

I thought Dana Kirk coached Memphis?  When did this happen?
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Tusks

The 'pick' for Norvell will be between AR and TN.  My brother graduated from TN and I've been in that stadium a hundred times.  It's no where close to a slam dunk that TN is a better job.  It very comparable to the UA job.  It depends on a lot of things and I can see a HC picking the hogs over the vols 4 to 5 out of 10 times.

hogblitz

I live in the Memphis Area.  There is a whole lot of chatter about the speech he gave yesterday at the TD Club in Memphis.  As in chatter, I mean that in a extremely positive way.  Many are saying if other schools would have had their AD's in attendance, they would have tried to hire him on the spot.  I do believe if we are smart enough to offer Norvell, he will take it.  Some over here think Arkansas is in the lead and have thought so before the season even started.

Tusks

Quote from: hogblitz on November 08, 2017, 11:39:11 am
I live in the Memphis Area.  There is a whole lot of chatter about the speech he gave yesterday at the TD Club in Memphis.  As in chatter, I mean that in a extremely positive way.  Many are saying if other schools would have had their AD's in attendance, they would have tried to hire him on the spot.  I do believe if we are smart enough to offer Norvell, he will take it.  Some over here think Arkansas is in the lead and have thought so before the season even started.

The part of your comment that gives me the most pause, "if we are smart enough to offer Norvell".  I don't think the PTB are.

AFWarrior83

Time to hire a fellow Arkansan again that is familiar with the state and has recruiting ties to the surrounding areas. HDN was an average coach, but he did well here...I think Norvell can do better!

JL needs to get Norvell's agent on the phone and work something out behind the scenes until after the season is over, so we can fire B.B. without paying him the bigger buyout.
Hogville member since 2005.

hogblitz

Quote from: tusked on November 08, 2017, 11:43:49 am

The part of your comment that gives me the most pause, "if we are smart enough to offer Norvell".  I don't think the PTB are.
All we can do is hope they are!! LOL

Tusks

Quote from: hogblitz on November 08, 2017, 11:47:17 am
All we can do is hope they are!! LOL

If the JL lovers that pepper the board are any indication of 'smarts', then there is no hope.

hogsanity

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on November 08, 2017, 11:44:36 am
Time to hire a fellow Arkansan again that is familiar with the state and has recruiting ties to the surrounding areas. HDN was an average coach, but he did well here...I think Norvell can do better!

Well, that rules Norvell out. He is a Texan not an Arkansan.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Ghost Writer in the Sty

Quote from: hogsanity on November 08, 2017, 11:51:03 am

Actually, being from Texas is probably a recruiting advantage. 

Ā 

Tusks

If he's married into the family then he's part Arkansan.

southeasthog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 06, 2017, 12:37:02 pmNorvell is not coming to Arkansas given his likely options. He'd be beyond stupid to do so. If he comes to Arkansas, we'll know that he is not very intelligent.   

Here is HiM's opinion on Norvell.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

ricepig

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 08, 2017, 10:54:40 am
If we don't get him we will be in worse shape.

What if we get GRUDEN instead???

The Kig

Quote from: code red on November 08, 2017, 11:25:38 am
Would be better than what we got.  But, timing is everything.  And....a bidding war for sure.  Gus gone, Sumlin gone, Butch gone...I am sure he has already been contacted with hopes of being in place for the early signing period.

Exactly.  He's about to win the lottery... Not sure how big a factor going to UCA or having a wife from AR is going play.  I was raised in AR, my wife was born there...we don't live there now and unless some major genomic research centers crop up aren't likely to move back.  Point is, you go where the money is...

Even if the money were equal, the playing field isn't.  If we want him, gonna have to have the bankroll to play at the high stakes table. 
Poker Porker

Born:  Irving, Texas
College:  UCA from 01 thru 05 WR set all time reception record
Grad Assistant at UCA in 06
07 thru 10, Tulsa assistant coach
11 Pitt Co offensive coordinator
12 thru 13, AZ St. OC coached QBs
14 and 15, AZ assistant HC
15 & 16, HC Memphis

I believe this is accurate.  Current base salary 1.86 million

Tusks

Tusks

ipigsooie

Quote from: tusked on November 08, 2017, 11:32:16 am
The 'pick' for Norvell will be between AR and TN.  My brother graduated from TN and I've been in that stadium a hundred times.  It's no where close to a slam dunk that TN is a better job.  It very comparable to the UA job.  It depends on a lot of things and I can see a HC picking the hogs over the vols 4 to 5 out of 10 times.

Not mention the fact that their fans seem sold on the fact that they are hiring Gruden. Anyone else will be a severe dissappoinment.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jkstock04

Quote from: tusked on November 08, 2017, 11:06:31 am

Not everyone, but most of the people who bash the idea are simply jaded because their hero Bielema is the biggest bust in razorback history.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

The_Iceman

Hey, great idea. If you capitalize his name, that will make it worth of starting another thread about him. Great job!

SPAL

Is he a current head coach somewhere?

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

hehawg

Quote from: 12247 on November 08, 2017, 12:02:46 pm
Born:  Irving, Texas
College:  UCA from 01 thru 05 WR set all time reception record
Grad Assistant at UCA in 06
07 thru 10, Tulsa assistant coach
11 Pitt Co offensive coordinator
12 thru 13, AZ St. OC coached QBs
14 and 15, AZ assistant HC
15 & 16, HC Memphis

I believe this is accurate.  Current base salary 1.86 million

Google is works wonders
#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

AFWarrior83

Even better! A Texan with Arkansas connections.
Hogville member since 2005.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: Ghost Writer in the Sty on November 08, 2017, 10:53:48 am

We know

Razorbackers

Never heard of him. Does he have any ties to Arkansas? Maybe a wife?

snoblind

Wow.  Thanks for the info.  Can't believe no one had mentioned or posted a thread about him until now.

I've known Kathy and Mike since the 70's.  Didn't realize their son in-law was a coach.

Edit: Just realized this got moved to the correct forum while I was posting.  You need to start another one in MMQB so no one misses this information.

prattville pig

man, wouldn't it be cool to have a gangsta coach!!!
Life's too short to last long.

Matt Burks

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DeltaBoy

If you can properly recruit DFW and Memphis plus instate and some LA kids from around Baton Rouge you can build a salty team . Look at what Patterson done at TCU!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 08, 2017, 01:40:04 pm
So he had corn rolls in college, big deal.

No problem with it.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 08, 2017, 01:40:04 pm
So he had corn rolls in college, big deal.
Let me demonstrate the difference between corn rolls and corn rows  ;D

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on November 08, 2017, 11:14:08 am

Wait a minute.!?!? Why did you just smash his head in with that Truth-ball bat.!??
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.