Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Summer Ball

Started by theanswer, June 23, 2012, 09:05:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

theanswer

Is there anywhere that lists where our guys are going to play this summer? I know Stanek is with Team USA and Fico is in the Cape, just wondering about the other guys. Thx

hillbilly

Wise is going to the Cape.

Sueie

Ramirez is in Las Vegas
Spoon is in Alaska
Oliver is in Ohio
Gunn is in Northwoods

Not sure on Serrano, Anderson, and Costello

dotnet

I bet there are some people trying to get Anderson and Serrano into the cape after the way they played the last monthish against top pitching.

There may be a slot that opens up for them if more people sign.

PorcineSublime

Is Vinson staying with the team or is he going to try to sign as a free agent with someone? I know he has issues with his bat, but he is a top level OF if someone could teach him some plate presence. I would love to see him get some top notch hitting coaching this summer and see if he could contribute as a senior.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

bsking

Quote from: PorcineSublime on June 24, 2012, 08:53:05 am
Is Vinson staying with the team or is he going to try to sign as a free agent with someone? I know he has issues with his bat, but he is a top level OF if someone could teach him some plate presence. I would love to see him get some top notch hitting coaching this summer and see if he could contribute as a senior.

Vinson will not be returning.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: bsking on June 24, 2012, 09:49:15 am
Maybe best. We have some promising players that need a spot to play. I guess he had his chances, but boy could that kid play the field.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

jry04

Quote from: bsking on June 24, 2012, 09:49:15 am
Is this a guess, or definitely happening?

I was hoping he would finally figure it out coming into next season. He started hitting a little better towards the end of the season. I don't blame him, though. If he were to come back and didn't get things figured out at the plate he wouldn't have a spot on the field.

Scott7703

Quote from: Sueie on June 24, 2012, 07:44:42 am
Ramirez is in Las Vegas
Spoon is in Alaska
Oliver is in Ohio
Gunn is in Northwoods

Not sure on Serrano, Anderson, and Costello

Anything on Masters or Reeves? I'm hoping for big years next year out of both.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: dotnet on June 24, 2012, 08:19:50 am
I bet there are some people trying to get Anderson and Serrano into the cape after the way they played the last monthish against top pitching.

There may be a slot that opens up for them if more people sign.
Shouldn't there be spots open up in the Cape because of guys playing with team USA? If there are open spots I would expect Anderson and Serrano to be playing in the Cape.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Kevin

when will the players who were in omaha, head to their teams?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Sueie

Within the next week.

Bosshog479

Vinson is returning and will be going back to the Alaskan.

elksnort

Who will likely be playing 3rd, short stop and 2nd next year?

I'm not knowledgeable about the backs ups.

dotnet

Quote from: elksnort on June 26, 2012, 12:52:17 pm
Who will likely be playing 3rd, short stop and 2nd next year?

I'm not knowledgeable about the backs ups.

Look at the 2013 lineup thread.  there are a lot of options - depending on who can hit and who can handle the positions defensively.  Everyone on the team (almost) was a middle infielder in high school.  Its just about who can handle that in the SEC and hit.

Kevin

stanek starts friday for team usa
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Triple T

http://www.hognation.net/summer.html

This seems to be the most up to date information.

Sueie

Quote from: Triple T on June 26, 2012, 04:36:35 pm

REMEMBER the name Parker Gibson.  This kid can fly around the bases.  In my opinion should start in one of the outfield spots next year.  With him, Morris and another one with speed the fly balls will be just long outs.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Sueie on June 26, 2012, 07:01:45 pm
REMEMBER the name Parker Gibson.  This kid can fly around the bases.  In my opinion should start in one of the outfield spots next year.  With him, Morris and another one with speed the fly balls will be just long outs.
Is he Tanner English fast?
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Sueie

Not sure. 
BUT he has been to IHOP and ate Pancakes before if that counts for anything.  :puke:

Hogtropolis™

Why must I keep posting this in multiple threads? Vinson will be back next year and as bosshog stated, he'll be playing in Alaska this summer again. He really enjoyed his time out there last summer.

Kevin

in 17 games, parker gibson is hitting .296 with 13 stolen bases

Sueie

Quote from: Triple T on June 26, 2012, 04:36:35 pm

Needs a few updates.  Why are they listing "former hogs"?

Suidae Suis Scrofa

This is an interesting thread.  It got me wondering more about the Summer leagues, which I know nothing about.  I found this thread at another forum which has some good info on Summer leagues.

http://www.thisboardrocks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177068

-phil

jry04

Quote from: Sueie on June 26, 2012, 07:01:45 pm
I don't know anything about Parker, but there will be one less spot available if we land McClure. I think Morris and McClure start from day one. If Anderson isn't moved then our outfield is set. If Anderson does play infield then there will be about 5 legit candidates fighting over the final spot.

trippigs

My wife and I had the pleasure of watching some Cape Cod League ball in summer 2010...it is high end college baseball. Nice comfortable atmosphere and the games are free.

Kevin

Kameron Walker (17 games) .291 3 hrs 11 rbi

playing for the orange county pioneers

Kevin

June 27, 2012, 11:57:22 am #27 Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 12:16:23 pm by Kevin
jackson Lowery (wisconsin woodchucks)   19.2innings       4.12 era

Brian Heldman (Battle Creek) 13.1 innings      1.35 era

jean Rameriz (las vegas) 14 games, 333 average, 24 ab's, 1 hr, 10 rbi, 10 walks, 10 k's

jon woodcock (joplin) 4 games, 17.1 innings, 2-0, .52 era

tyler spoon (alaska Glacier pilots) 7 games, .182, 1 hr, 3 rbi

eric fisher (conejo oaks, CA) 18 games, .303, 12 rbi

johnny tolson (alexandria beetles) 19 games, .228, 2hr, 9 rbi

drizzle

Quote from: Sueie on June 27, 2012, 06:59:23 am
Needs a few updates.  Why are they listing "former hogs"?

Not to speak too much for the keeper(s) of that site, or insinuate that you think negatively of it, but prior to the recent changes in transfer rules for baseball it wasn't uncommon to have players kind of filter in and out of programs. Those fans who got to know the players to any extent, especially the ones who would tailgate by the entrance and every so often get to cook for the team, have gotten to the point where they want to keep up with everyone they've met, including those who have transferred away.

Baseball has always kind of been a more laid back, friendly atmosphere, and we have always wished well on those who transferred elsewhere just like those who transferred to us. This lets us follow them a little more easily.

Sueie

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on June 27, 2012, 11:02:51 am
I don't know anything about Parker, but there will be one less spot available if we land McClure. I think Morris and McClure start from day one. If Anderson isn't moved then our outfield is set. If Anderson does play infield then there will be about 5 legit candidates fighting over the final spot.

If he was as good as advertised. WHY would he be paying money to a team for summer ball?  Even the summer coach recommend him go to the pro's and get better with the bat. I hope he shows up on campus but I still say he is bluffing.  For a 6th rounder (I think that is right) he is not going to be getting a million signing bonus.  How much did Reynolds get with 3 years of SEC experience?

ucahogfan

Quote from: Sueie on June 27, 2012, 02:48:31 pm
If he was as good as advertised. WHY would he be paying money to a team for summer ball?  Even the summer coach recommend him go to the pro's and get better with the bat. I hope he shows up on campus but I still say he is bluffing.  For a 6th rounder (I think that is right) he is not going to be getting a million signing bonus.  How much did Reynolds get with 3 years of SEC experience?
Reynolds only had one more year left before he had absolutely had to sign a pro contract so he went ahead and did it.  McClure has the option of going to college for 3 years and improving his stock and being a 1st rounder in 2015 for a 7 figure bonus anyway.  He was a 4th round pick and Buttrey got 7 figures as a 4th rounder as well.  McClure needs to stick to his figure and make it to campus.

Sueie

That might be true.   But it is also not a guarantee that he will be drafted any higher in 2015.  If they offered him 850,000 already. We are only talking about 150,000 here.  If he was to drop to the 6-8 round as a junior in 3 years.  How much do you htink he would be offered?

Like I said I hope he comes to campus but I still say he is bluffing.  He is not going to risk falling in the draft in 3 years.  In a few weeks we will find out though.

dotnet

there are players better than McClure who were drafted after him.  There are players who are worse thank McClure who were drafted before him.  Any "advisor" worth anything will not let his draft slot effect the figure he'll sign for.

jry04

Quote from: Sueie on June 27, 2012, 03:17:14 pm
That might be true.   But it is also not a guarantee that he will be drafted any higher in 2015.  If they offered him 850,000 already. We are only talking about 150,000 here.  If he was to drop to the 6-8 round as a junior in 3 years.  How much do you htink he would be offered?

Like I said I hope he comes to campus but I still say he is bluffing.  He is not going to risk falling in the draft in 3 years.  In a few weeks we will find out though.
I would bet money he does not fall down that much. His potential alone makes him a top 5 round draft prospect.

Van Horn said himself he has never had a player come to campus that was drafted out of high school leave making less money than they were originally offered.

dotnet

Quote from: Sueie on June 27, 2012, 03:17:14 pm

Right, but its the question every kid has to answer no matter how good he is or where he is drafted.  Is the potential upside of getting drafted higher, and the probability that happens, worth the risk of poor performance or injury and gettign drafted at the same spot or lower?

Cox and Eibner were both drafted really high out of school (or could have been) and both made a fantastic financial decision to play at Arkasnas. 

Stanek looks to be the same.  Anderson and Serrano (though much further away and still with a share of risk) look to be the same as well. 

I can't remember the last top draft pick Arkansas got to campus that didnt' improve their draft stock?  But I'm sure that happens too.

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 27, 2012, 03:24:36 pm
I can't remember the last top draft pick Arkansas got to campus that didnt' improve their draft stock?  But I'm sure that happens too.
There are 2 that I can think of, but it would be hard to argue that their draft stock truly fell that much:

- Randall Fant went from 21st round in 2009 to 29th round this year
- Jacob Morris went from 35th round in 2009 to 37th round this year

Many more examples of draft stock rising a ton instead of falling.

dotnet

Morris shouldn't count to me becuase he was injured.  But Fant is an example.  If Morris comes back and hits 280-300 (like I want and think will happen), his draft slot will definitely improve.

bsking

McClure fell because of sign ability, period.  He was drafted on athleticism and potential, he'll still have all that in 3 years.  He could come to the SEC and rake and jump into the top 10 and make several million.