Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wow Andy Kennedy blowing up in the Post game

Started by checkraiser88, February 13, 2018, 10:41:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: hoglady on February 14, 2018, 08:10:33 am
I listened to Kennedy on the sideline - "play hard", "defend", we need "energy", "play fast".
Pretty much the same words that Anderson gets crucified for by many on this board, game after game.

Might that be why he is gone at the end of the season?

I'm proud of our guys for winning last night. Good, much-needed road win.

WPS

Next1_04

Quote from: azhog10 on February 14, 2018, 11:29:34 am
Yet this wasn't your reaction.....So if he hit it on the head then what the hell was all the shiite you wrote about?

Ding Ding Ding! What do we have for him Johnny!?

Kevin

the press conference was truthful. but in today's world, you can tell the truth, it might heard someone's feelings.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

pghawg1

It is a shame, whether some of you like Anderson or not EVERYBODY should be proud that the HOGS won at a place that has given us problems in the past going back to NOLAN's days here.

rljjr

Quote from: pghawg1 on February 14, 2018, 02:31:37 pm
It is a shame, whether some of you like Anderson or not EVERYBODY should be proud that the HOGS won at a place that has given us problems in the past going back to NOLAN's days here.

Never was more happy when they moved out of the Tad Pad. That place gave us fits. The Pavilion is a more friendly environment. We can win there more regularly it seems.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: hogsanity on February 14, 2018, 11:06:04 am
The proper reaction to a game like last night is " hey, the better team won, the Hogs were the better team and did what they were supposed to do ".

The proper response to beating A&M or Auburn would be, " heck yea, Hogs just beat a really good team and got a really good win ".

So, there is a NEEDED negative response every time someone is happy the Hogs won and they don't throw up the tag line "but...we were SUPPOSE to win so oh well..."

Why Hog fans can't just be happy for wins anymore without people like y'all making sure that no one celebrates beyond what they SHOULD celebrate is just ridiculous.

I know you don't like mike. I'm not even crazy about him. But I love watching us win vs teams were suppose to and not suppose to. So I guess you're just gonna have your hands full monitoring big fans celebrations then.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

ShadowHawg

What I would like to see in this forum is the disappearance of obvious coach haters trying to define when and how fans should celebrate a win.

Ice and Hogsanity are ridiculous in this regard.

Swinesong1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 14, 2018, 04:03:58 pm
What I would like to see in this forum is the disappearance of obvious coach haters trying to define when and how fans should celebrate a win.

Ice and Hogsanity are ridiculous in this regard.
Iceman suffers from multiple personalities.  He has fluctuated wildly for a few years now.  He'll be the #1 fan in here until something goes wrong.  Then, Mike Anderson is the worst coach and recruiter ever.  It's hilarious to me!
Hogsanity has yet to get over a black coach at "his" school.  Lol

raz1965

Any win is a good win , the way I see it , if someone says you was suppose to win then I guess they recognize that your a pretty good team.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: The Boar War on February 14, 2018, 08:09:43 am
On the other hand we have fans who look for any reason to be upset after a double digit conference road win.  I wish it were laughable.

How anyone is unhappy with this win is beyond me. On a night where Barford and Macon were not on their game we won easily. Hall and Osabuohien played very well and Gafford was great. We won with other players contributing. We need Hall-Jones-Gabe O and others to continue to step up. Just a lot of positive things last night. I like Thompson playing with Gafford he's a great passer and can get it to him.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: sadhogfan on February 14, 2018, 09:07:06 am
We won a road game, by double digits, with Barford and Macon combining for 17 points. If you want to claim that this is meaningless for THIS team, you are being intellectually dishonest.

Bingo.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 14, 2018, 07:30:13 pm
How anyone is unhappy with this win is beyond me. On a night where Barford and Macon were not on their game we won easily. Hall and Osabuohien played very well and Gafford was great. We won with other players contributing. We need Hall-Jones-Gabe O and others to continue to step up. Just a lot of positive things last night. I like Thompson playing with Gafford he's a great passer and can get it to him.

It's not necessarily that they are unhappy, but they DO feel the need make sure anyone who the deem is celebrating TOO much is "put in their place" which is equally absurd.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

tennesseehogwild

Quote from: Kevin on February 14, 2018, 12:23:09 pm
the press conference was truthful. but in today's world, you can tell the truth, it might heard someone's feelings.

Agreed! Kennedy tried his best to motivate in the timeouts, I thought.

popcornhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 14, 2018, 07:06:20 am
We played a 11-15 team whose coach and players have all quit on the season, and we have fans wanting to throw a parade after the win. Laughable.

Which fans want a parade? That's dumb.
WPS

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: popcornhog on February 14, 2018, 10:12:16 pm
Which fans want a parade? That's dumb.

Their need to exaggerate tells me everything I need to know. Hog fans are happy for the win and they say we're throwing a parade. Smh...

swineology

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on February 14, 2018, 07:58:20 am
I actually liked Kennedy's tirade. Dude showed fire and it looked like he was coaching his ass off last night. His guys quit and Kennedy pointed it out with passion.  Kudos to him.

AK auditioning for a CUSA job.

He don't give a F$%K about the Black Bears

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on February 14, 2018, 10:22:47 am
Two pages and not a single link. Jesus, guys. #LearntoOP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG4Yeiu_j30

Also, Andy Kennedy wasnt "throwing kids under the bus left and right" as much as he KEPT IT REAL> I dont blame him one bit.

Reminds me of my dude's speech "My grandparents came over on that ship..."

I have always hated Ole Miss. I will continue to hate Ole Miss. Literal hate...they are all raging douchebags....and I have never cared for Andy Kennedy. I have wanted to open hand slap Andy Kennedy on occasion....not anymore, he earned my respect with that press conference. Totally.

He didn't throw anyone under the bus but himself. He talked about having some pride for something...just pick something and play for pride. He talked about a soft society nowdays...all points are true.

Hell, he even called Bob Holt a bad B movie director....

You can't fault the guy. He stood up there and took the heat. I feel a bit sorry for Andy Kennedy....

But Ole Miss? Hahahahahaha.

PRJ

HogBreath

Wow..have to feel for Kennedy, the Ole Miss level of play was about as poor as I can recall.  They had a few stretches where they didn't play so bad, but for the most part, they were pretty bad.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

azhog10

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 14, 2018, 04:37:36 pm
Iceman suffers from multiple personalities.  He has fluctuated wildly for a few years now.  He'll be the #1 fan in here until something goes wrong.  Then, Mike Anderson is the worst coach and recruiter ever.  It's hilarious to me!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 14, 2018, 04:37:36 pm

Tell me something: at the end of next year, what is the best case scenario you see for what Mike's resume or tenure will look like?

At Mizzou and UAB, he had a constant NCAA Tournament team and made the Sweet 16 and Elite 8. Do you see any 3 of those things describing Mike Anderson at the conclusion of year 8?

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 15, 2018, 08:16:38 am
Tell me something: at the end of next year, what is the best case scenario you see for what Mike's resume or tenure will look like?

At Mizzou and UAB, he had a constant NCAA Tournament team and made the Sweet 16 and Elite 8. Do you see any 3 of those things describing Mike Anderson at the conclusion of year 8?

The odds for every coach outside of blue bloods is low so I'm not sure of your point. Even then I'll wait to see what happens before I start complaining cuz it might not happen.

Swinesong1

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 15, 2018, 08:16:38 am

I would like for Hogs to make the Sweet 16, Elite Eight, Final Four or even win it all.  If they don't, I won't start saying he's a terrible coach and recruiter.  They could have easily been an elite eight team if the refs had some balls versus N Carolina.  The outcome of the game did not make him a bad coach because he doesn't have an elite eight on his AR resume.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: hoglady on February 14, 2018, 08:10:33 am
I listened to Kennedy on the sideline - "play hard", "defend", we need "energy", "play fast".
Pretty much the same words that Anderson gets crucified for by many on this board, game after game.

I agree.  Mike is not a X and O coach but does preach energy even if the kids go fast in the wrong direction.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 15, 2018, 10:49:06 am
I agree.  Mike is not a X and O coach but does preach energy even if the kids go fast in the wrong direction.

This team knows what to do. When they drive, dish, and swing the ball, they are lethal. It's when they stand around, don't drive, and play stagnant, that we have problems. They run a motion offense, which I coached in high school and it's 90% about energy and not standing around. So when they don't move the ball due to players standing around, they force crap shots from the 3 and the offense is unproductive. So I don't understand the knock on Mike preaching energy in time outs when that is what is needed to run the offense properly.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 15, 2018, 10:13:26 am
I would like for Hogs to make the Sweet 16, Elite Eight, Final Four or even win it all.  If they don't, I won't start saying he's a terrible coach and recruiter.  They could have easily been an elite eight team if the refs had some balls versus N Carolina.  The outcome of the game did not make him a bad coach because he doesn't have an elite eight on his AR resume.

If after 8 years, he has only been to 2 NCAA Tournaments and never past the 2ns round, is that acceptable?

Let's say he does make it this year, but doesn't make it out of the first weekend again, and he misses next year, is that acceptable in 8 years as head coach? If we miss this season, there is no telling how long it will be until we make it back.

When we hired Mike, I expected after his 1st couple years to get things going, our program would look like his UAB and Mizzou programs: in the NCAA Tournament every year and making deep runs every 3 or 4. We are right on the line right now. These next 5 games are program defining for Mike.

Swinesong1

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 15, 2018, 11:36:54 am
If after 8 years, he has only been to 2 NCAA Tournaments and never past the 2ns round, is that acceptable?

Let's say he does make it this year, but doesn't make it out of the first weekend again, and he misses next year, is that acceptable in 8 years as head coach? If we miss this season, there is no telling how long it will be until we make it back.

When we hired Mike, I expected after his 1st couple years to get things going, our program would look like his UAB and Mizzou programs: in the NCAA Tournament every year and making deep runs every 3 or 4. We are right on the line right now. These next 5 games are program defining for Mike.
I EXPECT every new hire to do better than the previous hire.  I HOPE for deep runs and championships.  Has Anderson coached Hog teams frustrated me?  Yes!  Are there things I would do differently if I were coach?  Yes!  But, I don't "front run" like you do.  By that I mean, I don't become the lead cheerleader in the good times and then turn my back in perceived bad times.  Especially when the good times far exceed the bad times.  Especially when he's doing better overall than we've seen since the 90s.  Does that mean my expectations have been met?  No!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 15, 2018, 11:49:54 am
I EXPECT every new hire to do better than the previous hire.  I HOPE for deep runs and championships.  Has Anderson coached Hog teams frustrated me?  Yes!  Are there things I would do differently if I were coach?  Yes!  But, I don't "front run" like you do.  By that I mean, I don't become the lead cheerleader in the good times and then turn my back in perceived bad times.  Especially when the good times far exceed the bad times.  Especially when he's doing better overall than we've seen since the 90s.  Does that mean my expectations have been met?  No!

There is a difference between supporting a program and it's players, and rooting for them to win....and approving if the job a head coach is doing.

This fan base ran off Stan Heath after back to back NCAA Tournament Appearances and his entire team returning. We ran off Houston Nutt for losing games he wasn't supposed to and underachieving, and he had 18 wins his final two seasons. Mike isn't really even doing better than Nolan did his final 7 seasons, and that got him fired!

We are staring a 1-2 year rebuild after this season. Even if Mike makes the tournament this season, if he doesn't get to the Sweet 16, we may not see the 2nd weekend of the NCAA Tournament is Mike's first 8 or even 9 years, depending on how things go. That's sad to think about.

Swinesong1

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 15, 2018, 12:16:31 pm
There is a difference between supporting a program and it's players, and rooting for them to win....and approving if the job a head coach is doing.

This fan base ran off Stan Heath after back to back NCAA Tournament Appearances and his entire team returning. We ran off Houston Nutt for losing games he wasn't supposed to and underachieving, and he had 18 wins his final two seasons. Mike isn't really even doing better than Nolan did his final 7 seasons, and that got him fired!

We are staring a 1-2 year rebuild after this season. Even if Mike makes the tournament this season, if he doesn't get to the Sweet 16, we may not see the 2nd weekend of the NCAA Tournament is Mike's first 8 or even 9 years, depending on how things go. That's sad to think about.
If it saddens you, if he's a  mediocre coach and terrible recruiter (your words), then why did you have great expectations in the first place? 

k.c.hawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 15, 2018, 12:16:31 pm

What in the hell do you not understand about the condition the program was in with Stan Heath. It was not sustainable. We lost a scholarship after extensive cleaning up, he had us on the verge of not being elgible for the NCAA tournament. The dude got a car and drove it 300,000 miles without ever changing the oil or putting tires on it. All 4 tires were fixing to blow and the engine had more metal fragments floating around in it than oil. Don't even bring that guys name up.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 15, 2018, 12:27:08 pm
What in the hell do you not understand about the condition the program was in with Stan Heath. It was not sustainable. We lost a scholarship after extensive cleaning up, he had us on the verge of not being elgible for the NCAA tournament. The dude got a car and drove it 300,000 miles without ever changing the oil or putting tires on it. All 4 tires were fixing to blow and the engine had more metal fragments floating around in it than oil. Don't even bring that guys name up.

Wasn't why Heath was fired.  In hindsight, we know of the issues and can say with certainty a change had to be made. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

tconey1

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on February 15, 2018, 11:30:51 am
I've frequented Hogville seldom and posted even less over the last six weeks. It's been a nice break, which I intend to extend for months and maybe years on end.

I very much wanted us to hire Mike Anderson. I'm still glad we did, and I hope he retires as our coach on his own terms.

Has he been as successful as I would like? No.

Has he been as successful as I thought he would be when we hired him? Again, no.

Do I think he will ever be as successful here as I thought he would be when we hired him? Same answer - no.

I believe Mike Anderson is a good coach. He's not a "great" coach, because that label is reserved for guys with more wins, more conference and tournament titles, more appearances in the NCAA Tournament, and more deep runs in March Madness than he has produced. The proof is in the numbers; it is what it is.

Having said that, it's nice to have a connection to the past. Good to have Nolan back around the program. Good to see Scotty Thurman on our bench. Mike at least brings us that, and he is a good man. That'll have to do. 

Still trying to figure out how you frequent something seldom! Isnt that a palindrome or oxydrome or something like that?

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 15, 2018, 12:30:42 pm
Wasn't why Heath was fired.  In hindsight, we know of the issues and can say with certainty a change had to be made. 

So the administration couldn't see that doomsday sitting there?? We don't know why the guy was fired but we do know the guy that took the job asked to look at the books and didn't come back to Fayeteville after his hog call. I would say it is exactly why he was fired. The crazy thing is the guy had a masters in sports admin. You would think he might have at least had his players doing the bare minimum in the class room.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 15, 2018, 12:40:27 pm
So the administration couldn't see that doomsday sitting there?? We don't know why the guy was fired but we do know the guy that took the job asked to look at the books and didn't come back to Fayeteville after his hog call. I would say it is exactly why he was fired. The crazy thing is the guy had a masters in sports admin. You would think he might have at least had his players doing the bare minimum in the class room.

He was fired because he wasn't winning enough plus lost in the first round of the NCAAT and a group of boosters thought they had BCG wrapped up as our next coach.  We were trying to upgrade because Heath's teams weren't winning to our expectations.  Our admin tried using attendance as an excuse. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

aloha_kid

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 14, 2018, 07:03:17 am
Why annouce that he's leaving at the end of the season. He quit but want the players to keep fighting.

I doubt he quit.  It was probably more being shown the door, but allowing him to appear like the good guy that allows the program to move forward.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: aloha_kid on February 15, 2018, 01:05:18 pm
I doubt he quit.  It was probably more being shown the door, but allowing him to appear like the good guy that allows the program to move forward.

Yep when you have been somewhere 12 years, you are having your worse season ever and they let you get down to the final 6 weeks of your contract. You might not have been fired but you have been given the good bye look. The fact they didn't add any kind of an extension to his contract last off season, he knew he was out  unless he pulled a rabbit out of his.....

The_Iceman

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 15, 2018, 12:27:08 pm

You are deflecting from the major point. Assuming 2018-2019 is a rebuilding year, barring a Sweet 16 run, wouldn't you say that Mike Anderson's performance and record by the end of his 8th season not be up to the standards we expect from a head basketball coach?

To clarify a point from earlier, Mike Anderson's recruiting has improved, ill give him that, but it is his roster management that is so poor. And that is a complaint we heard from mizzou fans when he was hired.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 15, 2018, 01:13:57 pm
You are deflecting from the major point. Assuming 2018-2019 is a rebuilding year, barring a Sweet 16 run, wouldn't you say that Mike Anderson's performance and record by the end of his 8th season not be up to the standards we expect from a head basketball coach?

To clarify a point from earlier, Mike Anderson's recruiting has improved, ill give him that, but it is his roster management that is so poor. And that is a complaint we heard from mizzou fans when he was hired.

I will not concede that 2018/2019 will be rebuild. I will wait and see. If Gafford goes and next season is mediocre at best with no tournament, what it will tell me is, he doesn't recruit well enough to overcome the early loss of the best player he recruits every class or two. It is almost detrimental to him and his system to land a player that leaves in year one. We got good returns by Portis not being a 5 and needing another year to develop. It will also tell me if we lose Gafford that losing Perry to Adidas was a big blow and we wouldn't be sweating our 4/5 near as much next year. Fully believe that was a money play. Maybe no money changed hands because the investigation was already tightening but it is pretty obvious that Reggie Perry could have easily been an Adidas target. And yes roster management has not been good. I think there has been some good scrambling to patch holes but having to grab 3 JUCO's when you already had a transfer and 2 projected seniors all leaving at the same time is problematic.

I can also say I would have felt damn comfortable with CJ, Bailey, Hall, Gafford, Garland, Gabe and Harris coming back. With Perry, Joe, Sills, Embery, Henderson and who ever might have gotten the last spot. Perry was a huge blow as firmly as he seemed committed. I could easily see Mike steering that team into the tournament and maybe further than this team has the potential to go. Unfortunately he was left to scramble once again.

That being said, no I won't concede a rebuild at this point. I could see Mike put together a surprise season even with Gafford gone.

99toLife

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 15, 2018, 01:13:57 pm

Back in the day we were warned what we were getting with Mike.  A good guy and good coach but nothing over the top special.. and the phrase Mike will be Mike..Not bad, Not great just Mike over and over.. people were slaughtered on here and now many realize it was 100% correct.   Mike needs to make the NCATT this year and next year or he should probably retire gently or face termination...

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 14, 2018, 08:55:53 am
He quit. He should have announced that he was leaving after the last regular season game. He's never been a good coach and I hate that he is leaving Ole Miss.

Good but not great coach. His record at old misses is .62. Mikes at Arkansas is .64. Not a whole lot of difference. I've had his team stay in my hotel years ago and he is not a very personable guy.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi