Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Troubling news for SEC and College Football in general

Started by WizardofhOgZ, February 13, 2018, 04:53:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

longtimeHogfan

Ms. Longtime & I are only 35-40 minutes from the stadium so travel & lodging aren't a factor.  Cost and, as we age, comfort, are our two determining factors.

When we were 30 years old we'd brave the occasional heat of a September game & the cold & sometimes wet of one in November.  Today not so much.

Foundation donations, season ticket costs and a 50 inch TV made our decision easier.  We miss the game day atmosphere but we'll leave it to you whippersnappers to take up the slack.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

twistitup

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on February 14, 2018, 01:29:28 pm
Ms. Longtime & I are only 35-40 minutes from the stadium so travel & lodging aren't a factor.  Cost and, as we age, comfort, are our two determining factors.

When we were 30 years old we'd brave the occasional heat of a September game & the cold & sometimes wet of one in November.  Today not so much.

Foundation donations, season ticket costs and a 50 inch TV made our decision easier.  We miss the game day atmosphere but we'll leave it to you whippersnappers to take up the slack.

Maybe you are on to something... in general, people are just becoming soft
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hogsanity

Everyone talking about the game day experience must be talking about tailgating because inside the stadium it is not good. People climbing over you to go to the concession stand 10 times, and then to the bathroom 10 times. People kneeing you in the back constantly. People who had too much to drink before they came in. People around you talking about everything but the game. The guy either right behind or right in front of you that has to yell out every play what the team SHOULD run, or what the ref should have called or not called. I do not find any of that to be enjoyable. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: twistitup on February 14, 2018, 01:32:07 pm
Maybe you are on to something... in general, people are just becoming soft

.....and old
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

twistitup

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: hogsanity on February 14, 2018, 01:35:30 pm
Everyone talking about the game day experience must be talking about tailgating because inside the stadium it is not good. People climbing over you to go to the concession stand 10 times, and then to the bathroom 10 times. People kneeing you in the back constantly. People who had too much to drink before they came in. People around you talking about everything but the game. The guy either right behind or right in front of you that has to yell out every play what the team SHOULD run, or what the ref should have called or not called. I do not find any of that to be enjoyable. 

Some of what you say I don't enjoy either.  But being there when the team runs through the 'A', callin' the Hogs and singing Oh Lord it's hard to be humble ain't quite the same at home.

hogsanity

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on February 14, 2018, 01:48:50 pm
  But being there when the team runs through the 'A', callin' the Hogs and singing Oh Lord it's hard to be humble ain't quite the same at home.

Seen it, done it, heard it.

Those things are why I have a bucket list of stadiums I want to go to though. I want to watch the OSU band dot the I. I want to be there for the intro in Blacksburg. I want to witness a Army/Navy game pre game/post game. Things like that I want to experience once, but not 5 or 6 times a year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on February 13, 2018, 05:58:10 pm
I know for me it is difficult to get motivated to go see the games in person.  Probably because I am getting old.  But I have a huge TV. I can cook and eat as much as I want of whatever I want, I can drink as much as I want and not deal with traffic or crowds, and I can watch all the other games that are on that day.  I mean I have a big TV outside, we grill out, drink beer and do it all from the comfort of my back deck, and even with buying drinks and steaks I still don't spend as much as I would on a day at the game.   

Honesty.  I appreciate that, and I'm right there with you...almost.  I think this will be my last year for season tickets.  I may accept a box invite from time to time, or free tickets, but here's the reality.  I'm at an age where I have other things I want to do in life that are more in line with making memories other ways, beyond watching someone else do something. 

I have some amazing memories from Hog games...all three sports, but feeling tied to them has started to wear on me over the past few years.  When I'm GLAD that the next game is away so I don't have to go through the hassle, that's telling.  When I can record it on the DVR while doing something else fun and interesting, and then watch it at my liesure skipping commercials....that's tough to beat.  It will NEVER replace the game day atmosphere, but the logistics and total time required is just too time consuming.  I need a nap after three beers now, so tailgating is a diet coke and maybe a BBQ sammich...and I can get that anywhere. 

"What would it take for you to renew your tickets?"  If a vehicle showed up at my house with refreshments, dropped me off at the gate, and picked me up for the return trip...I still think I'm at a poin that I would rather do something other than "watch" someone do something, rather than doing something myself on a beautiful Saturday.     

I would feel guilty enough about a lifetimes worth of experiences that I will still make a yearly donation, but things in life change.  I think going to a few games a year when it's convenient and I feel the itch will be enough.  I guess I'll see.... 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

bphi11ips

Quote from: twistitup on February 14, 2018, 01:42:23 pm
Exactly...it's a diff generation of fans - the university must adjust

I think that's what the rebranding was about.

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on February 14, 2018, 01:48:50 pm
Some of what you say I don't enjoy either.  But being there when the team runs through the 'A', callin' the Hogs and singing Oh Lord it's hard to be humble ain't quite the same at home.

Attending a college football game with 75,000 like-minded roaring, standing fans is an experience that serves a variety of human needs. It can't be duplicated anywhere else through any medium. That's the reason people go to games.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on February 13, 2018, 04:53:18 pm
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-heads-in-wrong-direction-with-largest-attendance-drop-in-34-years/
Lol! I've been saying this here on Hogville based on anecdotal evidence and my own personal attitude for at least the past 3 years. Of course, the multitudes here always unite against what they do not want to believe or what they cannot comprehend.

The rising costs of attending football games and buying season tickets is ridiculous. But it rises because people pay it...every year. Over the past 20 years, the face cost of a U of A football ticket has risen an average of 6.5% annually. That is at least 3x the rate of inflation over that period.

Like a commenter here, I have not been to a game at Fayetteville since my daughter's last year there...fall of 2010. I have not missed much, and I saved much!
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 14, 2018, 02:07:27 pm
Honesty.  I appreciate that, and I'm right there with you...almost.  I think this will be my last year for season tickets.  I may accept a box invite from time to time, or free tickets, but here's the reality.  I'm at an age where I have other things I want to do in life that are more in line with making memories other ways, beyond watching someone else do something. 

I have some amazing memories from Hog games...all three sports, but feeling tied to them has started to wear on me over the past few years.  When I'm GLAD that the next game is away so I don't have to go through the hassle, that's telling.  When I can record it on the DVR while doing something else fun and interesting, and then watch it at my liesure skipping commercials....that's tough to beat.  It will NEVER replace the game day atmosphere, but the logistics and total time required is just too time consuming.  I need a nap after three beers now, so tailgating is a diet coke and maybe a BBQ sammich...and I can get that anywhere. 

"What would it take for you to renew your tickets?"  If a vehicle showed up at my house with refreshments, dropped me off at the gate, and picked me up for the return trip...I still think I'm at a poin that I would rather do something other than "watch" someone do something, rather than doing something myself on a beautiful Saturday.     

I would feel guilty enough about a lifetimes worth of experiences that I will still make a yearly donation, but things in life change.  I think going to a few games a year when it's convenient and I feel the itch will be enough.  I guess I'll see.... 

I have great memories too ( never had season tickets ) from my 1st game in 1979 ( Houston ), to the 1st game I went to with my wife ( OM 1994 ), 1st game with my 1st son ( MSU 2003 ), Opening day 2005 when we had a perfect view of Felix when he came around the Hogs left side for a long td run. To the Troy game in 2009 which was my youngest 1st game and it was my dad, me and my 2 boys. 

But I also have lots of memories with them going to watch games at my grandma's house. She couldn't go but she never missed the games on tv or the radio so we'd go over and have lunch or supper and watch the games with her. Plus dozens of other things we have done on fall Saturdays other than spend all day to go to a game.  And I look forward to the day that I get to go with my grand kids to their 1st game, but it is not destination travel for me right now.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 14, 2018, 02:10:51 pm
That's the reason people go to games.

a reason, but not the only reason. Some go because they always have. Some go for the ego boost of saying they have season tickets or they have 50 yards line seats. Some go to see and be seen. IF the roar and being with 75 like minded people was the only reason then we'd never have discussions about people not cheering, not standing, being too loud or vulgar or all the their things we see discussed because they'd all be of one mind and voice.

I made a post here several years ago equating going to college football games with going to church. Just as there is a myriad of reasons people go to church ( guilt, fellowship, worship, a need for something inside, duty, devotion, see and bee seen etc ) so to it is for college football.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogsanity on February 14, 2018, 02:06:27 pm
Seen it, done it, heard it.

Those things are why I have a bucket list of stadiums I want to go to though. I want to watch the OSU band dot the I. I want to be there for the intro in Blacksburg. I want to witness a Army/Navy game pre game/post game. Things like that I want to experience once, but not 5 or 6 times a year.
Same. Going to see ND vs USC next season.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

311Hog

Smalltownhog95

Quote from: twistitup on February 13, 2018, 06:17:07 pm
Maybe college games get blacked out someday within 100 miles of the stadium to keep the fans from just staying home - it's getting easier to
Heck no to this. Idk if it's your opinion or something you think could become a possibility. Thats 1 of the many things Im fed up with the nfl about. It's impossible or should i say expensive to watch a game they dont want to show in your area. I love going to the game. I try and catch a baseball, bball, and football game every season  but theres no way i can make it to every home football game every saturday.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on February 14, 2018, 02:24:22 pm
Just as there is a myriad of reasons people go to church ( guilt, fellowship, worship, a need for something inside, duty, devotion, see and bee seen etc ) so to it is for college football.

As I said, going to games serves a variety of human needs. Not everyone has the same needs or fills them the same way.

HamIAm

I don't know Arkansas' 2017 average attendance, although I would imagine it to be down due to the type of year we had, but it was up each of the 3 preceding years. 
https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Bolt/Arkansas-Razorbacks-home-football-attendance-on-the-rise-52244090

Ray Piggers

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on February 14, 2018, 10:21:04 am
I know you were in the band and it has a special place in your heart, but as a former student who went to football games to watch football, I can promise you that the majority of the student body and the rest of the fans in the attendance who don't have a child dressed up as a Queen's Guard playing the flute do not give two sharts about watching the band play at halftime. It's a period to get up, walk around, and converse until the second half starts.

I'm glad you got your finger on the pulse of what the fans want.
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

HogPharmer

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 14, 2018, 02:17:13 pm
Lol! I've been saying this here on Hogville based on anecdotal evidence and my own personal attitude for at least the past 3 years. Of course, the multitudes here always unite against what they do not want to believe or what they cannot comprehend.

The rising costs of attending football games and buying season tickets is ridiculous. But it rises because people pay it...every year. Over the past 20 years, the face cost of a U of A football ticket has risen an average of 6.5% annually. That is at least 3x the rate of inflation over that period.

Like a commenter here, I have not been to a game at Fayetteville since my daughter's last year there...fall of 2010. I have not missed much, and I saved much!

Perhaps it's just that nobody cares what you have to say? Just a thought.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

cityhog

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 13, 2018, 09:27:11 pm
We love to attend games in person.  We didn't quit going because of TV, we quit because mediocrity... and that may be overly complimentary...isn't any fun for us.  We come to the games to watch football, not to tailgate or just for the trip.

We'll be back when the administration puts a product on the field that makes it enjoyable to be there.  Until then we are going to plenty of football and basketball games closer to home.

I would submit that this plays a bigger part in attendance decline than league want to admit. You essentially have the same 6-10 schools playing for anything that matters year in and year out. Yawn. Color me unenthused about seeing Bama, Ohio State, Oklahoma  and Clemson, et al playing for all the marbles  -  yet again

cityhog

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on February 14, 2018, 10:21:04 am
I can promise you that the majority of the student body and the rest of the fans in the attendance who don't have a child dressed up as a Queen's Guard playing the flute do not give two sharts about watching the band play at halftime.

Sounds like someone's girlfriend got nailed by a flutist.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on February 14, 2018, 10:31:07 am
Nope, not at all. If music is your route, then I think the band is a great way to start a career, but that doesn't change the fact that it has no place as a 20 min. halftime show - which was my original argument. I'm all for the band being in the stands, playing the fight song, and instrumental versions of well-known songs to create some crowd unity, but that is where it should end. Halftime is entirely too long and a 12 minute, NFL halftime should be adopted in college football.

How many people say, "I'm not going to the game because of the extra 8 minutes I have to listen to a band I hate" ?

or

"Oh, No band? Hey, I'll donate for season tickets, now."

Whether you like the band or not, telling the band they are unwanted will not increase attendance.

factchecker

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on February 14, 2018, 05:14:01 pm
How many people say, "I'm not going to the game because of the extra 8 minutes I have to listen to a band I hate" ?

or

Whether you like the band or not, telling the band they are unwanted will not increase attendance.

On the flip side I know plenty of people who love to hear the band.  They especially love it when they do the military tributes at half time.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PygmalionEffect2

Lower attendance is a great thing for college football.

This crap of head coaches making 6-10 million a year with assistants being paid over a million now is ridiculous.  A.D.'s making million dollar salaries...

College sports in general needs to step back into the real world.

With tuition going up at a higher rate than healthcare, it was time for a correction.

Sure football is a money maker, but let's use more of it for good instead of people like CBB making 15,000,000 in one year.

Things have gotten out of hand.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HogPharmer on February 14, 2018, 04:22:13 pm

Perhaps it's just that nobody cares what you have to say? Just a thought.
This almost made me cry...due to laughing hard for 3 min.

bphi11ips

Quote from: factchecker on February 14, 2018, 05:15:15 pm
On the flip side I know plenty of people who love to hear the band.  They especially love it when they do the military tributes at half time.

I can't imagine a Razorbacks game without the fight song and doubt many here can. It would be like going to a game and not hearing "Woo Pig Sooie". The alma mater is an emotional moment for a lot of alums and others who have been attending games with family for years.  And what about the players running through the "A"? 

The band is a major difference between college and NFL games. It's one reason I personally prefer attending college games.

The band helps create the unique atmosphere of college football. Jim McKay called it "pageantry".  College football without the band would be like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without the jelly.

factchecker

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 14, 2018, 06:56:04 pm
I can't imagine a Razorbacks game without the fight song and doubt many here can. It would be like going to a game and not hearing "Woo Pig Sooie". The alma mater is an emotional moment for a lot of alums and others who have been attending games with family for years.  And what about the players running through the "A"? 

The band is a major difference between college and NFL games. It's one reason I personally prefer attending college games.

The band helps create the unique atmosphere of college football. Jim McKay called it "pageantry".  College football without the band would be like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without the jelly.

100% correct. The band is integral part of college football.  One of the best things about going to away games is seeing different traditions and other school's bands.  For example, as weird as AnM is, their band is large and impressive.

I'm glad that you brought up the alma mater.  I try to avoid getting emotional but every-time I get to the 6th line ("Pride of Our Hearts")  I always get a little misty eyed.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

destinflhog

ESPN's constant pimping of 6 or 7 teams drives the blue chips to a select few. No one else can compete for the national championship so the average fan looses interest. And Sabans dominance

NuttinItUp

Quote from: kodiakisland on February 13, 2018, 05:04:17 pm
I'd say it's football in general.  Every game is on TV, and almost everyone has a big screen HD TV. 
Bro, you really gotta upgrade to 4K.

LZH

Pretty crazy that when I was in the fifth grade I did a whole story on plastic face guards, elongated footballs, and teams like "the Texaco Cowboys" that would be watched on TV from an empty arena.

It's still at my mother's. Mrs. Nimmer just asked us where we'd be in 50 years and that was just some bs I came up with.

311Hog

Factchecker, bphillips thanks you both said it better than i could.  I was never in the band in college, it is a regret i should have continued and wish i had.

Nothing quite like playing football infront of people in a big stadium nor is there anything like playing as part of a band at half time etc. i loved that my HS played in a college stadium it was such a thrill every Friday night.

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on February 15, 2018, 08:52:53 am
Factchecker, bphillips thanks you both said it better than i could.  I was never in the band in college, it is a regret i should have continued and wish i had.

Nothing quite like playing football infront of people in a big stadium nor is there anything like playing as part of a band at half time etc. i loved that my HS played in a college stadium it was such a thrill every Friday night.

Bands are a part of football, especially college football. Also, the University uses the band program to bring in students, and a big part of that draw is getting to go to most of the games across the SEC or when they make a big road trip for a bowl or ooc big time game.

DeltaBoy

Average age of the hardcore fans is getting older. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 15, 2018, 09:03:56 am
Average age of the hardcore fans is getting older. 

YEp. I was at a meeting the other night for a youth sports league I am part of and we were discussing the drop in participation in youth sports. IMO it is not a safety concern, or monetary, it is time. The PARENTS do not want to dedicate the time to it. They want to be able to run off on a moments notice for a day trip, or go to the lake or whatever, and they do not want to be tied down by something their kids are in.

Same for younger people and things like season tickets for football or basketball. If they want to go to a game, they would rather pick up tickets on stub hub or from a friend or wherever instead of donating, and having tickets for every game, knowing they may go to 1 or 2. They were raised in the microwave generations and they don't plan far in advance, are used to be able to watch whatever they want when they what ( they do not remember the days when there were only 2 college games on nationally a week ) and they drift in an out of their fandom.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 14, 2018, 06:56:04 pm

Or like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without the bread...messy!

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on February 14, 2018, 05:14:01 pm

or

I never said the band was unwanted. In fact, if you re-read the post you are replying to and my previous posts on the subject, you'll see that I am absolutely for the band being in the stands and playing throughout the game -- I enjoy it and I think most people in attendance do too. The original argument was made because the run of show of a college football game is becoming too lengthy and my suggestion was to remove the band from the halftime show and cut it to 12 minutes, just as the NFL does. Not remove the band altogether.

Busta_Nutt

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hogsanity on February 15, 2018, 09:17:26 am
YEp. I was at a meeting the other night for a youth sports league I am part of and we were discussing the drop in participation in youth sports. IMO it is not a safety concern, or monetary, it is time. The PARENTS do not want to dedicate the time to it. They want to be able to run off on a moments notice for a day trip, or go to the lake or whatever, and they do not want to be tied down by something their kids are in.

Same for younger people and things like season tickets for football or basketball. If they want to go to a game, they would rather pick up tickets on stub hub or from a friend or wherever instead of donating, and having tickets for every game, knowing they may go to 1 or 2. They were raised in the microwave generations and they don't plan far in advance, are used to be able to watch whatever they want when they what ( they do not remember the days when there were only 2 college games on nationally a week ) and they drift in an out of their fandom.

Yes I agree in what I have seen and heard.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 15, 2018, 09:17:26 am

For alot of people time is the one thing they don't have alot of. Especially during the school year.

Jek Tono Porkins

You obviously can't take the band out of college football and it's dumb to even say that. I mean are you really gonna nix the whole pregame ritual including the running through the A?

But that being said the quality of the razorback band leaves much to be desired, at least from what I've seen. Sloppy playing, sloppy marching fundamentals, sloppy drill sets, and generally uninspired performances seem to be the norm. But when you have 300 people learning a different show every week that's generally what you're going to get.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on February 15, 2018, 09:50:41 am
You obviously can't take the band out of college football and it's dumb to even say that. I mean are you really gonna nix the whole pregame ritual including the running through the A?

But that being said the quality of the razorback band leaves much to be desired, at least from what I've seen. Sloppy playing, sloppy marching fundamentals, sloppy drill sets, and generally uninspired performances seem to be the norm. But when you have 300 people learning a different show every week that's generally what you're going to get.

No one ever mentioned this. The original point made against the band was the removal of the halftime performance -- but, of course, hogville usually fails in the category of reading comprehension, so I'm not surprised it's spun into this.

311Hog

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on February 15, 2018, 10:21:45 am
No one ever mentioned this. The original point made against the band was the removal of the halftime performance -- but, of course, hogville usually fails in the category of reading comprehension, so I'm not surprised it's spun into this.

It really isn't spin.  As i was saying if you remove the band from half time shows, this pretty much removes their need to travel with the team to events, thus reducing the need for a band in the first place, or at least it would negatively impact recruiting to the band/students.  As has been said playing infront of the SEC crowd is a big sell for the school band etc. all involved parties.  You cannot simply remove the band half time performance and expect nothing else to change.

DeltaBoy

They need the Bands  back doing halftime.  Due to my family I have not been to a game since 2005 in Austin when Bobby P crew got killed by Texas.

RME

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 15, 2018, 10:44:53 am
They need the Bands  back doing halftime.  Due to my family I have not been to a game since 2005 in Austin when Bobby P crew got killed by Texas.

Arkansas didn't play Texas in 2005, nor was Bobby Petrino the coach in 2005.

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on February 14, 2018, 01:35:30 pm
That stuff can be trying. I was at the basketball game the other night and some blonde teenage kid in skinny jeans whose balls had yet to drop (his voice was high pitched and squeaky) was siting directly behind me loudly narrating the entire game. I mean literally right in my ear, constant idiotic comments so everyone within 20 rows could hear.

I couldn't make it to halftime before we moved down a few rows to get away from it. Thank God it was a weekday and the arena wasn't even half full so we could easily move or else I wouldn't have made it without earplugs.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 15, 2018, 10:53:23 am
That stuff can be trying. I was at the basketball game the other night and some blonde teenage kid in skinny jeans whose balls had yet to drop (his voice was high pitched and squeaky) was siting directly behind me loudly narrating the entire game. I mean literally right in my ear, constant idiotic comments so everyone within 20 rows could hear.

I couldn't make it to halftime before we moved down a few rows to get away from it. Thank God it was a weekday and the arena wasn't even half full so we could easily move or else I wouldn't have made it without earplugs.

Even a basketball game is a 5 hr commitment and I live in FS. just about 2 hr round trip + 2hrs for the game, and a few minutes before and after. Just not worth it. Football, even if you do not tailgate, just get there in time for the kickoff and leave as soon as the game ends is still going to be a 6 hr day minimum.

Tejano Jawg

I think it comes down to whether or not you prioritize it (going to Hog games). The low-interest I mentioned about going to Cowboys games is how some people now feel about seeing the Hogs. I get it.

I don't have season tickets to the Texas Rangers, the Cowboys, the Mavs, the symphony, or the opera...but I might go to all these several times a year, in varying degrees. (Well, maybe not the opera.) But I've chosen to be a Razorback season ticket holder for a number of reasons.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

twistitup

Nashville Fan

How many coaches were replaced in the SEC alone? 5 or 36% of the teams. SEC has 17% of the seats/stadium capacity for the 11 conferences (counting the independents as one conference). People are voting no confidence in coaching staffs and staying home when they want a coaching change. If each of the 5 SEC schools that changed coaches dropped 50% in attendance, assuming they were sold out before the season, total college attendance would have dropped 3% or essentially the entire drop.

As SEC goes, so does college football...
Pittman or Bust!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 15, 2018, 10:47:41 am
Arkansas didn't play Texas in 2005, nor was Bobby Petrino the coach in 2005.

See it been so long I cant even get the dates right!

It was 2008 and we got killed.