Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Michigan backing out was a blessing

Started by Arazorbackguy1, November 24, 2017, 09:46:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arazorbackguy1

Consider how bad we would be beaten if we go to the Big House over the next few years.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

hogmolar

If I were the coach here I would never play a quality out of conference appt. I would get my 4 wins then hope to go 4-4 or 5-3 in conference. History has shown that if you only go 3-1 in out of conference then 3-5 or 4-4 or in a tough year 2-6 in conference you will be out of a job.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: hogmolar on November 25, 2017, 06:54:35 am
If I were the coach here I would never play a quality out of conference appt. I would get my 4 wins then hope to go 4-4 or 5-3 in conference. History has shown that if you only go 3-1 in out of conference then 3-5 or 4-4 or in a tough year 2-6 in conference you will be out of a job.

It also doesn't help perception wise. It's better to pile up wins for better bowl consideration.

farmhawg

History shows if you go 4-8 in year5 you will be fired.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Arthur pigby sellers.

We're in the SEC West. We don't need a top 20 OOC opponent for strength of schedule. I'm plenty happy with the Colorado states of the world.

Cinco de Hogo

This thread explains why we need Gus Malzahn.

Hoggy Hogalot

Melancholy_Pigg

BB and Long have left the program in shambles.   Terrible shape.
Scheduling quality out of conference opponents is not something we should even consider in the near future.

We have a program to rebuild, and that starts with W's.  In any shape or form. 

We have not seen committed competent coaching in 6 years.  We need 4 or 5 years of such coaching and recruiting before we schedule anything approaching a quality out of comference opponent.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Melancholy_Pigg on November 25, 2017, 04:42:26 pm
BB and Long have left the program in shambles.   Terrible shape.
Scheduling quality out of conference opponents is not something we should even consider in the near future.

We have a program to rebuild, and that starts with W's.  In any shape or form. 

We have not seen committed competent coaching in 6 years.  We need 4 or 5 years of such coaching and recruiting before we schedule anything approaching a quality out of comference opponent.

Agree and we need Gus Malzahn to get there.

Bubba's Bruisers

Bingo.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

PORKULATOR

If Alabama doesn't get off some blocks, Gus will be at Auburn next year starting the year in the top 5.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: PORKULATOR on November 25, 2017, 04:52:14 pm
If Alabama doesn't get off some blocks, Gus will be at Auburn next year starting the year in the top 5.

Doesn't make any difference if he wants to be here, if he doesn't, and this is probably his last chance, I hope we can get the answer pretty quite and move on.  The only thing that will change my opinion of him is if he drags his home state along just to leave us without a dance partner.  Nobody should do something like that unless they actually harbor ill will towards somebody.

Sigepgator702

I disagree strongly with this statement!  Who on here gets excited for the mid major/cupcake teams?  We've lost enough embarrassing games to them over the years.  They get pumped to beat an SEC team and we play down to the competition.  Playing power 5 teams OOC and elite teams will get you recruits,  period.  I guess we can schedule like Kentucky does and beat up bad teams and win 7 games and still be viewed as irrelevant in the landscape.  I for one will prefer playing big time teams just like we are in basketball this year.  I'd rather play on ESPN prime time than on the SEC Alternate channel.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Sigepgator702 on November 25, 2017, 06:47:03 pm
I disagree strongly with this statement!  Who on here gets excited for the mid major/cupcake teams?  We've lost enough embarrassing games to them over the years.  They get pumped to beat an SEC team and we play down to the competition.  Playing power 5 teams OOC and elite teams will get you recruits,  period.  I guess we can schedule like Kentucky does and beat up bad teams and win 7 games and still be viewed as irrelevant in the landscape.  I for one will prefer playing big time teams just like we are in basketball this year.  I'd rather play on ESPN prime time than on the SEC Alternate channel.

I'm not arguing with your sentiments but we need a coach first.  Doesn't do a lot of good to get waxed by every half way strong team we play.  That explains why we need Gus!

No Fear should be something we can back up on occasion.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on November 24, 2017, 09:46:56 pm
Consider how bad we would be beaten if we go to the Big House over the next few years.

Hire Lane Kiffin and I will take my chances at the big house.

Harbaugh don't spook Lane.

PRJ

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 26, 2017, 01:26:49 am
Hire Lane Kiffin and I will take my chances at the big house.

Harbaugh don't spook Lane.

PRJ

Khaki-pants is losing his spook appeal!

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 26, 2017, 01:29:42 am
Khaki-pants is losing his spook appeal!

Lane Kiffin would whip him and then tweet about it....for weeks.

PRJ

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 26, 2017, 01:42:32 am
Lane Kiffin would whip him and then tweet about it....for weeks.

PRJ

Wonder if he would photoshop him wearing khakis with holes in them?

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 26, 2017, 02:08:11 am
Wonder if he would photoshop him wearing khakis with holes in them?

IDK...but it would be a hoot....

PRJ

Jimbob111

LOL. That's what ALL coaches do. Let me guess, your monthly MENSA newsletter subscription has lapsed... Now, the good coaches figure out a way to win a couple more than 6 and the great coaches figure out a way to win most of them on their schedule.

If I was the coach at Arkansas, I would go the Fresno State route. Perpetually a 6-8 win team but losing to the best who out recruited and out spent them in every aspect.

"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Jimbob111 on November 26, 2017, 02:19:56 am
LOL. That's what ALL coaches do. Let me guess, your monthly MENSA newsletter subscription has lapsed... Now, the good coaches figure out a way to win a couple more than 6 and the great coaches figure out a way to win most of them on their schedule.

If I was the coach at Arkansas, I would go the Fresno State route. Perpetually a 6-8 win team but losing to the best who out recruited and out spent them in every aspect.

Since we are gonna become a rent-a-win team, what's our asking price?

Jimbob111

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 26, 2017, 02:26:13 am
Since we are gonna become a rent-a-win team, what's our asking price?

Fresno is anything but a rent-a-win for a lot of teams. And the point is that playing a tough schedule is more important than winning them all if you want respect, it's why Fresno gets respect and Boise State under Pederson did not.

During Bielema's 3rd year, NOBODY wanted to play Arkansas. Sure, they might win, probably would if they were good, but they'd lose the next week then more for the rest of the season because they would be beat up. THAT is respect.

It's like guys getting in a fight. Yeah, I'm short and lightweight and you will probably beat me based on height and weight and maybe even skill but I'm going to leave one hell of a mark.

Sometimes, it's not always about winning when you want your program to regain the respect that it's history dictates it should have.

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Jimbob111 on November 26, 2017, 02:31:25 am
Fresno is anything but a rent-a-win for a lot of teams. And the point is that playing a tough schedule is more important than winning them all if you want respect, it's why Fresno gets respect and Boise State under Pederson did not.

During Bielema's 3rd year, NOBODY wanted to play Arkansas. Sure, they might win, probably would if they were good, but they'd lose the next week then more for the rest of the season because they would be beat up. THAT is respect.

It's like guys getting in a fight. Yeah, I'm short and lightweight and you will probably beat me based on height and weight and maybe even skill but I'm going to leave one hell of a mark.

Sometimes, it's not always about winning when you want your program to regain the respect that it's history dictates it should have.

Toledo sure as hell wanted to play us....

You are failing at this.

PRJ

Jimbob111

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 26, 2017, 02:32:56 am
Toledo sure as hell wanted to play us....

You are failing at this.

PRJ

You made my point about the Bielema era. Toledo gained a whole lot of respect by beating an SEC team. Because they were a rent-a-win and Arkansas was vulnerable. First, I suggest using google to figure out what "reading comprehension" means and then attempt to apply it to yourself.  I clearly stated that you'd be beat up, even if you won, which Toledo DID.

And do you really think Toledo WANTED to play Arkansas? No, like all rent-a-wins, they wanted a check but with Bielema, a win was there for the taking.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 25, 2017, 04:32:27 pm
This thread explains why we need Gus Malzahn.
And some of our fans to become Wolves.