Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Bielema is let go

Started by Mr. Porkleone, November 24, 2017, 05:43:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elksnort

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Airforcehawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 24, 2017, 06:24:56 pm
Reason he was let go:

Can someone post this in the 15 threads complaining about how he was fired...

lasthog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 24, 2017, 05:54:19 pm
Cold.  But expected.

Well, do you let him talk to the team, talk about future, give presser, talk about next year, then cut the cord?

There is no happy way to do this.

He really has only this one time to talk to the whole team, post-employment.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 24, 2017, 05:54:19 pm
Cold.  But expected. 

The Administration up there may be perturbed that he has basically swindled $20 Million in salary, plus whatever his buyout amount will be.  The University has the right to make it somewhat uncomfortable for him.

This whole saga of coaching ineptitude will also hopefully make the University decide to not hire any prima donnas anymore who only want $4 Million + per year, and to hire someone who can actually coach who will be happy with just around $3 Million to $3.5 Million per year.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Sooiepride on November 24, 2017, 06:05:19 pm
CBB said that he "left it better than he found it". His record this year is the same as JLS' record, right?

Of course he said it...and he should.  He has a connection with all the guys in the locker room and will wish them the best going forward.

Whether he actually believes it or not...only he will know!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Kevin

He knew he was fired. This week has been saying good bye week.   Stop acting like he was took in a room and they told him. They did that so they could tell the players, and the media before his pc.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 24, 2017, 06:24:56 pm
Reason he was let go:

I guessed that they would postpone it until Monday (even though tomorrow morning at 10am was told to me independently by 4 different people that could be considered more connected than most), didn't think they'd make him address the team after a loss AND his firing before the weekend release for the holiday.

Guess they thought too many were leaving the area.

That's cold-blooded, but then again so are coach salaries and buyouts these days.

This is my non-signature signature.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 24, 2017, 06:36:11 pm
The Administration up there may be perturbed that he has basically swindled $20 Million in salary, plus whatever his buyout amount will be.  The University has the right to make it somewhat uncomfortable for him.

This whole saga of coaching ineptitude will also hopefully make the University decide to not hire any prima donnas anymore who only want $4 Million + per year, and to hire someone who can actually coach who will be happy with just around $3 Million to $3.5 Million per year.

Coaches will have to understand that due to the huge buyouts they require, timing of termination is the only thing that the universities completely control and it will be used at their advantage when they decide to move forward.

That's just the price of an obnoxious buyout driven by coaches and agents.

apcapri

Just unbelievable!!!! He should have been sent away with a parade after unveiling his statue! Great coach that wasn't treated fairly!

jasonkoehn

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 24, 2017, 06:36:11 pm

You're joking, right?  That's the market price for a decent coach.  You're dreaming if you think you're getting anyone worth a damn to go for that without moving on from us for a better offer.

EulessHog

Quote from: moses_007 on November 24, 2017, 06:24:57 pm
Nothing classless about it.  He had it coming, and he should have been fired RIGHT ON THE FIELD WHERE HE LOST, LOST AND LOST.

Free at last!  Free at last!  Thank God almighty, we are free at last!
Go Hogs Go!

wwrogers5

Every year was great expectations ending with great disappointment. Remember the 9 win projections at the beginning of this year. Terrible play calling by assistants, he lived and died with the Allen brothers as Quarterbacks, ran off some great ones. His style of coaching just did not work. He has been paid well, Nebraska will love him, BYE!

JayHog

Hey, I'm one who admits he needed to go. But that was classless. And it's exposed that we have a bunch of classless fans that cheer it on. It's probably just the way of the world these days, and that's a sad reflection on our society. 
People are giddy over the thought of cruelty.  In fact, the more cruel, the better.  It makes people smile. It's feeds their lust for blood. Smh

Sooiepride

Quote from: elksnort on November 24, 2017, 06:28:44 pm
there are not happy days it's a sense of relief though

Agreed.  Big sense of relief.  Looking forward to new leadership and play styles at Arkansas.  😁
God, Family, Country, Razorbacks.

Rayzback

Radio says UA PC in another 30 minutes or so..
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

hoglady

It wasn't classless - there was a reason it was done the way it was.

Contrary to some reports it wasn't done on the field but rather a room beside the media room.
It was done tonight so Bielema could address the team before they left to go visit family this weekend.
He was given the choice as to whether to address the media.

What in the world is classless about any of that.
I think that's better for the team to hear it from him and not from the media.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Ironhawg

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 24, 2017, 06:00:34 pm
I'd be willing to bet he received notice before, but I'll wait to hear some facts before I throw my stones.

^^^^This^^^^

GoHogs1091

Quote from: jasonkoehn on November 24, 2017, 06:44:48 pm
You're joking, right?  That's the market price for a decent coach.  You're dreaming if you think you're getting anyone worth a damn to go for that without moving on from us for a better offer.

In our case something has to give.

We either pay a Head Coach less per year and have more money for higher quality Assistants, or we pay a Head Coach $4 Million + per year and only have the money for low-quality Assistants, such as the low-quality Assistants that Bielema had during his tenure.

EulessHog

Quote from: EulessHog on November 24, 2017, 06:49:04 pm
Free at last!  Free at last!  Thank God almighty, we are free at last!

Some of you are angry???

I do not understand how a rational fan could not be excited about the changes coming in the next 5 years.  That's right.  Check your calendar 5 years from today to see if we are better or worse off.  All of my money is on the party!
Go Hogs Go!

Sooiepride

Quote from: hoglady on November 24, 2017, 06:55:16 pm

Contrary to some reports it wasn't done on the field but rather a room beside the media room.
It was done tonight so Bielema could address the team before they left to go visit family this weekend.

Sounds like a common sense assessment. We will have none of that!  Lol.
God, Family, Country, Razorbacks.

JackTNHogfan

Tough loss today but ridding the program of Bert was the best news ever.  So happy to be done with him.  I bet players are too.

SemperFi

I never feel good when someone gets fired. Still, I am happy that we are moving on and wish Bret Bielema and his family all the best.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

lasthog

Quote from: JayHog on November 24, 2017, 06:51:01 pm
Hey, I'm one who admits he needed to go. But that was classless. And it's exposed that we have a bunch of classless fans that cheer it on. It's probably just the way of the world these days, and that's a sad reflection on our society. 
People are giddy over the thought of cruelty.  In fact, the more cruel, the better.  It makes people smile. It's feeds their lust for blood. Smh

Uh, I believe there have been a few fans that haven't shown a lot of class prior to tonight.

But I would like to know what a classy way of firing him would look like, in your opinion.

In private prior to presser and team address seems about as good as it could have been handed to him, but that's just me.

Hollywood870

Quote from: apcapri on November 24, 2017, 06:43:24 pm
Just unbelievable!!!! He should have been sent away with a parade after unveiling his statue! Great coach that wasn't treated fairly!

It is bad, sad how so many of us Hogvllers jump to such dumb assed conclusions.  What if just once, we all kept our mouths and fingers shut until the damn facts arrive.

Everyone wants to be first to break the news and all too often, we don't know crap about the situation.

I absolutely do not know how this was handled but Bret had mentioned going out on Saturday and recruiting.  Now I doubted that would happen no matter his position as HC but that is my opinion.  So if you take the man at his word, the firing needed to be completed today.  I want to believe it was handled in the most respectful way possible for the University.  I hope Bret did get to visit with the team if he wanted to.  Other than that, the man did a horrific job, left us in a deep, deep hole to try and pull out of and walked away with millions.  I got no sorrowful feelings for the prick.  I will always believe, JUST MY OPINION, his efforts fell far short of what it takes to provide the best training, conditioning, and mental attitude for our team.  Half assed effort doesn't deserve full pay but the idiot(s) who handled the contract were at fault there and not Bret.  I am so glad he has been removed as the HC of the football Hogs.

Grag T

Yeah I suspect he was probably told the day Long got canned and he played it cool for the rest of the season.  If so, he deserves respect.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

moses_007

I've been following Razorback football for 58 years and we've never had a worse coach than Bret.  John L. was better.  Jack Crowe was better.  Houston Nutt was lots better. 

Just so glad this nightmare is over.  It doesn't matter how or when they ended it, but it had to be done. 

elksnort

I appreciate your post. We live in a state of self-righteousness. So many of these posters want to be morally correct. And they will manufacture causes.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Al Boarland on November 24, 2017, 06:09:53 pm
Absolutely. It's a clown show in Fayetteville. No other way to spin it.

Gus will fit perfectly...lol

Grag T

Quote from: Hogindasticks on November 24, 2017, 07:10:01 pm
Gus will fit perfectly...lol

He probably would... but it ain't gonna be Gus.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

hogsanity

This will be seen nationally as a bush league move by a bush league school in a bush league state. It will be seen as a move from a school that is run by boosters and not the athletic admins.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

elksnort

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2017, 07:14:13 pm
This will be seen nationally as a bush league move by a bush league school in a bush league state. It will be seen as a move from a school that is run by boosters and not the athletic admins.
yet you spend 40 to 50 thousand post commenting about said bush-league program. What do you do are you a referee what the hell do you do why are you here

lumphog

You people will BITCH about ANYTHING!!!!!!!   :-\   :puke:

Grag T

It's okay, I'm sure you'll be able to make 43,000 more posts complaining about everything lol

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 24, 2017, 06:55:45 pm
In our case something has to give.

We either pay a Head Coach less per year and have more money for higher quality Assistants, or we pay a Head Coach $4 Million + per year and only have the money for low-quality Assistants, such as the low-quality Assistants that Bielema had during his tenure.

Or maybe you do both. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

Give us a break.  We were already seen nationally as a bush league school in a bush league state. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

IronHog

The other SEC west schools would have fired him after Auburn last year.

Now go touch the net on your grandkids mini hoop.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

hoglady

Only by those who don't bother to get their facts straight.

Would it have been better for the team to hear it from the media instead of Bielema over the weekend since they were leaving town for the holiday?
Or better to have let Bielema and staff recruit this weekend while knowing they were fixing to be fired?

What exactly would have been the correct way to handle this for Bielema, his staff and the team?
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Großer Kriegschwein

He was fired in his gameday office after the game, coming off the field.

Oliver

Blah blah blah blah blah

Quickdraw

There is nothing pleasant firing someone and waiting for the perfect time does not exist. He was hired and was paid a kings ransom to do it. He over promised and under delivered. He did a lot of good things for the University and the players. He didn't get it done on the field and after five years. A decision had to be made and it was. He was told in his office he was fired not on the field. He handled the news with class and addressed it accordingly. I wish him nothing but success in his future. Thank you Brett.

jkstock04

Bielema lovers showing up in droves tonight lol. Worst coach ever and so many clamoring for him. Wild stuff..

I'm very glad he is officially gone. Long gone. Bielema gone. Great night...perhaps the football program can get back to trying to actually win football games.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

SquidBilly

Of all of the SEC schools who've fired their coach this far, we are the only one to allow him to finish the season on the sideline.  He was not fired on the field in front of the fans or cameras.  He was fired in as professional a way as possible.  There is no good way to fire anyone, but unfortunately at times it is necessary.  The University was not trying to embarass anyone so for those of you calling this move classless, you are wrong.  What would have been classless is to leave him in limbo for a little longer and then break the news to him.  What would have been classless is to let him believe he may still have a job, go out recruiting for us, and then fire him.  This was handled as well as it could be all things considered.

Jowls

I.D.I.C.

lasthog

Quote from: Bret Squealema on November 24, 2017, 07:35:41 pm
Of all of the SEC schools who've fired their coach this far, we are the only one to allow him to finish the season on the sideline.  He was not fired on the field in front of the fans or cameras.  He was fired in as professional a way as possible.  There is no good way to fire anyone, but unfortunately at times it is necessary.  The University was not trying to embarass anyone so for those of you calling this move classless, you are wrong.  What would have been classless is to leave him in limbo for a little longer and then break the news to him.  What would have been classless is to let him believe he may still have a job, go out recruiting for us, and then fire him.  This was handled as well as it could be all things considered.

Spot on.  Want to see what classless looks like? See Les Miles' firing.

Dark Helmet Hog

It won't matter in a week or even tomorrow. We didn't get any benefits from the way Petrino was "handled" and there won't be any repercussions from this. The national media will move their attention elsewhere and no one will care.

elksnort

One of the things that hurts our state is the pseudo over morality.

snoblind

Quoting you again so the folks whining about how it was done will have a chance to read it again.  It was done in exactly the right way to give him a chance to address the team.  Of course, the real idiots are those that actually think he didn't know it was coming.