Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rick Ankiel Moving to Outfielder

Started by hawkeyefan17, March 09, 2005, 11:24:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkeyefan17

I just heard about this on ESPN.

I can't blame the kid. He has worked hard to try to come back but for some reason it never worked out. I am rooting for the kid to make it. I think he could be a pretty good major league outfielder.

Wouldn't this mean more time in the minors for him? Maybe even going back to the low minors?

I wish him luck

Oklahawg

Probably best for him. He has some hitting skills, but he'll need a lot of reps in the OF. He's probably headed to High-A for 6 weeks and then on to AA. He'll need to be pushed at the plate beyond the typical class per year matriculation. He's someone who could be back in St. Louis late summer if he can do the glove work. The hitting was passable when he was around before.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Pragmatic PiG

thing is ankiel is out of options

some tards fans think this is a ploy to get ankiel to clear waivers, then back to P in the minors

Porquemada

A throw from the OF to home plate by Ankiel may end up in the stands or parking lot.

hawkeyefan17

March 09, 2005, 08:36:27 pm #4 Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 08:38:54 pm by hawkeyefan17
Pork 'n Beans, I had not really thought about that but you are probably right.

I like the Jefferson quote.

Brett Hitman Hog

Or ... since he over throws the catcher anyway ... it just might make it.  All kidding aside, he's a heck of an athlete and I think he'll do fine in the OF.  I wish him the best.

JusticeHawg

I bet he gets cut loose by the Cardinals.....and I feel sure someone picks him up quick....

sure he is a head case.....and sure he has not thrown very well in the last 4 years...

but the last time I checked he was still lefthanded and had a fast ball at 90+......Like Dan Partick kept saying on his radio show today.....If the Braves picked him up he thought that Mazone might be the only one that could do anything with him...
apprehend that scumbag for impersonating a basketball coach!

Amityvillehogger

yankees pitching coach could, but they dont need another head case....
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005