Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Eighteen Consecutive SEC Victories

Started by WilsonHog, October 16, 2017, 07:04:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Has that ever been done? Maybe by Bear Bryant or Nick Saban?

Eighteen SEC wins in a row.

That's how many Bret Bielema would have to notch in order to match Houston Nutt's decidedly pedestrian, very mediocre, conference winning percentage of .525.

hassettsportsman

He won't get that opportunity...or those opportunities.

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

HiggiePiggy

If Bret found a way to win 18 sec games in a row that would change every persons mind about him being here.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

PorkSoda

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 16, 2017, 07:17:59 pm
If Bret found a way to win 18 sec games in a row that would change every persons mind about him being here.
I don't think you have to worry about that happening.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 16, 2017, 07:25:17 pm
I don't think you have to worry about that happening.

Nope. Not worried at all.  Just hoping that this is the last season for him. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

farmhawg

I would agree but it's a pipe dream.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

woodhog14

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 16, 2017, 07:04:13 pm

That's how many Bret Bielema would have to notch in order to match Houston Nutt's decidedly pedestrian, very mediocre, conference winning percentage of .525.

Well, Bama and Saban are on a current 21 SEC game win streak.

Check out Bama's streaks since Saban joined the Tide.

Bama is now 47 -5 in the SEC over the last 7 seasons.
They currently have a 21 game SEC winning streak.
Those 5 loses they had were by a combined TOTAL of 26 points. This included:
9-6 loss to LSU in 2011 (LSU was #1) 
Kick Six to the Barners in 2013
2015 a 7 point loss to Ole Miss when they turned the ball over 5 times
Bama has a least a 2 game winning streak or more against everyone in the SEC but USCe because they haven't played each other since 2010.

Bama vs. the SEC last 11 years win streak (eleven year record):

vs. Arkansas 11 game win streak (last eleven years 11-0)
vs. Tennessee 10 game win streak (10-0)
vs. State 9 game win streak (9-1)
vs. LSU 6 game win streak (8-3) (Played twice in 2011, once for NC)
vs. Florida 5 game win streak (5-1)
vs. A&M 5 game win streak (5-1)
vs. Kentucky 4 game win streak (4-0)
vs. Georgia 3 game win streak (3-1)
vs. Auburn 3 game win streak (7-3)
vs. Vandy 3 game win streak (3-0)
vs. Missouri 2 game win streak (2-0)
vs. Ole Miss 2 game win streak (9-2)
vs. South Carolina 1 game losing streak (1-1) (Haven't played since 2010)

orvillesghost

There is no coach alive who could win 18 consecutive SEC games at Arkansas

our longest win streak ever is 22 and that was 50 plus years ago...

jgphillips3

Wow.  That my friends is a bit of information that puts the level of incompetence of the current coach in a whole new perspective.  Just wow...

PygmalionEffect2

QuoteEighteen SEC wins in a row.

While we're on the topic of bizarre and pathetic Bielema performance statistics;

I estimate Bielema will make around $25,000,000 in salary alone while at Arkansas if he's fired at the end of the year and gets his full buyout.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he somehow manages to win 2-3 conference games this year,

we paid him around $2,000,000 per SEC win.

sad
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

jgphillips3

You should sticky your post Wilson.  Anyone who thinks we are mediocre needs to read that.  We would have to have the two best seasons in school history to even be mediocre under CBB.  When MOTHO is kicking your butt that bad...man...

The OTR

Quote from: orvillesghost on October 16, 2017, 08:17:00 pm
There is no coach alive who could win 18 consecutive SEC games at Arkansas

our longest win streak ever is 22 and that was 50 plus years ago...

I think, not sure mind you, that you may be missing the point Wilson is trying to make ever so slightly.

The OTR

So what would his record have to be over the next several years if he stayed the same amount of years as Nutt end up with the same record?  I am not smart enough to do that high level math and research.  I figure someone on here is smart enough

PonderinHog

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 08:35:37 pm
So what would his record have to be over the next several years if he stayed the same amount of years as Nutt end up with the same record?  I am not smart enough to do that high level math and research.  I figure someone on here is smart enough
48-18

ricepig

The OTR

PonderinHog

WilsonHog

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 08:35:37 pm

In conference play, 32-13 (.711).

Bielema is currently 10-25, and for his career at Arkansas Nutt was 42-38.

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 16, 2017, 08:53:05 pm
You think he believes me?

I think he's dumb enough to believe anything......

orvillesghost

no..i agree with his point..I have as much chance of flying to the moon by flapping my arms as BB would have of mounting that kind of winning streak...

IMABIELEMA

EastexHawg

Spurrier went 34-2 in SEC games over one four year stretch at Florida.  I know that has little to do with the point of this thread, but it's impressive nonetheless.

jgphillips3

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 16, 2017, 08:55:05 pm

So, basically 2 wins this year and then go 6-2 for 5 straight years.

TomasPistola

I get your point, but I refuse to compare him to Nutt. The SEC wasn't even close to as strong during Nutt's tenure. Especially the west. But Bielema's record is still pretty awful.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

HognotinMemphis

SEC West wasn't as good in Nutt's years as it has been since 2007. So not a fair comparison. Yet, 10-24 is terrible, horrible and unforgivable. And that is why Bielema's last year as Arkansas' head football coach is 2017.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognitiveDissonance

Just because Petrino did better doesn't mean that Nutt was 'decidedly pedestrian, very mediocre...'
How can one watch an accomplished coach like Bielema flounder and still think that?

The Arkansas job is not easy. It says here going 42-38 in SEC play over 10 years is actually pretty good.

Just because Petrino was doing better doesn't change things. He was a great mind and we were darn lucky to get him.

Bielema < Nutt < Petrino

Torqued pork

It's been a terrible era. Can't wait for it to be over.

swineology

ChitownHawg

Quote from: TomasPistola on October 16, 2017, 10:35:14 pm
I get your point, but I refuse to compare him to Nutt. The SEC wasn't even close to as strong during Nutt's tenure. Especially the west. But Bielema's record is still pretty awful.

Agree
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

The NewEra

What have we seen to even remotely believe this might happen?

The NewEra

I heard a funny one liner yesterday on one of the call in shows.  I think it was Forest City Joe.

"The last five years under Bielema have made Houston Nutt look like Bear Bryant"

riccoar

Not a snowballs chance.  Saban has lost a total of 19 SEC games in 11 years at Alabama.  6 of those were in his very first season there.

Bigmac2

So you're advocating getting out of the SEC. I knew you would eventually see the light.  ;)

Hogwild

That's bull crap. The SEC isn't has strong now as it was back then. Currently the SEC West has only one team in the top 20, Bama.

10 years ago you had 5 national championship coaches in the conference, that's not including Tubberville and Richt.  This is the lowest the conference has been in twenty years and CBB can't get it done. Schools from the bayou, to the plains, swamp, and rocky top want to be rid of their coach.  Unfortunately when it comes to coaches we have the worst of the worst.

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

Razor1997

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 16, 2017, 08:55:05 pm

So he has zero chance of catching Nutt w/r/t wins or winning percentage, but if Bert somehow gets a sixth year he has a decent chance of catching Nutt in the loss column.

PorkRinds

The SEC was a different animal during the Nutt years. Plus Dmac.

jgphillips3

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 17, 2017, 08:31:19 am
The SEC was a different animal during the Nutt years. Plus Dmac.

Petrino coached during the height of the SEC and did just fine.  Of course, it isn't so much that the SEC was so much worse when HDN was coach as it was that the SEC West and East were flip flopped in his time so he had the same breaks an Eastern division coach has today.

Jimbob111

Awful is right. I bet Vandy and Kentucky has at least a close record to Beliema's, during the years he has been at Arkansas. That 3 and 9 season was the worst Hog coaching I've ever seen.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

Redhogs

Quote from: Hogwild on October 17, 2017, 08:00:23 am
That's bull crap. The SEC isn't has strong now as it was back then. Currently the SEC West has only one team in the top 20, Bama.

10 years ago you had 5 national championship coaches in the conference, that's not including Tubberville and Richt.  This is the lowest the conference has been in twenty years and CBB can't get it done. Schools from the bayou, to the plains, swamp, and rocky top want to be rid of their coach.  Unfortunately when it comes to coaches we have the worst of the worst.
All correct.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: The NewEra on October 17, 2017, 07:29:40 am
I heard a funny one liner yesterday on one of the call in shows.  I think it was Forest City Joe.

"The last five years under Bielema have made Houston Nutt look like Bear Bryant"
Isn't it amazing how FCJ can make such salient points about football and lose all sense when it comes to basketball and his hero Mike Anderson?

This is the same guy who called in last year and said Anderson didn't even have to win a game to keep his support. Yet he's an expert on what needs to happen in other sports.

Some people are just....uncommon.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 16, 2017, 11:17:38 pm
SEC West wasn't as good in Nutt's years as it has been since 2007. So not a fair comparison. Yet, 10-24 is terrible, horrible and unforgivable. And that is why Bielema's last year as Arkansas' head football coach is 2017.

True. I think you can make the argument that Nutt lost more games he should have won than Bielema has—can you say "Kentucky"?—so any way you twist the hypothetical, the gap between Nutt and Bielema should be even bigger. And that's not good.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Redhogs on October 17, 2017, 09:04:30 am
All correct.
The SEC, top to bottom, is about the same, tough league back then as it is now.
Just re-arrange divisions and teams which may be hot at the time. It's still the same tough league when you add it all up.

Saban was not at Bama...but he was at LSU and winning a championship there too.
Auburn had a 13-0 season in 2004.
Miss St was very tough in the late 90s.
The East teams were better then. Especially Tennessee.

I just don't see how people can claim the conference as a whole was radically different then vs now.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on October 17, 2017, 10:09:48 am
The SEC, top to bottom, is about the same, tough league back then as it is now.
Just re-arrange divisions and teams which may be hot at the time. It's still the same tough league when you add it all up.

Saban was not at Bama...but he was at LSU and winning a championship there too.
Auburn had a 13-0 season in 2004.
Miss St was very tough in the late 90s.
The East teams were better then. Especially Tennessee.

I just don't see how people can claim the conference as a whole was radically different then vs now.
Are they claiming this? As for me, I think the West is much more difficult now vs Nutt years. And the West teams were 3/4's of our schedule, then and now. So Nutt should have won more games than he did due to playing in the West, which was far weaker than the East then. East teams won the SECCG just about every year Nutt was Ark's head coach.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Razorback_2007

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on October 17, 2017, 12:11:54 am
Just because Petrino did better doesn't mean that Nutt was 'decidedly pedestrian, very mediocre...'
How can one watch an accomplished coach like Bielema flounder and still think that?

The Arkansas job is not easy. It says here going 42-38 in SEC play over 10 years is actually pretty good.

Just because Petrino was doing better doesn't change things. He was a great mind and we were darn lucky to get him.

Bielema < Nutt < Petrino

Bobby Petrino was 17-15 over his 4 year tenure as Boss Hog. That's a 53.1% winning percentage. Would he have been able to sustain that number over 10 years?... We'll never get to know. It would have been tough. Nutt's accomplishments with 3 SEC West titles and his 52.5 SEC mark over 10 years are all the more impressive at this turn in the road we find ourselves with Bret.
IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE ROAD YOUR LIFE IS ON...PAVE A NEW ONE

DeltaBoy

Bret just tanked it here.  Bottom Line. He tried and FAILED.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Hogwild on October 17, 2017, 08:00:23 am

This year the SEC is down.  Last year it was a little down as well.  Other than that, it's been as rough or tougher. 

Hogwild

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 17, 2017, 10:59:03 am
Are they claiming this? As for me, I think the West is much more difficult now vs Nutt years. And the West teams were 3/4's of our schedule, then and now. So Nutt should have won more games than he did due to playing in the West, which was far weaker than the East then. East teams won the SECCG just about every year Nutt was Ark's head coach.

Based on what?  Bama?

LSU won two national titles when Nutt was here.  They have regressed from a top 5 team to a top 25 team.
Auburn went undfeated in '04 and Tubberville's record was 80-36 while Nutt was here, better than Gus'
Ole Miss under Tubberville and Cutcliff had a better conference records than Freeze and Luke have had while CBB been here
Miss. State has been better recently than when Nutt was here, although State did win the SEC West in '98
Obviously Arkansas has taken a major step back when you compare the two records of Nutt & CBB.

jkstock04

Quote from: Razorback_2007 on October 17, 2017, 08:00:53 pm

Bobby Petrino was 17-15 over his 4 year tenure as Boss Hog. That's a 53.1% winning percentage. Would he have been able to sustain that number over 10 years?... We'll never get to know. It would have been tough. Nutt's accomplishments with 3 SEC West titles and his 52.5 SEC mark over 10 years are all the more impressive at this turn in the road we find ourselves with Bret.

Agreed. The longer this goes on with Bielema the more I'm beginning to realize Houston Nutt was a lot better of a coach than I gave him credit for at the time.

That's probably not saying much, but in comparison with Bielema? Our teams were overall COACHED a hell of a lot better back then. Plain and simple Houston Nutt and his staff were better coaches than what we have seen with Bielema.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys