Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC or Big 12?

Started by Ben, October 15, 2017, 07:06:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Knowing what you know now, if you were the AD before the SWC breakup, which conference would you have picked for the Hogs?

SEC
Big 12

Ben

Which conference would you have pushed for the Hogs to be in if you were the AD at the time? With the big dogs in the SEC, or with the same SWC rivals along with OU and Nebraska in the Big 12?
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Atlhogfan1

This again?  The Big 12 didn't exist. We were fortunate to have Broyles and for him to have gotten us into the SEC.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Seebs

Shaddup about the Big 12. Put your big boy pants on and improve to your rivals' level.

Quitter
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Seebs on October 15, 2017, 07:09:36 pm
Shaddup about the Big 12. Put your big boy pants on and improve to your rivals' level.

Quitter

To be fair. The Big 12 has at least three programs that where once rival of a sort.

Torqued pork

When did Nebraska rejoin the Big XII?

ncrebel

Amazing how stupid Hogville is.  Nebraska, Missouri, A&M, and Colorado are NEVER coming back to the big 12.  They would laugh their a$$es off if we went to that conference, and someone else would take our SEC spot (probably Texas or Oklahoma).  This would be he dumbest move ever by the university. 
Well, y'all need me, I'll be putting pictures of my arse on the internet.

SchrodingersHog

A better question might be would we have been better off staying in the SWC?  Let's assume the SWC would have stayed together, which is a fair assumption because our departure started the disintegration of the SWC.  Yes, we would have had to put up with Texas, but at least we were competitive most years.  The money issue is more complicated.  If we had never left the SWC and joined the SEC, maybe the SWC would have stayed at about the same level as the SEC.  The network contracts might have been about equally split between the two conferences.  A lot of hypotheticals.

The was a lot of fan support for leaving the SWC at the time.  However, we have never had the same level of success, or fan satisfaction since entering the SEC.  A classic case of be careful of what you wish for.

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Roaringboar

I have no doubt we'd be better in the Big 12, but I think our home should stay in the SEC.....I think it's awesome we get to play teams like LSU, Ole Miss, Alabama, Miss-State, A&M, and Auburn every single season rather than once every few years.......Though there are big teams in the Big 12, I just feel like, even in a down year, there's nothing like SEC football, even if we are bad......my problem right now isn't the losing as much as it is the fact we are barely competeing and the coaching staff has done nothing to develop a very talented roster.......I don't think we should throw in the towel on the SEC......I think we should just keep fighting on......who knows, maybe our next coach will lead us to a West title, maybe Cole Kelley turns into the future all-star QB this program needs him to be......though we have history with alot of the Big-12 schools, the SEC is one of the most storied conferences in college football, and I'm glad we're a part of that story......
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

(notOM)Rebel123

The Big 12 is one move away from imploding...

Ironhawg

What the OP does not take into account is that Arkansas was not going to receive an invitation to join the Big 8.  Had we not joined the SEC we were going to be left twisting in the wind and likely would have ended up in some conference like the Sunbelt.  IMO Arkansas fits better geographically in the present day Big 12, but unless there is a major conference realignment in the future, we would be silly to leave the SEC. 

Roaringboar

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 15, 2017, 07:37:54 pm

They screwed up by not expanding......I don't think they'll implode because Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, and Texas are just too talented......sure Texas is struggling right now, but Herman's really showing some signs of success in his first year, and I always feel that you need to look at year one as a rough year because of everything a coach is coming into......Still, that's beside my main point, they should've expanded to at least 12 teams.......Look at how teams like UCF, USF, and San Diego State are performing this season......they could've easily been decent Big 12 teams in my opinion and really changed the game up a bit, and they all pitched a bid I think to join, but because Texas and Oklahoma didn't want any recruiting competition it got blocked.......as long as they let two schools make all of the shots, that conference will be one of the lesser of the Power 5......my power 5 ranking goes:

1. ACC (This season only because of poor SEC performance)
2. SEC (Only because Bama and Georgia are so much better than everyone else in the country)
3. Big 10 (Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Michigan State lift them over Big 12 in my opinion)
4. Big 12 (Oklahoma, Ok State, and TCU I feel could top any Pac-12 program right now)
5. Pac-12 (I just don't think they have what it takes to take on teams like Bama, Penn State, TCU, or Clemson)

Quickdraw

I personally would rather see them in the Big 12 because it is easier traveling. But not a better conference. My wish list would be both conference emerge into one super conference but that will never happen.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Roaringboar on October 15, 2017, 07:49:01 pm
They screwed up by not expanding......I don't think they'll implode because Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, and Texas are just too talented......sure Texas is struggling right now, but Herman's really showing some signs of success in his first year, and I always feel that you need to look at year one as a rough year because of everything a coach is coming into......Still, that's beside my main point, they should've expanded to at least 12 teams.......Look at how teams like UCF, USF, and San Diego State are performing this season......they could've easily been decent Big 12 teams in my opinion and really changed the game up a bit, and they all pitched a bid I think to join, but because Texas and Oklahoma didn't want any recruiting competition it got blocked.......as long as they let two schools make all of the shots, that conference will be one of the lesser of the Power 5......my power 5 ranking goes:

1. ACC (This season only because of poor SEC performance)
2. SEC (Only because Bama and Georgia are so much better than everyone else in the country)
3. Big 10 (Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Michigan State lift them over Big 12 in my opinion)
4. Big 12 (Oklahoma, Ok State, and TCU I feel could top any Pac-12 program right now)
5. Pac-12 (I just don't think they have what it takes to take on teams like Bama, Penn State, TCU, or Clemson)

All it takes is for Texas to bolt or OU/OSU getting tired of Texas running the league.

HardCore

That is probably the reason for the big Arkansas push.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Roaringboar

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 15, 2017, 08:09:04 pm
All it takes is for Texas to bolt or OU/OSU getting tired of Texas running the league.

But it'll never happen because Oklahoma has just as much say as Texas.....if the Big 12 smells OU seeking an exit they will bend over backwards to make them happy and OU will stay......as for OSU, they won't leave unless it means big money somewhere, and I just don't see the Big 10 or ACC bringing them in which leaves the SEC, and I think they realize that wouldn't be great for their program.....they're good right now, but that doesn't mean they're good enough to compete in the SEC West year after year......nah......Big 12 is staying put for now......my eyes though are on the American Athletic to rise and really start emerging as a power conference......three teams in the top 25 right now, honestly should be four if Navy hadn't been dropped........now that conference could make things interesting.......

leroyhawg

I thought SEC would kick this one through the goal post....
God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Roaringboar on October 15, 2017, 08:14:12 pm
But it'll never happen because Oklahoma has just as much say as Texas.....if the Big 12 smells OU seeking an exit they will bend over backwards to make them happy and OU will stay......as for OSU, they won't leave unless it means big money somewhere, and I just don't see the Big 10 or ACC bringing them in which leaves the SEC, and I think they realize that wouldn't be great for their program.....they're good right now, but that doesn't mean they're good enough to compete in the SEC West year after year......nah......Big 12 is staying put for now......my eyes though are on the American Athletic to rise and really start emerging as a power conference......three teams in the top 25 right now, honestly should be four if Navy hadn't been dropped........now that conference could make things interesting.......

Well, you can talk about it all day long but we aren't leaving the SEC.

HawgWyld

Nah. The Big 12 isn't going anywhere.

Regardless, Arkansas should stay put. Slinking off to another conference would look terrible, like the Razorbacks just couldn't cut it. Want to kill recruiting? That would do it...

leroyhawg

Quote from: Roaringboar on October 15, 2017, 07:36:13 pm
I have no doubt we'd be better in the Big 12, but I think our home should stay in the SEC.....I think it's awesome we get to play teams like LSU, Ole Miss, Alabama, Miss-State, A&M, and Auburn every single season rather than once every few years.......Though there are big teams in the Big 12, I just feel like, even in a down year, there's nothing like SEC football, even if we are bad......my problem right now isn't the losing as much as it is the fact we are barely competeing and the coaching staff has done nothing to develop a very talented roster.......I don't think we should throw in the towel on the SEC......I think we should just keep fighting on......who knows, maybe our next coach will lead us to a West title, maybe Cole Kelley turns into the future all-star QB this program needs him to be......though we have history with alot of the Big-12 schools, the SEC is one of the most storied conferences in college football, and I'm glad we're a part of that story......
take some SEC teams along...im sure they're tired of the same old darn

Navin Johnson

leroyhawg

Quote from: HawgWyld on October 15, 2017, 08:18:01 pm
Nah. The Big 12 isn't going anywhere.

Regardless, Arkansas should stay put. Slinking off to another conference would look terrible, like the Razorbacks just couldn't cut it. Want to kill recruiting? That would do it...
we are killing it in recruiting every year lol

Navin Johnson

rhog1

Who in their right mind would want to leave the SEC. A stable league that is raking in the cash for a league that probably wont survive its grant of rights. I am sure we would love being in a conference where only one school has a network, there is unequal revenue sharing, and one school and state controls the politics of the conference so everything always goes Texas's way.  I mean I have heard the grass is always greener but we are standing in our nice green lawns looking at our neighbors nuclear wasteland and saying that looks nice.   

BartIV

SEC is the perfect place for us. We have made the SEC Championship and a Sugar Bowl which means we can compete. Moving because we can't win would be an embarrassment. We might as well join the Sun Belt at that point so we can win it every other year.
I love the SEC. We just need the right coach. One that thinks outside the box.

Roaringboar

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 15, 2017, 08:16:19 pm
Well, you can talk about it all day long but we aren't leaving the SEC.

Didn't say we were, I'm in support of us NOT leaving......maybe you should read everyone's posts before you make lame comments.....

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Roaringboar on October 15, 2017, 08:30:38 pm
Didn't say we were, I'm in support of us NOT leaving......maybe you should read everyone's posts before you make lame comments.....

Stop being an a**

Sweet Feet

Maybe i am misreading, but isn't the post asking you which conference would you choose at the time the SWC was falling apart? Not right at this present moment. I don't think the post is asking what the choice would be right now. It's a retrospect question.

Roaringboar

HogCzar1

The entire premise of this is asinine.

We aren't leaving the SEC.

Nor should we.

What we need to do is to find the leaders who can take the resources of a top 15 resource level school, and use them to allow us to be at the very least competitive in the SEC.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Sweet Feet on October 15, 2017, 08:38:33 pm
Maybe i am misreading, but isn't the post asking you which conference would you choose at the time the SWC was falling apart? Not right at this present moment. I don't think the post is asking what the choice would be right now. It's a retrospect question.
Yea. That was the OP's question. But considering there was no Big 12 at the time...hard to pick a non-existent conference over the SEC. now had he asked, Big 8 or SEC, then that would have been more plausible.

(notOM)Rebel123

RazorbacksFTW

Maybe if Texas wasn't in the Big 12 and the schools split all the money like they do in the SEC but that's not how things are.

Texas pretty much runs the Big 12 because Texas thinks they always have to be the boss that's why I wouldn't want to be in the same conference with them.

Arkansas made the right choice.

RazorbacksFTW

Also SEC is the best conference in college football with tons of television exposure and the school makes lots of money by simply being in the SEC.

Arkansas won't leave unless they kick us out lol.

Roaringboar

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 15, 2017, 08:41:01 pm
Grow up. Good night.

Funny coming from the guy who stooped down to name calling......you have a wonderful evening  ;D ;D ;D

devildoghawg

Arkansas was competitive in the SEC until our 4xl coach took the reigns.  We weren't world beaters, but we played everyone close, and won a lot of games we weren't supposed to. 
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

Cinco de Hogo

At the time knowing only what you could know at that time it was the correct decision.  What has happened within the BOT and RF since then was not foreseeable, between the two we have truly been dysfunctional. 

As of right now, if I had influence within the BOT and RF, I would be doing some back channel work on a new and vastly improved Big 12.   If things could be worked out with the right teams we could afford a slight drop in revenue.  If we improved our win rate in football it could be made up.

hoss cartrack

why are we even discussing this? we aren't moving.  those who want to move are afraid of the competition and looking for a "safe place"

grow a set....and face the task.  you don't run away...you man up and get better.

hopefully we will take the first step toward getting better with a new coach and in a perfect world...a new athletic director. 

i'll add this...if we want to stat attracting the best talent in the state again...we need to start playing the kind of football that our in state athletes are playing.  we won't get the top qbs and receivers with a smash mouth philosophy.  sure you have to run the ball...but you can't out alabama alabama. 
hey baby....you look like a real bad idea.   come on over herel

leroyhawg

That's a lot closer than it should be

Navin Johnson

DeltaBoy

Stay where your wanted!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HawgWyld

Quote from: leroyhawg on October 15, 2017, 08:19:39 pm
we are killing it in recruiting every year lol

You know, it's hard to argue against that. Our recruiting, however, is another reason to dislike Bielema...

Tusks

Only if MO, NE, A/M & CO go with us.  No LHN.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hoss cartrack on October 15, 2017, 09:17:01 pm
why are we even discussing this? we aren't moving.  those who want to move are afraid of the competition and looking for a "safe place"

grow a set....and face the task.  you don't run away...you man up and get better.

You seriously think playing Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, aTm, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, West Virginia would be running away from big boy football?  The only way it would happen is if those teams were to form the conference and revenue sharing was equalized.  I don't think anybody wants the old SWC back.

hoss cartrack

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 15, 2017, 09:49:00 pm
You seriously think playing Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, aTm, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, West Virginia would be running away from big boy football?  The only way it would happen is if those teams were to form the conference and revenue sharing was equalized.  I don't think anybody wants the old SWC back.

do you seriously think at this point that nebraska....baylor...texas tech...iowa state and kansas are big boy football?   

no.give me five different teams and we will talk.  even texas is a maybe right now.

leroyhawg

I think we should take the teams from the SEC that are sick of Bamas crap, and teams from big 12 that want to leave, and somehow come up with a workable # East West, North ,South and build from scratch a new Conference for some damn good schools

Navin Johnson

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hoss cartrack on October 15, 2017, 09:55:36 pm
do you seriously think at this point that nebraska....baylor...texas tech...iowa state and kansas are big boy football?   

no.give me five different teams and we will talk.  even texas is a maybe right now.

Well aren't those teams as good as the bottom of the SEC?  Maybe even better except for Kansas, nobody is as bad as Kansas football but then Kansas is basketball.

hoss cartrack

and thats my point....dont be afraid of the big boys who kick our butts.   do something and be as god as they are. 

leroyhawg

The Television contract will be there, plenty of kids to go around, like giving a new start to Coaches Schools that got left out before WIFI, now you can create whole new Conferences that will change the NCAA landscape, you mention this to leagues  .  Like SEC and tv like ESPN and several newer ones schools like Bama going to start whining.

Going to be fun! The good ol boy network of the South could be cut to shreds.....

Navin Johnson

leroyhawg

The numbers so far are really shocking and shows it is possible, with the internet it's all possible,

Eff the old  gard that has ruined college sports for money

Navin Johnson

Hawghiggs

We should wait until the Big 12's GOR is about to expire. Then collude with several current Big 12 programs and A&M to form a New SWC.

( New SWC )

1, Arkansas
  2, Kansas
  3, New Mexico 
  4, Oklahoma
  5, Oklahoma state
  6, TCU
  7, Texas
  8, Texas A&M
  9, Texas Tech

Not so fun fact. Arkansas would be the 3rd worst team in this conference this season.

jvanhorn

Quote from: ncrebel on October 15, 2017, 07:30:39 pm
Amazing how stupid Hogville is.  Nebraska, Missouri, A&M, and Colorado are NEVER coming back to the big 12.  They would laugh their a$$es off if we went to that conference, and someone else would take our SEC spot (probably Texas or Oklahoma).  This would be he dumbest move ever by the university. 

Texas isn't taking anyone spot.  Once they get to winning.   They are taking their Longhorn network and becoming the next Notre Dame.  They don't need no stinking conference.  Seems like the politics in Oklahoma makes it just about impossible for Oklahoma to move without Oklahoma State.

jvanhorn

Quote from: leroyhawg on October 15, 2017, 09:57:13 pm
I think we should take the teams from the SEC that are sick of Bamas crap, and teams from big 12 that want to leave, and somehow come up with a workable # East West, North ,South and build from scratch a new Conference for some damn good schools

By Bamas crap.  Do you mean tired of them winning all the time.  As far as I know all monies are distributed equally, from Arkansas and Vanderbilt on up.  So you want to leave because you are jealous and envous because they do a better job of winning than you do?