Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John White

Started by Boss Hog in the Arkansas, October 14, 2017, 01:58:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I've seen his name pop up here and there recently. Who exactly is this guy and how was he able to control so many things within the program. Im pretty young (by hogville standards anyway) so I have no knowledge of him
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Pig Mania

Former chancellor at UA.  If you believe HV, he's the devil incarnate. The reality is he has done a tremendous amount for the university with regard to fundraising and academic improvement. He was chancellor in the later Nolan years and when he was fired and White is usually blamed (wrongly).

Kevin

he priority was to turn Arkansas into vandy or rice
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Tusks

He thought the UA could be the Harvard of the south.  He wanted to neuter the athletic department and he did.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

bville_hog

Quote from: Pig Mania on October 14, 2017, 02:22:48 pm
Former chancellor at UA.  If you believe HV, he's the devil incarnate. The reality is he has done a tremendous amount for the university with regard to fundraising and academic improvement. He was chancellor in the later Nolan years and when he was fired and White is usually blamed (wrongly).

Hello Mrs. White

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Like?
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Pig Mania

Look at endowment levels when he started in the 90's compared to today (4 or 5 times greater, just crossed $1 billion). Yes, as an academic his first priority is the school but if you want something else out of your chancellor you just don't understand how a university system works. He didn't try to "turn us into Rice".

People think athletic woes are his fault for dumb reasons. Nolan was fired because he was embarrassing the university, his superiors, and not winning. We suck in football now because we hired a Big ten coach who isn't connected to recruiting here and wasn't as good as many thought.

Ghost Writer in the Sty

White had previously been at Ga Tech and insisted that AD Broyles not pick the next coach in 1997 and a committee be used instead.  Result was Houston Nutt rather than Broyles' choice of Tommy Tubberville.  Later on he wanted to fire Broyles as the AD but was told by the powers that he himself would be fired way before that happened.  Was a terrible chancellor for UA athletics.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Pig Mania on October 14, 2017, 02:50:51 pm
Look at endowment levels when he started in the 90's compared to today (4 or 5 times greater, just crossed $1 billion). Yes, as an academic his first priority is the school but if you want something else out of your chancellor you just don't understand how a university system works. He didn't try to "turn us into Rice".

People think athletic woes are his fault for dumb reasons. Nolan was fired because he was embarrassing the university, his superiors, and not winning. We suck in football now because we hired a Big ten coach who isn't connected to recruiting here and wasn't as good as many thought.
What did he do for athletics? Thats also part of the school

snoblind

Why don't you tell them about his fine work with the University of Arkansas Press or who the face man was for the fund raising as well as the advantage of having Wal-Mart in your backyard?

Pig Mania

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 14, 2017, 02:54:51 pm
What did he do for athletics? Thats also part of the school

Not really what you hire a Chancellor for. Broyles was the long time athletic director. People say he interfered but also forget that he is the athletic director's boss. If you want positives during his tenure, off the top of my head:

DVH hired
Razorback stadium South endzone expansion
More track titles and facility improvements

grayhawg

Quote from: Pig Mania on October 14, 2017, 03:05:12 pm
Not really what you hire a Chancellor for. Broyles was the long time athletic director. People say he interfered but also forget that he is the athletic director's boss. If you want positives during his tenure, off the top of my head:

DVH hired

I'm positive he neutered the football program

Pig Mania

Quote from: grayhawg on October 14, 2017, 03:06:52 pm
I'm positive he neutered the football program

Any specific reasons why?
Lot of speculation on the part of the chancellor haters here. The truth is the Chancellors aren't these sport obsessed fans like the general public. It's the job of the AD to run the business and manage the fanbase. Athletics is a moneymaking/marketing branch of the university. White, Gearhart, Steinmetz and other chancellors/presidents care about the academics and the research of the university. I've met a couple of those 2 and trust me, sports is not top 10 on their priority list.

I wouldn't really give athletic success credit to White or a chancellor either. Just making it clear the chancellor isn't really as involved as you might think.

Arthur pigby sellers.

I was in a fraternity during his time at UA. Lots of rules had already been imposed on the Greek system prior to his coming, and it was running smoothly with few violations when he took over. Unfortunately White made it a priority to try and destroy the geek system. He kicked multiple houses off campus for minor infractions. He overstepped his boundaries and interfered in athletics as well.

onebadrubi

You are FOS.  White single handedly ruin the basketball program because he wanted to prove he was more powerful than Nolan.  White also is responsible for not allowing the AD who was a great football mind hire who he wanted for a football coach, so we ended up with numb nutt (Nutt).

He hated to see the razorback program become powerful and a bigger figure than himself in the 90's.  He made wrong decision after wrong decision.  You can't give me 2 decisions he made that were actually good for this university.   

Tusks

Really guys, really.  There's no reason to debate what JW did to the athletic department.  Its there in the losses on the playing field.

Time to move on to more important things.  He's teaching and gone from the scene.  Once JL is gone then anything to do with JW and athletics will be gone from the system and the hogs can start coming back.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

onebadrubi

Quote from: Pig Mania on October 14, 2017, 03:05:12 pm

DVH hired

You attributing the track titles and south endzone to white is like attributing the north endzone expansion to Bielema...  It was going to happen with the growth in revenue (endzone that is).  More track titles is because we are a dominant program for something no body pays attention too, I'd be shocked if white even knew we were doing it.  He also knew he was more powerful in the public eye over the track program. 

You are really reaching to protect white.

grayhawg

Quote from: Pig Mania on October 14, 2017, 03:13:19 pm
Lot of speculation on the part of the chancellor haters here. The truth is the Chancellors aren't these sport obsessed fans like the general public. It's the job of the AD to run the business and manage the fanbase. Athletics is a moneymaking/marketing branch of the university. White, Gearhart, Steinmetz and other chancellors/presidents care about the academics and the research of the university. I've met a couple of those 2 and trust me, sports is not top 10 on their priority list.

I wouldn't really give athletic success credit to White or a chancellor either. Just making it clear the chancellor isn't really as involved as you might think.
John White was.  Aside from 4 good years under Petrino in football we have been irrelevant in the SEC when he began to assert his authority.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on October 14, 2017, 03:15:06 pm
I was in a fraternity during his time at UA. Lots of rules had already been imposed on the Greek system prior to his coming, and it was running smoothly with few violations when he took over. Unfortunately White made it a priority to try and destroy the geek system. He kicked multiple houses off campus for minor infractions. He overstepped his boundaries and interfered in athletics as well.

Please give some details on this.  I believe I know what you are talking about specifically but am interested to confirm.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Pig Mania on October 14, 2017, 03:13:19 pm

Thats just it, he involved himself when he didn't need too, multiple times.

snoblind

Isn't the University still paying him a full professor's salary?  Is he even teaching?  Has to be getting close to 75-80.

Pig Mania

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 14, 2017, 03:15:57 pm
You are FOS.  White single handedly ruin the basketball program because he wanted to prove he was more powerful than Nolan.  White also is responsible for not allowing the AD who was a great football mind hire who he wanted for a football coach, so we ended up with numb nutt (Nutt).

He hated to see the razorback program become powerful and a bigger figure than himself in the 90's.  He made wrong decision after wrong decision.  You can't give me 2 decisions he made that were actually good for this university.

Lol.  Now he hates Greeks and I'm sure you guys will find some more things to blame him for. He was Sigma Nu here if I remember correctly. Don't think he hates the greeks. Second, the Chancellor didn't turn in to Palpatine just making every decision. There's also a board of trustees involved. Finally, Nutt was a helluva lot better than the current coach. I'm not all that convinced Tuberville would have been some homerun hire like yall think. If you look at records since we've been in the SEC we're below the historically better programs, above the worse ones. It's not that hard to understand, people.

Pig Mania

Quote from: snoblind on October 14, 2017, 03:24:16 pm
Isn't the University still paying him a full professor's salary?  Is he even teaching?  Has to be getting close to 75-80.

yes he's teaching

26.2Hog

John White was totally inept when messing with the athletic department. 

He put that stupid committee together to hire our football coach because "that's the way we hired faculty when I was at Georgia Tech."

Good Grief.

grayhawg

Quote from: Pig Mania on October 14, 2017, 03:27:45 pm
yes he's teaching
You can quit pimping your husband Mrs Smith.

Pig Mania

Quote from: grayhawg on October 14, 2017, 03:29:43 pm
You can quit pimping your husband Mrs Smith.

Good one.  You clearly know more than me

Pig Mania

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 14, 2017, 03:21:50 pm
You attributing the track titles and south endzone to white is like attributing the north endzone expansion to Bielema...  It was going to happen with the growth in revenue (endzone that is).  More track titles is because we are a dominant program for something no body pays attention too, I'd be shocked if white even knew we were doing it.  He also knew he was more powerful in the public eye over the track program. 

You are really reaching to protect white.

I didn't attribute that to White.  Read the post again

Lady Razorback

Quote from: Pig Mania on October 14, 2017, 03:26:43 pm
Lol.  Now he hates Greeks and I'm sure you guys will find some more things to blame him for. He was Sigma Nu here if I remember correctly. Don't think he hates the greeks. Second, the Chancellor didn't turn in to Palpatine just making every decision. There's also a board of trustees involved. Finally, Nutt was a helluva lot better than the current coach. I'm not all that convinced Tuberville would have been some homerun hire like yall think. If you look at records since we've been in the SEC we're below the historically better programs, above the worse ones. It's not that hard to understand, people.

I would have taken Tuberville's success at Auburn, which is where he went after Ole Miss, here at Arkansas.  He was anything but ho hum. 

Con el Cerdos

Well, White was a little more involved in the day to day operations of a couple of Razorback athletic programs than he should have been. 

He was definitely involved in firing Nolan Richardson.

Took the hiring duties away from Frank Broyles when we had a HC opening after Danny Ford was fired.  White, rather than let Broyles make the hire, formed a committee who recommended Houston Nutt.  We ended up stuck with him for 10 years

He even tried, unsuccessfully to fire AD Frank Broyles.  Devil? . . . yeah.

Pig Mania

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on October 14, 2017, 03:45:29 pm
Well, White was a little more involved in the day to day operations of a couple of Razorback athletic programs than he should have been. 

He was definitely involved in firing Nolan Richardson.

Took the hiring duties away from Frank Broyles when we had a HC opening after Danny Ford was fired.  White, rather than let Broyles make the hire, formed a committee who recommended Houston Nutt.  We ended up stuck with him for 10 years

He even tried, unsuccessfully to fire AD Frank Broyles.  Devil? . . . yeah.

I never said he wasn't involved in firing Nolan. Nolan should have been fired so that's a non-issue. Nutt only took us to Atlanta twice. I would take a run like Nutt's right now over the embarrassment that's been Bielema. We probably punched above our weight under HDN. Sorry if that bursts your bubble.

I believe White did get involved in the hiring process of football coaches to a point that he assisted in wrecking the end result.  That is part of the process still in place.  We have people making decisions concerning how we hire that important position (HEAD FOOTBALL COACH) that for whatever reason don't know what to do.  They give the authority to some person who doesn't know what the hell to do.  This isn't debatable as the results are clearly in on this.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Pig Mania on October 14, 2017, 03:50:31 pm
I never said he wasn't involved in firing Nolan. Nolan should have been fired so that's a non-issue. Nutt only took us to Atlanta twice. I would take a run like Nutt's right now over the embarrassment that's been Bielema. We probably punched above our weight under HDN. Sorry if that bursts your bubble.
Yes, actually you did. Last sentence of your 1st post on this thread. Im sure you'll go back and edit that though. You are full of it and anything you say from here on out will be taken with a grain of salt  ::)

Hoggish1

Quote from: snoblind on October 14, 2017, 03:24:16 pm

A full prof. salary?  LMAO—he's being paid his full Chancellor salary to lead a seminar class.  Think it may be once a month, too?  How do you like that?

HoggyCat

I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Pig Mania

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 14, 2017, 04:15:30 pm
Yes, actually you did. Last sentence of your 1st post on this thread. Im sure you'll go back and edit that though. You are full of it and anything you say from here on out will be taken with a grain of salt  ::)

I said it's wrong White is blamed. Nolan fired himself with his idiotic comments in public and lackluster final seasons. It's obvious you just wanted to be fed criticisms of White by starting this thread. You ask me to expand on my posts which are backed by numbers and personal exposure to White and powers that be in the university. Yet most other posts in here are ridiculous claims of White having a vendetta against football (backed by nothing).

My last comment on this. Most of you overestimate how much a chancellor cares about the athletic department or their involvement in it. Go on blaming the boogeyman though.

Inhogswetrust

He wasn't blamed for Nolan getting fired. He did approve it after Frank urged it. He did a good job fund raising but that's about it. He got way to involved in athletics and the committee thing started his disdain by some. Later he followed that up with a few other dumb things. IF he would have kept his nose out of athletics operations he would have been fine, well except that ego part as well.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DoctorSusscrofa

Those who think they are superior to White (let's call them the White Supremacists) are all still posting about how White ruin (sic) football and basketball.  They're exaggerating. White was the boss. He made some decisions and some people got their panties in a wad.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pig Mania on October 14, 2017, 03:50:31 pm

I'll add a few things here from my perspective.

I believe that Nolan was his own worst enemy but everything that happened to him, he didn't deserve. He was a great basketball coach but he allowed personal beliefs to mix with his job and at the time, that didn't work very well for him.

Most notably, White endorsed the big payout to Nutt when he left and had a hand in the committee that hired him. That really wasn't any of White's business on either count and he shouldn't have been involved. After some of the stunts that Nutt pulled while he was here (and for some reason thought that he was untouchable), White should have been in a "hand's off" mode with his departure since he had a hand in his hiring. It made him look bad to endorse that pay out to HDN.

No one is likely as good as we think that they are and neither are they usually as bad as we think that they are, but regardless of what he has contributed to the University as a whole, he has certainly done some things that have essentially, shot himself in the foot from a public perspective.
Go Hogs Go!

snoblind

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 14, 2017, 04:21:31 pm
A full prof. salary?  LMAO—he's being paid his full Chancellor salary to lead a seminar class.  Think it may be once a month, too?  How do you like that?

Geez.  Knew there was a reason I was not donating to the UofA general fund.  Sounds like the house cleaning needs to go up the line.  ;)

Pig Mania

Quote from: snoblind on October 14, 2017, 04:44:01 pm
Geez.  Knew there was a reason I was not donating to the UofA general fund.  Sounds like the house cleaning needs to go up the line.  ;)

Lol wow I didn't see that post before. He teaches several courses a week like any other prof. Look it up in the list of classes if you don't believe me. More BS being spewed here as usual.

snoblind

Quote from: Pig Mania on October 14, 2017, 04:48:25 pm
Lol wow I didn't see that post before. He teaches several courses a week like any other prof. Look it up in the list of classes if you don't believe me. More BS being spewed here as usual.

OK

HoggyCat

Look at the price of vehicles compared to that time.

Look at the price of clothing compared to that time.

Look at the price of anything compared to that time.

Population is higher, which means more people that give. Incomes are higher, which means there's more to give.

Apples to oranges.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

HoginIllinois

He basically fired Gary Blair because he decided the Ladybacks needed a female head coach.

onebadrubi

Quote from: HoginIllinois on October 14, 2017, 05:16:16 pm
He basically fired Gary Blair because he decided the Ladybacks needed a female head coach.

He also hired Stan Heath just to hire a black head basketball coach.

Sivad

Thought he was the smartest guy in the room on every subject including athletics.
He took AD Broyles authority to run the athletic department away from him, resulting in the stupid Committee that gave us Houston Dale Nutt over Broyles selection of Tommy Tuberville.
Tried to fire Broyles outright, JFB saved by Jim Lindsey resulting in JFB owing Lindsey who loved his pet rock HDN.
Tried his best to destroy all fraternities on the UA campus.
He is the worst thing to ever happen to the UA athletic program.

WhenPigsFly

October 14, 2017, 07:05:09 pm #45 Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 07:15:27 pm by WhenPigsFly
White also took the basketball hiring out of Broyles' hands after Altman bolted, hiring the search firm that gave us John Pelphrey.

Torqued pork

Quote from: mrp on October 14, 2017, 02:22:58 pm
Prior chancellor. Clipped Broyles wings and decided he knew what was best for athletics in addition to academics.

And here we are.

Dark Helmet Hog

D rule for junior college transfers
could have had Self after Nolan
Tried to destroy student paper
Helped ruin a track dynasty
Helped run off Gary Blair
Responsible for Nutt

The list goes on and on.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Quote from: Pig Mania on October 14, 2017, 03:26:43 pm
White kicked the sigma Nu off campus and basically destroyed his own fraternity.
At that time he became chancellor fraternities could have parties at their houses as long as security was hired. Multiple rules were applied to any on campus party including no visible alcohol. This wasn't enough for White he stopped all house parties and people were forced to have off campus parties.  Since most bars wouldn't allow under age people Greeks often had to go out of town to have parties when it would have been much safer to have them at the house.

Hogs-n-Roses

You mean "I need a shower after reading that" John White. Then turned the investigation over to Houston Nutt. That John White?