Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bowl Game

Started by Hawgphish, November 21, 2015, 10:00:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: Hawgphish on November 21, 2015, 10:00:56 pm
With one game left against missouri, win or lose we will get a low tier bowl.  But please do not accept a bid against a mid major spread team with something to prove.  We will get embarrassed.

A Team that has lost to the opponents that we have lost to should STAY HOME and some Coaches should be UPGRADED. We have played 11 games and these kids can't TACKLE... Keep in mind these are supposed to be our best players? If they can't Tackle, they should not dress on game day. If they couldn't Tackle in H.S. why are they here? Would we recruit players that can't RUN?

Stay HOME, don't take the chance to be embarrassed while playing Slippery Rock or Southside Industrial Technical College.

BR

SEC has 9 Teams Bowl Eligible right now, IF MIZZOU & Kentucky win next Week that is 11... More money for the SEC...  Hope we Roll Mizzou, but not counting on anything..
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Redhogs

Quote from: arkansasrazorback on November 22, 2015, 11:23:17 am
all i know is if we play a Big 12 team we will get killed
Already did by a lower tier Big 12 team this season.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hawginbigd1

Weed eater or liberty please, I want to get my blackjack on and not have to drive over 150 mile!

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: BR on November 22, 2015, 11:29:39 am
SEC has 9 Teams Bowl Eligible right now, IF MIZZOU & Kentucky win next Week that is 11... More money for the SEC...  Hope we Roll Mizzou, but not counting on anything..

Mizzou will play very hard for Coach Pinkel. I hope we show up? Maybe eve tackle someone? The breakdown of fundamentals like the basics of stepping down in the hole to block on FGs and basic Tackling gets old. You just can't fix the lack of concentration of some of these kids that do the same thing week after week.

GoHogs1091

If we win against Missouri, then I figure we will go to the Music City Bowl and play Indiana (Indiana should be able to win against Purdue in order for Indiana to get Bowl eligible).

If we lose against Missouri, then I figure we will go to the Independence Bowl and play Tulsa (Tulsa should be able to win against Tulane in order for Tulsa to get Bowl eligible).

WilsonHog

First of all, even the mention of turning down a bowl game is ludicrous, and would draw laughter from ADs and coaches across the country. More practice time, a reward for players and fans, etc.

I'm hoping for Music City, but will also go to the Liberty and very probably to Shreveport. I had a blast at the Texas Bowl last year.

Dr. Starcs

Independence tie in is acc I believe.

Don't think it would be Tulsa opponent there.

OPoraquê

There may be one other factor here: the way BA and the boyzz are playing (IF THEY STAY HEALTHY THESE LAST TWO GAMES) and are putting up almost video-game numbers like the early 90s University of Houston teams did (but in big venues against SEC teams that are ranked and have the manpower to fight back) it might BE a motivation for some bowl matchup with a high-scoring team.

And there's the possibility (though you can't treat it as "probability") that Allen and his team could be forced to respond with numbers that could make the football historians say "David Klingner WHO?!?!"

Just a thought.

(EDIT:  When is the last time that the U of A averaged 50 points per game over a five-game stretch?)

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on November 22, 2015, 01:32:33 pm
Independence tie in is acc I believe.

Don't think it would be Tulsa opponent there.

The Independence Bowl has a Conference Back-Up that they can use (if they want to).

The most recent SB Nation Updated Bowl Projections (5 hours ago) has us in the Liberty Bowl against Kansas State.

That SB Nation Updated Bowl Projections has Cincinnati and Utah State in the Independence Bowl.

hogcard1964

Quote from: BR on November 22, 2015, 11:29:39 am

Missouri is not good. We will roll them.

reddogjcss

My pick would be Texas bowl against TT.
An Birmingham against state would be interesting but really can't see it happening, u basically pulling fans from one pool, can't see them doing that cause they would be worried about ticket sales.
My gut says Independance DUCK bowl, not sure who we would play though

LZH

I don't expect last night's loss to knock us down a whole lot from one of the bowls we would have been playing in had we have won.

hogcard1964

Quote from: reddogjcss on November 22, 2015, 01:59:29 pm
My pick would be Texas bowl against TT.
An Birmingham against state would be interesting but really can't see it happening, u basically pulling fans from one pool, can't see them doing that cause they would be worried about ticket sales.
My gut says Independance DUCK bowl, not sure who we would play though

If it's the independence, we could get Louisville, Duke, Virginia Tech or Miami.

If it's Birmingham, we may get South Florida, UConn or Cincinnati.

hogcard1964

Quote from: LZH on November 22, 2015, 02:05:18 pm
I don't expect last night's loss to knock us down a whole lot from one of the bowls we would have been playing in had we have won.

It has

...a lot.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: WhatsitHOGabout on November 21, 2015, 10:44:46 pm
Pretty sure the Toledo game killed our season.

Pretty sure the season isn't killed since we have two games left........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on November 22, 2015, 11:29:24 am
A Team that has lost to the opponents that we have lost to should STAY HOME and some Coaches should be UPGRADED. We have played 11 games and these kids can't TACKLE... Keep in mind these are supposed to be our best players? If they can't Tackle, they should not dress on game day. If they couldn't Tackle in H.S. why are they here? Would we recruit players that can't RUN?

Stay HOME, don't take the chance to be embarrassed while playing Slippery Rock or Southside Industrial Technical College.

^ This right here might be the dumbest post pod the whole season..............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

FBREW000

No, the loss last night did not hurt our bowl choice.

Cmon folks... We were and are in the group of 6 pick bowls.   Liberty, Texas, Music City, Belk, Outback, Tax Slayer

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2015/0712/15sec_bowls.pdf

To be chosen by the conference office in consolidation with the member institutions and the bowls. 

Keep in mind the following, not likely to go back to the bowl we were in last season.  No Texas

leaves Liberty, Music City, Belk, Tax Slayer, and Outback...

Last season TAMU was in Liberty, Tenn was in Tax Slayer, LSU was in Music City I believe.  Season Prior Miss State was in Liberty

My best guess, Music City, Liberty, or Belk. 
Hoping for Liberty for obvious reasons, Fan participation, travel, etc.  Belk wouldn't draw well at all.  Nor Tax Slayer imho.  Music city wouldn't be bad...

Hogtimes

With one game left against missouri, win or lose we will get a low tier bowl.  But please do not accept a bid against a mid major spread team with something to prove.  We will get embarrassed.

I don't think we should be afraid to play anybody.  We play the toughest competition in the world.

Shrevepork

Quote from: Hawghiggs on November 21, 2015, 11:42:30 pm
I'd like the indy bowl with Austin Allen or Rafe Peavy as the start quarterback.  Not that Brandon has been playing out of this world for the Hawgs. Its just that if we are going to a crappy bowl then we might as well get some playing experience to next seasons starter.

Explain why it's a crappy bowl.

Dr. Starcs

Are you saying its a good bowl?

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 22, 2015, 03:52:03 pm
Pretty sure the season isn't killed since we have two games left........................
ummmm.  the season was killed a long time ago.  a 7-5 season sucks to most.  Sucks to me.  I guess a lot of fans are happy with that.  Whatever floats your boat.

WilsonHog

A bowl game is a reward for the people with the most skin in the game - the players.

It also is a chance to get another couple of weeks of practice in.

Oh, and the thing about wanting to start Austin or Rafe; following your line of logic, we should also start Kody Walker, Jack Kraus, and maybe one or two reserve linemen. You good with that, too?

hoglady

Any bowl can be a good bowl game or bad bowl game - just depends on matchups.
If we are matched with a decent Power 5 school then it would be a decent bowl game no matter where it's played.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

WilsonHog

Music City would be my first choice; I like Nashville at Christmas time. But, I've never been to Charlotte or Shreveport, so those bowls would offer a new experience. I never really wanted to go to the Texas Bowl, but I did and had a great time.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 22, 2015, 08:26:03 am
Can you find a post of mine, where I claimed we'd lose to LSU and Ole Miss.? I pickled us to win 9 games this year.

I'll hang up and listen.

When we were sitting 1-3 you were saying we'd only win one more game, the UTM game. 

Maybe you need to see your neurologist if you really believe what you're saying there.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: Hawghiggs on November 22, 2015, 10:32:26 am
Didn't say he was. Without BA we probably wouldn't be going to a bowl game. Just said it was time to pass the torcch.

Aren't bowl games supposed to be rewards for the season?  What message will it send to the other QB's on the roster and recruits if we sat a 5th year senior QB in his last game as a Razorback?  I like to see subs getting experience too but I don't think that's the way to go.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

bvillepig

How about Hogs vs Louisville ?       LOL

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Hogarusa on November 22, 2015, 10:30:51 am
80 teams get this "reward."  I would love to see coaches start using low tier bowl games as the exhibitions they are and geta head start on next year

Rediculous.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

thefisher

Quote from: Hawghiggs on November 22, 2015, 10:38:56 am
Exactly. Getting Austin valuable game time experience could be what sets the tone for next season.

And causes you to lose your bowl game! Just win the game ... all of the players get several extra weeks of practice in just by making the bowl game.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

hogcard1964

Quote from: bvillepig on November 22, 2015, 04:55:31 pm
How about Hogs vs Louisville ?       LOL

In the independence?  Crummy bowl.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hogarusa on November 22, 2015, 11:28:51 am
Right, it's not going to happen since nobody has ever done it.  I just don't see how a Liberty/Independence/Music City Bowl game is considered a reward.  It wasn't a preseason goal, I wouldn't think.  A Mizzou win at home on Senior Day would trump any bowl win imo.  I know it isn't happening

Wonder what our players would say? Think they would turn down a bowl bid?

PigWig

Quote from: Tom Bennett on November 22, 2015, 01:24:41 pm
First of all, even the mention of turning down a bowl game is ludicrous, and would draw laughter from ADs and coaches across the country. More practice time, a reward for players and fans, etc.

I'm hoping for Music City, but will also go to the Liberty and very probably to Shreveport. I had a blast at the Texas Bowl last year.
Bowl games are a lot of fun. I've been to every bowl game since 2006 when I didn't go to Citrus. I love the way Hog fans descend on a city. People everywhere are wearing Hog gear, talking to passersby, calling the Hogs at bars, talking smack to opposing fans, etc. I doubt I'll miss another Arkansas bowl game.

I'm happy to have hit the six win mark and go bowling, but I'm really disappointed we can't keep momentum going as a program. It seems like every time the worm has turned, there's a bike wreck, Toledo loss, questionable late game series, etc that knocks us back to mediocrity. Hopefully this is the last time we get upset under this regime.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Hawghiggs on November 22, 2015, 10:38:56 am
Exactly. Getting Austin valuable game time experience could be what sets the tone for next season.

Would you bench all non-returning players for the bowl game?
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

jkstock04

If we go to the music city bowl I'll be there...I've always wanted to party in Nashville but never had the chance...I've only been there in passing.

But I wouldn't go back to Shreveport if someone paid me. May as well go hang out in down town Memphis. Not my cup of tea.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Hogfan991 on November 21, 2015, 10:01:42 pm
Hopefully its back to the Texas Bowl.

The "Pool of Six" Bowl assignments will be made with an eye toward geography & ticket sales, TV attractiveness, and making the best possible matchups to maximize SEC wins.

I see it like this:

The Big 12 will send KSU/WVU winner to Memphis which means Tech goes to Houston.  SEC will send A&M to Houston to face Tech at Aggies request.

Arkansas' fate depends on who's the opponent in Nashville.  If it's a B1G team Arkansas goes to Nashville.  If an ACC team then the Hogs go to the Liberty.

Either way Hogs will have a decent opponent.  The Liberty slot will give better TV exposure and the weather will be the same either way.

Sivad

Quote from: gchamblee on November 22, 2015, 08:19:58 am
this game didn't kill our season. the win over LSU and the win over Ole Miss saved our season.
This /\
And the road win over Tennessee.

LLPL

We are obligated by SEC rules to accept whatever bowl the league assigns us. When you share the wealth you can't turn down the check.

Additionally, the primary benefit of a bowl in a season like this is the extra practice time it gets our young players who need the reps. The game itself is important but the practice time is a bigger deal.

reddogjcss

The way this year start ANY BOWL is a good bowl.

Hogarusa

Quote from: Tom Bennett on November 22, 2015, 05:11:17 pm
Wonder what our players would say? Think they would turn down a bowl bid?

I have never said turn down a bowl bid. I've only said to treat like it really is, a chance to get a start on next season
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

FrankCourtneyNicodemus

Quote from: Hogarusa on November 21, 2015, 11:47:14 pm
Silly to say this game killed our season.  How?  Crazy to be 3-3 at home, have to fix that.

I don't count the LR game as a homegame, despite how fun they are, from how I see it.

Home advantage isn't about fans cheering, it moreso comes from not having to travel. I know they aren't staying in a hotel or changing time zones, but that back and forth drive probably affects on comfort zone.

But I agree, this game definitley didn't kill our season. Silver lining is that being knocked down a peg might help us get a rematch with Ttech? That would be ideal IMO.

FrankCourtneyNicodemus

Quote from: Hogarusa on November 22, 2015, 11:28:51 am
Right, it's not going to happen since nobody has ever done it.  I just don't see how a Liberty/Independence/Music City Bowl game is considered a reward.  It wasn't a preseason goal, I wouldn't think.  A Mizzou win at home on Senior Day would trump any bowl win imo.  I know it isn't happening

You don't say

Hogarusa

I dont even know what people say when they keep referring to a
Bowl game as a "reward."  Why are 80 teams eligible for a reward? 7-6 is worthy of such a thing, everyone gets a trophy.  Thanks for participating.  Happy to watch 40 more games but as i say in most bowl threads, you can see how coaches and ADs feel about bowl season as they are getting fired or moving on to other programs. 
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

WilsonHog

Quote from: LLPL on November 22, 2015, 06:14:20 pm
We are obligated by SEC rules to accept whatever bowl the league assigns us. When you share the wealth you can't turn down the check.

Very true. The SEC would take a very dim view of it.

Hoggish1

Quote from: WhatsitHOGabout on November 21, 2015, 10:44:46 pm
Pretty sure the Toledo game killed our season.

Then I want Toledo again, to see if we can resurrect our season...

bvillepig

I was listening to Greg Mccelroy on College Sports Radio talk about how much the players loved any Bowl game. His points were some of these kids had never been on a week long trip to anywhere. It was a vacation that some of them had never had. They were exposed to different places that most had never been.

After listening to him for a few minutes I began to agree. 

goneal

Quote from: Hogarusa on November 22, 2015, 07:02:56 pm
I dont even know what people say when they keep referring to a
Bowl game as a "reward."  Why are 80 teams eligible for a reward? 7-6 is worthy of such a thing, everyone gets a trophy.  Thanks for participating.  Happy to watch 40 more games but as i say in most bowl threads, you can see how coaches and ADs feel about bowl season as they are getting fired or moving on to other programs.

This.
To all the BA haters; just so you know, only HALF his helmet stickers are for participation. The other half is for throwing the ball into the stands.

WilsonHog

Quote from: bvillepig on November 22, 2015, 08:02:50 pm
I was listening to Greg Mccelroy on College Sports Radio talk about how much the players loved any Bowl game. His points were some of these kids had never been on a week long trip to anywhere. It was a vacation that some of them had never had. They were exposed to different places that most had never been.

After listening to him for a few minutes I began to agree.

That's a great point that I'd never thought of.

Oklahawg

The biggest thing to me - give us a chance to win. Let CBB continue to build confidence in the system.

Play down a notch if you have to. Certainly, avoid a spread team at all costs, even if it would mean a chance at retribution. That is a stupid reason for a bowl game. Can we go beat Texas again?

And, get away from those Dec 26 bowl games! Nothing would be cool about that all the way around.

KState > West Va in my view. A B1G team almost assures us of a similar style that allows us a better chance at winning.

Reward the players. Give the coaches a chance to recruit to something special. Reward the fans with a fun trip. Start 2016 on the right note.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hogsfan1981

Can't wait to have something big to be excited about again. Really needed to win out to make progress from last year. Didn't happen but of course it would have been A LOT worse without the miracle at Ole Miss and a great win at LSU.

Basketball - ha no.

Football - Most exciting thing I am looking forward to is the QB battle in spring. Mizz game doesn't matter at all now and the bowl game doesn't matter except for some entertainment. They are all on the same level. People are more worried about how far they have to drive than which bowl we get. God help us if CBB loses both games. 

Baseball - I am really hoping this will be a bright spot for fans this year. We need it.

Seems like such a let down to pull off those huge upsets then lose the momentum by losing at home. Defensive woes were the worst thing about it.

Is Robb Smith a good DC or did he just have insane talent last year that bailed him out? Can he make adjustments with what we recruit here or will he need 3-4 NFL draft picks every year to make his system work? So many questions that won't get answered til next year.