Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN REPORTED COACHES CANDIDATES

Started by Ccwaziya, November 25, 2017, 01:42:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ccwaziya

ESPN says it Malzahn, Vennables, or Leach!!! Also Chad Morris and Mike Norvell will get a look.

hawg1221

The first two and Mike Norvell are the best options.

Pork Twain

Norvell MAY be great one day but I do not want to be the school he has to learn to field an competent defense with.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

southarkhog06

I would be fine with any one of those 5 guys, I think any argument for or against those guys is fair but it evens out in the end.

deedster84

One of those likes defense more than the others

Snouty

No to Leach.  To much of a wild card.

goodguytex

November 25, 2017, 04:57:36 am #6 Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 05:31:38 am by goodguytex
I'd be good with Venables. Norvell is a bit of a wild card. Malzahn no, Leach no, Morris's no. I'd throw in Campbell of Iowa State. Guy has proven he can turn a program around. And as a pipe dream, go big and make a push at Bob Stoops.

My 3 I'd ask first are Stoops, Campbell and Venables. We get told no, make a run at Norvell, Kiffin, Frost, and shoot, maybe Tim Horton. And here are a couple outside the box names.... Randy Shannon, Larry Coker.

Tim Harris

I'm not a huge Malzahn fan but if I was running the search he has to be the first call. Do everything you can to get him on board. If not Leach is my second call and I make sure the search ends there.

porkerfinger

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 25, 2017, 06:31:05 am
I'm not a huge Malzahn fan but if I was running the search he has to be the first call. Do everything you can to get him on board. If not Leach is my second call and I make sure the search ends there.

Leach would be an excellent choice.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 25, 2017, 06:31:05 am

I'm not sure he would be among the first three calls that I would make, let alone the first. My list in order:

1. Mike Gundy
2. Mike Leach
3. Kyle Whittingham
4. Brent Venables
5. Gus Malzahn
6. Mark Stoops
7. Mike Norvell
8. Chad Morris
Go Hogs Go!

tannerstahl

Count me in on the venables train... Regarding leach tho, I can't imagine going from class and integrity to ...what the heck is he talking about? Lol
i love the hogs....so very very much

HogFan1973

Watching what Seth Litrell has done here at North Texas in just two years compared to Chad Morris at SMU in three years, I am not that impressed with MOrris.  Both took over I believe 1-11 teams.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tannerstahl on November 25, 2017, 07:17:30 am
Count me in on the venables train... Regarding leach tho, I can't imagine going from class and integrity to ...what the heck is he talking about? Lol

There's a reason that his name has been mentioned so much and also a reason why he recently spoke so glowingly of his time at Texas Tech and wouldn't rule out a return. Also keep in mind that the AD that hired him left Washington State and is now at Nebraska. Recruiting to Pullman may be more difficult than recruiting to Arkansas and, if he came to Arkansas, he could recruit the same places that he did when he was at Tech.

Things sound like he may be trying to find a way out of Pullman while riding the crest of their success this year. 9-2 currently, #27 in total offense and #11 in total defense.
Go Hogs Go!

Pork Twain

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 25, 2017, 07:02:11 am
I'm not sure he would be among the first three calls that I would make, let alone the first. My list in order:

1. Mike Gundy
2. Mike Leach
3. Kyle Whittingham
4. Brent Venables
5. Gus Malzahn
6. Mark Stoops
7. Mike Norvell
8. Chad Morris
I like your list but I would swap out Leach for Diaz.  I just don't want him.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Torqued pork

Leach's personality would wear thin quickly as soon as the losses started mounting. With a completely new system and our personell it wouldn't take long.

parallaxpig

1. Mike Gundy
2. Mike Leach
3. Kyle Whittingham
4. Brent Venables
5. Gus Malzahn
6. Mark Stoops
7. Mike Norvell
8. Chad Morris

I still say a successful coach here will have great recruiting ties in Texas.  Off this list its Gundy or Norvell.  Leach is too much of a wild card for me.

noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

DOGALUM

With all the talk of "understanding the Arkansas culture", you Leach fans can absolutely forget it.  Would never "fit in"......whatever the hell that means or matters when it comes to coaching football.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

jgcat4

1. Mike Gundy
2. Mike Leach
3. Kyle Whittingham
4. Brent Venables
5. Gus Malzahn
6. Mark Stoops
7. Mike Norvell
8. Chad Morris

I like Leach. I don't think Gundy is going anywhere. I like Venables, Norvell and I'm starting to warm to the idea of others but I won't mention them here for fear I may puke in my mouth.
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 25, 2017, 07:30:00 am
I still say a successful coach here will have great recruiting ties in Texas.  Off this list its Gundy or Norvell.  Leach is too much of a wild card for me.

Venables has also recruited Texas along with Chad Morris. Leach has accomplished more with less talented recruits from Texas than any of them.
Go Hogs Go!

Hoggie17

Quote from: tannerstahl on November 25, 2017, 07:17:30 am
I want a coach with experience in the SEC or a coach with 3 or more years of winning football. 

netteltonhog

I don't think ESPN knows their a— from a hole in the ground. Anyone can make up a list, but our administration hasn't leaked anything in years. It's all just speculation right now. ESPN is grasping at anything for ratings to save itself from corporate greed.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Torqued pork on November 25, 2017, 07:29:50 am
Leach's personality would wear thin quickly as soon as the losses started mounting. With a completely new system and our personell it wouldn't take long.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of the kids we have on the team came from Spread teams in high school. I suspect it wouldn't be that difficult of a transition.
Go Hogs Go!

parallaxpig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 25, 2017, 07:40:46 am
Keep in mind that the vast majority of the kids we have on the team came from Spread teams in high school. I suspect it wouldn't be that difficult of a transition.

I'm with you. Give the OL blocking schemes they can be more successful with and I think offense will be fine. Still think defense has to get some speed on back seven for it to really ever be successful in SEC.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

The NewEra

A lot of people on Hogville want a spread head coach.  Personally I want a great defensive mind as Head Coach.  With all of the great spread coaches out there surely we could hire one as offensive coordinator with strong ties to the state of Texas who is also a great recruiter.

I think winning big in this conference starts with a great defense.  That's where I would place my emphasis in hiring our next coach.

parallaxpig

Quote from: The NewEra on November 25, 2017, 08:00:55 am
A lot of people on Hogville want a spread head coach.  Personally I want a great defensive mind as Head Coach.  With all of the great spread coaches out there surely we could hire one as offensive coordinator with strong ties to the state of Texas who is also a great recruiter.

I think winning big in this conference starts with a great defense.  That's where I would place my emphasis in hiring our next coach.

Don't disagree but you got to recruit at least "good" defensive players..........

MuskogeeHogFan

That's great and all but the recruitment of great defensive players in this conference is more difficult than recruiting better offensive players. The really good ones are just in greater demand (because there are fewer of them) and the better schools are going to scoop them up.

To me, at Arkansas, we need a more wide open offense that ranks in the top 15-20 in the country and a defense that ranks around 45-60 in the country. That alone will get us at least a couple of more wins each year. Had Bielema been able to pull that off in 4 of the last 5 years, we wouldn't be looking for a new HC today.
Go Hogs Go!

clutch

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 25, 2017, 08:10:14 am
That's great and all but the recruitment of great defensive players in this conference is more difficult than recruiting better offensive players. The really good ones are just in greater demand (because there are fewer of them) and the better schools are going to scoop them up.

To me, at Arkansas, we need a more wide open offense that ranks in the top 15-20 in the country and a defense that ranks around 45-60 in the country. That alone will get us at least a couple of more wins each year. Had Bielema been able to pull that off in 4 of the last 5 years, we wouldn't be looking for a new HC today.

Agreed. The best athletes in high school all play on offense. That's where they usually get noticed at, and when they start picking schools that's usually what they are looking to play. Gerry Bohanon is an example of this. I've seen him play a lot, and I think his potential as a defensive guy is much, much higher. He's going to pick a school that lets him play QB though.

It's just so hard to recruit defense now. You really just have to recruit athletes and hope to develop them into defensive players.

The NewEra

You make good points, but it appears I'm just the opposite in my approach.  Since the spread is common then recruiting coaches and players for that is the easier part, especially out of Texas.  If we hire a head coach who has the WOW factor as a being a great defensive mind and a great recruiter then we could hopefully be top 20 in Defense without giving up anything on the offensive side of the ball. 

One other thing.  I think a great defensive coach can scheme around his player weaknesses.  I remember Keith Burns defenses and we didn't have the biggest guys, but we had some tenacious, quick players and under Burns scheme he kept his guys moving around to the point where the offense never knew where we were coming from.  They just knew we were coming and someone was going to get hit hard.

If we don't go the defensive head coaching route, I would love to seem them bring Burns back in to be our D Coordinator.

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

a0ashle

Any OC can run these offenses, you have to have defense or we'll just be a MAC team. You are likely right about players, that's why our HC should be defensive guru, to put the kids we can get in the right position.

BR

1. Mike Gundy
2. Mike Leach
3. Kyle Whittingham
4. Brent Venables
5. Gus Malzahn
6. Mark Stoops
7. Mike Norvell
8. Chad Morris

A good list above, my order of preference

. Matt Campbell
8. Chad Morris
2. Mike Leach
7. Mike Norvell
4. Brent Venables
1. Mike Gundy
5. Gus Malzahn
  . Lane Kiffin
  . Blake Anderson

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

BrickTwnHog

Quote from: DOGALUM on November 25, 2017, 07:31:02 am
With all the talk of "understanding the Arkansas culture", you Leach fans can absolutely forget it.  Would never "fit in"......whatever the hell that means or matters when it comes to coaching football.

it only matters at some schools

few examples

Arkansas
LSU
TEXAS

These schools fans look for a personal connections and what to feel like "he is,one of us" and even more importantly you have to know how to keep the big money guys feeling important while also be able to relate to all the small town high school coaches and people.

colbs

Agreed.  I think there are a lot more great offensive minds in CFB than defensive minds.

a0ashle

Glad to see Venables  name on some list  outside this board.

HognotinMemphis

if we end up with Norvell, it will be because the first 3 or 4 they offered declined us. I have said all along Norvell will not be our next head coach. Can't afford to hire an up and comer at this point.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

porkerfinger

Quote from: a0ashle on November 25, 2017, 09:07:59 am
Glad to see Venables  name on some list  outside this board.

Venables would be a good choice.

hoglady

1. Mike Gundy
2. Mike Leach
3. Kyle Whittingham
4. Brent Venables
5. Gus Malzahn
6. Mark Stoops
7. Mike Norvell
8. Chad Morris

I like your list.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

DZ

Quote from: Snouty on November 25, 2017, 04:24:49 am
No to Leach.  To much of a wild card.
please explain your reasoning behind this. didn't like one of his press conferences? because its not his coaching record.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 25, 2017, 03:25:31 am
Norvell MAY be great one day but I do not want to be the school he has to learn to field an competent defense with.

So, you don't think he would know that he'd need a better D in The SEC? I'd say it's a pretty smart bet he'd hire the right D and coordinators to have a good D.

Hawg Life

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 25, 2017, 09:12:46 am
if we end up with Norvell, it will be because the first 3 or 4 they offered declined us. I have said all along Norvell will not be our next head coach. Can't afford to hire an up and comer at this point.

Would you hire Venables?

RebHog

Quote from: DZ on November 25, 2017, 10:38:05 am
please explain your reasoning behind this. didn't like one of his press conferences? because its not his coaching record.

Are you talking about his 38-36 record in his 6 years at Washington st? No thanks for me there are better options hopefully. It would be entertaining to watch atleast.

haystack

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 25, 2017, 09:12:46 am
Because "proven winner on paper" CBB did so well? And I don't understand why Gundy is on anyone's list. I like Gundy, and I'd love to have him as Head Hog. He's not leaving home unless that seat burns completely up, and I don't see that happening any time soon.

DZ

Quote from: RebHog on November 25, 2017, 10:57:35 am
Are you talking about his 38-36 record in his 6 years at Washington st? No thanks for me there are better options hopefully. It would be entertaining to watch atleast.
122-79 overall, I can cherry pick stats too.. also 9-2 and #13 in 2017, but we wouldn't want that would we?

HogFanOSU

Quote from: DOGALUM on November 25, 2017, 07:31:02 am

It means the good ole boys are running the show using the football program as a pawn to pursue their own interests to make them look important and feel good about themselves. 

Hawg Life

They are on ESPNU right now. Norvell has been a college coordinator/position coach for 11 years, so he got experience and @ only 36 is relatable to his players, while not being a players coach. We'd be very fortunate to have him as head hog.

Paul

take a page from Clemson: hire an offensive whiz & hire a Venables like DC. We can do that with the money we save from hiring Norvell over Gus. BTW his team is up 28-0 in 1st qtr with a pick 6

Smokehouse

1. Mike Gundy
2. Mike Leach
3. Kyle Whittingham
4. Brent Venables
5. Gus Malzahn
6. Mark Stoops
7. Mike Norvell
8. Chad Morris

I'd move Norvell up to right above Gus but otherwise like this list.

I'd also take a look at Bo Pelini somewhere down that list. Never less than 9 wins at Nebraska, hopefully learned his lesson about anger management issues on the sideline, and would almost be worth it just to get Faux Pelini associated with us. Just have to make sure he brings in a stud OC.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

zuko

Quote from: goodguytex on November 25, 2017, 04:57:36 am
I'd be good with Venables. Norvell is a bit of a wild card. Malzahn no, Leach no, Morris's no. I'd throw in Campbell of Iowa State. Guy has proven he can turn a program around. And as a pipe dream, go big and make a push at Bob Stoops.

My 3 I'd ask first are Stoops, Campbell and Venables. We get told no, make a run at Norvell, Kiffin, Frost, and shoot, maybe Tim Horton. And here are a couple outside the box names.... Randy Shannon, Larry Coker.
Arkansas needs to learn defense from a successful DC like Venables. Rhodes certainly wasn't the answer and in my opinion was the downfall of both Long & Bielema. Arkansas allowed an average of 38 pts per game and if it wasn't for two of three cupcake teams only scoring 14 pits total, it could have been more. Arkansas did not compete primarily because of their defense. Problem I have with Stoops is that he would probably bring his family in and screw everything up like he did when he bought his bro in for Venables at OK.

zuko

Quote from: clutch on November 25, 2017, 08:14:44 am
Agreed. The best athletes in high school all play on offense. That's where they usually get noticed at, and when they start picking schools that's usually what they are looking to play. Gerry Bohanon is an example of this. I've seen him play a lot, and I think his potential as a defensive guy is much, much higher. He's going to pick a school that lets him play QB though.

It's just so hard to recruit defense now. You really just have to recruit athletes and hope to develop them into defensive players.
You mean like Lawrence Taylor or Boza?

pigskenG

From who I've seen mentioned so far, I like Norvell and I guess Malzahn. I don't like anyone else listed at all.
Why don't we try for Bob Stoops ?  It would be as big a surprise as Tennessee getting their favorite, Jon Gruden.