Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Neighbors recruiting credencials

Started by flippinhogmana, April 03, 2017, 12:01:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

Helped sign nine McDonald's All-Americans

Had nine players drafted in the WNBA including three who have won WNBA Championships

Developed the No. 1 or 2 all-time leading scorer at every school

nuff said?
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

But ... but ... something something John L Smith! Jeff Long something something!!! Pepsi!!! Yankees!

;-)

hogsfan31

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 03, 2017, 12:32:28 pm
But ... but ... something something John L Smith! Jeff Long something something!!! Pepsi!!! Yankees!

;-)

Lol

The_Iceman

;-)

Perfect!

Ironhawg

;-)

Hey!  You can make fun of that other stuff, but the fight to liberate Hog fans from being forced to imbibe that Pepsi swill brought here by that carpetbagger Jeff Long is real!

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Ironhawg on April 03, 2017, 01:35:53 pm

Hey!  You can make fun of that other stuff, but the fight to liberate Hog fans from being forced to imbibe that Pepsi swill brought here by that carpetbagger Jeff Long is real!

tbf, it was all John L Smith's doing.

BWS

JL has only made one truly bad hire since becoming AD. Period.

Ironhawg

Quote from: BWS on April 03, 2017, 02:01:28 pm

That JD hire will always be a head scratcher for me.  Maybe Long's options were severely limited at the time?  I see people banging on him about the Smile hire, but at that time of year he was really, really hamstrung.  We seem to have a pretty good group of coaches across the board in men's and women's sports now.  Now, if he will just fix the Pepsi issue!   ;)

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Ironhawg on April 03, 2017, 03:05:53 pm
That JD hire will always be a head scratcher for me.  Maybe Long's options were severely limited at the time?  I see people banging on him about the Smile hire, but at that time of year he was really, really hamstrung.  We seem to have a pretty good group of coaches across the board in men's and women's sports now.  Now, if he will just fix the Pepsi issue!   ;)

No keep scratching your head iron, among his options at the time were Vic Shaeffer and Mike Neighbors.  But the topic of the thread isnt Pepsi, Long, John Smith.  Its Mike Neighbors and RECRUITING. GHG!
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Ironhawg on April 03, 2017, 03:05:53 pm
PLEEEZZZEEEE...give the Coke/Pepsi controversy a rest already. Who are you really: little Bobby Shields ???

Ironhawg

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 03, 2017, 04:43:36 pm
PLEEEZZZEEEE...give the Coke/Pepsi controversy a rest already. Who are you really: little Bobby Shields ???

Never Yield!  (Calling anybody Bobby Shields are fighting words by the way!)    :P

ricepig

Sounds like his recruiting won't include Williams, she just told RD that she wants to go out of state for college.

Scott7703

Quote from: ricepig on April 03, 2017, 05:55:31 pm
Sounds like his recruiting won't include Williams, she just told RD that she wants to go out of state for college.

What's that saying about the door hitting you.........

On a serious note he will most definitely be recruiting her.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: ricepig on April 03, 2017, 05:55:31 pm

She was sympathetic to the anthem-kneelers and very put off by the loud, vocal condemnation of the players that followed. She tweeted about it quite a bit (very respectfully, I thought -- she strikes me as a smart and mature-for-her-age young woman), and I thought the writing was on the wall at that point. Other factors, such as our awful on-court performance and the departure of some of the Arkansas kids from the LR area, also probably played a role, as well. I'm sure Mike will give it a shot -- and he'd be a fool not to -- but I am not going to be holding my breath.

There are other 2018 recruits out there, too.

ricepig

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 03, 2017, 06:20:20 pm
She was sympathetic to the anthem-kneelers and very put off by the loud, vocal condemnation of the players that followed. She tweeted about it quite a bit (very respectfully, I thought -- she strikes me as a smart and mature-for-her-age young woman), and I thought the writing was on the wall at that point. Other factors, such as our awful on-court performance and the departure of some of the Arkansas kids from the LR area, also probably played a role, as well. I'm sure Mike will give it a shot -- and he'd be a fool not to -- but I am not going to be holding my breath.

There are other 2018 recruits out there, too.

Oh, I expect him to make a valiant effort, I'm just like you, I think the writing has been on the wall for awhile.

tophawg19

who is out there that we could add this late that could help this upcoming season ?
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

psycHOGlogist

April 03, 2017, 07:10:10 pm #16 Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:21:58 pm by psycHOGlogist
Quote from: tophawg19 on April 03, 2017, 06:28:03 pm
who is out there that we could add this late that could help this upcoming season ?

That's a very good question. There are four kinds of players he can go for who could help next year.

1) JUCO kids.

Hatty Nawehzi from NEO is a prime example - 6'2" post/forward who Dykes' staff was recruiting. I don't think she has committed yet. There are plenty of others out there -- though how much they could contribute is anyone's guess. JUCO's are notoriously unpredictable at the DI level.

2) Kids who did not sign early (there aren't many of these classified as 2017s, at least not top kids)

At least a couple top 100 kids have either decommitted or are unsigned, notably Destiny Littleton, a fairly recent decommit from USC (whose coach got fired). Tesia Thompson, a 5'9" PG from TN is also uncommitted.

3) Kids who committed/signed with other schools who have also had coaching changes, and who would eligible for release from their NLIs.

Florida has recently lost two of its best signees for next year this way. Karissa McLaughlin signed with Purdue today, and Priscilla Smeenge announced today that she's signing with Michigan. There are others out there, too. And don't forget, in theory this could happen to us, too. If either Spangler or Weaver decide that they don't want to play for Neighbors, we'd release them. Kind of doubt that will happen, but it's technically possible. USC has two other highly rated commits, including one from the Seattle area. So ... who knows?

4) Grad transfers - kids who have earned their degree at a school but who have remaining eligibility are free to transfer with no sit-out-a-year requirement that regular transfers have (this is what it's rumored Devin Cosper plans to do).

Wild theory - Tyler Scaife may be in this situation at Rutgers (she redshirted last year in what would have been he senior year). Today, Rutgers announced that four players were transferring out - clearly an exodus. That once-proud program is a shambles. Is Scaife done with her degree? Could she want out? I have no idea what the answer is to either of those questions -- like I said, wild theory. But I think it'd be pretty cool. :-) There are almost certainly other *actual* grad transfer options, as well.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: ricepig on April 03, 2017, 06:25:15 pm
Oh, I expect him to make a valiant effort, I'm just like you, I think the writing has been on the wall for awhile.

Here's the quotes ricepig referred to. Sounds ... not good.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/apr/03/arkansas/

factchecker

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 03, 2017, 06:20:20 pm
She was sympathetic to the anthem-kneelers and very put off by the loud, vocal condemnation of the players that followed.

You mean she didn't like seeing old, white, racist "fans" tweeting crap at our players and telling them to go back to Africa?  SHOCKING
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: factchecker on April 03, 2017, 07:55:30 pm
You mean she didn't like seeing old, white, racist "fans" tweeting crap at our players and telling them to go back to Africa?  SHOCKING

That is certainly how she likely saw it, but how about we not rehash this issue in the 300th thread on this board?

factchecker

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 03, 2017, 07:57:36 pm
That is certainly how she likely saw it, but how about we not rehash this issue in the 300th thread on this board?

It's frustrating that our worst enemy is our own fan base but I agree..... no more from me about this topic.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hoglady

Clean slate for the program - badly needed.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Danny J

I would be all for signing a few grad transfers if possible to allow the new staff time to recruit the 2018 class. I think it would be a mistake to instantly try to fix things by signing whoever is available simply because we need bodies. Just my $.02

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Danny J on April 03, 2017, 08:16:03 pm
I would be all for signing a few grad transfers if possible to allow the new staff time to recruit the 2018 class. I think it would be a mistake to instantly try to fix things by signing whoever is available simply because we need bodies. Just my $.02

JD's first signee was Tat Smith-she is in the category that you dont want to sign.  But Alecia Cooley played well for us (could have been better) as did Cosper when she wasnt hurt, they were the two NJCAAs.

psycHOGlogist

Dykes also got a commitment from another NJCAA that year, Angeilca De Paulo, who ended up at Utah State after there were some questions about her eligibility for SEC academics. She had mediocre numbers her junior season at USU, and then went down with an ACL this year, only playing in 3 games. Not sure how much help she would have been here, other than having another big body to throw out there.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 03, 2017, 08:31:33 pm
Dykes also got a commitment from another NJCAA that year, Angeilca De Paulo, who ended up at Utah State after there were some questions about her eligibility for SEC academics. She had mediocre numbers her junior season at USU, and then went down with an ACL this year, only playing in 3 games. Not sure how much help she would have been here, other than having another big body to throw out there.

True.  Ironically it was the same issue that eventually caught us with Tat Smith (although DePaulo at only 6-1 was considerably more athletic that the 6-3 Smith) but for a different reason.  It was thought that DePaulo might only have one year of eligibility under NCAA rules, and when it came right down to it (and with the signing of Cosper) JD didnt want to take the chance and invited her to look for greener pastures.  Ironic in that Tat Smith only had a year and a half of eligibility and even more Ironically hardly played at all.  But in recruiting her, he found the thread and the leads on both Cooley and Cosper.

Pork Twain

Amen to this post.  Another solid Jeff Long hire that the trolls will still find something to complain about.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Youngsta71701

Quote from: flippinhogmana on April 03, 2017, 12:01:58 pm
Helped sign nine McDonald's All-Americans

Had nine players drafted in the WNBA including three who have won WNBA Championships

Developed the No. 1 or 2 all-time leading scorer at every school

nuff said?
As soon as he signs his contract he needs to head to Little Rock Christian then. The come up or comeback, whichever you want to call it starts there.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 04, 2017, 05:50:53 am
Amen to this post.  Another solid Jeff Long hire that the trolls will still find something to complain about.
Yep, if they aren't complaining they aren't living or they're not happy. Big time hire IMO.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: factchecker on April 03, 2017, 07:55:30 pm
Hmm...

NWAHog479

Props to her for being so well-spoken and for also saying that she will hear him out on whatever he has to say... If she gives him a chance who knows, anything can happen. She would be the best recruit in a LONG time to come and play here. Any chance he adds Smith to his staff?

Pork Twain

Quote from: factchecker on April 03, 2017, 08:07:57 pm

It's frustrating that our worst enemy is our own fan base but I agree..... no more from me about this topic.
Ignorance is irritating...on both sides.  Some also think that not showing respect for the country and all those that sacrificed to make it what it is, and that gives all of its residents so much, is also ignorant.

Hopefully we can move on from this and just focus on sports for the games that are played on the field and court.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

brs_hogfan

Obviously he should make his best attempt at recruiting Ms. Williams. But chances are poor. I hope he goes after 2018 Yo'myris Morris hard as well.  I was super impressed with her in the 7A state championship game.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: brs_hogfan on April 04, 2017, 09:37:14 am
Obviously he should make his best attempt at recruiting Ms. Williams. But chances are poor. I hope he goes after 2018 Yo'myris Morris hard as well.  I was super impressed with her in the 7A state championship game.

As I have stated previously a couple of times, once back to last year, I didnt think our chances with Williams were especially good from the get.  Having JD as our coach wasnt a plus, but I dont know how much the kneeling incident and fan reaction factors into her choice either.  However, if Mike was to bring a couple of Assts with UCONN ties, it couldn't hurt could it?

Jim Harris

Quote from: BWS on April 03, 2017, 02:01:28 pm

two but one was really a bad-timing thing where he didn't have a whole lot of choices.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Pork Twain

Quote from: Jim Harris on April 04, 2017, 11:07:06 am
two but one was really a bad-timing thing where he didn't have a whole lot of choices.
One bad hire and one hire that could not possibly be good due to the timing.