Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

game three-vols

Started by flippinhogmana, March 19, 2017, 11:11:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

I am somewhat surprised to see Autumn pitching again today.  She sets the vols down in order in the top half of the first.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

Hiers walks
Russell singles
Schroeder hit by pitch, bases loaded nobody out for one of yesterdays heroes
pitching change
Cooper gets ahead 1-0, then works it 2-1, then even at 2-2, then hits into a fielder choice but get one rbi, hogs lead 1-0 two runners still on with one out for Belans,
Belans gets behind 0-2 and then flies out, runners still on 1st and 2nd, but with two out now for Canfield,
Canfield works it to a 2-1 count, singles to load the bases with two outs for Diaz who is due in a big way
Diaz gets ahead 2-0, but then grounds out to ss leaving the bases loaded.  But at least we gave Storms the lead to work with going to the top of the 2nd and the 4,5, and 6 place hitters.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

I think the general strategy is to either pitch around Nicole or if they have to pitch to her to try and jam her inside.  She has been hit three times of late, has walked a bunch.  She just needs to be patient, let the game come to her and then get her mojo back!

4th place hitter gets behind 1-2, and grounds to ss
5th place hitter also gets behind 1-2, buts gets on due to an error on ss Belans,
6th place hitter fouls out
and 7th place hitter goes down as well, no damage by the error, 1-0 to the home half of the 2nd

flippinhogmana

Warrrick, Yani and Hiers up
Warrick is in a bit of a slump of late, gets behind 0-1, now 0-2, strikes out looking on three pitches,
Yani who had a key single yesterday, works a 2-2 count, then grounds out to her counterpart,
Hiers like the good battery mate takes some pitches, works a 1-1 count, now 2-1, but then grounds out to 3rd,
1-0 to the top of the 3rd and the tail end of the Vols batting order.

flippinhogmana

8,9 and top of the order up.
8th place hitter singles to center-I dont know how long Storms goes today, but I can bet not all game, or could we predict how sharp she will be for how long,
9th place hitter, helps out by fling out on first pitch, one down, runner on first, for the top of the order
1st place hitter, fouls out to lf on a 2-1 count,
2nd place hitter flies out (I dont like it that Storms is getting the ball up to get more fly outs that ground outs, she can get by with that as long as she has good stuff but it might not work as she tires).  To the home half of the inning.  1-0 good girls!

flippinhogmana

Russell, Nicole and cooper up
Russell has been our hottest hitter of late, but flies out to cf,
Nicole gets behind 1-2, works it back even and then singles to center with one out for Cooper
Cooper gets behind 0-1, gets back even at 1-1, then singles trough the left side, two on, one out for Belans
Belans gets behind 0-2, battles, fouls off a couple off pitches, takes a ball then strikes out swinging, two down two on for Canfield
Canfield also gets behind 0-2, and strikes out swinging, to the top of the 4th, 1-0 hogs

flippinhogmana

32,4 and 5 hitters up for the vols, Storms still in
3rd place hitter gets ahead 1-0, Autumn evens it at 1-1, and then the hitter lines out to Canfield in center
4th place hitter singles to center on the first pitch
5th place hitter gets ahead 1-0 (Autumn may be running low on petrol), now 2-0 and then grounds to 1st, but the runner advances to 2nd with two down for the 6th place hitter
6th place hitter helps out by quickly gorunding out to Russell.  Thank you Vols for keeping Storms pitch count as low as possible to the bottom of the 4th.

flippinhogmana

Diaz, Warrick and Yani
Diaz who is at least the last 0-4 (left three on first time) gets behind 1-2, works it even and then grounds to ss
Warrick gets behind 0-2, and Katie slaps a single down the left field line on an 0-2 count, way to go girl!
Yani gets behind 0-1 and then she two gets a single to left field, two on, one out for Hiers and the top of the order as Beringhele runs for Katie Warrick
Hiers works a 1-1 count, now 2-2, ouch Hiers hits it hard but into a double play.  to the ope of the 5th, how long can storms go strong?

monty hawg

flippinhogmana

7,8 and 9th place hitters up
7th place hitter works a 1-1 count, then grounds out to Diaz unassisted
8th place hitter is hbp, one on, one out
9th place hitter is pinch hit for, ph walks
top of the order now
1st place hitter singles and we have a tied game.  too little support and autumn emptied the tank for us.
Still two on with one out (2nd and 3rd)
2nd place hitter gets ahead 2-0, now 3-1, and it looks like Autumn is gassed
single to center brings in two runs and we are behind 3-1, coach left autumn in at least two hitters too long and now brings in Moll
3rd place hitter (with a runner at second and one out) grounds out to Diaz and the runner advances to 3rd
4th place hitter ends it by grounding out

flippinhogmana

Lets see if these hog ladies have some fight left in them
Russell, Schroeder and Cooper due up
Russell works ahead 2-1, now even at 2-2, then grounds out, one down to Nicole
Nicole works a 1-1 count, gets behind 1-2, evens it at 2-2, then grounds to third,
Cooper walks on four straight pitches
Belans gets behind 0-1, then 0-2, then fouls out.

Hogs have out hit the vols today 6-4 and have left two more on base than the vols, but trail because they failed to get the timely hit.  They haven't got their swagger back fully yet, plus they only have one reliable pitcher now.  Grace Moll needs to solve her wildness for this to be an upper division SEC team.

flippinhogmana

top of the seventh, 6,7 and 8 hitters up
6th place hitter grounds out to first unassisted, one down
7th place hitter gets behind 1-2 and also grounds to first unassisted
8th place hitter gets ahead 1-0, now ahead 2-1, then Moll comes back and strikes her out, last chance for the hogs down two

flippinhogmana

Canfield, Diaz and Beringhele due up
Canfield works a 1-1 count, then falls behind 1-2, evens it at 2-2, now full, but strikes out swinging
Diaz is pinch hit for by Bugarin who gets behind 1-2, strikes out looking,
Warrick comes back in for Beringhele, Katie gets ahead 2-1, now even at 2-2, now full, then lines out to center to end it.

The hogs have made some strides this season and if they can get Moll lined out and get Nicole back hot, they would still be a very good team.  They took two very big steps forward this weekend, even if they took a step back today. 

hogman64

not complaining  just an observation and thanks for the updates, maybe it is just me but I have a hard  time seeing a score as the game description goes along....

flippinhogmana

Quote from: hogman64 on March 19, 2017, 04:07:23 pm
not complaining  just an observation and thanks for the updates, maybe it is just me but I have a hard  time seeing a score as the game description goes along....

Not a problem, time for psych to take it back up again anyway, I lost today!  But Hog, for the most part if there is somewhat of a pitchers duel, and no change of score, I kinda get bored posting every inning or half inning.  But when they took the lead and I posted the change of score this time it was kind buried in the description.  I can do better!  I was kinda bummed out about then.  Coach D has only made a couple of mistakes this season in my opinion and they have both been in over using Storms. 

I dont care how much a youngster has grit, sometimes you have to go with the book.  Twice this year she should have pulled Storms, you have to pull a pitcher when they are out of gas, simple as that.  She would have two less losses if she had did it right.  Would we have won games that we lost?  who knows, but I can also see it from the Coach's standpoint, like it or not, the only pitcher she trusts right now is a freshmen.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 19, 2017, 05:05:05 pm
Not a problem, time for psych to take it back up again anyway, I lost today! 

Ha! Okay, I think I can do Tues and Wed this week for our mid-week games.  Great job, flippin! Way to bring in our first SEC series win since 2013!!

Tough one today - watched the replay. I agree with your comment up-thread that Autumn ran out of gas. I think she needed to be pulled one inning sooner. Her pitches were coming up further and further in the zone. Oh well -- live and learn.

Tues vs Mo State (who run ruled us last year - revenge time!) and then Wed at SLU. Hope we can take both games an build up some momentum into the Kentucky series next weekend in Lexington.

hogman64

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 19, 2017, 05:05:05 pm
Not a problem, time for psych to take it back up again anyway, I lost today!  But Hog, for the most part if there is somewhat of a pitchers duel, and no change of score, I kinda get bored posting every inning or half inning.  But when they took the lead and I posted the change of score this time it was kind buried in the description.  I can do better!  I was kinda bummed out about then.  Coach D has only made a couple of mistakes this season in my opinion and they have both been in over using Storms. 

I dont care how much a youngster has grit, sometimes you have to go with the book.  Twice this year she should have pulled Storms, you have to pull a pitcher when they are out of gas, simple as that.  She would have two less losses if she had did it right.  Would we have won games that we lost?  who knows, but I can also see it from the Coach's standpoint, like it or not, the only pitcher she trusts right now is a freshmen.

thanks a lot I know it is a lot of effort to do the play by play  especially if we are losing...and yes it is a tough call on the pitching decisions

LadybackBBFan

Believe me, I have been there - only one pitcher that I trust.  You wrestle with it all the time as a coach.  Look at what the Cubs manager did in the last two games of the World Series and that is easier to coach as throwing overarm wears your arm out.  However, girls can pitch softball all day and not hurt their arm - so that is never a consideration.  The one pitcher that I could always pull was my daughter if she got wild and lost the plate.  My other #1 pitchers were always hard to pull.