Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Names I would like to see considered

Started by flippinhogmana, March 05, 2017, 08:35:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

Neighbors, Schaeffer, Foley, Christy Smith, Nikki Collen

I have a reason for each.  If we cant come to term with either of the first three, there a couple of names I didnt mention that are head coaches that should receive consideration, but if we dont work things out with them, and go a totally different route, I believe that either Christy Smith or Nikki Collen could build a first class program here in 3-5 years. I believe both of them would be long time hires as well.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

I would add Messer and Lance White to your list.

For various reasons, I can't see Long looking at Foley or Collen seriously, but I think they are both first-rate coaches.

jackflash

I have no idea who they will hire. But to get women basketball where we would like  it to be. I think it will take a big name coach

Rocket23

Whoever it is, in addition to a great coach, must be a handshaker and PR guy that will go out and drum up support.

hog63

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 05, 2017, 08:35:28 am

I have a reason for each.  If we cant come to term with either of the first three, there a couple of names I didnt mention that are head coaches that should receive consideration, but if we dont work things out with them, and go a totally different route, I believe that either Christy Smith or Nikki Collen could build a first class program here in 3-5 years. I believe both of them would be long time hires as well.

I think Messer will be the fall back plan if they can't get a proven head coach on board. I don't think they will go with Collen ahead of Messer just because I think that would be like opening a old wound and after what we have just gone through I don't think JL will do that. Christy needs to prove herself as a head coach and then she would be a great option on the next hire and I believe she knows that.

psycHOGlogist

March 05, 2017, 01:36:56 pm #5 Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 01:48:37 pm by psycHOGlogist
oops.

psycHOGlogist

nwahogfan1

We need a head coach with a proven record over several years against quality teams. I think we can offer the right coach a great opportunity

flippinhogmana

Quote from: hog63 on March 05, 2017, 01:28:05 pm
I think Messer will be the fall back plan if they can't get a proven head coach on board. I don't think they will go with Collen ahead of Messer just because I think that would be like opening a old wound and after what we have just gone through I don't think JL will do that. Christy needs to prove herself as a head coach and then she would be a great option on the next hire and I believe she knows that.

I rather expect it to be a moot point as I have five ahead of both of them.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Porked Tongue

Before you can even think about Foley, he would have to admit he wanted the job.

From most indications, he doesn't want it.

I don't think he's on the front burner. ;)

ricepig

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 05, 2017, 05:03:28 pm
Before you can even think about Foley, he would have to admit he wanted the job.

From most indications, he doesn't want it.

I don't think he's on the front burner. ;)

Correct

BWS

Whoever the top candidates are, JL needs to realize that there are a large number of good qualified candidates that would be interested in coaching at Arkansas. There's no need to rush this decision, or hire another broadcast commentator with no previous experience coaching women.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: BWS on March 05, 2017, 05:47:49 pm
There's no need to rush this decision, or hire another broadcast commentator with no previous experience coaching women.

That is literally the last thing I think we need to worry about!

Dr. Starcs

yraciv

I don't see why anyone would want Round 2 of the Collen show. Been there, done that.

Hogtied85

We have a good nucleus here. I believe if they hire the right coach that can build the fan base and also lights out recruiter I believe we can go to the tournament next year.

flippinhogmana

possible, but imho cosper and wilson would have to return in order for that to occur plus we would have to land one quality big.  odds of all three of those occurring are doubtful. 

Scott7703

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 05, 2017, 07:35:50 pm
possible, but imho cosper and wilson would have to return in order for that to occur plus we would have to land one quality big.  odds of all three of those occurring are doubtful. 

Make the right hire and I believe both current players stay. Finding that big is the big question mark in my opinion.

psycHOGlogist

Coaching prospects update:

Schaeffer's MSU Bulldogs lost in the SECCG this afternoon to Dawn Staley's Gamecocks. Probably a 2 seed in the tournament.

Neighbors' Washington Huskies were upset in the QF's of the PAC-12 tournament by an improving Oregon squad. Probably a 3 seed.

Baylor (with AC Sytia Messer) is in the finals of the B12 tournament, where they will play upstart WVU in the finals tomorrow. They will probably be a 1 seed.

Joe Foley's UALR Trojans are not in conference tournament play until next weekend, but they are going to be the top seed, sitting at 17-1 in their conference. I think that the Sun Belt is a one-bid league, though, so if UALR doesn't win the tournament, I can't see them getting in. They don't have any marquee out-of-conference wins.

Christy Smith's UIW team sits tied for 9th place in the Southland Conference, 7-11 in conference and 9-20 overall.

Nikki Collen is currently on staff for the Connecticut Sun in the WNBA, so she is out of season. She is clearly attuned to the college game, as she's tweeting about it quite a bit.

Jack The BN

Rick Laweson, Tim Duchamps, those are my top 2
I am fully cooperating with this investigation and looking forward to clearing my name

psycHOGlogist

How many times are you going to post this unfunny troll post? What are you hoping to accomplish? If you don't care about the WBB coach situation, here's a tip: stay out of the threads on this topic.

Jack The BN

Seems like you're the one who doesn't care if you don't want to hire good coaches.
I am fully cooperating with this investigation and looking forward to clearing my name

nwahogfan1

I like who are on PsycHog list but Long often picks outside the box so no telling who he is going after.  I just bet we get 20+ applications for this job and then there will be those who do not apply who are still interested through their Agents or who ever they use to contact Long. 

I just hope our next coach has proven experience at the highest level so they will have contacts to recruit at the highest level.  Lets face it our next coach will have to recruit nationally to get us players who can play in maybe the toughest Ladies League in the nation. 

We need size in the spring signing period so I hope the new coach has one on the hook he can bring with them.

LadybackBBFan

Although I agree that Niki will never get the job, she would be a great choice - might be the best we could get in the long run if she ever gets the chance.  Remember Louisiana Tech turned down Kim Mulkey and she went to Baylor instead.  How did that work out for Louisiana Tech!  If Tom had retired before he got fired and they would have given Niki the job, we would not be where we are now.

riccoar

Karen Sue Aston (Bryant, Arkansas) played at UALR.  If your gonna go after big names, no idea why you don't at least ask through the channels if she's interested.

Scott7703

Quote from: riccoar on March 06, 2017, 06:58:01 am
Karen Sue Aston (Bryant, Arkansas) played at UALR.  If your gonna go after big names, no idea why you don't at least ask through the channels if she's interested.

I came here to bring up Karen as well and you beat me to it. This would be a grand slam hire.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 06, 2017, 05:41:42 am
I like who are on PsycHog list but Long often picks outside the box

The only outside the box hire was Dykes

Bret Bielema:  Established P5 Coach
Mike Anderson: Established P5 Coach
Andy Jackson: Established P5 Coach
Chris Bucknam: Established D1 Coach
Colby Hale: Successful D1 Assistant with ties to the region from his time at ORU and in Tulsa.
Courtney Diefel:  Only 1 year HC experience but that was turning around another P5 program and had +16 game improvement her first year at Maryland.  Had also been successful coach and player.
Jason Watson: Established P5 Coach with 11 years total experience.

If I'm missing anyone Jeff has hired please feel free to add to the list.  When hiring coaches, best case scenario is usually someone with HC experience but often times highly successful assistants get those jobs as well.  Going either route is not outside of the box because it's the way the hires are usually done.  Just because Hog fans had not heard of or pondered a particular coach on a message board does not make them outside of the box.  Things Jeff Long and Company do that are signs of a well run organization are, consider many possibilities and play it close to the vest with few if any leaks.

Dykes with 0 real experience in anything except talking was the outside of the box hire that failed miserably.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

riccoar

Quote from: Scott7703 on March 06, 2017, 08:20:02 am

I came here to bring up Karen as well and you beat me to it. This would be a grand slam hire.

I know Dykes had issues, but I don't know why you make a change unless your really ready to vault the Lady Backs into the spotlight for once.  Go big and get a big name.

jackflash

I believe this needed to done  fairly quickly so they can recruit

BWS

Under the radar names I would like to see considered:
Cameron Newbauer – Belmont
Former assistant coach at Georgia and Louisville. Took over at Belmont in 2013. In his third season, let Belmont to a 24-9 record, conference title and a berth in the NCAA Tournament. Belmont is currently 27-5 this season and won their second straight conference title on Saturday.

Michelle Clark-Heard – Western Kentucky
Was an assistant coach for three division I schools and head coach at Kentucky State before coming back to her alma-mater as head coach. Took a team that was 9-21 prior to her arrival and won 22 games her first season. Has led Western Kentucky to the postseason each of her last four seasons, including two NCAA Tournament berths. The Hilltoppers are currently 24-6 heading into the conference tournament.

Tonya Cardoza – Temple
Former teammate of Dawn Staley at Virginia. Spent fourteen years as an assistant at UConn before taking the job at Temple in 2008. Has led Temple to the postseason six out of the last eight years. Currently 24-7 this year.

Sandra Rushing – Central Arkansas
Nearly 30 years of head coaching experience. Led UCA to a 28-4 record and a NCAA Tournament berth last season. Currently 24-4 this season.

Karl Smesko – Florida Gulf Coast
Has spent 15 seasons at FGCU. Known for his explosive offensive teams, has led FGCU to three NCAA Tournaments. Has over 400 career coaching wins.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: jackflash on March 06, 2017, 11:28:28 am
I believe this needed to done  fairly quickly so they can recruit

Depending on what you mean by "fairly quickly," I think you are going to be disappointed. The main targets of our search (probably) will be coaching in the NCAAT and not in a place to take a new position until they're out. We're looking at a three weeks to a month or so of waiting between last week and the hire.

And that's a guess, not a reflection of inside information.

Mr. Porkleone

What's timeline on hiring??? After NCAA's?

dbhog

Don't really think Schaeffer would leave Miss State while his daughter is still a player there unless we offer a lot more money.

redleg

The downfall of the Razorback women's basketball team is the direct fault of former UA women's athletic director Bev Lewis. She was the one who forced Gary Blair out, because she wanted a woman to run the basketball program. Her choice, her buddy Susie Gardner, was a complete train wreck, winning 8 SEC games in two pitiful seasons. Meanwhile, Texas A&M jumped at the chance to hire Blair, who promptly turn around the lady Aggies program and coached them to the 2011 national championship. All of this was one of the major reasons Frank Broyles consolidated both athletic programs, and eliminated Bev Lewis' position...because she sucked!
Just imagine if Blair had been left alone and allowed to continue on. I truly feel that he could have done at Arkansas what he accomplished at Texas A&M! But thanks to Bev Lewis, sadly, we will never know.
Instead, the Lady'Backs have had to endure a forced head coach that was not worthy, and average head coach, Tom Collen, that probably would have faired better at a division 2 school, and now Jimmy Dykes.
When is this B.S. going to end?!
Hey Jeff Long!!!.....why are you looking nationwide?! Just come to Little Rock and hire Joe Foley!
Geez! It's not rocket science.  ::)
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

razorjack

John White was the reason we lost Gary.  A&M offered Gary the job.  Gary went to Bev  wanting a raise to put him above A&M offer.  Bev went to John White to get it approved.  John would not approve it and told Bev to let him go and hire a woman.  John White ruined women's and men's basketball.  If it wasn't for him we would have Bill Self here instead at Kansas.

Ironhawg

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 05, 2017, 10:25:59 am
I would add Messer and Lance White to your list.

For various reasons, I can't see Long looking at Foley or Collen seriously, but I think they are both first-rate coaches.

Why Sytia Messer?  Her record at Tennessee Tech doesn't look like she was exactly setting the world on fire.  She was only there three years then back to being an assistant?  I'm not questioning your judgment, I just don't understand her appeal as a potential head coach but I really don't know that much about her other than she is a former player.

yraciv

Quote from: razorjack on March 06, 2017, 02:44:45 pm
John White was the reason we lost Gary.  A&M offered Gary the job.  Gary went to Bev  wanting a raise to put him above A&M offer.  Bev went to John White to get it approved.  John would not approve it and told Bev to let him go and hire a woman.  John White ruined women's and men's basketball.  If it wasn't for him we would have Bill Self here instead at Kansas.

Bev came my by class at U of A circa 2010 to discuss her role in athletics, and she didn't throw White under the bus. She did say her biggest regret was letting him go and it was the hardest decision of her career. Kind of a defining moment because a lot of people put the blame on her, which didn't seem right.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: BWS on March 06, 2017, 11:52:04 am
Under the radar names I would like to see considered:
Cameron Newbauer – Belmont
Former assistant coach at Georgia and Louisville. Took over at Belmont in 2013. In his third season, let Belmont to a 24-9 record, conference title and a berth in the NCAA Tournament. Belmont is currently 27-5 this season and won their second straight conference title on Saturday.

Michelle Clark-Heard – Western Kentucky
Was an assistant coach for three division I schools and head coach at Kentucky State before coming back to her alma-mater as head coach. Took a team that was 9-21 prior to her arrival and won 22 games her first season. Has led Western Kentucky to the postseason each of her last four seasons, including two NCAA Tournament berths. The Hilltoppers are currently 24-6 heading into the conference tournament.

Tonya Cardoza – Temple
Former teammate of Dawn Staley at Virginia. Spent fourteen years as an assistant at UConn before taking the job at Temple in 2008. Has led Temple to the postseason six out of the last eight years. Currently 24-7 this year.

Sandra Rushing – Central Arkansas
Nearly 30 years of head coaching experience. Led UCA to a 28-4 record and a NCAA Tournament berth last season. Currently 24-4 this season.

Karl Smesko – Florida Gulf Coast
Has spent 15 seasons at FGCU. Known for his explosive offensive teams, has led FGCU to three NCAA Tournaments. Has over 400 career coaching wins.

these are excellent choices and I think outside the box as we fans normally think.  I do not think unless they are a HR hire our next Lady Back coach will have ties to Arkansas.

there are some excellent HC out there with many years of experience and a track record to gage whether they would make it here against SEC competition.

psycHOGlogist

Here I go -- I know I'm going to tick some people off here, but .... Gary Blair is a great WBB Coach, and he had one remarkably good year at the UA. However, if you look at his record overall, what you see is not the same level of success that he's had at TAMU.

Blair was at Arkansas 10 seasons. His overall record was pretty good, 198-120. His SEC record, however, was sub-.500 by a good bit: 54-75. His best finish in conference was 4th place tie in his 2nd year. Was never higher than 6th after that, and was usually in the 7-11 range. He made the NCAA tournament 5 times, which is very respectable, and the WNIT twice (and he won it once, in 1999). We made it past the 2nd round of the NCAAT exactly once, the year we made it all the way to the Final Four -- which was fun and incredible and was a great coaching job. But his record here was not phenomenal.

At TAMU, he struggled through a terrible first year, rebuilding a program from the dumpster, and quickly went on to be a consistent NCAAT team, winning the National Championship in his 8th yr at TAMU (while they were still in the Big 12, which is a pretty decent WBB conference). How did he do that? Easy: recruiting. He got Texas kids to come, and he got them at a time when the program at UT was collapsing. Their legendary coach Conradt was on her way out, and they replaced her with Gail Goestenkors from Duke -a really good coach, but someone who was despised by the HS coaches in TX because she didn't suck up to them. Blair recruited like gangbusters and won consistently and went deep into the tournament pretty regularly. Now that Texas has hired Karen Aston, who is a tireless recruiter, he's not been getting the great recruiting classes, and TAMU is not performing at an elite level anymore (though don't get me wrong - they are still very good, and Blair is still a VERY good coach).

So ... I guess my point is, Gary was chased out of Fayetteville in a very crappy way. It was ridiculous and it still makes me angry. Really angry (part of John White's reason for not wanting to give him a raise was that he swore on the sidelines ... seriously. I mean ...) But if he'd been as successful here as he ended up being at TAMU, it never would have happened. He was only a pretty good coach here on the Hill. His success at TAMU was well beyond what he achieved here, for good reason: he got a lot of the best kids in Texas kids to go to TAMU. He was never going to do that here. There is NO doubt that Blair is a better coach than any of the folks who have succeeded him here (Gardner, Collen, Dykes), but it's not like he was Geno Auriemma. I would be happy to see him end his career here, but honestly, the man is 71 years old. He's not coming back. And as for the "what if"s ... I'm not sure that there's a strong case to make that he would have done here what he did in College Station.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on March 06, 2017, 12:16:53 pm
What's timeline on hiring??? After NCAA's?

I would say that is about right.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 06, 2017, 03:57:19 pm
these are excellent choices and I think outside the box as we fans normally think.  I do not think unless they are a HR hire our next Lady Back coach will have ties to Arkansas.

there are some excellent HC out there with many years of experience and a track record to gage whether they would make it here against SEC competition.

I like Clarke-Heard and Newbauer a lot as "second choice" options behind the big names. Not as sure about Smesko - not sure his "chuck up 3's at every chance you get" style would work consistently in the SEC, but he does have a good track record in his conference. (Fun fact: Nikki Collen was his assistant before she joined the WNBA coaching ranks).

Meant to add - don't know much about Cardoza, but those are impressive stats!

hawg1221

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 06, 2017, 03:59:24 pm
Here I go -- I know I'm going to tick some people off here, but .... Gary Blair is a great WBB Coach, and he had one remarkably good year at the UA. However, if you look at his record overall, what you see is not the same level of success that he's had at TAMU.

Blair was at Arkansas 10 seasons. His overall record was pretty good, 198-120. His SEC record, however, was sub-.500 by a good bit: 54-75. His best finish in conference was 4th place tie in his 2nd year. Was never higher than 6th after that, and was usually in the 7-11 range. He made the NCAA tournament 5 times, which is very respectable, and the WNIT twice (and he won it once, in 1999). We made it past the 2nd round of the NCAAT exactly once, the year we made it all the way to the Final Four -- which was fun and incredible and was a great coaching job. But his record here was not phenomenal.

At TAMU, he struggled through a terrible first year, rebuilding a program from the dumpster, and quickly went on to be a consistent NCAAT team, winning the National Championship in his 8th yr at TAMU (while they were still in the Big 12, which is a pretty decent WBB conference). How did he do that? Easy: recruiting. He got Texas kids to come, and he got them at a time when the program at UT was collapsing. Their legendary coach Conradt was on her way out, and they replaced her with Gail Goestenkors from Duke -a really good coach, but someone who was despised by the HS coaches in TX because she didn't suck up to them. Blair recruited like gangbusters and won consistently and went deep into the tournament pretty regularly. Now that Texas has hired Karen Aston, who is a tireless recruiter, he's not been getting the great recruiting classes, and TAMU is not performing at an elite level anymore (though don't get me wrong - they are still very good, and Blair is still a VERY good coach).

So ... I guess my point is, Gary was chased out of Fayetteville in a very crappy way. It was ridiculous and it still makes me angry. Really angry (part of John White's reason for not wanting to give him a raise was that he swore on the sidelines ... seriously. I mean ...) But if he'd been as successful here as he ended up being at TAMU, it never would have happened. He was only a pretty good coach here on the Hill. His success at TAMU was well beyond what he achieved here, for good reason: he got a lot of the best kids in Texas kids to go to TAMU. He was never going to do that here. There is NO doubt that Blair is a better coach than any of the folks who have succeeded him here (Gardner, Collen, Dykes), but it's not like he was Geno Auriemma. I would be happy to see him end his career here, but honestly, the man is 71 years old. He's not coming back. And as for the "what if"s ... I'm not sure that there's a strong case to make that he would have done here what he did in College Station.

What you said makes sense. Very conceivable.

Hogtied85

Quote from: hawg1221 on March 06, 2017, 04:40:11 pm
What you said makes sense. Very conceivable.

Speaking of Nicki Collen. How good is she. I know that she is Tom wife but is she a better coach than him???? Can see recruit lights out?

psycHOGlogist

Today's wrench:

Florida has just fired Amanda Butler as their WBB coach.

Scott Stricklin is the new AD at Florida.

Scott Stricklin is the former AD at Mississippi State.

He hired Vic Schaefer.

I think there's about to be a bidding war for Vic's services - and I'm not sure it's a bidding war we can win.

psycHOGlogist

Whether he stays, goes to Gainesville, or comes to the Hill, Vic is about to GET PAID!

hogsfan31

I wonder how many college basketball teams have approached Becky Hammons about coaching their programs? Not that she would want to leave San Antonio Spurs for the college game, but dang what a hire that would be. She's got a good thing going in SA. Not to mention you'd have to pay her $$$$. She probably makes anywhere between 700,000 to 1 mil in SA.

She'd be a great recruiter and her knowledge of the game is phenomenal. To be honest I think she could build a powerhouse.

Okay back down to Earth...

Neighbors, Schaefer, Foley would all be great hires.

Female coaches, I'm trying to think of those that I think would be awesome here and that could build a winning program.

Some of these assistants don't always pan out after they've been with great coaches. Holly Warwick IMO is a good example of this. While she isn't doing terrible, she's no where near where people thought she'd be after being the long time assistant to Pat.

Kate Paye could be a decent coach I think, but she's at her alma mater so not sure she'd want to leave.

the assistant at Baylor may end up being really good.

psycHOGlogist

That is a very intriguing idea, hogsfan31. And according to this link, you have over-estimated her salary by about $600,000, so money-wise she would be very "gettable," you would think.

http://frostsnow.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-becky-hammon-net-worth-salary-awards-and-career

hogsfan31

March 06, 2017, 06:36:59 pm #47 Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 06:57:26 pm by hogsfan31
Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 06, 2017, 06:30:14 pm
That is a very intriguing idea, hogsfan31. And according to this link, you have over-estimated her salary by about $600,000, so money-wise she would be very "gettable," you would think.

http://frostsnow.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-becky-hammon-net-worth-salary-awards-and-career

I'm not sure that is a credible source as to her salary with SA. I couldn't find anything regarding that but that just doesn't sound right to me. On average assistant coaches in the NBA make anywhere between 750,000 to 1 mill. That's male coaches, but as seeing how  the spurs have hired the first full time women's assistant coach in the NBA, I couldn't see them paying her less than the men. Who knows maybe it is correct, but I didn't think it was so I didn't go by that.

She is the head coach of the Spurs summer league team, so I'd think she'd make more. I think she will eventually be the first NBA head coach if she doesn't leave for other coaching ventures outside of it first.

***** I did some more research on assistant coaching salaries in the NBA, it looks like only the TOP assistants make between 700,000 to 1 mill. I can't find anything regarding what she makes though. *****

Dr. Starcs

She is an assistant coach for the Spurs, but she sits behind the bench. Can't imagine her making more than we were paying Dykes

Mr. Porkleone

Quick question. Will our chances improve on the recruitment of Christyn Williams out of CAC or is she a UCONN lock.  Sorry to throw this in thread