Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oh My . . . Jimmy Dykes hired as new U of A Women's Hoops coach

Started by WizardofhOgZ, March 30, 2014, 10:14:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Porked Tongue

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 30, 2014, 01:38:36 pm
True that, we had Jessica Jackson and Tyler Scaife last year. Collen might still be our coach had he gotten Scaife.

I'll go ahead and make the typical yokel comment that Dykes should add Rickey Smith to his staff. Smith may be the best high school basketball coach in the state. Northside girls get there each and every year.
I expect a coach with Arkansas high school ties to be in the works. Plus one coach with lots of college game experience.

root_hawg

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HogFan#1 on March 30, 2014, 12:47:44 pm
Pretty sure you would argue with a brick wall.

Jimmy Dykes will do just fine.  He has a name, he has the knowledge, and he knows the state.

Not only would he argue with a brick wall he would go around claiming he won the argument by default because he thinks he is smarter than a brick wall. Yet the rest of us know better by the fact he would do so.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Big Nasty 34

Hey, he's been associated with Shiloh Christian.. He can recruit ;)

HF#1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2014, 01:46:25 pm
Not only would he argue with a brick wall he would go around claiming he won the argument by default because he thinks he is smarter than a brick wall. Yet the rest of us know better by the fact he would do so.

I've had enough encounters with Fatty to know that he will find a way to shoot down your side of the argument and hammer that point until you surrender.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Fatty McGee

Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2014, 01:46:25 pm

Seriously, you dig me, don't you?

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HogFan#1 on March 30, 2014, 01:49:13 pm
I've had enough encounters with Fatty to know that he will find a way to shoot down your side of the argument and hammer that point until you surrender.

He doesn't know I'm Winston Churchill reincarnated.

Well I guess he does now.

870hogfan

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 30, 2014, 01:50:14 pm
Seriously, you dig me, don't you?

You're not worth digging a grave over to me. I do have to admit when you aren't trying to prove you're the smartest person which we all know isn't true some of your posts can actually be funny.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: 870hogfan on March 30, 2014, 01:55:38 pm

Don't you argue with everyone?

Nah, I agree with lots of people.  Just not when they're wrong. 

I admit, this is mostly just fun for me though.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2014, 01:55:59 pm

You're not worth digging a grave over to me. I do have to admit when you aren't trying to prove you're the smartest person which we all know isn't true some of your posts can actually be funny.

Don't lie - you're kinda into me.  It's cool, I get that a lot.

Breems

Ummmmm this is fine, I guess, but what will Brad Nessler do?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 30, 2014, 01:59:42 pm
Don't lie - you're kinda into me.  It's cool, I get that a lot.

I bet you don't get "it" a lot.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Breems on March 30, 2014, 02:06:04 pm
Ummmmm this is fine, I guess, but what will Brad Nessler do?

New assistant coach.............

Dark Helmet Hog

Great hire and tons of potential. I like the approach, especially with the direction the program had been heading.

From a marketing/media perspective, we could have just hired the Jon Gruden of Women's BB. It could end up being... wait for it... legendary.

secfan30

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 30, 2014, 10:46:05 am
Those complaining about how much this hire bothers them probably couldn't name 3 players on the team without looking it up.

Prob not, heck Im Actually interested in The WBB Hogs because of this hire. Prior to this I could name more of the UCA Ladies Team players than the Hogs. On a side note I lived in Conway for a while and would take my daughter to some of the games the last few years.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on March 30, 2014, 03:56:15 pm
Great hire and tons of potential. I like the approach, especially with the direction the program had been heading.

From a marketing/media perspective, we could have just hired the Jon Gruden of Women's BB. It could end up being... wait for it... legendary.
Let's say Anderson moved on. Would you be okay with Long hiring Dykes to coach the men's team?

ricepig

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 30, 2014, 04:33:44 pm
Let's say Anderson moved on. Would you be okay with Long hiring Dykes to coach the men's team?

Are you comparing men's basketball to women's in terms of support and popularity?

TrueBlue

This hire is doing exactly what it was meant to do: stirring some interest in women's hoops. When was the last time we had a four page and counting thread in March about women's basketball at Arkansas? Great hire!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: ricepig on March 30, 2014, 04:42:36 pm
Are you comparing men's basketball to women's in terms of support and popularity?
No. I'm simply asking a question.

Are you implying that it's okay to hire a person who has never been a head coach and who has never coached that sport because there is less support for UA women's basketball and it's not as popular?

secfan30

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 30, 2014, 04:54:25 pm

Are you implying that it's okay to hire a person who has never been a head coach and who has never coached that sport because there is less support for UA women's basketball and it's not as popular?

Out of curiosity was there a more proven coach that was willing to be hired that wasn't? Ala Bill Self vs Stan Heath?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: secfan30 on March 30, 2014, 04:56:24 pm
Out of curiosity was there a more proven coach that was willing to be hired that wasn't? Ala Bill Self vs Stan Heath?
I really don't know. I'm not opposed to this hire. I'm simply curious as to why people who would go nuts if you hired a guy who had never been a head coach and who had never coached men's basketball are okay if you do this in the women's game.

TrueBlue

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 30, 2014, 05:00:51 pm
I really don't know. I'm not opposed to this hire. I'm simply curious as to why people who would go nuts if you hired a guy who had never been a head coach and who had never coached men's basketball are okay if you do this in the women's game.

Because we have totally sucked and we need to think "outside the box"?

ricepig

Ok, I guess I was misreading your numerous attempts to get an answer. I would say that the two teams aren't equal in support, and therefore couldn't put the same set of conditions or stipulations on them. We've gone the way of Blair protege, maybe it was time for another angle. Who knows, maybe it was a payback to Ronnie and Pat for not hiring Gus??

Dr. Starcs

Wonder if Uconn fans and Tennessee fans were ok when Auriemma and Summitt were hired with no prior collegiate head coaching experience.

Want a more recent comparison?  How about John Harbaugh with the Baltimore Ravens.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on March 30, 2014, 01:25:11 pm
Its kinda sad that we can't have this in the lady razorbacks forum.  Can't they have anything lol?

Don't worry when Fatty becomes their union rep he will bargain for it.

baumsquad

Dykes is keeping 2 current assistants which means he can bring n just 1 mayb 2! I am sure Dykes is a great X's and O's guy? Whatever he wasn't in his one season as a head high school coach with a losing record! Worst hire in history. His track record says he can recruit young females AKA his wife! Long what were u thinking.?
JUST WIN BABY!!

tophawg19

yes because they were known assistants . Harbaugh  had H/C  experience
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Bear14

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 30, 2014, 11:27:29 am
His background includes playing two years at Fayetteville High School after moving here from Colorado.  His dad was a long time realtor for Lindsey & Associates then his own partnership(edited).  Yeah, that Lindsey.

He will bring some light to the sport for sure.

My curiosity now goes towards his staff and the budget.  Collen made over 500,000(corrected).  He'll need a seasoned veteran to help out and likely that needs to be female.

Makes very clear why he was hired.  Connections.

Dark Helmet Hog

I have to say that I would not be okay with a similar hire for the men's team.

This may not be the best logic, could be somewhat hypocritical, and may even have some chauvinistic overtones. However, here are my thoughts on why. The men's team is too much of a revenue generator to take a chance like this. The women's team really has no where to go but up. The attendance is minimum, and interest has waned from when Blair was at the helm. They can't even give away tickets for the women's games.

This is somewhat "out of the box" in terms of the normal hire. It has the potential to generate some excitement initially. With any on court success it could pick up some steam and really take the program forward. If not, they weren't doing so well anyway. Nothing lost. Nothing gained.

There's no way you could take a chance like this in the men's program.

With all that said, if this goes well, maybe Dicky V gets a big time offer to coach somewhere? The genie would be out of the bottle!  ;)

lol

psycHOGlogist

Well, Vitale actually HAS been a head coach! lol

And I think your post is fairly insightful.

baumsquad

High school coaches are in shock... Now they know Arkansas doesn't care bout women's sports they just proved it! What coach lands there recruits? Mulky? Sherri coale? Proven coaches? Or a tv announcer?????
JUST WIN BABY!!

psycHOGlogist

Curious about your statement that high school coaches are in shock. And if they believe the U of A doesn't care about women's sports, perhaps a quick review of the Director's Cup standings -- which has been fueled by excellent showing by women's teams, for the most part -- ought to correct that. Under Long the women's sports programs' performances have improved, in some cases rather dramatically.

Pork Twain

Does anyone even watch women's basketball or is it like T&F and we just brag about wins but otherwise could care less?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

snoblind

Quote from: baumsquad on March 30, 2014, 06:15:54 pm
High school coaches are in shock... Now they know Arkansas doesn't care bout women's sports they just proved it! What coach lands there recruits? Mulky? Sherri coale? Proven coaches? Or a tv announcer?????

How much do you donate to women's programs at Arkansas?  Support them by season tickets?

Hawgon

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 30, 2014, 06:22:37 pm
Curious about your statement that high school coaches are in shock. And if they believe the U of A doesn't care about women's sports, perhaps a quick review of the Director's Cup standings -- which has been fueled by excellent showing by women's teams, for the most part -- ought to correct that. Under Long the women's sports programs' performances have improved, in some cases rather dramatically.

This will not be a popular move with anyone who has devoted himself or herself to the women's game at any level.  They will see it as a slap in the face.  Every women's high school coach in the country can legitimately say that he/she is more qualified for the job than Jimmy Dykes.

3kgthog

What does it say to the players when Long takes this kind of risk with their futures? There are coaches out there where you know what you are getting. This hire hasn't coached in 20+ years and never held a steady position coaching anywhere.

Pat Bradley loves the Hogs and can probably break down some tape, but you'd never want him hired to coach the men. Those are some of the reasons Long gave for making this hire. That's a slap in the face to other coaches who might've been interested and have actually paid their dues as a head coach. Jimmy left the court, became a commentator, and just got gifted an SEC job. That just doesn't sit well with me. Not that anyone asked.

secfan30

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 30, 2014, 05:00:51 pm

Appreciate the answer and that makes sense.

Inhogswetrust

I do think each sport has it's on merits on hiring. Remind us again what John McDonnell coached before coming to the Hogs. That didn't turn out so bad. The thing about this hire is if it doesn't work out then it only keeps the women's team as an afterthought to most. If it does work out then you won't have to worry as much about him jumping ship to any of the better known women's basketball programs.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 30, 2014, 06:44:26 pm
What does it say to the players when Long takes this kind of risk with their futures?

What kind of risk is that exactly? Will this affect their status in the WNBA draft? How may of the young ladies have a legit shot at pro ball? Will it affect their chances of earning a degree?

It's more likely it will affect how many people attend the games next season, at least for a while anyway.

Delicious~Dreams

I'm excited!  Congratulations to Coach Dykes and Lady Backs!

I think it's a great hire.....and I heard he is already making contact with several area HS Coaches, so from a recruiting stand point alone,  I say Call The Hogs Baby!   WPS :)

HogWildBison2011

I called the hogs at work at the end of that presser! That man has some passion that I have not seen for a long time! I can't wait to see what he accomplishes as our Head Coach! WPS & Never Yield!

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2014, 01:42:44 pm
Bo and Jimmy are friends.
Obviously. Bo will go from minor/invisible coverage of the WBB program to enough attention on his show to help Jimmy and the women's program where possible.

Listening to Jimmy's interviews makes me optimistic that he can get it done. Jimmy gives attention to detail in his ESPN job.

" GO HOGS "

Kevin

Unique hire. He will draw national attention for a while. 
Interesting to see what his style of play will be
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ClearEyes

Quote from: Hawgon on March 30, 2014, 06:28:30 pm
This will not be a popular move with anyone who has devoted himself or herself to the women's game at any level.  They will see it as a slap in the face.  Every women's high school coach in the country can legitimately say that he/she is more qualified for the job than Jimmy Dykes.
\

So great, you are now not a fan of the women's program, so don't buy tickets, turn in your gear, and log off your computer and go dispense your WHINE somewhere else.

Hawgon

Quote from: ClearEyes on March 30, 2014, 08:07:24 pm
\

So great, you are now not a fan of the women's program, so don't buy tickets, turn in your gear, and log off your computer and go dispense your WHINE somewhere else.

Get more than 55 posts and quit posting from the BAC before you tell me what to do.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawgon on March 30, 2014, 08:12:33 pm
Get more than 55 posts and quit posting from the BAC before you tell me what to do.
Why should the number of posts matter, you suppose to be smarter by post count?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Mike, I appreciate you coming on here and asking the tough question.  What I wonder is will any of the media that cover the Razorbacks ask Long these tough questions? 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.