Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oh My . . . Jimmy Dykes hired as new U of A Women's Hoops coach

Started by WizardofhOgZ, March 30, 2014, 10:14:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog1952

Porked Tongue

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HF#1

A. He can't be worse than Tom Collen

B. He can't recruit worse than Tom Collen

C. National name, knows his stuff.  Knows x's and o's.

D. Alum, proud supporter of the program.

E. Will do a fantastic job and will keep the in state talent at Arkansas.

Love the hire. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

tophawg19

Quote from: lewisfoxtrot on March 30, 2014, 11:23:26 am
Tophawg19 does your avitar have any eligibility left ? If so can she show up for a tryout ?
probably not . she has trouble with double dribble . but when she swings around she can clear out some space
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

lc480

Blair is a good coach, but he most likely will retire in a few years. No one knows what kind of coach Dykes will make because he has no prior head coaching experience. If he can hire the right assistance coach it will make a big difference. He knows the game of basketball , and he young enough to relate with recruits. If he make a good coach the plus is he will be there a long time. 

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: HogFan#1 on March 30, 2014, 11:52:35 am
Will do a fantastic job and will keep the in state talent at Arkansas.

Love the hire. 

Gonna build that wall - yessir.  He gonna due her rite.

Hawgzinbowlz

Bo just became more interested in Hog WBB.

Let's see what happens, as JD knows enough basketball and networks enough nationally to be guardedly optimistic.

Welcome as the new coach Mr. Dykes.

" GO HOGS "

Fatty McGee

Quote from: lc480 on March 30, 2014, 11:54:20 am
Blair is a good coach, but he most likely will retire in a few years. No one knows what kind of coach Dykes will make because he has no prior head coaching experience. If he can hire the right assistance coach it will make a big difference. He knows the game of basketball , and he young enough to relate with recruits. If he make a good coach the plus is he will be there a long time. 

I don't get this "he will relate to the recruits" stuff.  He's a 50 year old MAN.  When I think "relate to the recruits" in women's basketball, the first thing I think is well wouldn't starting with gender be the biggest way to relate?  And how exactly does a 50 year old "relate" to teenage girls?  He hasn't coached since before any of them were born? 

That seems an odd "pro" for this hire.  Not to say that it's not an ok hire, just that other justifications seem better.  Strikes me as a "love the helmet" hire.

(Yes, I know UCONN is coached by a man - not saying it can't be done, just saying "relate to the recruits" seems a weak justification)
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 30, 2014, 12:07:00 pm
I don't get this "he will relate to the recruits" stuff.  He's a 50 year old MAN.  When I think "relate to the recruits" in women's basketball, the first thing I think is well wouldn't starting with gender be the biggest way to relate?  And how exactly does a 50 year old "relate" to teenage girls?  He hasn't coached since before any of them were born? 

That seems an odd "pro" for this hire.  Not to say that it's not an ok hire, just that other justifications seem better.  Strikes me as a "love the helmet" hire.

(Yes, I know UCONN is coached by a man - not saying it can't be done, just saying "relate to the recruits" seems a weak justification)
You and 3kg are against the hire....so that means it will most certainly be a success! Yes! Yes! Yes!

Fatty McGee

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 30, 2014, 12:09:02 pm
You and 3kg are against the hire....so that means it will most certainly be a success! Yes! Yes! Yes!

I'm indifferent to it.  Clearly there were more experienced coaches out there with better (or any) record of success.  But it's women's basketball, so the risk is low.  That's not an indictment of the women's game, which can be fun to watch, it's just an acknowledgment of its place in collegiate sports at UA.  Jimmy Dykes doesn't sniff the Baylor, Notre Dame, UConn, Texas or most of the other SEC jobs.

WilsonHog

Very pleased for Coach Dykes. Outstanding man, who will be a fine representative for our program, for UA, and for our state. As a bonus, great to have a former Razorback on the running our program.

old hog

Think this will be a good hire. He understands the tradition of the Hogs and has been a solid assistant with various teams thru the years. National exposure from ESPN certainly will help in the recruiting aspect.

Hog1952

He has some very good talent already there. I think he will have them competitive really quick.

tophawg19

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 30, 2014, 12:09:02 pm
just applying common sense . if your starting a computer repair business , you wouldn't hire a guy helped people work on them 23 years ago but has since  been writing a blog on computer evaluations . It has been 23 years since he has coached
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 30, 2014, 12:11:09 pm
I'm indifferent to it.  Clearly there were more experienced coaches out there with better (or any) record of success.  But it's women's basketball, so the risk is low.  That's not an indictment of the women's game, which can be fun to watch, it's just an acknowledgment of its place in collegiate sports at UA.  Jimmy Dykes doesn't sniff the Baylor, Notre Dame, UConn, Texas or most of the other SEC jobs.
You guys with the talk of experience..sigh..  Basketball coaching requires 1/100000 the experience that football requires. We could spend time going over the countless NBA coaches who have been hired in the last 10 years without a day of coaching in their life.

Would experience help (which he does have)? Somewhat. Will it be a major factor? Nah

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 30, 2014, 12:21:24 pm
just applying common sense . if your starting a computer repair business , you wouldn't hire a guy helped people work on them 23 years ago but has since  been writing a blog on computer evaluations . It has been 23 years since he has coached
Are the computers basically the same as when he last actively worked on them? If so, I'm okay with someone who worked on them previously at a high level, has stayed in the field while developing a good reputation, and is a person people trust.

I'm willing to bet we'll have better results than with Collen and I can 100% guarantee I'll have more interest in the women's program now.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 30, 2014, 12:22:47 pm
You guys with the talk of experience..sigh..  Basketball coaching requires 1/100000 the experience that football requires. We could spend time going over the countless NBA coaches who have been hired in the last 10 years without a day of coaching in their life.

Would experience help (which he does have)? Somewhat. Will it be a major factor? Nah

Which NBA coaches are those?  I'm struggling to think of one who hadn't sat on the bench as at least an assistant in two decades like Dykes who has been successful.  Del Negro?

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 30, 2014, 12:26:13 pm
Which NBA coaches are those?  I'm struggling to think of one who hadn't sat on the bench as at least an assistant in two decades like Dykes who has been successful.  Del Negro?
Mark Jackson, Del Negro, Jason Kidd are 3 who immediately come to mind without putting any thought at all into it.

Big Nasty 34

I'm a big fan of the hire. He knows basketball, Arkansas, and is a great man of integrity. As far as recruiting, even if he is a man I would think most parents would love for their daughter to play for him. Great guy.

Very talented freshman this year so they'll be good quick!

sooiepig_12

Fatty McGee

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 30, 2014, 12:28:04 pm
Mark Jackson, Del Negro, Jason Kidd are 3 who immediately come to mind without putting any thought at all into it.

You named one who has done any good at all.  And he's not made it past the conference semifinals.  Not sure that makes your case.

coolhog

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 30, 2014, 12:30:06 pm
You named one who has done any good at all.  And he's not made it past the conference semifinals.  Not sure that makes your case.
Nevermind the fact that Jackson is in his 2nd year and has revived a bad franchise and Kidd has the Nets in the playoffs in his first year.
You whiffed there, big time.

hogsanity

Welcome Home Jimmy. It's awesome when a successful former Hog comes home to help the program.  One thing, he is fairly well-known due to his broadcasting.  Might help in recruiting,  time will tell.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Fatty McGee

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 30, 2014, 12:35:50 pm
Nevermind the fact that Jackson is in his 2nd year and has revived a bad franchise and Kidd has the Nets in the playoffs in his first year.
You whiffed there, big time.

You named three guys in 10 years as your example.  Only one really works, and hasn't made it past the second round of the playoffs.  Del Negro got canned by the Clippers for a good coach. 

Did you really cite Jason Kidd and the Nets?  They're 38-33 with the highest payroll in the league by 10+%, and the only reason they'll get in the playoffs is because they're in the awful Eastern Conference. 

HF#1

Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 30, 2014, 12:46:32 pm
You named three guys in 10 years as your example.  Only one really works, and hasn't made it past the second round of the playoffs.  Del Negro got canned by the Clippers for a good coach. 

Did you really cite Jason Kidd and the Nets?  They're 38-33 with the highest payroll in the league by 10+%, and the only reason they'll get in the playoffs is because they're in the awful Eastern Conference. 

Pretty sure you would argue with a brick wall.

Jimmy Dykes will do just fine.  He has a name, he has the knowledge, and he knows the state.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Fatty McGee

Quote from: HogFan#1 on March 30, 2014, 12:47:44 pm
Pretty sure you would argue with a brick wall.

Jimmy Dykes will do just fine.  He has a name, he has the knowledge, and he knows the state.

Only if the brick wall said silly things like "it works in the NBA".

Who knows if he will.  But he has no name in women's sports, we have no clue if he has the knowledge about the women's game, and our current roster has only 3 players from the state.  Maybe you meant he knows where the towns are in this state, which might be useful when getting places, but I'm not sure what else it means.  This looks like a HDN style hire, but it's so low risk it doesn't much matter. 

I do hope he does well though.

HOGINTENNESSEE

BigSexyHog

Don't know why so many are upset with this.  Betting 100% of the cry babies can't even name the starting 5 ladies from last year nor have been to a game ...  I will admit that the women's program means nothing to me either way.  Jimmy D seems like a good guy so I hope he does well.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 30, 2014, 12:46:32 pm

1. I named the first 3 guys to pop in my head which took less than 3 seconds (when you said you couldnt think of any).

2. You call out Jackson for not getting past the 2nd round? He's coached 2 full seasons. So he took a team who hadn't made the playoffs in awhile to the 2nd round in his 2nd season.

3. Kidd has the Nets primed for a playoff run in his 1st season. You mention their talent, have you looked at the injuries they'd had this year?

You whiffed on this one. Better luck next time.

Pork Twain

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 30, 2014, 12:21:24 pm
Right because the huge advances in computer technology is the same as the way coaches make small tweaks to a game that has not really changed much, but the changes that have been made, have been under the eye of JD.  I think I have found your problem.  Now, this is me going back to not caring about women's basketball.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Fayettechill14

Women's basketball isn't like our men's program or football. It doesn't automatically sell itself. Excitement must be generated. Collen might have gotten another year or two if there had been more excitement around the program...

For that reason, I like this hire. There's less parity in women's basketball because it's ALL about generating excitement, which means recruiting.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 30, 2014, 12:56:20 pm
1. I named the first 3 guys to pop in my head which took less than 3 seconds (when you said you couldnt think of any).

2. You call out Jackson for not getting past the 2nd round? He's coached 2 full seasons. So he took a team who hadn't made the playoffs in awhile to the 2nd round in his 2nd season.

3. Kidd has the Nets primed for a playoff run in his 1st season. You mention their talent, have you looked at the injuries they'd had this year?

You whiffed on this one. Better luck next time.

I said I couldn't name any that had been successful.  You've named one, who hasn't gotten past the second round and probably won't this year.

Primed for a playoff run?  Primed for a playoff run?  Where will this run go to?   With that salary they ought to be contending for championships.  They say "Thank God for the Knicks" like Arkansans say "Thank God for Mississippi".  They've spent more than anyone else in the league for a barely .500 team. 

Danny J

GuvHog

Huge hire IMHO for 2 reasons

1. Unlike the previous women's Head coach, Dykes' name is known nation wide so when he steps into the homes of recruits, he'll get major league attention. He could very will get shots at recruits that Collins could only dream of getting a shot at.

2. He is great at x's and O's so the team will be more than fundamentally sound.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogman99

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on March 30, 2014, 01:13:48 pm
there is hardly any sec talent in state. Very rare.

Yes there is. Ask Tennessee, Vanderbilt and Auburn who have taken players from the state in the past. This doesn't include LA Tech, Oklahoma and others who have as well.

McKdaddy

Quote from: HogFan#1 on March 30, 2014, 11:52:35 am
A. He can't be worse than Tom Collen

B. He can't recruit worse than Tom Collen

C. National name, knows his stuff.  Knows x's and o's.

D. Alum, proud supporter of the program.

Agreed
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 30, 2014, 01:01:14 pm
I said I couldn't name any that had been successful.  You've named one, who hasn't gotten past the second round and probably won't this year.

Primed for a playoff run?  Primed for a playoff run?  Where will this run go to?   With that salary they ought to be contending for championships.  They say "Thank God for the Knicks" like Arkansans say "Thank God for Mississippi".  They've spent more than anyone else in the league for a barely .500 team.
http://www.hark.com/clips/gnnhggygmd-the-whiff

rzrbackramsfan

Its kinda sad that we can't have this in the lady razorbacks forum.  Can't they have anything lol?

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 30, 2014, 12:26:13 pm

I'll throw in a football coach, Mark Trestman.  He was trading bonds before he was the Chicago Bears coach.

Wasn't the Florida Gulf Coast (the team that went to the sweet 16 last year) coach a former CEO?

Smithian

This hire only makes sense to me if Jimmy Dykes jumps for a mid major mens program at the first sign of success he has with the Hog hoop ladies

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on March 30, 2014, 01:28:43 pm
I'll throw in a football coach, Mark Trestman.  He was trading bonds before he was the Chicago Bears coach.

Wasn't the Florida Gulf Coast (the team that went to the sweet 16 last year) coach a former CEO?

Trestman was trading bonds as Head Coach of the Montreal Alouettes CFL team?

Enfield (now at USC), was an assistant at Florida St. for about five seasons before taking over at FGC.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Smithian

If Jimmy Dykes can build a figurative wall around the state and not miss on the in state talent the team could be good soon. Seems like Arkansas produces a lot of girls basketball talent.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Smithian on March 30, 2014, 01:34:34 pm
If Jimmy Dykes can build a figurative wall around the state and not miss on the in state talent the team could be good soon. Seems like Arkansas produces a lot of girls basketball talent.
True that, we had Jessica Jackson and Tyler Scaife last year. Collen might still be our coach had he gotten Scaife.

I'll go ahead and make the typical yokel comment that Dykes should add Rickey Smith to his staff. Smith may be the best high school basketball coach in the state. Northside girls get there each and every year.

HF#1

Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 30, 2014, 12:52:09 pm
Only if the brick wall said silly things like "it works in the NBA".

Who knows if he will.  But he has no name in women's sports, we have no clue if he has the knowledge about the women's game, and our current roster has only 3 players from the state.  Maybe you meant he knows where the towns are in this state, which might be useful when getting places, but I'm not sure what else it means.  This looks like a HDN style hire, but it's so low risk it doesn't much matter. 

I do hope he does well though.

It's definitely a helmet hire.  Had Dykes not been an alum and known supporter, he doesn't even get a look much less the job.  I wouldn't go as far as saying he's a HDN type hire.  He's probably way more organized and smarter in general.

At least now he doesn't have to appear to be neutral.  He can fully support his alma mater.

I've always thought he would make a good coach.  He knows how to communicate effectively. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MorrellHog on March 30, 2014, 12:06:27 pm
Bo just became more interested in Hog WBB.

Let's see what happens, as JD knows enough basketball and networks enough nationally to be guardedly optimistic.

Welcome as the new coach Mr. Dykes.

" GO HOGS "

Bo and Jimmy are friends.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi