Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 28, 2024, 05:05:28 pm

Are We Afraid to Attempt a FG Now?

Started by KennyForAD, October 01, 2017, 08:32:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

KennyForAD

Looked that way yesterday.  How much do we have to pay to hire a coach who can put a kicking game together, 8 million?  10?  4 is clearly not enough...

1HourToHogville

Converted two out of three 4th downs, with the 2 successful attempts resulting in drives that scored touchdowns, per article today.  We pay for analytics reports to help make those decisions. 

Not the answer you wanted but continue on.....

hobhog

I saw zero situations Saturday where I was wanting a FG. Zero.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 01, 2017, 08:32:56 pm
Looked that way yesterday.  How much do we have to pay to hire a coach who can put a kicking game together, 8 million?  10?  4 is clearly not enough...

Boo hoo??
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KennyForAD

Quote from: 1HourToHogville on October 01, 2017, 08:52:44 pm
Converted two out of three 4th downs, with the 2 successful attempts resulting in drives that scored touchdowns, per article today.  We pay for analytics reports to help make those decisions. 

Not the answer you wanted but continue on.....

How much are we paying some con man to tell us not to attempt a FG?  LOL  Who is paying MONEY to be told that the Hogs should just go for it on 4th down?   lmao

GoHogzzGo

Yes we are afraid after TCU. This game I agreed with how we handled the fourth down situations.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

KennyForAD

Quote from: hobhog on October 01, 2017, 08:54:38 pm

If you can't kick a FG with regularity, you can't win with any regularity. 

tee1up2par

Quote from: hobhog on October 01, 2017, 08:54:38 pm

Not disagreeing with u but the opportunity to kick one in a real game would have been nice. Should have attempted one in the last 4th down we went for. Now if one is missed in a crucial situation, it's gonna be because of "inexperience"
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

KennyForAD

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on October 01, 2017, 09:00:06 pm
Yes we are afraid after TCU. This game I agreed with how we handled the fourth down situations.

Winner!  Yes, we are terrified to attempt a FG now.   

KennyForAD

Quote from: tee1up2par on October 01, 2017, 09:01:18 pm
Not disagreeing with u but the opportunity to kick one in a real game would have been nice. Should have attempted one in the last 4th down we went for. Now if one is missed in a crucial situation, it's gonna be because of "inexperience"

Yes!  We do have some fans with functioning brains.  Thank u.  To the rest of you nitwits:

YOUR COACH IS TOO SCARED AND EMBARRASSED TO ATTEMPT A FG AGAINST A SUNBELT TEAM

island hog

Maybe he was just trying to get the offense to push through some of the issues it's been having.  And why don't you say "our" instead of "your"... hmmmm

presidenthog

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 01, 2017, 09:07:41 pm
Yes!  We do have some fans with functioning brains.  Thank u.  To the rest of you nitwits:

Or he isn't afraid that a sun belt team will stop him....

Btw I do not want to ever attempt another fg in the Bert era. So I'm happy with the 4th down calls.

hobhog

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 01, 2017, 09:02:41 pm
Winner!  Yes, we are terrified to attempt a FG now.

Not what coach B said.

Sed76

It would have been nice to let the guy try one in a less pressure situation with a comfortable lead. Hopefully it won't come back to bite us in the rear end if we ever need a game winning attempt.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

jkstock04

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 01, 2017, 09:07:41 pm

To his credit he did say we would have to go for it on 4th down from now on.

Zero doubt in my mind kicking a fg is the last thing he wants to do. You gotta believe Bielema was sweating that game Saturday big time. He danced in the locker room over the victory of a sun belt team. Losing that game would've 100% sealed his fate as our coach.

Doubtful he wanted to take a chance on the fg. We needed to win the game, not practice field goals. Essentially, you are right...without doubt he isn't racing to kick field goals right now. All of our special teams have been overall awful during his time here.

But context of Saturday was that we needed to win...we needed points to do so. Possible kicking situation percentages dwarfed percentages of converting 4th downs. He probably made the right decision.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hawgphat

Generally speaking, unless our offense is facing fourth and long from 10 yards or more outside The Red Zone, I'm not a big fan of field goals.  They can become a "crutch" that is resorted to all too often by an offense that can become used to settling for 3 points instead of going for 7.  I don't like to see evidence of a habitual "settling for 3 points" offensive mindset.  That's just me.