Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New starting lineup

Started by BannerMountainMan, December 05, 2017, 06:40:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

cardsNhogs

cardsNhogs

And 10-0 out of the gate. This starting 5 is too slow!

Hawgphish

HawgsPolo

Should be this going forward:
Barford
Macon
CJ
DT
Gafford

Beard
Day day
Adrio
Cook
Trey
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

cardsNhogs

Quote from: HawgsPolo on December 05, 2017, 07:27:20 pm
Should be this going forward:
Barford
Macon
CJ
DT
Gafford

Beard
Day day
Adrio
Cook
Trey
we are best when Bailey and Gafford are on the floor together. They are both so athletic on the defensive end. Dustin Thomas shouldnt see the floor IMO

Lud42

I think our best line up a lot of the time is:

Macon/Barford/Beard
Jones
Hall
Thomas/Baily
Gafford

That is our most athletic and best defensive team, but still has plenty of scoring punch.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.--H.L. Mencken

Rbill

Tonight's starting 5 should never start together again. In fact, they should be kept as far away from each other as possible during the game as well. Those are the same 5 seniors we have resorted to for giant chunks in our 2 bad losses thinking somehow they will be the 5 to pull us back into the game together. They will not. They have proven over several games they do not play well together. I have no idea why. Once CJ and Gafford broke them up, everything changed.

Like Kikko said, things just happen when Gafford is on the floor. Then we also began substituting very well. Kudos to Mike for that. We subbed in 1 or 2 at a time, keeping the starters mixed in with other players all the way through the half.

Starters should be
Macon
Barford
Jones
Bailey
Gafford

chortle

Quote from: cardsNhogs on December 05, 2017, 07:42:56 pm
we are best when Bailey and Gafford are on the floor together. They are both so athletic on the defensive end. Dustin Thomas shouldnt see the floor IMO

This.

Starting 5 should be:
Barford
Macon
Jones
Bailey
Gafford

HOGINTENNESSEE

I personally prefer Bailey with Thompson and Gafford with Thomas

Dominicanhog

Didn't Mike say he could have as many as 10-11 starting lineups.. This time of year, he's going to try a lot of things, starters, combinations, finding cohesion among different players... it's all part of the process..

SPAL

I couldn't care less who starts. Who gets the most minutes.....that's the important factor.

Macon
Barford
Beard
Gafford
Jones

Hawg Red

Staggering talent/producers is important to start the game so you don't have a let down. That said, I wouldn't say there isn't a need to get Daniel Gafford in the starting lineup. I think Jones is a great bench player to come in and bust heads from 3. I think Hall is a great energy guy off the bench. I understood why Thomas was put back into the starting lineup, but I think they should keep Bailey in there and bring Thomas in with Jones. Ideally, for me, I think the bench unit should be Beard, Jones, Thompson, Thomas and Cook. I think Gafford and Bailey need to be starting, and I think Hall could play the Manny Watkins role with great defensive versatility due to his size. But I get that he's a freshman but I hope to see that by the end of the season, him starting at the 3. To have two junkyard dogs like Hall and Bailey out there hustling and defending while Gafford, Macon and Barford do all the heavy lifting on offense would be interesting to me.

Danny J

Quote from: Rbill on December 05, 2017, 10:31:22 pm
Tonight's starting 5 should never start together again. In fact, they should be kept as far away from each other as possible during the game as well. Those are the same 5 seniors we have resorted to for giant chunks in our 2 bad losses thinking somehow they will be the 5 to pull us back into the game together. They will not. They have proven over several games they do not play well together. I have no idea why. Once CJ and Gafford broke them up, everything changed.

Like Kikko said, things just happen when Gafford is on the floor. Then we also began substituting very well. Kudos to Mike for that. We subbed in 1 or 2 at a time, keeping the starters mixed in with other players all the way through the half.

Starters should be
Macon
Barford
Jones
Bailey
Gafford

cardsNhogs

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on December 06, 2017, 07:59:45 am
I couldn't care less who starts. Who gets the most minutes.....that's the important factor.

Macon
Barford
Beard
Gafford
Jones
I would like to see the best 5 starting and playing majority minutes and not be down 13-2 to start the game. It means something to the players also to be in that starting lineup and If your one of the better players then you should be in there.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: chortle on December 05, 2017, 11:10:23 pm

This.

Starting 5 should be:
Barford
Macon
Jones
Bailey
Gafford
This is our best Lineup

Pistol Pig Maravich

Thomas should not get the most minutes

NWAHog479

Bailey obviously did not react well to the change. Thinking it is going to be like last year, Mike is going to split the minutes up and go with whoever is playing the best at the PF position.

Kevin McPherson

With some exceptions, starting doesn't matter, it's more about minutes played and who's on the floor when it matters.

Right now, this is how I would prefer the rotation ...

Starters ...

* Barford (28-30 mins) ... shooter/scorer first, handler and facilitator second ... making an early bid for All SEC honors, has been most-consistent and best player to date

* Macon (28-30 mins) ... shooter/scorer first, handler and facilitator second ... streaky but clutch, he's going to win 2-3 games at the FT line because he knows how to manufacture FT opportunities, then he knocks them down ... underrated facilitator

* Beard (24-26 mins) ... handler and facilitator first, defense second, shooter/scorer last ... when Hogs are moving and sharing the ball, Beard's attempts go down and he does a better job of assisting while taking care of the ball ... prefer him not to take more than 8 shots a night.

* Gafford (25-28 mins) ... potential to be Arkansas's best overall player as a freshman ... he's at 19 min per right now, but I think a priority should be to minimize fouling so Dan can stay on the floor, as that would result in the best version of the Hogs.

* Bailey (15-18 mins) ... energy & hustle guy to start the game ... for the most part it seems like Adrio gets off to fast starts and helps inspire the others

2nd unit ...

* Thompson (15-20 mins) ... whether he starts or comes off the bench, I think Hogs are better off when Trey's not being counted on to deliver a starter's role/production at the 5. Trey's efficient, but can't consistently produce in volume, and he seems to be a little heavier this year which combined with already being athletically challenged has him struggling to complete rebounds, close-outs, putbacks, etc. Nice complementary role player.

* Thomas (20-22 mins) ... out of the choices at the combo-4 spot, Thomas is the best rebounder, mid-range shooter, and passer ... I like him coming off the bench to replace Bailey, but I also like him getting the starter minutes / role as the guy who's typically going to play the most minutes and be on the floor in the 4th Q of competitive games.

* Jones (22-24 mins) ... CJ is a scoring weapon, a change-of-pace to Macon, Barford and Beard who ALL create their own offense off the bounce. He's just under 20 mins per game (19.6), but hoping he can cut into Beard's time as I like his fit with both Barford and Macon. I prefer Jones playing off the bench, instant offense with 2nd unit.

* Hall (12-17 mins) ... he makes Arkansas better defensively on the perimeter IMMEDIATELY when he enters the game. He makes mistakes, but his length, athleticism, and instincts leads to drawn charges, deflections, ball-denials, and it seems like Arkansas forces more shot-clock violations when he's in the game. His offense is better than fans have seen so far, just a matter of time as he continues to adjust to the high-major level of hoops.

* Cook (8-12 mins) ... not sure after only 1 gm / 15 mins how he fits in with this team, but I'd say rotating at the 4, even at the 5 for Gafford/Thompson when they are in foul trouble is how he can help out for now.

* Gabe (? mins ?) ... seems he's relegated to mop-up duty now that Arkansas's frontline has added the 2 previously suspended senior forwards. I like Gabe's upside, not sure how to project minutes for him, though, because of being 6th in the frontline pecking order and only 80 minutes to divvy up among all 6.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on December 06, 2017, 05:07:17 pm
With some exceptions, starting doesn't matter, it's more about minutes played and who's on the floor when it matters.

Starters ...

* Barford (28-30 mins) ... shooter/scorer first, handler and facilitator second ... making an early bid for All SEC honors, has been most-consistent and best player to date

* Macon (28-30 mins) ... shooter/scorer first, handler and facilitator second ... streaky but clutch, he's going to win 2-3 games at the FT line because he knows how to manufacture FT opportunities, then he knocks them down ... underrated facilitator

* Beard (24-26 mins) ... handler and facilitator first, defense second, shooter/scorer last ... when Hogs are moving and sharing the ball, Beard's attempts go down and he does a better job of assisting while taking care of the ball ... prefer him not to take more than 8 shots a night.

* Gafford (25-28 mins) ... potential to be Arkansas's best overall player as a freshman ... he's at 19 min per right now, but I think a priority should be to minimize fouling so Dan can stay on the floor, as that would result in the best version of the Hogs.

* Bailey (15-18 mins) ... energy & hustle guy to start the game ... for the most part it seems like Adrio gets off to fast starts and helps inspire the others

2nd unit ...

* Thompson (15-20 mins) ... whether he starts or comes off the bench, I think Hogs are better off when Trey's not being counted on to deliver a starter's role/production at the 5. Trey's efficient, but can't consistently produce in volume, and he seems to be a little heavier this year which combined with already being athletically challenged has him struggling to complete rebounds, close-outs, putbacks, etc. Nice complementary role player.

* Thomas (20-22 mins) ... out of the choices at the combo-4 spot, Thomas is the best rebounder, mid-range shooter, and passer ... I like him coming off the bench to replace Bailey, but I also like him getting the starter minutes / role as the guy who's typically going to play the most minutes and be on the floor in the 4th Q of competitive games.

* Jones (22-24 mins) ... CJ is a scoring weapon, a change-of-pace to Macon, Barford and Beard who ALL create their own offense off the bounce. He's just under 20 mins per game (19.6), but hoping he can cut into Beard's time as I like his fit with both Barford and Macon. I prefer Jones playing off the bench, instant offense with 2nd unit.

* Hall (12-17 mins) ... he makes Arkansas better defensively on the perimeter IMMEDIATELY when he enters the game. He makes mistakes, but his length, athleticism, and instincts leads to drawn charges, deflections, ball-denials, and it seems like Arkansas forces more shot-clock violations when he's in the game. His offense is better than fans have seen so far, just a matter of time as he continues to adjust to the high-major level of hoops.

* Cook (8-12 mins) ... not sure after only 1 gm / 15 mins how he fits in with this team, but I'd say rotating at the 4, even at the 5 for Gafford/Thompson when they are in foul trouble is how he can help out for now.

* Gabe (? mins ?) ... seems he's relegated to mop-up duty now that Arkansas's frontline has added the 2 previously suspended senior forwards. I like Gabe's upside, not sure how to project minutes for him, though, because of being 6th in the frontline pecking order and only 80 minutes to divvy up among all 6.
you are spot on about Thomas, he is a hoss on the offensive glass
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

TexArkHogFan

The only problem starting Gafford is if picks up a couple of quick fouls, he will have to sit the rest of the half.  I think not putting him until after five minutes have passed is best until he gets his fouling under control.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Dominicanhog

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on December 07, 2017, 03:45:49 pm
The only problem starting Gafford is if picks up a couple of quick fouls, he will have to sit the rest of the half.  I think not putting him until after five minutes have passed is best until he gets his fouling under control.

I agree that is what Mike is doing... as DG get's more acclimated, we may see a change later in the year...

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on December 06, 2017, 05:07:17 pm

Starters ...

2nd unit ...

Good right up.  I'd say between Cook and Thomas those minutes could be switched on any given night.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on December 07, 2017, 03:45:49 pm
I agree, I don't want Macon, Barford, and Gafford on the bench getting a breather at the same time either, because that leaves us very vulnerable on offense.

Razorod

Agreed and I like what a poster said (I think it was Niels Boar) about pairing Bailey with Thompson and Thomas with Gafford. Doing so allows you to keep one of your athletic bigs (Bailey and Gafford) on the floor at all times and Thomas is a good high/low combination with Gafford as well as Thompson with Bailey.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Scott7703

This.

Starting 5 should be:
Barford
Macon
Jones
Bailey
Gafford

This should be the starting 5.

b-ball coach

December 09, 2017, 10:44:05 am #26 Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 11:02:29 am by b-ball coach
In this system starters don't matter; the rotation is much more important. It takes work to analyze which combinations grade +\- out best. If the players know who is getting what minutes
they can overcome the anxiety of worrying about PT. I'm not suggesting that these players get these minutes, but this would serve as an example of rotation with the best players getting the most minutes and rest time built in. If someone is really hot you can obviously adjust. Players perform better when they know what is ahead of them, and also know how you're basing your decisions. Performance = Time

3 min.          5-6min.        3min.       5-6min.

A.                B.               C.              D.
Beard         Barford         Beard        Beard
Macon         Jones           Jones        Macon
Barford       Macon          Hall           Barford
Bailey         Thomas        Bailey        Thomas
Thompson   Gafford        Cook          Gafford

Rawker

This.

Starting 5 should be:
Barford
Macon
Jones
Bailey
Gafford

Wow.  I actually agree with someone 100% here for once.  Bailey and Gafford together are true Hawgball, and Beard doesn't have the shooting touch of Jones, so even though I was thinking that Jones had no idea where to go on O or D, he has figured out that he just needs to hit a spot, catch and shoot...and most times he hits.  Beard has way more of a tendency of ill-advised shots, so can cost possessions.  Jones, even if he misses, you feel like it was a shot worth taking.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: b-ball coach on December 09, 2017, 10:44:05 am
In this system starters don't matter; the rotation is much more important. It takes work to analyze which combinations grade +\- out best. If the players know who is getting what minutes
they can overcome the anxiety of worrying about PT. I'm not suggesting that these players get these minutes, but this would serve as an example of rotation with the best players getting the most minutes and rest time built in. If someone is really hot you can obviously adjust. Players perform better when they know what is ahead of them, and also know how you're basing your decisions. Performance = Time

This is pretty close to what I am thinking about with not starting Gafford, except my reasoning is to protect Gafford from a fouls perspective and I don't want your group C to ever be on the floor unless it is garbage time. If they were to score it would be on a turnover or a complete defensive breakdown.

Headhog32

Quote from: cardsNhogs on December 05, 2017, 07:42:56 pm
I agree

Rbill

Quote from: b-ball coach on December 09, 2017, 10:44:05 am

I agree completely that the rotation is more important. It looked and worked GREAT against Colorado State. The problem was the starting 5 put us in a huge hole and never play particularly well together. After that the rotations were great. In years past we have looked terrible with rotations and did wholesale unit rotations which was very frustrating. Against Colorado State we rotated the seniors around with the young energy guys and it worked great. Just fix that first 5 minutes.

Razor_back

Thomas starting was a good call by Coach A. He was key in that initial big run. Trusting Coach.
Go Hogs

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Razor_back on December 09, 2017, 08:23:05 pm
Thomas starting was a good call by Coach A. He was key in that initial big run. Trusting Coach.

Bailey, Cook and Thomas are all so equal in my opinion.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on December 09, 2017, 08:25:35 pm

16 pts .. 6 rbs .. 2 asst ..1 stl  and 0 To's  the 3 headed shark

Hogs49ers

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 09, 2017, 08:36:41 pm
16 pts .. 6 rbs .. 2 asst ..1 stl  and 0 To's  the 3 headed shark

Really happy for DT, he has really improved his mid range jumper game!  He deserves to be getting the starting share of minutes between the 3, but what is great is that I definitely feel confident that Bailey and Cook will pick up the slack and will not miss much of a beat with DT comes out!  Great situation here compared to last year and only appears to be getting better going forward with Chaney, Henderson, and Phillips coming in next year!!! Woooo! Exciting time to be a Hog basketball fan and pretty much a fan of anything Hog related right now!
SCREW Vandy!

Razor_back

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on December 09, 2017, 08:25:35 pm

I can see Bailey, but Cook to me is clearly behind Thomas. DT ball movement and passing skills are better.
Go Hogs

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Razor_back on December 09, 2017, 08:50:03 pm
I can see Bailey, but Cook to me is clearly behind Thomas. DT ball movement and passing skills are better.

Cook is probably the best defender of the 3.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: ShadowHawg on December 09, 2017, 08:54:41 pm
Cook is probably the best defender of the 3.

Really scrappy rebounder too.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Razor_back on December 09, 2017, 08:50:03 pm

Cook has only been back for just 2 games now. He should get better as he plays more.
Hogs up! Covid down!