Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Due Diligence and Payback

Started by RedRazorHog, November 07, 2017, 06:52:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRazorHog

I'm not sure that Jeff Long and the search committee really checked Bert out prior to hiring him.  If you do a modicum of research you can find loads of things that are should have been concerning, and if you if are familiar with him today - they are very familiar.  Take a look at this article https://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2012/12/6/3734422/farewell-bret-bielema-arkansas-wisconsin-good-bad-ugly

This article highlights what many of us here on HV have suspected - that Bert randomly takes control and overrules his coordinators (just as he proudly claimed to in his post CC presser "I made the decision to play TJ..."let's get him out there") http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/4422907-matt-canada-bret-bielema-power-struggle-wisconsin-badgers-rose-bowl-nebraska

This past weekend I was at a sporting event and on the West Coast and I see a guy where a Iowa Hawkeye sweatshirt.  I say to him, "Hey great job knocking of Ohio State" and we start talking.  Well his real team is Wisconsin (his son is an athlete at Iowa).  Naturally a conversation on Bert ensues...and what he told me was amazing.  He had a kid in the athletic department there when Bert was doing what Barry Alvarez had instructed him to do (aka Coaching).  All the same stuff - plays favorites, obsessed with playing walk-ons over starters, not playing the best players, overruling his coordinators, he says "never, ever, ever let him coach the special teams" and it just goes on and on.  He said people there were saying things like "Poor Arkansas...they have no idea that they just threw their program right down the toilet".  He did say this though on the positive side - Bert recruits good athletes, actually really good athletes, does not coach them well at all - but a new coach can come in and get a solid season right away.  He gave evidence of it.  Said it's only a dumpster fire while Bert is in charge.

His view is that he left Wisconsin just before he got run out of town for several reasons.  Said the guy couldn't win the big game, and that Barry had tired of his in-game decisions.  He famously had a public argument with his O-Coordinator... the story he told was that Barry got involved and told him to quit overruling the coordinator and let him call the game, and then suddently Wisky went out and blew up the scoreboard.

Seems like we are seeing the same signs....so question is this:  Jeff Long is a lot of things, but he's not stupid, he's actually highly intellectual.  Do we think he did not listen, or did not get the information? 

One other thing - he told me that Matt Canada is going to try to run up the score on Arkansas.  Apparently Matt can't stand Bert, they parted on bad terms... and he's going to be paying back Bert with some gusto.

"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

hawgon

I've been saying that Canada would run up the score on him all year.   Canada hates him.  When they are done with us, LSU fans are going to be pissed because they are going to see things that they haven't seen all year.

RedRazorHog

Yeah the guy that I was talking to basically said that "it got ugly" between Canada and Bert.  He said exactly what you just said "he's gonna show the LSU fans they haven't seen before" said Canada was a very good offensive coordinator because he has a total game philosophy, and he wanted to play the best athletes - which Bielema wanted to play "his guys".  Said Canada is going to get some very serious payback...
"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

HoggyCat

Welcome to 2012.  I tried telling people this back then. His record is a fraud.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Pork Twain

Any AD worth his salt, talks to fans and does not worry about a coach's record.  Far Jeff Long
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

rtr

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 07, 2017, 07:32:40 am
Any AD worth his salt, talks to fans and does not worry about a coach's record.  Far Jeff Long
Due dilligence means checking this potential hire out thoroughly, from all indications this was not done.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

jgphillips3

Here's how I view it.  Have you ever met an attractive woman who seems to have it all together and who has an ex she is leaving/left because he was just a total monster?  So you fall for her, date her (God help you if you marry her) and then you start to realize the ex was actually a great guy and pretty much everything the Crazy witch has told you is because it came out of the snake pit that is her mind and you are left desperately searching for a way to get rid of her; that's where we are.

Hoggish1

Quote from: rtr on November 07, 2017, 07:37:36 am
Due dilligence means checking this potential hire out thoroughly, from all indications this was not done.

And that's why you don't allow Long to continue in his job!

hawgon

This game has been circled in both locker rooms since Canada got the job.  Bert knows that he will be embarrassed if he doesn't pull out all the stops.

Hogwild

Quote from: rtr on November 07, 2017, 07:37:36 am

The coaching search started and ended the moment Long read the letter from CBB. BOT can't afford to let Jeff Long hire the next head coach that would destroy the program.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: hawgon on November 07, 2017, 08:26:54 am
This game has been circled in both locker rooms since Canada got the job.  Bert knows that he will be embarrassed if he doesn't pull out all the stops.

I just hope the Hogs run their game plan, and not get cute.  That will get them killed.   Just run the freaking football and get out of there.

King Kong

Quote from: hawgon on November 07, 2017, 07:18:10 am
I've been saying that Canada would run up the score on him all year.   Canada hates him.  When they are done with us, LSU fans are going to be pissed because they are going to see things that they haven't seen all year.

Canada does indeed not like him

Hogwild

QuoteA vacant stare off into the distance when something's not going right, compounded by an expression that can only be described as "trying to whistle while constipated."

Television cameras routinely catch Bielema in this pose, when you would expect most other coaches to be yelling for an explanation from the refs or talking on the head set to his other coaches to determine what the hell just happened. Nope, Bret just stays motionless, like someone played a prank on him and he just woke up in bed at the 50-yard line

Boy the writer really nailed that one.

Pork Twain

Nothing better than a large group of men pretending to know something when they don't.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 07, 2017, 09:11:46 pm
Nothing better than a large group of men pretending to know something when they don't.

Lol...pretty much sums up most threads on HV...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

East Clintwood

- Jeffy received and read the love letter that Bert sent to him.
- Then he read it again.  And again.
- He then looked up Bert on Wikipedia because he had no idea Who Bert was.
- Next he re-read the love letter twice.
- And once more, he went back and read Bert's Wikipedia page again.
- After a few minutes of contemplation, he re-read the love letter, twice.
- Next he went to Wisconsin Football's web page to verify that they did indeed have a P5 football team.  While there, he read Bert's profile.
- Satisfied that Wisconsin did have a team in the B10 and that they had a good record and Bert was in fact their head coach and had gone to 2 Rose Bowls and might to to a third.
- Jeffy smiled.
- Then re-read the love letter 7 more times for good measure.
- Finally he picked up the phone and hired himself a new head coach.
- Afterward he sat back satisfied with himself.  "Three hours work, this coach-hiring stuff isn't that hard afterall" he thought to himself.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Razorbackers

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 07, 2017, 09:11:46 pm

It's getting out of hand.

DeltaBoy

Long hired him cause of that Note.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Cotton

Quote from: Hogwild on November 07, 2017, 08:53:44 am
Boy the writer really nailed that one.
I spit coffee when I read that in the article lol. Too accurate.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

I believe Clintwood is on to something and though, maybe not totally and exactly as it happened, I would offer its very close. 

Even if Bret was everything his record indicated, he was still not the coach Arkansas needed.  You do not out BAMA, BAMA or Aubbie or MSU or Fla or SC or GA or LSU or usually TN and OM.  The lines on both sides of the ball are absolutely necessary to correctly operate a Power Run, T.O.P. gameplan.

CareBear

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 07, 2017, 07:51:55 am
Here's how I view it.  Have you ever met an attractive woman who seems to have it all together and who has an ex she is leaving/left because he was just a total monster?  So you fall for her, date her (God help you if you marry her) and then you start to realize the ex was actually a great guy and pretty much everything the Crazy witch has told you is because it came out of the snake pit that is her mind and you are left desperately searching for a way to get rid of her; that's where we are.
Yes I have. I was off of Hogville for circa a year because I was in a Lifetime Movie type drama with a nefarious woman who was very, very charming initially. Not even an argument in 6 months. Things got weird overnight. I should have walked away after Labor Day 2016. Big mistake. She napalmed my soul. Borderline Personality Disorder. Run!