Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rome was not built in a day

Started by HOGness4life, November 10, 2013, 03:07:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HOGness4life

Its very rare for a coach to come in and immediately turn around a program. These things take time. You have to give the grapes time to ferment.

Who is everybody's hot coaching prospect these days? Art Briles is the answer.

Do you know his record in his first two seasons?

4-8 and 4-8.

Did he attend some kind of coaching clinic after year 2 and become a badass coach all of the sudden? No, he was always a stud coach, he just needed time to get his people and plans in place. That is what CBB is doing at Arkansas right now.

I don't care if he has a 7 game losing streak. I don't care if it gets to 15. I have faith we have the right guy in place and we see the fruits of his labor in year 3-5. Wouldn't it be nice if at that time you could look back and think how you supported the team in its deepest depths? The day is darkest before the dawn.

razorbackkid

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Cresthog

We're not even recruiting at a high level.

There is lots of reasons for concern.

HOGness4life

Quote from: Cresthog on November 10, 2013, 03:16:51 pm
We're not even recruiting at a high level.

There is lots of reasons for concern.

Hard to recruit when you have a 7 game losing streak. But CBB will change that soon enough.

BartIV

Quote from: HOGness4life on November 10, 2013, 03:07:17 pm
Its very rare for a coach to come in and immediately turn around a program. These things take time. You have to give the grapes time to ferment.

4-8 and 4-8.

Did he attend some kind of coaching clinic after year 2 and become a badass coach all of the sudden? No, he was always a stud coach, he just needed time to get his people and plans in place. That is what CBB is doing at Arkansas right now.

I don't care if he has a 7 game losing streak. I don't care if it gets to 15. I have faith we have the right guy in place and we see the fruits of his labor in year 3-5. Wouldn't it be nice if at that time you could look back and think how you supported the team in its deepest depths? The day is darkest before the dawn.
Sorry, but we will be looking for a new coach in 4 years. His system will not win in the SEC.

JonesboroHogFan

We would have been better off hiring Art Briles, Gus or even Mike Gundy.  They win way more than they loose.

Did you know Baylor's average wins the ten years before he took over?
When Art Brilles took over Baylor the previous ten years they had averaged 2.9 wins per year.
Turing around Baylor would be similar to turning around Vanderbilt.  With virtually no previous history of winning it takes a few years.
That's not the case at Arkansas.

We already had enough talent to win 5-7 games with the right coach.
Every Razorback fan needs to consider that statically this is the worst Razorback team since joining the SEC.  It's the lowest amount of points scored and the lowest amount of points allowed.
That's unacceptable!

We have had zero improvement.  Our coaching decisions during the games have been horrible.
Great coaches & great leaders always make immediate improvements even if they don't win.
If Any Arkansas fan thinks we are ever going to be great with our current coach they will be very disappointed.

If we would have hired any of the above coaches we would have already seen drastic improvements.
You can't wait 3-5 years to be a winner if you don't have the right coach.
BB has never coached against the kind of talent the SEC has on a weekly basis.  He was use to coaching against mostly inferior teams with very little potential NFL talent.

HOGness4life

How do you know?

He hung 70 on Nebraska in his last regular season game at Wisconsin.

KevinOMReb

Recruiting is the key.  Here's my yardstick for this class.  There is a lot of deadwood in this class that I'm sure BB would like to replace with better players.
But if the 3 guys from LA are still here on signing day, there's your answer. 
Hotty Toddy,
KevinOMReb

HOGness4life

Quote from: JonesboroHogFan on November 10, 2013, 04:03:25 pm
We would have been better off hiring Art Briles, Gus or even Mike Gundy.  They win way more than they loose.

Did you know Baylor's average wins the ten years before he took over?
When Art Brilles took over Baylor the previous ten years they had averaged 2.9 wins per year.
Turing around Baylor would be similar to turning around Vanderbilt.  With virtually no previous history of winning it takes a few years.
That's not the case at Arkansas.

We already had enough talent to win 5-7 games with the right coach.
Every Razorback fan needs to consider that statically this is the worst Razorback team since joining the SEC.  It's the lowest amount of points scored and the lowest amount of points allowed.
That's unacceptable!

We have had zero improvement.  Our coaching decisions during the games have been horrible.
Great coaches & great leaders always make immediate improvements even if they don't win.
If Any Arkansas fan thinks we are ever going to be great with our current coach they will be very disappointed.

If we would have hired any of the above coaches we would have already seen drastic improvements.
You can't wait 3-5 years to be a winner if you don't have the right coach.
BB has never coached against the kind of talent the SEC has on a weekly basis.  He was use to coaching against mostly inferior teams with very little potential NFL talent.

Again, Art Briles went 4-8 and 4-8 his first two seasons at Baylor.

But you would've supported him through those rough times right?

HOGness4life

Quote from: KevinOMReb on November 10, 2013, 04:03:45 pm
Recruiting is the key.  Here's my yardstick for this class.  There is a lot of deadwood in this class that I'm sure BB would like to replace with better players.
But if the 3 guys from LA are still here on signing day, there's your answer. 

Oh yeah, b/c Ole Miss is an SEC super power. Like we need your advice.

99toLife

Rome wasn't built in 3-4 years either! Just sayin

Jamie Jones

Quote from: BartIV on November 10, 2013, 04:00:36 pm
Sorry, but we will be looking for a new coach in 4 years. His system will not win in the SEC.
This is the dumbest thing I have ever read on Hogville. And that is saying something. Because I have made some pretty stupid remarks. If CBB is gone in 4 years, it will be because he has been hired away because of his success here.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

JonesboroHogFan

Most definitely. 
Arkansas has a history of wining more than they loose.  Baylor never has had a history like Arkansas.
Briles first year he lost 3 games by 7 or less points.  That's was a great improvement.

Jamie Jones

Quote from: HOGness4life on November 10, 2013, 04:05:16 pm
Oh yeah, b/c Ole Miss is an SEC super power. Like we need your advice.
And this should tell you what you need to know about recruiting rankings. They are void if the HC can't develop them into his system. See Texas, Clemson, Ole Miss, and Florida.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HOGness4life on November 10, 2013, 03:07:17 pm

4-8 and 4-8.

True but it was not destroyed in a day either ! I am having a real hard time accepting this team tanked in just 2 years.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ZERO

Quote from: HOGness4life on November 10, 2013, 04:03:27 pm
How do you know?

That was not a regular season game, it was in the B1G Championship Game.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

BartIV

Quote from: jhawg2009 on November 10, 2013, 04:06:00 pm
This is the dumbest thing I have ever read on Hogville. And that is saying something. Because I have made some pretty stupid remarks. If CBB is gone in 4 years, it will be because he has been hired away because of his success here.
I wonder who will be the sloppy second. Hawaii, he would fit right in.

Wayne Watson

Rome didn't have JonesboroHogFan or BartIV as project managers.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

BartIV

Quote from: Wayne Watson on November 10, 2013, 04:25:12 pm
Don't forget Jeff Long. He is our third stooge.

JonesboroHogFan

If they would have had JonesboroHogFan I would have hired Gus or Art.
Arkansas would have a much better product on the field.

trashcan maN

Gus briles and gundy win way more than they lose?

Bret has over a .700 win pct, good for top 15 in the country

BartIV

Quote from: JonesboroHogFan on November 10, 2013, 04:33:18 pm
Hiring Gus would have been a no brainer, but problem is Jeff Long gave it to much thought and chose to make the "big" hire.

99toLife

Quote from: BartIV on November 10, 2013, 04:28:04 pm
Don't forget Jeff Long. He is our third stooge.
He must be the $1,000,000.00 stooge.

Wayne Watson

Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

BartIV

pfrg999

Quote from: HOGness4life on November 10, 2013, 04:03:27 pm
How do you know?

He got 115 straight points scored on him HERE... He no longer coaches a WI.. every stat from there is irrelevant HERE... When he wins alot of games HERE he will be a great coach HERE ...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

99toLife

poloprince

The foundation can be laid in a day. You need to realize BB has lost 7 straight conference games and could possibly set the record for the school.  It's very alarming and the foundation being laid appears to be shaky at best.
$PoLoPrInCe$

99toLife

Quote from: pfrg999 on November 10, 2013, 04:49:53 pm
He got 115 straight points scored on him HERE... He no longer coaches a WI.. every stat from there is irrelevant HERE... When he wins alot of games HERE he will be a great coach HERE ...
Kind of like Mike Anderson and has been here 2 years already, should fire him also?

JonesboroHogFan

He has won less than 70 percent of his games and is statistically dropping fast.

Kevin

The foundation has not been laid. It is currently under construction
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

poloprince

Quote from: 99toLife on November 10, 2013, 04:54:32 pm
Kind of like Mike Anderson and has been here 2 years already, should fire him also?

MA took over a team with APR problems so that's that.  The team we have this season would beat any team we have had in the past decade.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

JonesboroHogFan

BB lacks meticulous detail & that is why he will not build Arkansas into a top level SEC team. 
Only very meticulous coaches are consistently successful in this conference.

If you would pay very close attention to detail you would notice the lack of this with our coaches.

BartIV

Oklahawg

Rome wasn't built in a day, but it burned to the ground in a day while the guy in charged fiddled. Now, maybe that is Bobby (who fiddled around) or JLS (who smiles when he fiddles) but I think you get the idea.

I like the metaphor that Sweetiegate was throwing on the emergency brake while driving 50 MPH. You don't stop immediately. You do tend to have some damage left behind, causing the return to 50 MPH a slow acceleration.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

99toLife

Quote from: JonesboroHogFan on November 10, 2013, 04:57:56 pm
He has won less than 70 percent of his games and is statistically dropping fast.
Then he will be like almost every coach we have ever had!

BartIV

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 10, 2013, 05:05:59 pm
Rome wasn't built in a day, but it burned to the ground in a day while the guy in charged fiddled. Now, maybe that is Bobby (who fiddled around) or JLS (who smiles when he fiddles) but I think you get the idea.

I like the metaphor that Sweetiegate was throwing on the emergency brake while driving 50 MPH. You don't stop immediately. You do tend to have some damage left behind, causing the return to 50 MPH a slow acceleration.
who hired these two guys. I believe that is the fiddler

kchogfan14

Quote from: BartIV on November 10, 2013, 04:00:36 pm

You have got to be kidding me! His philosophy of dominating both sides of the LOS is the same as Saban's. Saban just has the studs to do it. We don't, yet.
Give the man a chance! And don't expect results until 2015.

99toLife

Quote from: BartIV on November 10, 2013, 05:08:17 pm
who hired these two guys. I believe that is the fiddler

Are you saying that Boner Bob was a bad hire also?

Jamie Jones

I feel sorry for the coach who wins a NC here. Nolan was right. Our fans are unrealistic.

ICEman

Quote from: 99toLife on November 10, 2013, 04:05:51 pm
Rome wasn't built in 3-4 years either! Just sayin
But Rome did show continued progress, a few feet of aqueduct here a little Apian way there and a whole lot of Spanish Quarter in between per month.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

StanHog

Quote from: JonesboroHogFan on November 10, 2013, 04:33:18 pm
+1 that is correct.

Melorock089

When our best players are freshmen and sophomores, that's enough said. Give the man time.

JONAS

Quote from: Wayne Watson on November 10, 2013, 04:25:12 pm

Wayne, you can always make me laugh no matter how mad I am.  Thanks.

HF#1

As soon as Petrino's office was cleaned out, this became a 3-4 year rebuild.  Bielema has to completely rebuild the entire back 7 on defense.  By the time he gets that done, the d-line will be completely new. 

We aren't close, we won't be close next year or the year after that.  Rick Shaffer said firing Nutt will set us back 10 years, nah, firing Petrino (because we had to) will set us back at least 5 years.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HF#1

I recommend focusing on the basketball team.  Their days are much brighter.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

EastexHawg

In our case Rome was nearing completion, but we decided to tear it down and see if we could rebuild it from scratch.  Funny,  though...Caesar Long put Bozo the Clown in charge of the construction project.

HF#1

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 10, 2013, 09:36:52 pm
In our case Rome was nearing completion, but we decided to tear it down and see if we could rebuild it from scratch.  Funny,  though...Caesar Long put Bozo the Clown in charge of the construction project.

Pretty sure that was Petrino's doing, not Long's.  I find it funny that people don't want to put any responsibility for this on Petrino.  His actions caused this.

Guess you never take responsibility for anything.

rocknrollcoastie

For everyone jumping on the Briles bandwagon...

Art Briles Career Record: 11 Years, 75-59, .560 Pct. (*at major schools)
Bowl Record: 7 Bowls, 2-5, .286 Pct. (*in major bowls)

Bret Bielema Career Record: 8 Years, 71-31, .696 Pct. (*at major schools)
Bowl Record: 6 Bowls, 2-4, .333 Pct. (*in major bowls)
Hard Rock Nights is on the air in 6 continents, 30 countries, over 100 stations and aired over 150 times a week or you can listen anytime anywhere on mixcloud
http://old.mixcloud.com/hardrocknights/

Hard Rock Nights finding tomorrow's classic rock today...it's what we do