Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This season should determine Bielema's ability to develop.

Started by luke hawg, July 22, 2017, 08:52:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

luke hawg

In a five year stretch Bret Bielema has put more players in the NFL than anyone in Arkansas history which is not good enough to produce a magical season. Every year 4-6 players in a Razorback class are Upper tier SEC talent play their 3-4 years and leave. Bielema has been great at finding JUCO talent that are impact players for 1-2 years. This has probably been his most impressive quality. The immediate impact guys are producing under Bielema. The problem is to this point you've seen little development of redshirt players into upper tier elite talent. For the most part the production from individuals that redshirted have been Petrino recruits. Smothers, Hatcher, Sprinkle, B. Allen, Philon, and Wise. For Bret to next the step, he needs more major contributors from this list.

Keaton, B.
Krause, J.
GIbson, J.
Malone, D.
Wallace, B.
Harris, J.
Ramsey, R
Hall, J.
Taylor, M.
Watts, A.
Ramirez, S.
Jones, J.
Dalton, N.
Hays, D.
Lafrance, G.
Morgan, G.
Walker, D.
Edwards, D.
Pettway, L.
Smith, T.
Stewart, D.
Cantrell, A.
OGrady, C.
Johnson, B.
Hedlund, C.
Jackson, C.
Merrick, J.
Bell, J.
Phillips, T.
Tutt, B.
Roesler, K.
Raulerson, J.
Coley, D.
Richardson, K.

trphog

Good points. Honestly, I'm not greedy. I would love to see marked improvement from these four: Wallace, Ramsey, Hedlund, and Pettway. If those guys take a leap and become difference makers we could have a special season.

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Hawghiggs

We basically play three FCS programs this season. ( Florida A&M, Coastal Carolina, and New Mexico state. ) Plus Ole Miss is looking like a grease fire. So stats might be a little skewed this season.

luke hawg

I've defended Bret to this point because it's been too early to judge his ability given the skill set that got him hired. He has proven that he can bring in elite talent keep it from self destructing and put it in a position to succeed. This seems simple but he is doing it at an unprecedented level for Arkansas according to the NFL. The problem is his scheme doesn't trick anyone. He needs more talent to succeed at a level the fanbase demands. The attrition rate has been low with a consistent effort to supplement recruiting with walk ons and transfers. It's time to start seeing some real production from developmental guys.

hawgsalot

Quote from: luke hawg on July 22, 2017, 09:56:35 pm
I've defended Bret to this point because it's been too early to judge his ability given the skill set that got him hired. He has proven that he can bring in elite talent keep it from self destructing and put it in a position to succeed. This seems simple but he is doing it at an unprecedented level for Arkansas according to the NFL. The problem is his scheme doesn't trick anyone. He needs more talent to succeed at a level the fanbase demands. The attrition rate has been low with a consistent effort to supplement recruiting with walk ons and transfers. It's time to start seeing some real production from developmental guys.

Yeap good post Luke and I agree.  The low attrition rate is pretty amazing almost unprecedented.  The bottom line is this program needs seniors on the lines to stay consistent, build around those and we'll be good enough most years.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: hawgsalot on July 24, 2017, 08:37:12 am
Yeap good post Luke and I agree.  The low attrition rate is pretty amazing almost unprecedented.  The bottom line is this program needs seniors on the lines to stay consistent, build around those and we'll be good enough most years.

A couple of years ago, Dan Mullen had MSU at #1 for a few weeks with a team full of seniors and a once-in-a-lifetime QB.  CBB is accumulating upperclassmen as he is obviously retaining players.  I believe (and I admit it is a belief) those upperclassmen are getting bigger, faster, and smarter about football. Everyone calls Daulton Hyatt "the franchise."  I see AA as a good player, but could we be heading for even better things after this year?

EFBAB

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on July 24, 2017, 08:59:13 am
A couple of years ago, Dan Mullen had MSU at #1 for a few weeks with a team full of seniors and a once-in-a-lifetime QB.  CBB is accumulating upperclassmen as he is obviously retaining players.  I believe (and I admit it is a belief) those upperclassmen are getting bigger, faster, and smarter about football. Everyone calls Daulton Hyatt "the franchise."  I see AA as a good player, but could we be heading for even better things after this year?

EFBAB
I thought the players were calling Cole Kelley the franchise?   
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

AirWarren

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on July 24, 2017, 08:59:13 am

EFBAB

Cole Kelley is the franchise. Not Daulton.

GuvHog

Quote from: luke hawg on July 22, 2017, 09:56:35 pm

Good post. I remember after the 2014 season when things were looking up, people on here were saying "Just wait till Bret gets to the point where he has a team made up of only his recruits, then they'll really be good". Well, this is Bret's 5th season at Arkansas  and the whole team is made up of Bret's recruits. No more excuses, it's time for that big season to happen.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!