Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TCU poised to surprise this season...

Started by Al Boarland, July 18, 2017, 02:05:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

factchecker

Quote from: lakecityhog on July 22, 2017, 09:46:05 pm
Kick coverage, punt coverage and punt protection are basic fundamentals that this staff has had real problems teaching.

We are pretty good at punt coverage.  We didn't allow a touchdown and was 6th best in the SEC in yards allowed per punt return (5.61 ypr).

I also don't know that last time we had a punt blocked outside of Toledo.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: factchecker on July 22, 2017, 10:01:12 pm
We are pretty good at punt coverage.  We didn't allow a touchdown and was 6th best in the SEC in yards allowed per punt return (5.61 ypr).

I also don't know that last time we had a punt blocked outside of Toledo.

Fact you can always come up with stats.  What do you think is the overal perception of our special teams.  Just asking what you think.

factchecker

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 23, 2017, 08:38:37 am
Fact you can always come up with stats.  What do you think is the overal perception of our special teams.  Just asking what you think.

Overall it's not great.

Poor field goal protection is correct.  Field goal kicking is subpar as well.  Kick coverage isn't great but that is amplified by the inability to kick the ball deep.  I'd wish we'd get a kicker to kick it out of the endzone.  Placing the ball on the 25 is better than the 40.

Punt coverage and protection is good.  Our punters have been good (not perfect) under Bielema.  Irwin-Hill was an athletic Aussie style punter.  Toby Baker was a prototypical punter.  I hope we find a good replacement.

ADD:  In regards to the topic - it was not smart to kick the ball to Turpin.  If we are playing an elite return man AND we can't kick it out the end-zone then we need to use the approach we used in the Liberty Bowl.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: factchecker on July 23, 2017, 08:48:26 am
Overall it's not great.

Poor field goal protection is correct.  Field goal kicking is subpar as well.  Kick coverage isn't great but that is amplified by the inability to kick the ball deep.  I'd wish we'd get a kicker to kick it out of the endzone.  Placing the ball on the 25 is better than the 40.

Punt coverage and protection is good.  Our punters have been good (not perfect) under Bielema.  Irwin-Hill was an athletic Aussie style punter.  Toby Baker was a prototypical punter.  I hope we find a good replacement.

ADD:  In regards to the topic - it was not smart to kick the ball to Turpin.  If we are playing an elite return man AND we can't kick it out the end-zone then we need to use the approach we used in the Liberty Bowl.

Thanks, I really like to know what people think for real sometime not just the back and forth stuff. 

theFlyingHog

Quote from: JOKERHOG on July 22, 2017, 06:36:25 pm
Exactly what people said the year after we won in Lubbock and we all remember what happened in Fayetteville the next year.  This is setting up very similarly.  I will go on record with TCU game a clear loss.
TT had a really good QB. Isn't Kenny trill still at tcu? Also, I haven't felt anyone taking TCU lightly like we did tt