Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DWR Stadium Expansion

Started by longpig, February 02, 2017, 02:12:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on March 20, 2018, 03:04:39 pm
Well, the other side is a "home" entrance too. Your ideas are great, but getting the AHDT to agree and funding it are two big hurdles.
i mean, fire the fools blocking it? Primary the guy appointing them? WHATEVER it takes.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 21, 2018, 11:32:29 am
i mean, fire the fools blocking it? Primary the guy appointing them? WHATEVER it takes.

The people of Arkansas are the ones blocking it, not enough funding for the department, lol.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 20, 2018, 02:59:38 pm
There is no way the home entrance to the stadium should look like this. I asked Jeff Long one day, "Would you build a home with brick on the sides and back while leaving the front covered in metal siding with exposed steel beams?" He didn't say anything.

They need to either build over the street and create a nice big entrance area on what is now the elevated parking lot west of the stadium or take the road down a level an build over it at the bottom of the west stands.

I believe this will be the next big improvement to Razorback Stadium.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on March 21, 2018, 11:47:47 am
The people of Arkansas are the ones blocking it, not enough funding for the department, lol.
i will refrain from a political answer here, which you surely know is difficult for me. :)
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ricepig on March 21, 2018, 11:47:47 am

Why would it be funded by the people of Arkansas as that relates to the Highway Dept?

ricepig

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on March 21, 2018, 08:29:26 pm
Why would it be funded by the people of Arkansas as that relates to the Highway Dept?

The people of Arkansas provide the funds for the AHTD, correct?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ricepig on March 21, 2018, 08:34:42 pm
The people of Arkansas provide the funds for the AHTD, correct?

I'm pretty certain that Razorback Football and it's supporters would have to anti up the cost.
Kinda like Walmart being forced to pay for road improvements when they put in a new store...plus all kinds of beautification projects.

All AHTD has to do is ok the plans.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on March 22, 2018, 07:34:37 am
I'm pretty certain that Razorback Football and it's supporters would have to anti up the cost.

What were they thinking when they first built Razorback stadium there generations ago. They should have realized the future need for more space along that road!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

parallaxpig

There is no way the home entrance to the stadium should look like this. I asked Jeff Long one day, "Would you build a home with brick on the sides and back while leaving the front covered in metal siding with exposed steel beams?" He didn't say anything.

They need to either build over the street and create a nice big entrance area on what is now the elevated parking lot west of the stadium or take the road down a level an build over it at the bottom of the west stands.

All I care about is what goes on inside the stadium,  not that it has a pretty exterior.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

ricepig

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on March 22, 2018, 07:34:37 am
Kinda like Walmart being forced to pay for road improvements when they put in a new store...plus all kinds of beautification projects.

All AHTD has to do is ok the plans.
I'm pretty sure the fans and probably Razorback football, are "anti" against the funds at the current time. The may ante up the funds 10-15 years from now.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 22, 2018, 07:40:10 am
All I care about is what goes on inside the stadium,  not that it has a pretty exterior.

The prettier the exterior the more fun it is to have stuff happen inside.........
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Cinco de Hogo

Gosh, makes you wonder why ALL the elite college programs and ALL NFL teams have beautiful stadiums.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2018, 07:42:17 am
I'm pretty sure the fans and probably Razorback football, are "anti" against the funds at the current time. The may ante up the funds 10-15 years from now.

"They" may.

ricepig

GuvHog

It's about more than just the exterior. The upper level west side concourse is horrible.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rljjr

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on March 21, 2018, 04:47:28 pm
I believe this will be the next big improvement to Razorback Stadium.

But, but, but ... it's a TRADITION to see those exposed beams!!! Man, next thing you know they'll want to fill in the gap!!! Oh, wait. THIS POST IS COMPLETE SARCASM. //Sarcasm off//

parallaxpig

Quote from: rljjr on March 22, 2018, 08:17:31 am
But, but, but ... it's a TRADITION to see those exposed beams!!! Man, next thing you know they'll want to fill in the gap!!! Oh, wait. THIS POST IS COMPLETE SARCASM. //Sarcasm off//

paint the beams anthracite
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

rljjr

ricepig

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 22, 2018, 08:23:06 am

Just paint them the same color as the dryvit, it'll blend right in.

twistitup

I have some neighbors down the road that apparently feel the same way - they replace their roof w a new tarp every 2 months.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

parallaxpig

Quote from: twistitup on March 22, 2018, 08:55:53 am
I have some neighbors down the road that apparently feel the same way - they replace their roof w a new tarp every 2 months.

As long as you use enough tires, you'll be ok.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 22, 2018, 08:23:06 am
This is actually a decent band-aid. the white just accentuates it too much.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 22, 2018, 07:43:41 am
The prettier the exterior the more fun it is to have stuff happen inside.........
i mean, why not just play in Waste Management Stadium then?

Look, you dont spend 200+ Million dollars renovating a stadium just to leave the last 25% of the exterior looking like a toothless man's smile. You don't do that on the FRONT of the damn thing if it ends up happening despite your best efforts. And you don't let some pencilstick rednecks in little rock damage the brand by preventing the completion of the FLAGSHIP STADIUM due to a lack of funds (or probably just them doing their part to help the rock in the GSD) when you JUST spent 130 million on amenities that only go to the 1% anyway. WHAT A LOAD OF darn this whole deal is. Embarrassing AF.

rljjr

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 22, 2018, 09:46:34 am

Look, you dont spend 200+ Million dollars renovating a stadium just to leave the last 25% of the exterior looking like a toothless man's smile. You don't do that on the FRONT of the damn thing if it ends up happening despite your best efforts. And you don't let some pencilstick rednecks in little rock damage the brand by preventing the completion of the FLAGSHIP STADIUM due to a lack of funds (or probably just them doing their part to help the rock in the GSD) when you JUST spent 130 million on amenities that only go to the 1% anyway. WHAT A LOAD OF darn this whole deal is. Embarrassing AF.

Can we just demo the whole thing and start over? That's the only way we're going to get a quality stadium experience. Take a year and play all home games (GASP!) in Little Rock.

Build something that is a little smaller with a whole ton of amenities to include:

individual seat backs
the West Side Slide (for Twist)
bigger kitchens
in-seat Coke/beer/whiskey dispensers
cup holders
clear rain pods
privacy potty screens for in-seat relief
in-seat video screens to keep up with the other action going on in the country

Make the total capacity somewhere around 65-70K and call it good for the next 40 years.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on February 03, 2017, 04:59:10 pm
So, where is the underground parking lot going?

We spend $ on underground parking but not to finish the above ground stadium ....hmmm

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on March 22, 2018, 10:35:03 am
We spend $ on underground parking but not to finish the above ground stadium ....hmmm

Well, the only one is the one under the practice fields, unfortunately. Budget cuts/costs, you know. You can't get everything you ask for.

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: ricepig on March 20, 2018, 03:04:39 pm
Well, the other side is a "home" entrance too. Your ideas are great, but getting the AHDT to agree and funding it are two big hurdles.
Now that 49 is complete they should reroute that section of 112 to be part of 49 up to the Garland exit. 

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2018, 10:51:48 am
Well, the only one is the one under the practice fields, unfortunately. Budget cuts/costs, you know. You can't get everything you ask for.

Is a finished stadium too much to ask for? It might be as we struggle w cold water and hot coffee

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on March 22, 2018, 11:14:48 am
Is a finished stadium too much to ask for? It might be as we struggle w cold water and hot coffee

Finished? Was the stadium considered finished before the expansion in 2001, before the West upper deck in the 80''s, will it ever be considered finished??

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2018, 11:21:47 am
Finished? Was the stadium considered finished before the expansion in 2001, before the West upper deck in the 80''s, will it ever be considered finished??

Sure it will be finished...most colleges don't consider their stadiums a continual work in progress....especially when one ENTIRE side is incomplete.

I'm saying we are the only SEC school to have one side of the stadium incomplete - indefinitely

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on March 22, 2018, 11:35:34 am
Sure it will be finished...most colleges don't consider their stadiums a continual work in progress....especially when one ENTIRE side is incomplete.

I'm saying we are the only SEC school to have one side of the stadium incomplete - indefinitely

Go look at Vandy's, maybe a few others. I'm sure if you would spearhead the fundraising and get the needed funds, they'd let you go forward. aTm has recently worked on theirs, Tennessee has made constant additions and has plans in the work, Alabama has added on decks through the years, Florida is discussing plans. So, yes, every stadium has, is, or will, go through constant construction.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2018, 11:49:08 am
Go look at Vandy's, maybe a few others. I'm sure if you would spearhead the fundraising and get the needed funds, they'd let you go forward. aTm has recently worked on theirs, Tennessee has made constant additions and has plans in the work, Alabama has added on decks through the years, Florida is discussing plans. So, yes, every stadium has, is, or will, go through constant construction.

All of those stadiums proceeded with expansion AFTER each stage was completed - I'm almost sure. Not many schools would say 'screw finishing that side of the stadium....let's leave it unfinished and move on to the indoor practice facility, underground parking and north expansion...'

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on March 22, 2018, 12:10:41 pm
All of those stadiums proceeded with expansion AFTER each stage was completed - I'm almost sure. Not many schools would say 'screw finishing that side of the stadium....let's leave it unfinished and move on to the indoor practice facility, underground parking and north expansion...'

As mentioned elsewhere, they consider that side finished, even if you don't.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2018, 12:27:01 pm

I remember it being said that Frank Broyles was very angry when he was informed that there was not enough room to put the facade on the west side.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2018, 12:27:01 pm

According to the original plans?

Who is 'they'?

Can we get the minutes on your meeting w HY (since you obviously had one)?

parallaxpig

Quote from: twistitup on March 22, 2018, 01:12:07 pm
According to the original plans?

Who is 'they'?

Can we get the minutes on your meeting w HY (since you obviously had one)?

Everybody knows who "they" are.....

ricepig

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 22, 2018, 01:37:59 pm
Everybody knows who "they" are.....

I mean, it's plain as day.....

twistitup

Just finish the damn west side stadium - we want to be first class, that might be a good start.

Cinco de Hogo

Michael D Huff AIA

The west side of the stadium is most assuredly NOT 'incomplete'.  It was complete in the 1980's.  It's just the last part left to be renovated to match the current aesthetic.

The logic might go something like this.  The north is visible from a good distance to the north and northeast up the hill, the south side is visible for miles, and the East Side faces campus.  The west side is the least visible part of the stadium.  If it was my project, I would have phased it exactly the way it has been done.

The real issue here (and most problematic) is the fact that any renovations will take up room directly adjacent to where the facade meets the sidewalk, which borders Razorback Road.  I would imagine that the stadium is well within the right-of-way of Razorback Road, which is technically a state highway, and has been negotiated into, or grandfathered in to compliance.  Any further construction on that side may not be allowed or would require excavating into the hill and moving Razorback Road to the east into the donor lots on that side.  Finding more parking is the smallest problem that would be created with this move.  There was much more room on the Stadium Drive side of the stadium and none of the aforementioned issues existed.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on March 22, 2018, 04:06:27 pm
The west side of the stadium is most assuredly NOT 'incomplete'.  It was complete in the 1980's.  It's just the last part left to be renovated to match the current aesthetic.

The logic might go something like this.  The north is visible from a good distance to the north and northeast up the hill, the south side is visible for miles, and the East Side faces campus.  The west side is the least visible part of the stadium.  If it was my project, I would have phased it exactly the way it has been done.

The real issue here (and most problematic) is the fact that any renovations will take up room directly adjacent to where the facade meets the sidewalk, which borders Razorback Road.  I would imagine that the stadium is well within the right-of-way of Razorback Road, which is technically a state highway, and has been negotiated into, or grandfathered in to compliance.  Any further construction on that side may not be allowed or would require excavating into the hill and moving Razorback Road to the east into the donor lots on that side.  Finding more parking is the smallest problem that would be created with this move.  There was much more room on the Stadium Drive side of the stadium and none of the aforementioned issues existed.
You're an architect. I'm sure you are well versed in stadium design. I'm just a guy who looks at DWRRS and scratches my head. There is zero symmetry to it.

The east-west lower sections are cracking concrete. The upper sections are painted metal which has been patched in several places because of rust. The east lower section is several rows taller than the west side. The west lower section near the middle has steel beams extending down to support a section of the press box that extends over that part of the lower west stands. Those beams block the view of fans sitting under the press box.

The west upper deck contains more seats but the east upper deck is taller. Plus the east upper deck is broken up by a walkway near the bottom. There is no walkway on the west upper deck.

The skyboxes/indoor club facade on the east and south sides is prefab concrete or drivet. The west skyboxes/press box is covered with metal siding.

The south endzone squares off with the field creating a more enclosed look. The north endzone project is curved with the seats farther back from the field. There is also a big gap on the northeast side of that project.

The east and west exterior is brick and prefab concrete. The west exterior is steel beams and metal siding. I'm not sure about the north exterior since it's not finished but it much of it will be a functioning building which looks different in the drawings.

Even the video boards are different. The north board is curved. The south board is flat.

To each his own and I'm sure some think it's great but to me the stadium looks like it was designed about a bunch of guys who couldn't agree on anything so they each did a part of it their own way.

pignparadise

Florida State is the opposite. It is Beautiful outside but a metal box inside.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

twistitup

Quote from: pignparadise on March 22, 2018, 05:49:37 pm
Florida State is the opposite. It is Beautiful outside but a metal box inside.

Beautiful!! Look - a finished exterior!

FSU doesn't get everything right, but they did finish their stadiums exterior before moving on to other, 'more important', projects

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 22, 2018, 09:46:34 am

Oh you mean stadiums. Sorry I didn't know this was about stadiums. I was thinking of something else.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: twistitup on March 22, 2018, 05:59:50 pm

FSU doesn't get everything right, but they did finish their stadiums exterior before moving on to other, 'more important', projects

I've been there. Had a boss that graduated with Burt Reynolds. Believe me they would be envious of BWA. They don't even play on campus.

jgphillips3

I think it is long past time we dug down Razorback road and made the Mike Irwin tunnel a reality.  Once Morris has us winning at a good clip, we should push for it.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: twistitup on March 22, 2018, 05:59:50 pm

But there is zero symmetry to it. Especially on the inside so Irwin would be pissed  :D

Mike Irwin

Quote from: ImHogginIt on March 22, 2018, 06:26:58 pm
But there is zero symmetry to it. Especially on the inside so Irwin would be pissed  :D
Looks very symmetrical to me.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 22, 2018, 06:37:22 pm
Looks very symmetrical to me.

RRS is every bit as symmetrical as that stadium. The only difference is their brick facade goes all around the stadium. The inside of that stadium is not symmetrical. No college stadium can be that has undergone renovations.

ricepig

Quote from: ImHogginIt on March 22, 2018, 07:06:11 pm
RRS is every bit as symmetrical as that stadium. The only difference is their brick facade goes all around the stadium. The inside of that stadium is not symmetrical. No college stadium can be that has undergone renovations.

Looks like some of these people just need the Rose Bowl......