Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thurs (8/24/17) updates ...

Started by Kevin McPherson, August 24, 2017, 04:01:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

August 24, 2017, 04:01:56 pm Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 04:37:07 pm by Kevin McPherson
Here's today's segment on The Hog Call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFtXgqgyAZY

* Talked about Josh Leblanc's upcoming visit this weekend. He may be a lock for LSU, but if not, I think Arkansas is ahead of Texas A&M and Georgetown. Just my take. I talked about that as well as what I like about his fit with the Hogs.

* Moses Moody also visiting this weekend, going up on Sunday. If he's not the in-state guy at the top of the Hogs' 2020 wish list, I'd be surprised. He and Chris Moore should be the priorities in-state for that class. Hogs don't typically offer sophomores-to-be, but won't be surprised if Moody gets one soon.

* Talked about Keyshawn Embery moving into IMG Academy this weekend, thus had to reschedule his OV to the following weekend (Sept 1-3).

* Mississippi State trying to set a visit with '18 Hog target Matthew Horton, so they're likely coming into the picture as lone of his 5 OVs. He'll visit the Hogs weekend of Sept 8-10, and if he's not offered before then, I feel like he'll get one during his visit.

* I got to see SW Christian Academy in pick-up games on Tuesday, which gave me a chance to see several of their newcomers ... I talked about that as well.

* Hogs' '17-18 SEC slate was released today. I talked a little about that, including the fact that Arkansas-v-Kentucky at BWA in late February is a good thing. Typically, when those two teams meet only once in a season, it's played in early January. Sets up better for Hogs later in the year = more compelling and CMA teams play their best in the final 3rd of the season.

* I did not talk about CMA's presser that was held at 2 today, but he did reinforce what I've been saying about the Hog newcomers = Gabe is a combo-forward; Darious is a wing/3, and Khalil Garland is a versatile combo guard, can help at the 1, 2, and 3.

Kevin McPherson

August 24, 2017, 09:16:05 pm #1 Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 09:30:11 pm by Kevin McPherson
* Moses Moody -- 2020 SG, NLR / Team SuperStar South -- is currently ranked composite national No. 17 / a 4-star prospect, according to 247Sports ... if he's still in the Top 20-25 by the time he's a senior, he'll be a 5-star. Moses visits Fayetteville on Sunday.

* After reviewing CMA's press conference today, his comments regarding the plan to replace his 6 seniors (consisting of 3 guards, 3 bigs) in the 2018 recruiting class only reinforces my belief (and I've stated this in other threads recently) that they'll look to close the class with 2 more bigs and a guard/wing. With two guards (Isaiah Joe and Desi Sills) and one big (Ethan Henderson) already committed, that leaves 3 scholarships to fill, so it only makes sense that they'd try to maintain the roster balance with 7 scholarship guards/wings and 6 scholarship frontliners.

I still think they'll try to close with a 2-big combo of 6-11 Matthew Horton (PF/C), 6-7 Josh Leblanc (combo-4), 6-7 Reggie Chaney (PF), and/or 6-7 Darius Days (combo-4), plus one guard/wing from the following: 6-3 Keyshawn Embery (CG), 6-4 Keonte Kennedy (CG), or 6-6 Jordan Phillips (wing). Obviously, new and/or old names could surface over the next few weeks, even months, but the ideal 3-player combo to close out the class will be 2 bigs and a guard/wing.

* Got some good quotes today from both Kennedy (visits Sept 8-10) and Phillips (visits Sept 15-17) ... I tweeted those quotes, but to summarize both seem genuinely excited to be visiting the Hogs.  If Arkansas lands either one of them, it will be a quality addition.

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

blu

"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Razorod

Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

gmarv

Thanks Kevin, Good info. as always.

nwahogfan1

Great stuff.  These kids are being highly ranked and will be very hard to reel in.  I hope we can bring them in on weekends we play a Football game. 

imtad16

How do these guys compare to the name we can not mention on this board? Which of the 3 do we have the best shot at? 6-7 Josh Leblanc, 6-7 Reggie Chaney, and/or 6-7 Darius Days?

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: imtad16 on August 25, 2017, 10:15:04 am
How do these guys compare to the name we can not mention on this board? Which of the 3 do we have the best shot at? 6-7 Josh Leblanc, 6-7 Reggie Chaney, and/or 6-7 Darius Days?

Nobody compares to him. I'd say Hogs have a better shot with Leblanc and Chaney than Days because they are set to visit. Leblanc may be LSU bound, but like I said on The Hog Call yesterday, if any school is going to lure him away I believe it will be Arkansas. Chaney definitely likes the Hogs, he's visiting, but getting a Texas kid away from TCU and Texas A&M might be tough.

hdturner

I like our chances landing both Horton & Phillips. I am not confident on the others. If we don't fill last scholarship hopefully we give to Tim Ceasars in 2019 class.