Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBS Sports- SEC underrated, overrated, predicted order of finish

Started by Hogwild, August 23, 2017, 04:28:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwild

CBS college football writers Chip Patterson, Barton Simmons, Jerry Palm, Dennis Dodd, Tom Fornelli, Ben Kercheval, Barrett Sallee each listed their overrated, underrated, bold prediction and the SEC standings-

QuoteJerry Palm's underrated team
Arkansas:

If Arkansas is going to be the surprise team of the SEC, especially in the difficult West division, it is going to have to do what it does best -- pound the football on the ground.  The return of four offensive linemen, led by All-American candidate Frank Ragnow at center, will help.  The Razorbacks are one of the top teams in the nation in time of possession in part because of their ability to control the clock with the running game.  Also, quarterback Austin Allen needs to get back to the form he showed in the first half of last season.  The other thing that has to happen is that new defensive coordinator Paul Rhodes must get his inexperienced front seven up to speed quickly.  If that all goes down, this team could push toward a double-digit win total.

QuoteBold prediction
Dennis Dodd: Butch Jones will make it through the season. Seriously, that's bold since almost everyone has him an early casualty.
Barton Simmons: South Carolina will enter November with a legitimate shot at an SEC East title. 
Jerry Palm: For Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin to keep his job, he's going to have to win at least two of the games against Auburn (home), Arkansas (neutral) and LSU (road).
Chip Patterson: Florida will go 1-3 in November (it plays at Missouri, at South Carolina, vs. UAB and vs. Florida State).
Tom Fornelli: Alabama will lose a conference game!
Ben Kercheval: After developing a reputation as a defensive conference, the SEC finishes with four top-25 offenses.
Barrett Sallee: Auburn, Alabama and Georgia will all be playoff-worthy and have one regular season conference loss each. There will be a legitimate debate about whether the conference deserves two teams in the CFP.

QuoteArkansas predicted finish

Chip Patterson= 5th
Barton Simmons = 6th
Jerry Palm= 4th
Dennis Dodd= 7th
Tom Fornelli= 6th
Ben Kercheval= 6th
Barrett Sallee= 5th

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2017-sec-expert-picks-overrated-underrated-predicted-order-of-finish/

PorkSoda

4th in the SEC wouldn't be a bad year.  that would put us at about 8-9 wins overall and 4-5 wins in conf
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 23, 2017, 04:35:22 pm
4th in the SEC wouldn't be a bad year.  that would put us at about 8-9 wins overall and 4-5 wins in conf

Those predictions are in the SEC WEST - not overall.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on August 23, 2017, 05:52:30 pm
Those predictions are in the SEC WEST - not overall.

That is what soda is talking about. 4th in the west puts us at 8 or 9 wins overall.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Porkchop#1

I rated those writers, and Dennis Dodd came in dead last.

NuttinItUp

QuoteJerry Palm: For Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin to keep his job, he's going to have to win at least two of the games against Auburn (home), Arkansas (neutral) and LSU (road).

This is what scares me about the Texas A&M game. Summy is going to be coaching for his job against us.

Honestly, if we had won the ones we should have against him the last 5 years, he probably wouldn't be there anymore.

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: NuttinItUp on August 23, 2017, 08:42:22 pm
This is what scares me about the Texas A&M game. Summy is going to be coaching for his job against us.

Honestly, if we had won the ones we should have against him the last 5 years, he probably wouldn't be there anymore.

Texas AM is going to truck us

Pig Power

Bacon_Bitz

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 23, 2017, 06:10:18 pm
That is what soda is talking about. 4th in the west puts us at 8 or 9 wins overall.

Not really.

He says - and I quote - "4th in the SEC wouldn't be a bad year.  that would put us at about 8-9 wins overall and 4-5 wins in conf".  Note that he does NOT say "4th in the SEC West".  He may (or may not) have meant to say that, but he didn't.  No one reading what he actually posted can tell if that was his meaning; we can only go by what he DID post.

DeltaBoy

We should finish 3-4th this year. with some breaks. If we catch Lighting in a bottle we could win 10 and finish 2nd .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on August 24, 2017, 01:29:09 pm
Not really.

He says - and I quote - "4th in the SEC wouldn't be a bad year.  that would put us at about 8-9 wins overall and 4-5 wins in conf".  Note that he does NOT say "4th in the SEC West".  He may (or may not) have meant to say that, but he didn't.  No one reading what he actually posted can tell if that was his meaning; we can only go by what he DID post.

You can't. But I understand what he said just fine.

Everyone knows that the sec is split up in 2 divisions.  If this was the big 12 then overall would be the entire conference. 

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 24, 2017, 02:44:27 pm
You can't. But I understand what he said just fine.

Everyone knows that the sec is split up in 2 divisions.  If this was the big 12 then overall would be the entire conference.

Hippie,

Whether or not he meant what you say above (and, he may have), it is still a FACT that we cannot draw that conclusion from what he wrote above (for it does NOT say that, to the exclusion of any other interpretation).

And, unless you've spoken to or otherwise communicated with him about what he meant, you CANNOT know that what you posted above is "what he meant".  It's simply what you read into what he wrote - one interpretation (not even the one that is "obviously" the most likely).

What YOU mean to say is that you BELIEVE that to be what he meant.  And, it MAY have been.  But there is no logical way you can get from what he posted to what you believe he meant, and say that it is the ONLY interpretation, or that he MUST have meant that.  Regardless of what you may say or argue, it is simply what you THINK he meant.  Even if he now responds and says it is what he meant, we couldn't have known that just from the post above.  So, why are you acting as if it is?

It's kind of like if I posted that I had $.15 in my pocket, and you post in response that I MUST have a dime and a nickel.  While that's a good guess, you can't say FOR SURE that is is true.  You may think you "know" it - and, it may turn out to be true - but from the mere statement of "I have $.15 in my pocket", there is no way for you to be sure.

In both cases, not enough information for you to act as if you "know" for sure.

PorkSoda

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 23, 2017, 06:10:18 pm
yeah 4th in in the west is essentially 4th overall as well.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

gchamblee

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on August 24, 2017, 03:42:38 pm
Hippie,

Whether or not he meant what you say above (and, he may have), it is still a FACT that we cannot draw that conclusion from what he wrote above (for it does NOT say that, to the exclusion of any other interpretation).

And, unless you've spoken to or otherwise communicated with him about what he meant, you CANNOT know that what you posted above is "what he meant".  It's simply what you read into what he wrote - one interpretation (not even the one that is "obviously" the most likely).

What YOU mean to say is that you BELIEVE that to be what he meant.  And, it MAY have been.  But there is no logical way you can get from what he posted to what you believe he meant, and say that it is the ONLY interpretation, or that he MUST have meant that.  Regardless of what you may say or argue, it is simply what you THINK he meant.  Even if he now responds and says it is what he meant, we couldn't have known that just from the post above.  So, why are you acting as if it is?

It's kind of like if I posted that I had $.15 in my pocket, and you post in response that I MUST have a dime and a nickel.  While that's a good guess, you can't say FOR SURE that is is true.  You may think you "know" it - and, it may turn out to be true - but from the mere statement of "I have $.15 in my pocket", there is no way for you to be sure.

In both cases, not enough information for you to act as if you "know" for sure.

Is this really worth arguing that much over?

HiggiePiggy

OneTuskOverTheLine™

We're finishing first or a bitter second... I predict an SEC championship and a Heisman for Cole Kelly(?)ey; by 2020 is possible.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.